Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

View Poll Results: Should I...
just keep shooting the gear I've got and be done with it! 18 14.88%
get a GW690 93 76.86%
aim for another folder (Iskra, Super Baldax, Certo Six, or some other?) 10 8.26%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2014   #41
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

The forefather compared ro an M

Texas Leica & Leica by Eirik0304, on Flickr

Yes it is big, but surprisingly light. Fantastic lens.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 11-29-2014   #42
Texsport

A Nikon F 5 is much, much heavier!

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 12-18-2014   #43
GaryLH

The Texas Leica is going to be big, heavy and one of the loudest cameras I have ever owned. Could start a stampede lol.... The noise is not the shutter itself, but something else that is part of the shutter release path. That 6x9 negative is to die for though.

I would looks at other folding 6x9 cameras like Zeiss super ikonta C w/ Tessar or russion version of the C or Voitlander Bessa II w/ Heliar, etc. if u find a Bessa II in good condition, it is hard to beat.

Gary

Old 01-06-2015   #44
Alpsman

But beware! As soon as ya own the GW 690 ya want to get hands on a GSW 690.

Old 01-06-2015   #45
Texsport

I'd recommend getting the older, lens exchangeable model Fujicas.

That way you could shoot 6X7 or 6X9, depending on desired framing and lenses. You could even get a 6X8 if you try hard.

I generally shoot 6X9 with 50,65, and 100mm lenses + 6X7 using 100, 150, and 180mm Fujinon lenses.

Quite a frexible plan.

A Fujica C690BL is lighter than all my Rittreck 66, Nikon F4, Nikon F5, and Canon EOS3 cameras.

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

Old 01-06-2015   #46
Texsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Can't imagine why anyone in his right mind would want one of these behemoths.
Well, teamed with fine grained film, the image quality of a 6X9 is stunning, and superior to any tiny camera!

Still hoping that CineStill 50D in 120 becomes a reality. Then, another quantum leap in image quality would occur.

Texsport

Old 01-06-2015   #47
CliveC

Just got a GW690II in the mail from Japan and I've tested and it seems fine. One little thing: when you advance the shutter without film, is there a mechanism that is supposed to stop the advance after the second wind? Mine keeps going. The first wind feels heavier (cocks the shutter I assume) with subsequent winds being light.

Any shooting tips?

Old 01-07-2015   #48
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

hi
I got the same GW model. Indeed, without film the winding goes on and on.
Also, you cannot release shutter without film, unless you open the backdoor.

Mine doesn't have that large pimple above the viewfinder window, though. What's that??

Old 01-07-2015   #49
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

about shooting tips: no not really. The camera is so simple and free of glitches that there's no need for special tips, tricks or workarounds.

I drop my lens cap quite easily off the lens so be careful with that (might be just mine, though).

Old 01-07-2015   #50
Addy101

Must be the earthquakes in Groningen

The lenscap (and filterring) is a standard 67mm one, any generic one will work. I've got a filter on mine when I'm photographing as otherwise I'll keep forgetting to take the lenscap off. But that isn't unique to the GW690 series, but generic to rangefinders - or, to be more precise, me with rangefinders

The wind thing is normal as is the the won't fire without film. It is a fun camera, so, enjoy it.

Old 01-07-2015   #51
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand View Post
hi
Mine doesn't have that large pimple above the viewfinder window, though. What's that??
Seems like a glued on bubble level. Some people did that to the older models.

The level on my GW690III seems duller than usual, the liquid being dark green instead of the neon green it has to be. It's still a bubble within liquid, but it's harder to see.

The lens cap falling... is it the original slip on? Many people complained about it. I have no problems with a generic 67mm cap.
The nice idea behind the slip on is that you remove and deploy the hood in a single action.

As of leaving on the cap. I took a first frame that way once, but unwilling to waste that frame I reloaded the roll. I think the GW's have no way to let you do a double exposure so no ability to reexpose. (Maybe that's why it's not popular around Lomographers )

Tips. Not any specially. Load the film as recommended in the manual (keeping the tension), be aware of the quirky T mode, and little else.

