looking to purchase first RF, an M2...
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Nyc Dito
Registered User
 
Nyc Dito's Avatar
 
Nyc Dito is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 35
looking to purchase first RF, an M2...

Hello everyone. I joined this forum when i purchased my Widelux. I have always checked out the other sections and wanted a Leica for many reasons.

I have found that the market for M2's seem to be all over the place. I have contacted Ken Hansen and Youxin and neither have any M2's. Tamarkin has one, but i wanted a cleaner one (cosmetically) than the one they have.

i honestly have no clue whats a fair price for a cosmetically clean M2. I have seen some for $700US to $1200US.

I am considering price of a CLA when i do purchase a M2.

So, since i am new...whats an "average" price i can have in my head while shopping?

Thank you
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
jim_jm
Registered User
 
jim_jm's Avatar
 
jim_jm is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 177
Keep your eye out here on the classifieds and on the APUG classifieds for a good idea of what the going prices are. It all depends on the seller, and what they expect to be able to get. A quality CLA will easily set you back $200-300, so if you can find one that's recently been serviced, or from a seller like Youxin who can guarantee functional condition, then it's OK to pay a bit more.

Unless it's mint condition and recently serviced, I wouldn't go over $1000. For a fully functional body with minimal to average wear, I'd say somewhere around $700-900 is reasonable. Igor's Camera has an M2 listed right now for $825, which seems a fair price in Exc condition. He's a good guy to deal with. You may also find a motivated seller at $500-600, so it's not unheard of.

M2 prices have been reasonably stable in the 9 years since I bought mine for $600, but I had to shell out $250 for a CLA soon after. One thing to watch out for on "mint" bodies is that it's often a sign that the camera has sat unused for years, or hasn't been used because of an underlying problem. Sometimes the ones that look beat-up are also the ones that were regularly serviced.

I love my M2 and it's probably the one camera I would keep if I had to sell everything.
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Nyc Dito
Registered User
 
Nyc Dito's Avatar
 
Nyc Dito is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
Keep your eye out here on the classifieds and on the APUG classifieds for a good idea of what the going prices are. It all depends on the seller, and what they expect to be able to get. A quality CLA will easily set you back $200-300, so if you can find one that's recently been serviced, or from a seller like Youxin who can guarantee functional condition, then it's OK to pay a bit more.

Unless it's mint condition and recently serviced, I wouldn't go over $1000. For a fully functional body with minimal to average wear, I'd say somewhere around $700-900 is reasonable. Igor's Camera has an M2 listed right now for $825, which seems a fair price in Exc condition. He's a good guy to deal with. You may also find a motivated seller at $500-600, so it's not unheard of.

M2 prices have been reasonably stable in the 9 years since I bought mine for $600, but I had to shell out $250 for a CLA soon after. One thing to watch out for on "mint" bodies is that it's often a sign that the camera has sat unused for years, or hasn't been used because of an underlying problem. Sometimes the ones that look beat-up are also the ones that were regularly serviced.

I love my M2 and it's probably the one camera I would keep if I had to sell everything.
Thanks for the reply and information. Definitely helps me!

I went to see an M2 last night right here in Queens, place called Cambridge World. After a little googling turns out it might be same place that advertised heavily back in the days and does not have the best reputation. Anyway, they had one in stock right there, but didn't seem to be worth their asking (at least to me).

My search continues and hopefully soon i will be able to have one for myself...Cheers!
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
madNbad
Registered User
 
madNbad's Avatar
 
madNbad is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 341
Check with Sherry Kratuer at Golden Touch. She is a factory trained technician and often has at least one M2 on her site.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
David Hughes
Registered User
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,537
Hi,

In your shoes I'd wait until mid January when everyone has had the bills in for Christmas and the shops are looking at discounts to get some sales...

Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
unixrevolution
Registered User
 
unixrevolution's Avatar
 
unixrevolution is offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 34
Posts: 803
Good luck in your search! I'm a happy M2 owner, but I likely wouldn't own one at all if this hadn't fallen in my lap. The second owner basically gave it to me, after it sat in the closet for 40 years.

I had it CLA'd in 2010 by Ken Ruth, but it had a bad rear shutter so it was CLA'd again by Youxin Ye, who had nothing at all kind to say about the job Mr Ruth did. When I got it back from Youxin it was significantly improved.

But it's fixed and working and beautiful and perfect now. I hope you find yours, you'll enjoy it!
__________________
Please, call me Erik.
Find me on: Flickr | PentaxForums | Large Format Photography Forum

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
brennanphotoguy
Registered User
 
brennanphotoguy's Avatar
 
brennanphotoguy is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Age: 26
Posts: 583
We get them at B&H fairly often for less than $1000 and they are serviced and you get a warranty and return policy. If you're willing to wait then we'll get some soon.
__________________
M3 / IIIg / Rollei 3.5E3
www.instagram.com/brennan_mckissick
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
Nyc Dito
Registered User
 
Nyc Dito's Avatar
 
Nyc Dito is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 35
Well, that was quick. I was able to get a VERY clean and recently serviced M2 from Bob (Nanthor here on RFF). It was serviced by Youxin just last month and was as clean as i could ask for. Im definitely a happy camper and price was MORE than reasonable. He included a strap and MC meter.

