Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

IR cut filters for M8.2
Old 03-17-2012   #1
randomm

IR cut filters for M8.2

Hi all,

let me start by apologising asking something that has probably been discussed over and over. I just couldn't find an appropriate thread so I thought to ask the kind people here...

I'm looking for IR cut filters for my newly acquired M8.2, and to be honest, am really wondering whether I should pay the premium for B+W filters vs cheaper stuff, like tiny.cc/dn0bbw

I need to get 40.5mm filters, at least two at this point. One for my J3 and the other one to remove glass from and insert into a 40mm filter frame for my Canon 35/2 - I don't think anyone makes IR cut filters with a 40mm thread (I have managed to acquire a number of skylight filters for it and am prepared to smash the glass out of one for this purpose (I have already DIY'd myself one yellow filter for B&W film this way).

With many thanks,

Jani

Old 03-17-2012   #2
kokoshawnuff

there are also step-up rings for this purpose (40mm to 40.5mm in you instance) that are very cheap.

As for B+W filters or 'lesser' brands, it is entirely up to you. The B+W MRC have glass that won't contribute to flare or other image degradation that you may run into with some filters. Ultimately up to you to decide what is worth it...

Old 03-17-2012   #3
randomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoshawnuff View Post
there are also step-up rings for this purpose (40mm to 40.5mm in you instance) that are very cheap.

As for B+W filters or 'lesser' brands, it is entirely up to you. The B+W MRC have glass that won't contribute to flare or other image degradation that you may run into with some filters. Ultimately up to you to decide what is worth it...
I could never find the 40.5mm ring but do have the 43mm one actually, which is a good point, might be less work that way!

Old 03-17-2012   #4
LCT

What is tiny.cc/dn0bbw?
40.5mm UV/IR filters can be had here: http://tinyurl.com/3bjhhb7

Old 03-17-2012   #5
randomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCT View Post
What is tiny.cc/dn0bbw?
40.5mm UV/IR filters can be had here: http://tinyurl.com/3bjhhb7
That link takes one to a page featuring one of those off brand filters that I was asking about.

Those Schneider ones seems pretty expensive to me.

My only gripe with this whole thing is that I'd rather not spend hundreds on filters if the off brand ones do 90% of the same thing as the brand ones do. That's more or less the question. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear...

Old 03-17-2012   #6
Rob-F
Old School

Just do what I did: wait until someone on RFF puts the filter you want up for sale in the classifieds. It doesn't take long.

--Variously attributed to Moms Maybley, Mark Twain, etc.

Old 03-17-2012   #7
LCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomm View Post
...I'd rather not spend hundreds on filters if the off brand ones do 90% of the same thing as the brand ones do...
I have no experience with those filters sorry. I would have ordered one if i'd used the Rokkor 40/2 on my M8.2 but the framelines of the latter don't match well with 40mm lenses unfortunately.

Old 03-22-2012   #8
victoriapio

My understanding is that b&w MAKES the Leica IR cut filters.

Old 03-22-2012   #9
randomm

I bought the cheapo-ones off the *bay, lets see if they work. Luckily I have a good test subject: my purple-as-heck-through-M8-sofa.

Old 03-27-2012   #10
randomm

Cheer the modern consumer economics: filters from Singapore to me in 7 days including a weekend in the middle.

They seem to work fine vis a vis IR cut. I'll report back if I get any nasty reflections etc with them in use.

Old 03-27-2012   #11
brbo

Can you tell me which one did you get? How much was it?

I have a silver B&W UV/IR 40.5, but I want it in black to match the lens...

Old 03-27-2012   #12
randomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Can you tell me which one did you get? How much was it?

I have a silver B&W UV/IR 40.5, but I want it in black to match the lens...
This was one of them: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320858460780

Old 03-28-2012   #13
brbo

Thanks.

(grrr... they won't send to Slovenia(EU))

Old 03-28-2012   #14
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriapio View Post
My understanding is that b&w MAKES the Leica IR cut filters.
I heard a while back that Marumi makes the Leica branded filters and looking at the chrome filters one would definitely see the similarity. The BW ones are different as they are spec'd as UV/IR 486 cut filters. The glass is a bit different as is the coating. They have a slightly different spectral response but not noticeable in the imagery at all. Marumi filters are identical to the Leica branded ones as far as I can tell.

Phil Forrest