Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Yashica RF

Yashica RF For all Yashica Rangefinder cameras, whether fixed lens or classic Leica Screw Mount !

Yashica 35 (1958)
Old 05-30-2015   #1
NorpA

Yashica 35 (1958)

I am trying to repair a nice Yashica 35 (1958). This camera is simply perfect (nice rangefinder, smooth focus control, correct shutter), except the film transport mechanism: when using the wind lever the internal take up spool doesn't rotate as expected... in fact I assume it should rotate clockwise, while the wind lever rotates counterclockwise... in my case the take up spool rotates ccw when unloaded and remains in the same position if the friction (film loaded) increases.

Do you know if there is a repairing manual around? The Internet is overloaded by the later Yashica Electro, without any love for this old beauty.

Regards,

Last edited by NorpA : 05-30-2015 at 09:28. Reason: ++ external picture

Old 06-07-2015   #2
jajong

Hi there NorpA. I have got one of these, and I had a look under the bottom plate.It is a straightforward mechanism that cannot go wrong, unless cogwheels are missing.
Before you have a look yourself, check if the little wheel in the bottomplate points to A, otherwise the transport mechanism will be disengaged. If it is in A position, the mechanism may be stuck in the R position ( because of dirt, old grease etc). In that case unscrew the 5 screws and lift the plate, and clean the cogwheels etc.
Good luck.

Cheers,
Jan

Old 06-16-2015   #3
NorpA

Thank you Jan,
shortly I will describe my humble restoration in this topic.
It has been an excellent exercise, for a beginner, since the mechanism is pretty simple.

May I ask you why did you sell the camera?

Old 06-16-2015   #4
jajong

Hi NorpA, How are you getting along with your camera? Did you fix it?
By the way, I have not sold mine (I actually have got 2: the 2.8 and the 1.9) and I agree with you: they are solid, smooth shooters.

Cheers,
Jan

Old 06-16-2015   #5
NorpA

well, I isolated the root cause with the transport mechanism and reached out Mark Hama for spare parts, unfortunately he sold out everything for this camera so I will try with an irreversible solution. I will post pics soon. Thanks for your interest!