Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Micro 4/3 Cameras

Micro 4/3 Cameras This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 04-15-2012   #26
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Nope, I'll wait for one in the upper corner. I have no problem with the SLR-type position, but for this style of shooting I much prefer the RF form factor. I'm very happy with how my NEX-7 is working out in this respect.

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 04-15-2012   #27
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
Nope, I'll wait for one in the upper corner. I have no problem with the SLR-type position, but for this style of shooting I much prefer the RF form factor. I'm very happy with how my NEX-7 is working out in this respect.
Well, we agree on that. i am foregoing the E-M5 also, and I am not interested in the E-P3's touch screen either.

What do you make of the new Fuji X-Pro camera?

Old 04-15-2012   #28
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler_101 View Post
Well, we agree on that. i am foregoing the E-M5 also, and I am not interested in the E-P3's touch screen either.

What do you make of the new Fuji X-Pro camera?
Very impressive, but out of my immediate price range. Also, Fuji products seem like they could use a little more time in the oven before they are released. Look at the X100 - it's been usable since release, but only now is it really starting to shine after almost two dozen firmware updates!

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 04-16-2012   #29
rparmar

For me, the EVF permits much faster and more accurate use of the camera. It's amazing getting the fast menus and so on right in front of my eyeball, something that is definitely an advantage over an OVF.

I do wish Olympus had an option to engage the menu and review images in the viewfinder as well. On bright days or in dark venues that would have real advantages.

Old 04-17-2012   #30
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparmar View Post
For me, the EVF permits much faster and more accurate use of the camera. It's amazing getting the fast menus and so on right in front of my eyeball, something that is definitely an advantage over an OVF.

I do wish Olympus had an option to engage the menu and review images in the viewfinder as well. On bright days or in dark venues that would have real advantages.
Fair enough, I've never used one so perhaps I shouldn't comment at all (and I'd like to try one but not possible on my camera).

I have an ocular viewfinder attached to my E-P1 for use with its standard lens (the 20/1.7) and I like going back and forth between the viewfinder and the LCD screen. Set lens at f 8 and in hyperfocal distance and you can turn off the screen and just shoot with the finder (you must separate focusing and capture functions onto different buttons). Or set parameters with LCD screen take a shot or two, then switch to the finder to see the scene from a different more contained perspective. It makes you flexible or gives you a chance to be flexible--freer from constant input of technical information. I usually shoot aperture priority, but I've done a lot of manual shooting as well. But that just suits the way I like to use a camera.

The other thing about the EVF--what I've read--no experience as I said, is that the viewfinder drains the battery.

Old 04-18-2012   #31
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparmar View Post

The Olympus E-P2 does allow for full menu and image review in the viewfinder. To access it you will need to press the viewfinder switch after engaging the menu or image review.

My only quibble with EVFs in general has to do with the way the view is presented--a little jerky and overly contrasty, sometimes grainy and murky. I much prefer the clear view of the optical finder. But that's not a deal breaker for me. I've come to the conclusion that I will never again buy any camera that does not offer some ability for eye-level viewing--be it built-in or a plug-in option. While I sometimes use the LCD exclusively, I like the ability to choose how I want to see the image.

Old 04-18-2012   #32
rparmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler_101 View Post
The other thing about the EVF--what I've read--no experience as I said, is that the viewfinder drains the battery.
I can't be sure, but it seems to me from my usage that the viewfinder preserves battery life compared with using the LCD.

Old 04-18-2012   #33
rparmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
The Olympus E-P2 does allow for full menu and image review in the viewfinder. To access it you will need to press the viewfinder switch after engaging the menu or image review.
Good grief! I did not know this! Thanks!

But, in a way, this is even more irritating. Having to press the EVF button on each change between modes is annoying. I guess they still need that setting I referred to! The image should stay in the EVF unless I tell it not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
My only quibble with EVFs in general has to do with the way the view is presented--a little jerky and overly contrasty, sometimes grainy and murky. I much prefer the clear view of the optical finder. But that's not a deal breaker for me.
Agreed. But EVFs will get better. Otherwise, how will they get us to buy a new camera?

Old 04-18-2012   #34
raid
Dad Photographer

In strong sunshine it is very useful to have an EVF. The screen becomes useless due to tne glare.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/