Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Fuji X Interchangeable Lens Cameras

View Poll Results: What are your plans for the X Pro-1?
I have my pre-order in 58 17.06%
I'll wait to see a demo model or reviews, but I'm very interested 76 22.35%
Perhaps within a year after the bugs get worked out 59 17.35%
I'm like it, but its too expensive. Maybe used in the future 52 15.29%
I read about it, but I don't plan on owning it 83 24.41%
The Fuji, what? Haven't heard of it 12 3.53%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2012   #226
andredossantos

Exactly, these camera's are basically everything I've wanted in a digital minus a great manual focusing system. However, I am willing to give up manual focusing as long as everything else is there. And IMO, it certainly is.

And I will never get the complaints about autofocusing being bad coming from RF users. Isn't a RF a "center point focus, then recompose" type of camera? That's exactly how I use my X100 and don't have a problem focusing.

Website

Flickr

Old 03-16-2012   #227
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by andredossantos View Post
And I will never get the complaints about autofocusing being bad coming from RF users. Isn't a RF a "center point focus, then recompose" type of camera? That's exactly how I use my X100 and don't have a problem focusing.
Good for you really. But the point of RF focusing is not really center point and recompose (for me anyway). It is about having an easy and reliable focusing system that is intuitive, fast, and accurate. (And rangefinder cameras combine this with another useful feature: the direct view for framing. This is one feature that makes the X Pro-1 so interesting to many of us.)

In an AF system, a computer tries to work out where you want to focus and then focus there. In an MF system, you focus there. As long as the first step in AF introduces a significant amount of errors, it is not optimal for all use cases and all users.

Old 03-16-2012   #228
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
In an AF system, a computer tries to work out where you want to focus and then focus there. In an MF system, you focus there. As long as the first step in AF introduces a significant amount of errors, it is not optimal for all use cases and all users.
Yes. Except the X series cameras skip the first step. They don't try and figure out where you want to focus. They have a single point in the middle - that's where it focuses. Up to the user to decided where to point it.

Old 03-16-2012   #229
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Yes. Except the X series cameras skip the first step. They don't try and figure out where you want to focus. They have a single point in the middle - that's where it focuses. Up to the user to decided where to point it.
While the Fuji X APS-C cameras can be set to an AF mode (multi focus) where the camera does do step 1. Most of the time this mode should not be used.

These cameras work best when the AF is used in focus and recompose mode (area focus). The degree of reliance on automation can differ depending on a number of photographer controlled decisions, but I can only get results when I use the camera as I use a mechanical RF camera, i. e. area focus mode.

There is a tiny bit of irony here because about a year ago some dismissed the X100 as an over- priced P&S camera. In fact, the camera (in my heads anyway) fails as a P&S because the AF is unreliable when focus is critical.

The AF in cameras with tiny sensors is no better, but the increased DOF and the slower lenses minimize the effect of AF errors. In P&S mode the X100 fails miserably at using F 2 and 6-12 feet in a scene with numerous high contrast subjects. With different set up parameters it succeeds.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 03-16-2012   #230
JasperD

Finally!!!

My favorite retailer switched the X-Pro1 from ´on order´ to ´available´ this morning... I don´t think I lost lots of time after that, and have his confirmation in my mailbox already. Nice to see some company coming for the cable, R72 filter and new SD card already in the drawer. Only body and 35mm for now, the other 2 lenses and additional batteries are not available yet, but at least it will ease being patient a bit.

I feel I now can also participate by analogy to the poll. It´s not real pre-order but final purchase (no return policy here), but for all purposes, the intention will be real.

Old 03-16-2012   #231
Lss

Quote:
They have a single point in the middle - that's where it focuses. Up to the user to decided where to point it.
Except they still do need to figure out, e.g., whether you want to focus on the fence or the person behind it. Single focus point (in the middle) is no new idea.

Old 03-16-2012   #232
CopperB
M3 Noob

I just ordered it with the 35 1.4 Wish i could change my poll vote. ah well....

Leica M4-P / Canonet QL17 / Fuji x-pro1 / D700
www.pattihintonphotography.com

Old 03-16-2012   #233
noimmunity
registered niche user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperB View Post
I just ordered it with the 35 1.4 Wish i could change my poll vote. ah well....
Who cares about the poll?! The only thing that counts is that you got the camera!

Fuji XP1 8/14/23/35/55-200 (x1.5)
Sigma DP Merrill 19/30/50 (x1.5)
ZI, R4A 24/50/90 + 21/35/85 and a 40.

