Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Jupiter 12 lens for a Contax IIIA
Old 02-22-2012   #1
Dave Jarosz
Dave J

Jupiter 12 lens for a Contax IIIA

Do all Jupiter 12 lenses fit on a Contax IIIa? Or is there a specific lens to look for. Dave
Contax IIIa, Hasselblad XPan, Bronica SQ's, Toyo 4x5's, Toyo 8x10, Ansco 8x10, circa 1930's, Speed & Crown Graphics, Mamiya C330, Mamiya RB67, Yashica Mat. Nikon F2A, Nikon N90, Nikon F100, Canon 7d, Canon T2i, Fuji S3 Pro.

Old 02-22-2012   #2
Crazy Fedya

No, they don't. They fit on Contax II and III though. Only post-war West German Biogon will fit Contax IIIa, also you might want to try 35mm f/2.5 W Nikkor.

Old 02-22-2012   #3
Vics

I use the W-Nikkor 35/2.5 on my IIIa, and it's a beautiful lens!

My Flickr

Old 02-23-2012   #4
Elmar Lang

On the Contax IIa/IIIa can also fit the Zeiss Jena Biometar 35/2,8 and the Zeiss Opton Planar 35mm.

Will a Nikkor C-35mm 2.5 fit a Contax IIIa?
Old 02-24-2012   #5
Dave Jarosz
Dave J

Will a Nikkor C-35mm 2.5 fit a Contax IIIa?

I see that Nikkor make a 35mm W lens & C lens. What is the difference?
Contax IIIa, Hasselblad XPan, Bronica SQ's, Toyo 4x5's, Toyo 8x10, Ansco 8x10, circa 1930's, Speed & Crown Graphics, Mamiya C330, Mamiya RB67, Yashica Mat. Nikon F2A, Nikon N90, Nikon F100, Canon 7d, Canon T2i, Fuji S3 Pro.

Old 02-24-2012   #6
batterytypehah!
Lord of the Dings

Did they? I have it in Leica mount and it's called W-Nikkor-C (red "C" for "coated").

Yes, it will fit. Close up and wide open you run into the Nikon/Contax focus mismatch, but I doubt it will show, given the DOF even at f/2.5.

“Hair-splitting, of course. But hey, it's a LEICA. Probably there are those who get excited about the colour of the hairs you split.” – Roger Hicks

Contax IIa + Leica IIIf + M3 (project) + Zorki-1 (project) + Fuji GS645 + FED-2 + Vitomatic II + Revue 400SE + Olympus XA + more + still more

Old 02-24-2012   #7
dexdog
sans bokeh

the lens is called the W-Nikkor C, as seen at the attached site. This lens works quite well with a Contax II and III

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ran...r/35mm-f25.htm

Old 02-24-2012   #8
Dave Jarosz
Dave J

Thanks for all the info guys! Much appreciated. Dave

Old 02-25-2012   #9
David Murphy

If you want to stick to purely Zeiss, the Orthometar 35/4.5 also works on the IIIa and is an outstanding lens (as is every Zeiss lens I've used so far). These are a little less common and usually expensive, but not that much more costly than a Biogon or Planar. The Orthometer is an uncoated prewar lens, but the lack of coatings seems not to impact its image quality - it's quite a piece of engineering too. Most Contax lenses are not rare, but a little uncommon, although there are usually some examples of the main ones for sale at any time on eBay or from the usual notable vintage camera dealers. Some genuinely rare ones do show up from time-to-time, such as the Old-Delft 35/3.5, even at prices that aren't too scary, but it takes patience to locate them.

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com