Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M Film Cameras

Old 02-19-2012   #26
Viktor Sebastian
~

I can't and buying second hand is a gamble I won't be repeating.

Old 02-19-2012   #27
noimmunity
registered niche user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid-Sky View Post
i am also wondering selling my leica gear, while it is a wonderful machine it is way too expensive. the money from the sale will go on a travel.
It is exactly what I did. I do not regret it.

Fuji XP1 8/14/23/35/55-200 (x1.5)
Sigma DP Merrill 19/30/50 (x1.5)
ZI, R4A 24/50/90 + 21/35/85 and a 40.

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 02-19-2012   #28
mugent

I think others have summed it up well, but my experience is that after owning a Leica, I sold it, the extra cash wasn't worth it to me, the money can be put to better use.
If the owning of a Summilux (or whatever), makes you happy, then keep it, if it makes you feel uneasy, like it did for me, then get rid of it.

I get slightly uneasy feelings when eating at expensive restaurants, so I choose not to now.

Old 02-19-2012   #29
OddE
Recovering GAS addict.

To the extent that I need any justification to spend as much on my photo gear as I do, I simply pause to think for a moment; just about all of my gear is bought second hand, so someone else took the depreciation hit. Also, I'm not in a hurry when I scout out some new (to me) lens or body, so I can wait around a while for a good deal.

Most of what I've got (Two DSLRs and a 70-200 f/2.8 VRI aside) I could sell today for what I gave for it or more. So - yes, while it is a lot of money (to me, anyway) tied up in gear, I can convert it back to cash without taking a significant financial hit should need arise.

Besides, having a couple of great bodies and some terrific glass to go along with them is a lot more fun than having the same kind of $$$ in a savings account.

Old 02-19-2012   #30
edftwin
Street Wanderer

Life is too short to worry about the little money, you can earn it back as time goes.
Go out and shoot more with it, don't keep thinking about the money spent worth or not, you will end up as a sad old man.

My Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwinng692/

Old 02-19-2012   #31
Roger Hicks

Part of earning a living. It suits what I do, better than any other camera.

But as others have said, why try to 'justify' it? How do you 'justify' not giving all your money to the poor? I used Leicas before I earned a living with them, too.

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-19-2012   #32
Athos6
Tao Master

My thinking: If your going to end up there anyway, don't waste money on anything else in the meantime hoping you'll think its good enough. Just spend the money, find out that Leica is not magic, then resell it while its still mint. That way you don't spend money, sell, spend money, sell, spend money. You just spend money, sell, spend money.

Old 02-19-2012   #33
Niko

Seems like i wasn´t the only one ever thought about it... Anyway, I guess using the word struggle was a bit much. I´m not really struggling with the issue, it´s just a thought that came up.

I guess already the first response to my message by hans voralberg summed up pretty well what was the deciding factor for me.

1. Speed + closer focussing opens up lots more opportunity and i can do it the way i do it with the Mamiya-> use any aperture at any distance without having to think other aspects about it.

And yes, i´m not just sitting inside wondering if to use the lens or not. Since day 1 i´ve been carrying it with me on my M3.

Even my wife says: if it´s good, just use it.

Niko

Old 02-19-2012   #34
Robert Lai

Niko:
Your wife is a gem!
Mine would probably kill me for spending so much money on one lens.

Old 02-19-2012   #35
haempe
pan seminudus

I don't buy Leica lenses. Too expensive, if I think how many lenses I've wrecked during the last 20 years.
But I can justify my M-bodys: they are so expensive, a repair is always worthwhile.

Last edited by haempe : 02-19-2012 at 11:15. Reason: orthography

Old 02-19-2012   #36
Ron (Netherlands)

Reminds me of the fact that I - still - have a lot of Leica stuff, but didn't make my best pictures with any of it....

Leica: Urleica, IIa synch conversion, M2, M6 TTL Millenium

My Flickr

Old 02-19-2012   #37
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i don't....

+1

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Zorki I| Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV | Exa
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | Kalloflex K2 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 02-19-2012   #38
kokoshawnuff

I have no shame in saying how much I enjoy my Leica equipment, even when I'm not using it...for me the happiness factor is very important.

