Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Leica Fixed Lens Compacts

Leica Fixed Lens Compacts For the many and varied fixed lens Leica digital compact cameras

Leica X1 - My Choice
Old 02-28-2012   #1
dave lackey

Leica X1 - My Choice

So, this 35mm pov thing has been getting in the way. Last week, Andrew brought his NEX 7 and X1 to lunch at Manuel's and it turned out to be a fine way to spend an hour or so on a very rainy, grey day.

The NEX 7 was cool and the build quality felt excellent. My focus was on the X1 and it did not disappoint! I spent about 10 minutes walking around in the rain just shooting anything that was there and came away very impressed.

I have spent many hours researching the X1 images on flickriver and all over the place.

http://www.flickriver.com/search/leica+x1/

Many more hours talking with actual shooters of the X1.

And yet even more hours wrapping my brain around a completely different pov than I am used to. I don't think when I compose, I just react to a 50mm pov. Changing to anything else takes thinking and I try to avoid that at all costs. I even went to Showcase to try out the D7000 and immediately hated that plasticy lump! So, back to a compact camera...

But, it seems that if images like those in flickriver are attainable, well, it may be that I need to start thinking again....???did I say that?

Now to find a paying gig to fund it.

Dave

Old 02-28-2012   #2
helenhill
the Beauty of Light

Why not ...Go for it
Beautiful Images...has its focusing/ergonomic quirks
But what doesn't

Too bad You Missed 'sepiareverb's' X1 in the claassifieds / great price $1100.00

35 2.8 Summaron ~ 50 2.5 Summarit ~ M5. ~ Iphone6

Old 02-28-2012   #3
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Why not ...Go for it
But what doesn't

Too bad You Missed 'sepiareverb's' X1 in the claassifieds / great price $1100.00
Yes, we talked but living expenses and medical bills are killing me.

Dave

Old 02-28-2012   #4
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Why not ...Go for it
But what doesn't

Hmmm...focusing/ergo quirks...sounds like my III F. Sure has more than a passing resemblance!

Dave

Old 02-28-2012   #5
Eric T

The Leica X1 is a great camera. I take mine with me everywhere.

Old 02-28-2012   #6
hteasley
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
But, it seems that if images like those in flickriver are attainable, well, it may be that I need to start thinking again....???did I say that?

Now to find a paying gig to fund it.
I enjoyed many of the images from my X1, but I ended up selling it. It just wasn't quite the shooting experience I was after.

I played with an X100 the other day, and that, I thought, was a bit closer to comfortable for me. But I don't know the circumstance where I'd feel good about shooting with that and not my M9. So I think I'm going to pass on the incipient GAS attack I felt with the X100, or Ben's NEX-5n.

Old 02-28-2012   #7
Vics

It's the only digicam that has ever made me want to jump in. It's just that the pool's too deep!

My Flickr

Old 02-28-2012   #8
sepiareverb
-

It really is a wonderful camera (and thanks for the plug Helen). With the aux VF and the screen turned off it really is very much like a Barnack. I think I'll have another one day- perhaps an X2.

Old 02-28-2012   #9
hteasley
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
It really is a wonderful camera (and thanks for the plug Helen). With the aux VF and the screen turned off it really is very much like a Barnack. I think I'll have another one day- perhaps an X2.
If the X2 comes out with an EVF as good as the Sony NEX EVF, I'd be first in line. That EVF is amazing, just stunning. An X2 with that EVF, maybe an f2 lens, and that would be awesome, just unbeatable.

Old 02-28-2012   #10
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hteasley View Post
If the X2 comes out with an EVF as good as the Sony NEX EVF, I'd be first in line. That EVF is amazing, just stunning. An X2 with that EVF, maybe an f2 lens, and that would be awesome, just unbeatable.
The next one is always the problem, isn't it? Photokina in September and if we are lucky, an X2 in whatever form on the market in 12-16 months. Life is too short.

The Earth travels all the way around the Sun in that length of time, so I would rather shoot now than wait for something else that can be bought later anyway. Lost opportunities because of waiting on the latest and greatest, not me. I have a III F and an M3 that are capturing images everyday.

Might as well add the X1 now with a different format and different pov.

Dave

Old 02-29-2012   #11
jsrockit

Dave, why haven't you considered the X100 over the X1? Once I got the Fuji, the X1 was no longer needed. The only place where the X1 was better was with lens distortion... but we are taking about a lens that is also a stop slower. The X1's AF is super slow and quite annoying really. Still, capable of great images though.

Old 02-29-2012   #12
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Dave, why haven't you considered the X100 over the X1? Once I got the Fuji, the X1 was no longer needed. The only place where the X1 was better was with lens distortion... but we are taking about a lens that is also a stop slower. The X1's AF is super slow and quite annoying really. Still, capable of great images though.
Not interested.

Why did I pick the love of my life and not someone else? Why do I choose to drive what I drive? Why did I dump the S3 2000 for the M3? Why did I ditch the Harley Davidson after all those years and start riding the BMW K1200LT? It's really simple for me, as I tend to know what I love and that is enough for me. In this case, the X1 is a better choice for me, considering the physical size, feel, aesthetics, images and the fact that it is still part of the camera family that I align myself with because I happen to love it. The same reason I do not use the Nikons much anymore and got rid of the DSLRs. All capable, just boring and not satisfying to use for me.