Old 01-07-2015   #52
JChrome
Street Worker

You're going to fall in love :-).

Some other things-
1) significant vignetting at the fastest aperture.
2) you can't silence the camera by removing the film counter. That's a myth that's been touted as fact from here to Timbuktu.
3) the T setting is awkward and a bad
replacement for the B.
4) after having the GW690 III, I kinda wish I had the earlier, interchangeable lens version. The 180mm lens for the G just makes me salivate. Tele lenses on a Medium Format Rangefinder are a unicorn. That'll be my next purchase.
5) a Great Walk around camera. It's light and simple and there's no other lenses to carry. It is big. People talk about being inconspicuous in street photography but I don't mind carrying it around.

I enjoy mine so much I'm amazed more people don't want one :-)

Old 01-07-2015   #53
Alpsman

Because of forgetting the lenscap: I put a red sticker with the word "Deckel" (cap) on the right side of the viewfinder window. When my eye comes close to the viewfinderwindow it gets attracted by the red sticker & my brain starts to think if the cap is off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0171 lo.jpg (10.6 KB, 53 views)

Old 01-07-2015   #54
CliveC

I probably won't have the lenscap issue, mine didn't come with one.
And yes, that is a bubble level that a previous owner glued on. I think I may remove it though, since it catches on any bag I put it in (speaking of which, it won't fit in most of my bags. It'll fit in a Billingham Hadley Pro only without the insert.

many issues...
Old 01-07-2015   #55
kuzano

Cool many issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomm View Post
Thank you for all your comments. Just to stir things a bit further, what do people think about GS645 (the original with bellows and 75mm f3.4 lens). I've read that its a finicky camera with bellows issues, but haven't really found anything about the optics and how it is in use. I wonder if that could be a compromise with regards size / weight of the the GW690.

Edit: of course I'd have to forget about my aversion to the vertical composition then though, but lets say I would
Had four. Bought them cheap (CHEAP!) with bad bellows and had the bellows replaced by Frank Marshman. That is the only way to buy them.

They were only in production for one year, as a result of the synthetic bellows material.

Now, they are hugely over priced on the market and with no mention of a bellows replacement or documentation of such. I can hardly believe that ANY original bellows has survived this long.

Also found that the shutter often tanks during extreme cold shooting. According to Frank, that's a no fix item... just don't shoot them in extreme cold.

Frank also has a fix he does on the folding shutter linkage which was a poor design and broke often.

Now, I think I still have one around here somewhere..... If your still interested??

Oh yes, if you want the best 645 that Fuji made. Just get the GA645Zi. Wonderful camera all around, best of all the 645 models.

I do shoot and highly recommend all the Fujica G models and the GW and GSW models.

Here is a link to a post on dbase from the fellow I bought my GSW690III from. This is the one to get.

http://www.pbase.com/neonhighways/inbox

Old 01-09-2015   #56
raid
Dad Photographer

My G690 has a lens that is sharper than the Zeiss Planar on my Rolleiflex TLR. I used this combo for several years during travel. Try the Fuji. It is a great camera.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-13-2015   #57
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsport View Post
I'd recommend getting the older, lens exchangeable model Fujicas. That way you could shoot 6X7 or 6X9, depending on desired framing and lenses. You could even get a 6X8 if you try hard. I generally shoot 6X9 with 50,65, and 100mm lenses + 6X7 using 100, 150, and 180mm Fujinon lenses. Quite a frexible plan. A Fujica C690BL is lighter than all my Rittreck 66, Nikon F4, Nikon F5, and Canon EOS3 cameras. Texsport
Can you tell me why you like the 180 on 6x7 so much and not on the 6x9? I know there would be a crop factor so an extra amount of zoom involved. There also would be little/no vignetting at the faster apertures on 6x7. But other than that, any benefit?

Old 01-13-2015   #58
Texsport

No special benefit for the 180 on 670 over 690.