Old 02-19-2012   #39
Sparrow
Stewart McBride

Stewart McBride

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 02-19-2012   #40
taskoni

You get what you pay for

Old 02-19-2012   #41
Richard G

1. All my Leica stuff is second hand and the first Leica was given to me.
2. No need to justify it.
3. With my Zeiss C Sonnar I am not hankering for a 50 Lux ASPH, but if I was I'd buy it.
4. I don't play golf and don't pay annual fees for the golf club membership.
5. I don't have orthopedic problems and spend almost nothing seeing doctors or any other professional - compare with a D3 toting man of same age.
4. Look up letter to George on The Online Photographer. $1000s of dollars of second rate purchases get shelved or trashed before eventually getting what was always the best thing in the first place.

Old 02-19-2012   #42
NickTrop

I guess I view it too much like an academic. Thinking of Leica in the luxury class of items, trying to differentiate itself to be a "price maker" as a small boutique product competing in an oligopoly. How much of the Leica price differential over Nikon and Canon has to due with the superiority of their market offering? How much is their ability to be a "price maker" as a luxury item, in an economic sense charging "economic rent" for that red dot. I think a good valuation of this is the difference in price between the Leica-branded Panasonic cameras and those sold as Panasonics. So transparent as to be almost brazen, the Leica charges substantially more the the identical product.

So, my answer is most of the price differential has to due with economic rent and marketing than product value.

Old 02-19-2012   #43
sepiareverb
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Actually, one of the very reasons to justify a Leica, or especially a Porsche (specifically a 911) is because the depreciation is minimal.
If at all. Nearly everything Leica I've sold I've come out ahead on even after shooting it for a while. Thanks for reminding me!

Old 02-19-2012   #44
thegman

I like and buy Leica gear, but I don't attempt to justify other than that I like it, and to me it is worth the money. I know very well that I could buy a cheaper camera, get the same results, and donate the change to a worthy charity. But like most people, I'd rather have the pretty possessions.

Old 02-19-2012   #45
DanOnRoute66
I now live in Des Moines

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddE View Post
Most of what I've got (Two DSLRs and a 70-200 f/2.8 VRI aside) I could sell today for what I gave for it or more. So - yes, while it is a lot of money (to me, anyway) tied up in gear, I can convert it back to cash without taking a significant financial hit should need arise.
DSLRs that are worth as much now as they were when you bought them? I'd like to know what those are!

Old 02-19-2012   #46
JMQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Actually, one of the very reasons to justify a Leica, or especially a Porsche (specifically a 911) is because the depreciation is minimal.

Take care of your gear and it won't depreciate at all...
LOL ; Dear Robert, you are give me GAS for a Porsche 911 or an S4 !!!

Old 02-19-2012   #47
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

It's not me who needs the justifying; I just hope and pray the Missus never gets too curious.

justify
Old 02-19-2012   #48
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

justify

With a lot of booze

Phil Forrest

Old 02-19-2012   #49
braver

When I've paid the house, the insurances, the groceries, a vacation here and there, put some savings away and when I've made my contributions to the community, there's usually still some money left. I've worked my ass off for it so I'll spend it on something I take most seriously, photography. I choose a Leica besause it is the zero compromise option for me. I don't want to fool around here, I want to get it right the first time (you only live once anyway). I don't need a lot, I just need a body and 2 or 3 really good lenses and I don't want the fancy versions.

So, no need to justify unless you're making a mess of your finances and priorites. I can't afford the 50 Lux Asph, but congrats if you can and I hope you make nice pictures with it

It makes economic sense too. All the Leica gear I've owned has become more valuable while in my possession. In fact I've made hundeds with the stuff I've bought, played with for a while and sold on. The short time I owned digital cameras I always sold at a loss... if I'd stuck to the Leica stuff perhaps I could have been able to get the asph

Old 02-19-2012   #50
kxl
Social Documentary

I'm an amateur, so any camera that I buy is basically a toy. I buy one because I want one. If I have to justify it, I don't buy it.

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
― Ansel Adams