Old 03-11-2012   #26
taskoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by timor View Post
My personal experience shows that Double X is good for scanning but not so nice for wet printing. It was made for projecting purposes where the Tri-X is meant for printing (even tho it feels like a technical film to me). I never liked Tri-X printed because of the overall gray look it delivers and the T-grain that I find unpleasant, so I might be not very objective.
Saying that I would choose Tri-X over XX if I am going to wet print my images.

Than again, Tom A. has GREAT shots taken with Double XX and his scans are absolutely technically perfect and beautiful. May be you should try a roll of 100 feet short end of XX to try it out Frank since you have longer experience with Tri-X and you will see the pros and cons right away.

Old 03-11-2012   #27
FrankS

45 pages of double x info in the link that Timor provided! I'm working my way through it.

I use Rodinal and HC110 developers because of their low cost (use high dilution) and long shelf life. There is info on double X in Rodinal, but I don't use Rodinal on faster film because of excessive grain.

Anyone tried double x in HC110?

Old 03-11-2012   #28
timor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Timor, thanks for your kind offer. I'll be heading into Toronto this week and plan to pick up a bulk roll.
Good. let me know. My e-mail is [email protected]. I will make 30-40 feet roll for you (in darkness you never know ).

Old 03-11-2012   #29
timor

[quote=taskoni;1831253] It was made for projecting purposes where the Tri-X is meant for printing (even tho it feels like a technical film to me). I never liked Tri-X printed because of the overall gray look it delivers and the T-grain that I find unpleasant, so I might be not very objective.[quote]
Not quite, DXN is not a projection film, it is a master negative film from which images have to be copied (nomen omen - wet) to projection film.
BTW Tri X is a random grain film, not a tabular grain. Tmax film has T-grain.

Old 03-11-2012   #30
timor

Quote:
Very often. Usualy 1+49.

Old 03-11-2012   #31
taskoni

[quote=timor;1831300][quote=taskoni;1831253] It was made for projecting purposes where the Tri-X is meant for printing (even tho it feels like a technical film to me). I never liked Tri-X printed because of the overall gray look it delivers and the T-grain that I find unpleasant, so I might be not very objective.
Quote:
Not quite, DXN is not a projection film, it is a master negative film from which images have to be copied (nomen omen - wet) to projection film.
BTW Tri X is a random grain film, not a tabular grain. Tmax film has T-grain.
Ah, you are right about the grain! Thanks for correcting me on this one

Old 03-11-2012   #32
---f
one day at a time

that kodak site show the DoubleXX rolls out of stock. :-(

Old 03-11-2012   #33
---f
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider View Post
Wow a bunch of you montrealer's in here! next time someone does a big order I want in on that!

Frank, If you want to try Double X but dont want it all I'm sure some one would split it with you ;-)

I'm a transplanted Montrealer now in Vancouver. But I grew up in NDG.

Old 03-11-2012   #34
Mablo

If you don't mind shooting 100 ASA film the Orwo 54 looks just right to my eyes. Tom A. has some examples on his Flickr stream.

Old 03-11-2012   #35
timor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireboy View Post
that kodak site show the DoubleXX rolls out of stock. :-(
We are putting to much pressure on Kodak.
A lot of stuff on Kodak website is out of stock. Hmm... Or this is pending the price increase, or Kodak is abandoning film production altogether. Will call them tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2012   #36
timor

Update on Eastman Double X. Never mind Kodak website. Just talked to motion picture customer service and in Toronto is a batch of 8 400' rolls available. I did not ask for 1000' rolls.
Here is phone number:
416-761-4646

Old 03-13-2012   #37
FrankS

Just bought a 100ft roll of TriX to tide me over. Thanks Timor, for the XX info.

Old 03-13-2012   #38
Benjamin Marks

To return to a previous "prong" of this thread, what does the Kentmere look like? Is it like HP5+ or like Bergger 200?

Old 03-13-2012   #39
timor

Is Bergger film available anywhere in US ? And then do they make any roll film ? Or just large format ?

Old 03-14-2012   #40
Benjamin Marks

I think Badger Graphic used to sell Bergger film, or possibly freestyle.

Old 03-14-2012   #41
timor

No, no trace of it. B&H has some FB paper from Bergger. But it looks like Bergger had some time ago a 35mm film sold as BPF 200. It was rebranded Forte.

Old 03-14-2012   #42
forsakenrider
Salad

Timor, if you want to offer up some XX to another canadian I would love to shoot some! Other wise Im on a waiting list for some short ends.

Old 03-14-2012   #43
timor

Email me please.

Old 03-14-2012   #44
pschauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskoni View Post
My personal experience shows that Double X is good for scanning but not so nice for wet printing. .
I get very good results wet printing Double-X. Rated at EI 250 I develop it in Rodinal 1+50 for 7 minutes (3 inversions to start and 3 inversions every other minute). The negatives look a bit thin compared to Plus-X but print very easily with a #2 contrast filter.

I can also rate it at 650 and develop in Diafine. This also gives me nice prints.

Old 03-15-2012   #45
forsakenrider
Salad

Timor: e-mail sent.

FrankS, was the 100' roll of tri-x a "best deal in film"?

Old 03-15-2012   #46
timor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider View Post
Timor: e-mail sent.
Sent respond.
TX bulk is at the time best deal at Henry's $53 (+ tax). Even Kentmere, which is nowhere the quality of TX, costs more.

5222 in HC-110
Old 03-16-2012   #47
Scandium

5222 in HC-110

Quote:
45 pages of double x info in the link that Timor provided! I'm working my way through it.

I've done 5222 in HC-110(B) at EI 250 for 6 minutes and HC-110(H) for 11.5 minutes.

ZI, 50mm f/2.0 ZM
http://gascherb.zenfolio.com

Old 03-20-2012   #48
jb17kx

Don't call it XX - it's Double-X, DXN, or 5222.

It can be best described as the missing link between PX and TX, but it's the same emulsion as it was in the '50s. PX and TX on the other hand have been updated a few times since then, so DXN is the closest you'll come to that "old Tri-X" look we know and love from '60s press photograhpy.

It is correct to note though that its designed to be contact-printed to dupe films rather than directly enlarged. Be interesting to check whether or not a diffusion or condensing enlarger makes a difference though...

For those of you attempting to buy via Kodak on-line, you should note that that's a very new endeavour for them and they may not have ironed out all the creases yet. For a long time you ordered by fax or phone, so that's probably the way to go if you're impatient. Note also that the shortest distance you'll get is 400 ft in one can as one roll - you'll need to break it down or load directly from the full roll.

The two ORWO films are both very good and are also old-style emulsions, in this case derived from the very early Agfapan films and fifty years of East German experimentation :P I've no personal experience with them but I like what I'm seeing on Flickr.

A good film to check also is Kodak HAWKEYE Surveillance Film 2485. Comes in 150 ft rolls on ESTAR Thin-Base and is nominally EI 400. Stunning latitude though, and extended-red sensitivity as well. Trade-off is high grain, but again it looks okay and also prints quite well. I got a bunch for AU$21 per 150 ft but that was second-hand, so I don't know what list price should be. Comes from Kodak Aerial and Industrial instead of the professional imaging departments.

Failing that, can't go wrong with bog-standard T-MAX, and the price is more than reasonable considering what you're getting.