It has more to do with my framing and use tendencies than anything.

Also, I often carry several cameras loaded and ready to go, and my 50 and 65mm lenses are most logical on the larger negative 690.(looking for wide coverage).

With a short tele like the 180, I generally have a single subject which can better fill a 6X7 frame than a 6X9. Additionally, I had my 6X6 cameras (Pentacon Six and Norita 66)with 160 , 180,and 240mm lenses before the Fugi 670 and 690. I probably learned a preference and visualization for a squarer format from the 6X6. Actually, that's a question I should study!

Given the right situation, I could use the 180 on 6X9, but it would likely be a single situation - not the norm for my shooting. Maybe a distant landscape feature???

I've tended to categorize the uses of different lenses by subject and most frequent use.

I shoot a lot of environmental portraits on 6X9 with 65, 90, and 100mm, and always use 6X9, or wider format for landscapes.

Texsport

Old 01-13-2015   #59
JChrome
Street Worker

Thanks for the info. What do you think about the 180? Is it worth it? Difficult to use or focus? I know it's heavy but not much else.

Old 01-14-2015   #60
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrumsick View Post
Thanks for the info. What do you think about the 180? Is it worth it? Difficult to use or focus? I know it's heavy but not much else.
The 180 lens is not more difficult to focus than the 100 normal lens because of its limited aperture (f/5.6) and minimum focus (2.5m). In fact, when looking at this lens or at the 150mm lens, it appears that a fixed stop was purposedly inserted to limit the aperture to F/5.6 in order to account for the relative lack of precision of rangefinder focusing.

Image quality for these two telephoto lenses is superb. They deliver sharp images with great bokeh. Both are rare but the 150mm appears to be even more difficult to find than the 180mm. This is surprising because the 150mm was a cheaper lens and the user didn't need to buy an external finder as there are built-in framelines in the standard viewfinder, which is not the case for the 180mm lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 02-09-2015   #61
Nordhesse

still a size comparison:

Old 02-09-2015   #62
awbphotog

Get a Fuji 690. That is all. No looking back.

Andy

Old 02-09-2015   #63
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbphotog View Post
Get a Fuji 690. That is all. No looking back. Andy
+1.

The 690's are unstoppable.

Old 02-09-2015   #64
Texsport

The Fujica 690 is often criticized by those unfamiliar with it, as too large and heavy!

Actually, it is significantly lighter weight than a Norita 6x6, or professional 35mm film cameras with big motor drives full of batteries - Nikon F4 and F5, or Canon EOS3.

Texsport

Old 03-04-2015   #65
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

I'll give you some short takes, since I've used all of these cameras.

GS645 - fragile, marginally smaller than a GA645; Fuji's only camera with a 50mm equiv. Filters are a total PITA.

GA645/i/w/wi - pretty much the value leaders. Best viewfinders.

GA645zi - a beast of the camera that takes phenomenal pictures. Worst viewfinder.

G690 - first interchangeable-lens model. No dark slide interlock.

- Lenses: chrome 65/8, chrome 100/3.5, chrome 180/5.6

G690BL - second interchangeable-lens model. Adds a dark slide indicator in the VF.

- Lenses: black 65/8, black 100/3.5, black 150/5.6, black 180/5.6

GL690/GM670 - third interchangeable-lens model. Removes the dark slide indicator, changes the loading slightly (red dot position is different). Takes Nikon eyepieces. Ugly new hump on the lens mount. Front shutter release added.

- Lenses: black 50mm f/5.6 (new) black 65/5.6 (new), black 100/3.5 (now with colored DOF scale), black 100/3.5 AE (new; only lens with MC), 150/5.6 (unchanged), 180/5.6 (unchanged).

GW690/670 - essentially a lighter version of the GM/GL with no lens interchangeability. Some parts are now plastic (which unlike the previous models does not dent and scrape so badly). Five-element 90/3.5 (~37mm) replaces four-element 100/3.5, increasing sharpness and degrading OOF areas slightly. No AE options Shot counter introduced. GSW versions use derivative of 65mm f/5.6 Fujinon (~28mm) released with the GL/GM. All versions now are in permanent "R" mode, which prevents shutter firing without film.