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-16-2012   #234
CopperB
M3 Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
Who cares about the poll?! The only thing that counts is that you got the camera!
Good point.

Old 03-16-2012   #235
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
In P&S mode the X100 fails miserably at using F 2 and 6-12 feet in a scene with numerous high contrast subjects. With different set up parameters it succeeds.
What exactly is p&s mode? I don't think this camera is geared toward people wanting a fully automated and easy point and shoot at all - the manual dials and OVF should be a hint at this.

Old 03-16-2012   #236
tomtofa

Good discussion on DPR, with links to his images and lens' tests, by a new user:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...0903069&page=1

Old 03-16-2012   #237
BobYIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtofa View Post
Good discussion on DPR, with links to his images and lens' tests, by a new user:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...0903069&page=1
And for the answers to some crucial questions you may check this thread too..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=40922347

Old 03-16-2012   #238
willie_901

Quote:
What exactly is p&s mode? I don't think this camera is geared toward people wanting a fully automated and easy point and shoot at all - the manual dials and OVF should be a hint at this.
P&S mode would be using all the following settings simultaneously

Setting the lens and shutter to A.

Using auto ISO

Using auto DR

Set the flash to auto

Setting the focus mode to AFS or C, and selecting multi focus in the Set Up Menu instead of area focus.

These settings remove all operator control except composition and EVF, LCD or OVF finders. With the finder set to LCD, the choice of EVF or OVF in unnecessary.

I agree the camera is not geared to people who use the maximum amount of automation. But it is possible to use the camera this way.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 03-17-2012   #239
Shade

I heard the OM-D is also an appealing camera, but I have long waited for the successor of the Fuji Spro line... I have used the S2pro, S3pro, and S5pro and loved them all...

So I have ordered my Xpro1.

Old 03-19-2012   #240
jsrockit

What's the latest US release date?

Old 03-19-2012   #241
david.elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
What's the latest US release date?
b&h's date has not changed

Old 03-19-2012   #242
macjim

Just had a look at the camera shop web site, where I have order the X-Pro1 & 35mm lens from, and it's now showing in stock. So, I'm hopeful I might have the camera by the end of this week.

Old 03-19-2012   #243
f16sunshine
Your Momma !

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjim View Post
Just had a look at the camera shop web site, where I have order the X-Pro1 & 35mm lens from, and it's now showing in stock. So, I'm hopeful I might have the camera by the end of this week.
Where are you located?

Old 03-19-2012   #244
celluloidprop

Word from my camera shop (Texas) is that their shipment is coming 'at the end of the month.' Extra batteries on the day of arrival, but none of the other accessories.

Old 03-19-2012   #245
macjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine

Where are you located?
Scotland.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Old 03-20-2012   #246
JasperD

Mine arrived yesterday as expected, but still no 18mm nor 60mm available here. Nor the batteries...
Going out again, it finally stopped raining. Yesterday was bad, and the shots I got didn´t deserve any other qualification than ´tests´.

Old 03-20-2012   #247
noimmunity
registered niche user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperD View Post
Mine arrived yesterday as expected, but still no 18mm nor 60mm available here. Nor the batteries...
Going out again, it finally stopped raining. Yesterday was bad, and the shots I got didn´t deserve any other qualification than ´tests´.
unfortunately we share the same cloud cover over Lyon...

Fuji XP1 8/14/23/35/55-200 (x1.5)
Sigma DP Merrill 19/30/50 (x1.5)
ZI, R4A 24/50/90 + 21/35/85 and a 40.

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-20-2012   #248
CopperB
M3 Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I heard the OM-D is also an appealing camera, but I have long waited for the successor of the Fuji Spro line... I have used the S2pro, S3pro, and S5pro and loved them all...

So I have ordered my Xpro1.
I'm an s5Pro user as well. Once this arrives, I'll be all Fuji & Leica. Bye bye Nikon (other than my s5 lenses of course).

I played a bit with an x100 at a local shop yesterday. Can't wait for the xPro to arrive. Likely May if I'm lucky, based on orders at Vistek.

Old 03-20-2012   #249
gavinlg

Got to hold the body today. No battery though, so I couldn't actually use it.
It was perfectly weighted IMO. Didn't feel 'too light' at all like some have suggested. The body is comfortable albeit a little 'blocky'. The 35mm lens is the perfect size. Aperture ring was a 'little' soft with the clicks though. Overall I'm very impressed. Can't wait to get my hands on a useable one to try out!

Old 03-20-2012   #250
jsrockit

Gavinlg... I thought you weren't interested in the X-Pro1 anymore? Something about a 5d MKIII...