Thank all of you for your help, suggestions and comments. I can not wait to shoot!!
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
nanthor
Registered User
 
nanthor is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 231
I was happy to sell Dito a very nice M2 that I just got back from Youxin. No dings or dents and only very light marks in the usual places. He's just starting out with Leica and a good start with what might be the most beloved camera they ever made, IMO. He needs a lens if anyone wants to help out with one. Happy shooting Dito! Bob.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 43
Posts: 439
What kind of lens are you expecting to use Dito?
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
KoNickon
Nick Merritt
 
KoNickon is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hartford, CT USA
Age: 58
Posts: 3,018
Proving once again what a great place this is to buy and sell! Enjoy it, Dito! Your challenge now will be resisting getting other M bodies!

Sorry I don't have a lens for you, but a collapsible Elmar 50 might be just the thing....
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
jim_jm
Registered User
 
jim_jm's Avatar
 
jim_jm is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 177
Congrats on the M2 find!

I'm sure you have your preference for focal lengths, but the M2 with a 35mm lens is just about the perfect simple set-up for me. For not a lot of money, you can get a small, sharp Voigtlander 35/2.5 Color Skopar, or any of the older screw-mount lenses from Canon, Nikon or Leica can easily fit on your M2 with an adapter. There are also Russian lenses to consider, as well as the pricier Zeiss ZM lenses (made by Cosina) and obviously the Holy Grail Leitz glass.

Get ready to start accumulating lenses!
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
Nyc Dito
Registered User
 
Nyc Dito's Avatar
 
Nyc Dito is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
What kind of lens are you expecting to use Dito?
For a first lens i was or am planning to get a Voigtlander 35 f1.4. I wouldnt mind the 2.5, but i shoot indoors often. Think family gatherings and the sort. When time comes i do plan on stepping up to a Summicron.

But i definitely want a 35mm to start =)
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
Nyc Dito
Registered User
 
Nyc Dito's Avatar
 
Nyc Dito is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
Proving once again what a great place this is to buy and sell! Enjoy it, Dito! Your challenge now will be resisting getting other M bodies!

Sorry I don't have a lens for you, but a collapsible Elmar 50 might be just the thing....
I have already though of what body to get next! =)

..and agreed, this place is great. Even when i was browsing all the forums being a Widelux user, so much info and experience.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Age: 50
Posts: 3,824
Good start!
I'm finding it difficult to get family pictures at f1.5.
2.5 and ISO 1600 works better.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
Nyc Dito
Registered User
 
Nyc Dito's Avatar
 
Nyc Dito is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
Congrats on the M2 find!

I'm sure you have your preference for focal lengths, but the M2 with a 35mm lens is just about the perfect simple set-up for me. For not a lot of money, you can get a small, sharp Voigtlander 35/2.5 Color Skopar, or any of the older screw-mount lenses from Canon, Nikon or Leica can easily fit on your M2 with an adapter. There are also Russian lenses to consider, as well as the pricier Zeiss ZM lenses (made by Cosina) and obviously the Holy Grail Leitz glass.

Get ready to start accumulating lenses!
I was REALLY considering the 35/2.5 Color Skopar, but then came across the 35/1.4. I do tend to shoot indoors a lot, and thats what nudged me towards the 1.4. I think for me, it would be compact and a large enough aperture that it would be a good start. Although i hear great things about the 35/2.5, so i am kind of torn between the 2.

in the end, i know myself and a 35mm Summicron is in my future =) ..hopefully sooner than later..

To be honest there are SO many differing opinions its a hard choice for a new Leica user such as myself. I just like fast glass that are decently sharp wide open. I have used a 28 f2.8 ais Nikkor on my FM3a, but also carry a 35mm f1.4 for my F100.

Hopefully either choice is a good place to begin


..and thanks again everyone!
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
Nyc Dito
Registered User
 
Nyc Dito's Avatar
 
Nyc Dito is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Good start!
I'm finding it difficult to get family pictures at f1.5.
2.5 and ISO 1600 works better.

This is exactly what i was thinking, iso 1600 and f2.5. hmmm...

**sorry, i just realized i could do multiple quotes**

2nd EDIT
i pulled the trigger and ordered a Color Skopar from Camera Quest tonight! =) .. im super excited. Hopefully it will be here by Saturday.

I was going back and forth between the 1.4 Nokton, 1.7 Ultron and the Skopar. I figured its not a bad start, worst case i keep it/sell it and try the next one i have in mind. If i can hold off long enough, this will be the only lens until i can get the Summicron =)

Last edited by Nyc Dito : 3 Weeks Ago at 19:20. Reason: bought a lens!
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
iphoenix
Registered User
 
iphoenix's Avatar
 
iphoenix is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

In your shoes I'd wait until mid January when everyone has had the bills in for Christmas and the shops are looking at discounts to get some sales...

Regards, David
Agree David, but I'd put it closer to the end of January or beginning of February. That's when I used to find the best prices for collectibles and antiques are being asked both privately and by 2nd hand dealers.

Rgds, Also David
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
David Hughes
Registered User
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,537
Hi,

There's a similar price/bid fluctuation to ebay and so on but, although the figures are easily obtained, I just haven't the time to look into it in detail. The day of the week seems very important and obvious to many...

Regards, David.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Age: 50
Posts: 3,824
I never tried Nokton on film. I have it in hands and build was marvellous. It was heavily used Nokton and focus ring was smooth, but no play.
I went through two Skopars and they where flat for bw film. But nice handling, except too close aperture ring on M version. I also had LTM Ultron and it was lovely on bw. Sold it because RF 35 lens without focus tab is too slow for me to be usable.
But any of those three are good lenses to try and to sell. Actually, I liked Skopar with bw film at 1600 !
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:54.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.