GW690/670 mark II - hot shoe added. Somewhat annoying sliding hood added (it obscures the exposure controls).

GW690/GW670/GW680/GSW680/GSW690 Mark III - obscure 6x8 format resurrected. Much more ergonomic bodies in an easy-to-damage matte dark grey plastic. GSW finders updated to have hard-edged RF spots. Bubble level added to top of camera.

On fixed-lens 6x9 cameras, I find the 90 to be the most useful generally. The 65 is kind of the odd bird: wide enough to be hard to level, and if you add an accessory finder with a level, what was the point of the superb built-in finder?

I am actually a big fan of the GL with the 50mm; the 100mm is the second-best choice. The 180 is pretty much a bench warmer.

Dante

Old 03-08-2015   #66
Texsport

Now that's a good summary!

Favorite camera for me is GL690 but use all the interchangeable 670 and 690 cameras.

Favorite lenses are 50, 65, and 100AE.

Favorite accessory is Auto Up.

Texsport

Old 04-12-2015   #67
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
+1.

The 690's are unstoppable.
+2 !

To me, the 65mm FOV and the 2x3 aspect ratio are made for each other.
"Stretching" things a bit, it is easy to print that big neg at a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio making it a sort of panoramic camera, too.

When new mine was $1,200. I thought of it as a $900 lens welded to a $300 body and I was fine with that.

Big, yes, heavy, no.
Loaded with slow film, on a tripod, stopped down to 11-16...Superb I.Q.

Panasonic GX1, 20mm 1.7

Fuji XE-2, X Pro 2,
w/ 18-55 Fuji
12mm Zeiss,
16mm 1.4, 35 1.4, 56mm 1.2 Fuji
Fuji X100s

Nikon F
Nikon D800e with 6 primes and
a zoomer (70-200 f4)

In Memoriam: Mamiya 7ll with 50, 80 and 150 mm lenses---The best camera I've ever owned.

Old 04-12-2015   #68
Texsport

Agreed.

I generally team my 6X9 Fujica with a Linhof 6X17.

Probably because of the difficulty in finding and framing worthy subjects for 6X17, I find that I get more "keepers" with the Fuji 690 + 65mm lens than any other setup.

Texsport

Old 04-12-2015   #69
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Yes, Tex, it's not easy hunting for panoramics as opposed to just recognizing one when you stumble upon it.

That Fuji wide 6x9 does allow for the option after the fact---even long after, in the darkroom. I made little 3x9 and 4.5x9 masks to lay over contact sheet images ---they helped a lot seeing how --- or if --- that kind of cropping would work before making a print.

No problem making a 9"x18" or 6"x18" print from a good 6x9 negative.

Panasonic GX1, 20mm 1.7

Fuji XE-2, X Pro 2,
w/ 18-55 Fuji
12mm Zeiss,
16mm 1.4, 35 1.4, 56mm 1.2 Fuji
Fuji X100s

Nikon F
Nikon D800e with 6 primes and
a zoomer (70-200 f4)

In Memoriam: Mamiya 7ll with 50, 80 and 150 mm lenses---The best camera I've ever owned.

Shoot 135 film in your G690....
Old 04-12-2015   #70
kuzano

Shoot 135 film in your G690....

I've seen 35mm film inserted in the film chamber of the G690 with styrofoam spacers on the canister side. You can't rewind the canister, but you get a panorama that is 24mm x 88mm... a huge bit longer than the 24x58 in a Hasselblad X-Pan.

Me, I use 120 film but put a mask over the film plan that masks the width down to 30mm or 24mm. Again, you get pano's that are the width you make the mask by 88mm, and a much smoother transport and end to the roll.

Or, sometimes I just shoot two images overlapped... two will give you a 6X17 pano or three will give you 6X24... scanned and stitched.