That is just me....

Dave

Old 02-29-2012   #13
jsrockit

Sounds good Dave. I was just curious. It's still a great camera and I miss mine at times due to the size and weight.

Old 02-29-2012   #14
Johann Espiritu
Lawyer / Ninja

The Leica X1 is the only camera that brought me back to digital after not being satisfied with having to use a DSLR-sized camera to get the image quality I was after. (I used a Canon 5D and big "L" lenses for a while until I finally gave it up to go shoot exclusively on film.)

The X1 gave me both the small size yet APS-C sensor, and it was set at my favorite FL - 35mm. However, after a few months of enjoying it, I eventually got an M9 so I could use my existing M-mount lenses. I took both of them to a recent trip through the Holy Land and Petra, and loved the combo.

The moral of the story: the X1, as lovely as it is, is the gateway drug to the M9! It happened not only to me, but a friend as well! Haha!

Some sample photos from both cameras on the abovementioned trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yophoto...7627969164809/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yophoto...7627953867501/

My Flickr

manilacamerastyle

Old 02-29-2012   #15
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Sounds good Dave. I was just curious. It's still a great camera and I miss mine at times due to the size and weight.
Yes, the size and weight is very close the III F which really suits me. Just for grins, I tried the NEX 7 (too big, too heavy, too...not beautiful) but solidly built. Then I stopped by and tried the "affordable" DSLR...the Nikon D7000 and could not give it back soon enough as it was awful! Plasticy, uncomfortable to hold, huge as in a cube-like lump of heavy something.

Upon arrival at home, the FE2 felt luxurious by comparison to the first two above. Then, the III F came out of the bag with the wrist strap and it felt like a comfortable pair of jeans, like it was meant to be. That is how the X1 felt as soon as I picked it up and started using it.

Now to get paid for something, anything and move on with actually getting one. I look forward to a small lens on the III F in one pocket and an X1 in the other....

Dave

Old 02-29-2012   #16
robert blu
quiet photographer

X1 ? yes, please
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-29-2012   #17
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Espiritu View Post
The Leica X1 is the only camera that brought me back to digital after not being satisfied with having to use a DSLR-sized camera to get the image quality I was after. (I used a Canon 5D and big "L" lenses for a while until I finally gave it up to go shoot exclusively on film.)

The X1 gave me both the small size yet APS-C sensor, and it was set at my favorite FL - 35mm. However, after a few months of enjoying it, I eventually got an M9 so I could use my existing M-mount lenses. I took both of them to a recent trip through the Holy Land and Petra, and loved the combo.

The moral of the story: the X1, as lovely as it is, is the gateway drug to the M9! It happened not only to me, but a friend as well! Haha!

Some sample photos from both cameras on the abovementioned trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yophoto...7627969164809/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yophoto...7627953867501/
Johann, nice images there! I can see where the M9 and the X1 are the best choices for that trip!

I haven't been to a real baptism in a river as you photographed. Much more interesting than the ritual here in the States.

I find your coverage interesting as well as Damaso's coverage of the Pentecostals in Barcelona. Thanks for sharing the link.

Dave

Old 02-29-2012   #18
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
X1 ? yes, please
robert
Hi, Robert! Sent you an email, did you get it?

Dave

Old 02-29-2012   #19
jsrockit

Quote:
I look forward to a small lens on the III F in one pocket and an X1 in the other....
That's a very cool set-up!

Old 02-29-2012   #20
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Hi, Robert! Sent you an email, did you get it?
Yes, grazie. I just sometimes think to buy an m4/3 camera (olympus ?) with a medium tele lens for some special occasion...but our governement said we have to make sacrifices ...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-29-2012   #21
hteasley
Pupil

Quote:
The next one is always the problem, isn't it? Photokina in September and if we are lucky, an X2 in whatever form on the market in 12-16 months. Life is too short.
Too true. But as I said, I don't quite have an X1-shaped hole in my camera bag at the moment. I shot my X1, got some of my favorite images from it ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/harryte...57625992693968 is probably my favorite, followed my my portrait of my dog, also in that set), but its quirks didn't quite suit me. The X100 is closer, the NEX-5n with EVF closer still, but I'm perfectly happy to shoot my current cameras without pining overmuch for an X2.

If it came out as I described, I'd cave in a heartbeat, but I'm not wasting time wishing... I'm looking through viewfinders taking shots.

Old 02-29-2012   #22
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hteasley View Post
Too true. But as I said, I don't quite have an X1-shaped hole in my camera bag at the moment. I shot my X1, got some of my favorite images from it ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/harryte...57625992693968 is probably my favorite, followed my my portrait of my dog, also in that set), but its quirks didn't quite suit me. The X100 is closer, the NEX-5n with EVF closer still, but I'm perfectly happy to shoot my current cameras without pining overmuch for an X2.

If it came out as I described, I'd cave in a heartbeat, but I'm not wasting time wishing... I'm looking through viewfinders taking shots.
I hear ya! Thanks for the link...it is rather a poetic image, isn't it? It's all about what works for each of us and, IMO, not waiting for the next best thing. Life is too short for that.

Dave