Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

de-GAS-ing
Old 03-08-2012   #1
intheviewfinder
Rich Beaubien

de-GAS-ing

Over the last couple of years I decided that I needed to reverse the GAS. Besides that I've been finding figital a bit nonsensical. So I've been selling off all of my film gear. (I've still got a couple of pieces left. And I'll never sell the MP but it was time, at my age to start letting go.

Here's a few of my favorites (note the lack of RFs)...

1. Nikon F with the Photomic FTn finder - Classic, weighed a ton. Saved forever to get it.
2. Canon A1 - One of my all time favorite cameras. Small and quick. Actually gave this to a friend's son never expecting to see it return when it showed up on my doorstep last year.
3. Canon FTb - Work horse of a camera. Used a couple of these to death. In fact I destroyed two out on White Sands but that's another story.
4. Rollei 35SE - Great little throw-it-in-a-pocket camera. Chased my daughter all over the place with this.
5. Pentax 6x7 - Unbelievable beast but gorgeous negs. Too bad those chains kept breaking.
6. Eastman 8x10 - Another beast that helped me produced some beautiful work.

I'm now selling off the digital gear I have thinking I'll go KISS. Probably purchase the Fuji X-Pro1 and three lenses and stop at that.

Anyone else de-GAS-ing?

Old 03-08-2012   #2
JHP

Can someone please tell me what GAS stands for?

Old 03-08-2012   #3
Ampersand_Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHP View Post
Can someone please tell me what GAS stands for?

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

-Thomas

Old 03-08-2012   #4
bgb

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Old 03-08-2012   #5
a10101100
Owl in a human suit.

I'm actually doing somewhat similar but maybe because I started from digital to film, and owing to the high depreciation of electronics, I've been trimming off my digital "collection" while acquiring some M glass and M6s. Odd, I know.

Now, it's just down to the M9 and Nex7 for digital. I like how the crop factor actually works in my favor now. I've only had 28/35/50 so with both FF and now the crop, I've sufficient coverage. Keeping fingers cross about GAS though.

Cheers, all.

Old 03-08-2012   #6
JHP

I am 100% a sufferer.

Old 03-08-2012   #7
batterytypehah!
Lord of the Dings

Gearhead nit-picky answer first: The Rollei is full-frame.

And no, I'm probably still firmly on the acquisition side.

“Hair-splitting, of course. But hey, it's a LEICA. Probably there are those who get excited about the colour of the hairs you split.” – Roger Hicks

Contax IIa + Leica IIIf + M3 (project) + Zorki-1 (project) + Fuji GS645 + FED-2 + Vitomatic II + Revue 400SE + Olympus XA + more + still more

Old 03-08-2012   #8
Coldkennels

I'm just letting off a bit of pressure in the GAS chamber right now. I've acquired a lot of gear in the past year - some of which I love, some I don't, some of which I've bought, some of which I haven't, and some of which I use... you get the point.

I wrote a gigantic list of every piece of glass and every camera body in this house. Now I'm trimming down that list, bit-by-bit, until I find the bare minimum I'm willing to keep.

Doesn't mean I'm not in the market for, oh, I don't know, a nice M6...

Every fortnight, I sit down and record some ramblings about film photography which gets uploaded to pdexposures.tv.
Nate calls it a podcast. I call it a shambles. But we all have fun, and isn't that what counts?

- Tony

Old 03-08-2012   #9
intheviewfinder
Rich Beaubien

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterytypehah! View Post
Gearhead nit-picky answer first: The Rollei is full-frame.
Really? It was so small with that collapsing lens I remember it as a 1/2 frame. But this 60+ year old brain could be wrong.

Old 03-08-2012   #10
MISH

yes the Rollei is full frame

Old 03-08-2012   #11
noimmunity
registered niche user

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheviewfinder View Post
Over the last couple of years I decided that I needed to reverse the GAS. Besides that I've been finding figital a bit nonsensical. So I've been selling off all of my film gear. (I've still got a couple of pieces left. And I'll never sell the MP but it was time, at my age to start letting go.

Here's a few of my favorites (note the lack of RFs)...

1. Nikon F with the Photomic FTn finder - Classic, weighed a ton. Saved forever to get it.
2. Canon A1 - One of my all time favorite cameras. Small and quick. Actually gave this to a friend's son never expecting to see it return when it showed up on my doorstep last year.
3. Canon FTb - Work horse of a camera. Used a couple of these to death. In fact I destroyed two out on White Sands but that's another story.
4. Rollei 35SE - Great little 1/2 frame throw-it-in-a-pocket camera. Chased my daughter all over the place with this.
5. Pentax 6x7 - Unbelievable beast but gorgeous negs. Too bad those chains kept breaking.
6. Eastman 8x10 - Another beast that helped me produced some beautiful work.

I'm now selling off the digital gear I have thinking I'll go KISS. Probably purchase the Fuji X-Pro1 and three lenses and stop at that.

Anyone else de-GAS-ing?
Yes. Sold off Leica lenses.

No. Buying an X-Pro1.

And my favorite 35mm modern rangerfinder was just discontinued (the silver ZI).

Hmmm.

Fuji came in at the right time/right place.

I think you will be happier with KISKIL as a guide. Plus, dude, your choice is not spartan by any means!

Fuji XP1 8/14/23/35/55-200 (x1.5)
Sigma DP Merrill 19/30/50 (x1.5)
ZI, R4A 24/50/90 + 21/35/85 and a 40.

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-09-2012   #12
abearman

I like the idea of 8x10...working it is for sure a whole 'nother thing...

Old 03-09-2012   #13
Robert Lai

I've managed to accumulate a lot of gear over the years. When I've sold things, I usually regret it, and either pay more to get the same item back, or get an even more expensive item to replace it. It's human psychology. The pain of loss is far greater than the expense to gain something. In your case, you've accumulated a lifetime of cameras which you will have a hard time finding again in the same condition.

Hence, I would suggest that you carefully pack these items away in a cool, dry environment with humidity control. Then, explore your digital dreams to your heart's content. One day, you'll feel a yearning for that Nikon F again (for example), and it will still be there.