NOTHING resolves gas for a G690 or Gw690 in any variant other than buying one.

Old 06-15-2015   #71
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

I love the handling as well as image quality of my GW690II. High contrast lens, and at times sharp enough to cut your eyes

Here's a quick and dirty scan from last weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11402895_10205254811623382_1572613958583482054_o.jpg (55.6 KB, 92 views)

Old 10-23-2015   #72
wjlapier

Since I just went back to a 6x9 ( sold my GW690 and miss it ) I'm curious to know how interchangeable are the lenses from G690 to GL/GM series?

Any particular lens and body combo someone want to comment on? I'm thinking a GL690 and 100, but would like to add something wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
I'll give you some short takes, since I've used all of these cameras.

GS645 - fragile, marginally smaller than a GA645; Fuji's only camera with a 50mm equiv. Filters are a total PITA.

GA645/i/w/wi - pretty much the value leaders. Best viewfinders.

GA645zi - a beast of the camera that takes phenomenal pictures. Worst viewfinder.

G690 - first interchangeable-lens model. No dark slide interlock.

- Lenses: chrome 65/8, chrome 100/3.5, chrome 180/5.6

G690BL - second interchangeable-lens model. Adds a dark slide indicator in the VF.

- Lenses: black 65/8, black 100/3.5, black 150/5.6, black 180/5.6

GL690/GM670 - third interchangeable-lens model. Removes the dark slide indicator, changes the loading slightly (red dot position is different). Takes Nikon eyepieces. Ugly new hump on the lens mount. Front shutter release added.

- Lenses: black 50mm f/5.6 (new) black 65/5.6 (new), black 100/3.5 (now with colored DOF scale), black 100/3.5 AE (new; only lens with MC), 150/5.6 (unchanged), 180/5.6 (unchanged).

GW690/670 - essentially a lighter version of the GM/GL with no lens interchangeability. Some parts are now plastic (which unlike the previous models does not dent and scrape so badly). Five-element 90/3.5 (~37mm) replaces four-element 100/3.5, increasing sharpness and degrading OOF areas slightly. No AE options Shot counter introduced. GSW versions use derivative of 65mm f/5.6 Fujinon (~28mm) released with the GL/GM. All versions now are in permanent "R" mode, which prevents shutter firing without film.

GW690/670 mark II - hot shoe added. Somewhat annoying sliding hood added (it obscures the exposure controls).

GW690/GW670/GW680/GSW680/GSW690 Mark III - obscure 6x8 format resurrected. Much more ergonomic bodies in an easy-to-damage matte dark grey plastic. GSW finders updated to have hard-edged RF spots. Bubble level added to top of camera.

On fixed-lens 6x9 cameras, I find the 90 to be the most useful generally. The 65 is kind of the odd bird: wide enough to be hard to level, and if you add an accessory finder with a level, what was the point of the superb built-in finder?

I am actually a big fan of the GL with the 50mm; the 100mm is the second-best choice. The 180 is pretty much a bench warmer.

Dante

Old 10-23-2015   #73
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
I'm curious to know how interchangeable are the lenses from G690 to GL/GM series
It is the same mount, no known compatibility issues.

Old 11-12-2015   #74
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
Since I just went back to a 6x9 ( sold my GW690 and miss it ) I'm curious to know how interchangeable are the lenses from G690 to GL/GM series?

Any particular lens and body combo someone want to comment on? I'm thinking a GL690 and 100, but would like to add something wider.
As stated by Dante in the post you quoted, you can't go wrong with the 50/5.6 lens (if you can find one). Its field of view is roughly the same as a 20mm lens on 24x36 but the huge 6x9 negative delivers much more details and richer tonal gradations!

The 65mm lenses are easier to find (especially the 65/8) but they are not wide enough for my taste (more like a 28mm on 24x36) --and I'm a sucker for the 20mm eq field of view.

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 06-29-2016   #75
J enea

the GAS bug bit me, and with the 25% off sale yesterday and today at KEH, I got myself one. can't wait to get out and shoot with it.