Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Smartphone Cameras

Smartphone Cameras Sure your Leica M9 takes better picts, but is is smart enough to make a phone call ?

An iPhone Camera App That’s Modeled After the Konica Hexar
Old 02-02-2012   #1
Damaso
Photojournalist

An iPhone Camera App That’s Modeled After the Konica Hexar

For you Hexar fans out there...

"Photographer and developer Ben Syverson has created an iPhone camera app called Mattebox that mimics the Konica Hexar, a luxury point-and-shoot from 1993 that was powerful enough for professionals but simple and intuitive enough for beginners. It’s one of the most beautifully designed camera apps we’ve seen yet, and comes with a number of fancy features baked into it (e.g. dual stage shutter release, highlight recovery, advanced B&W conversion). The app costs $4 over in the iTunes App Store."

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/01/30/...-konica-hexar/

My Blog
Personal Instruction
In Photography

M8
M6TTL .58
M6TTL .85
50mm Summilux Pre-Asph
90mm Summarit
Ultron 35 f1.7
VC 75 f2.5

Old 02-02-2012   #2
regularchickens

Ben is a member of these forums, as I recall.

It does look impressive. I may try it out (and add it to the large variety of apps I already have on the old telephone - Camera+, Instagram, and Snapseed are the best I've used so far).

Old 02-02-2012   #3
damonsong

I really like the idea and interface, I am gonna try it on my wife's iPhone since mine is only a 3GS, and will give feedback after a few days!

Old 02-02-2012   #4
Mudman

Damon - does this not work on the 3gs? or do you not want to try it with the low megapixel camera?

Old 02-02-2012   #5
River Dog
Always looking

I tried it. You have no control over the camera other than to lock exposure and focus, which is a nice touch. The ISO numbers disappeared on me, but as you can't control that either, it doesn't matter. Don't get too excited about the white balance adjustment. It is in post-production, not pre-shot.

Then you go into the post-processing for which it can't touch Snapseed. So, even for the price, on an iPhone 4... meh.

Old 02-02-2012   #6
damonsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Damon - does this not work on the 3gs? or do you not want to try it with the low megapixel camera?
Mudman,
I am just afraid 3GS might not be fast enough for this app, and I dont want to ruined the experience for that reason.

Old 02-02-2012   #7
damonsong

The price is also what I am concern about, because most of the very popular camera app are around 0.99 50 1.99 USD, I appreciated the work Ben has put in, but I am just saying if you want this app to be more popular you might want to drop the price, in return you will get more people that are willing to give it a try.

Old 02-02-2012   #8
bensyverson

Hi guys!

Speed should be okay on 3GS, but do let me know if you find it slow.

The white balance has a unique one-touch lock, so it is adjustable before the shot is taken. Then in post, you can adjust color balance. I have an update coming that will let you preview and adjust the image adjustments in the viewfinder. It feels a bit weird to me to do your post effects before you ever take the photo, but I can see why people want it... You can more easily visualize a high-contrast B&W preset, for example.

I realize the price is a bit high for some people, but there are a number of little unique things that hopefully add up to make it worth it. The dual stage shutter, the fast 32 bit adjustments, the ability to share presets, etc.

Honestly, if I made this a $0.99 app, I would have nothing but one star reviews from people who don't understand why there isn't a zoom feature, or light leaks, or (fill in the blank). The price hopefully encourages people to research the app a little before they buy.

Let me know if anybody has any questions!

Old 02-03-2012   #9
Teuthida
-

Too expensive? four dollars is a steal. Most people spend that on a cup of coffee.

Well done, Ben.

Old 02-03-2012   #10
johannielscom
Off to Nikon dSLR, MF

Only four days until I can pick up my iPhone 4S 64Gb in white and I'm going to drop this app onto it asap once I do!

www.johanniels.com

See ya.

Old 02-21-2012   #11
hlockwood

O.K., here is the dumb question of the day: I have it on my iPhone; now, how do I take a picture? And is there a manual somewhere?

Harry

Leica M7/0.85, Hexar RF, M9-P and a bunch of lenses.

Old 02-21-2012   #12
hlockwood

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
Hi guys!

Speed should be okay on 3GS, but do let me know if you find it slow.

The white balance has a unique one-touch lock, so it is adjustable before the shot is taken. Then in post, you can adjust color balance. I have an update coming that will let you preview and adjust the image adjustments in the viewfinder. It feels a bit weird to me to do your post effects before you ever take the photo, but I can see why people want it... You can more easily visualize a high-contrast B&W preset, for example.

I realize the price is a bit high for some people, but there are a number of little unique things that hopefully add up to make it worth it. The dual stage shutter, the fast 32 bit adjustments, the ability to share presets, etc.

Honestly, if I made this a $0.99 app, I would have nothing but one star reviews from people who don't understand why there isn't a zoom feature, or light leaks, or (fill in the blank). The price hopefully encourages people to research the app a little before they buy.

Let me know if anybody has any questions!
See my questions in post #11.

Old 02-21-2012   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

I have an HTC EVO 4G Android camera phone. Too bad for me. Is there a similar app for such cameras? Is there any good camera app?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 02-21-2012   #14
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
The white balance has a unique one-touch lock, so it is adjustable before the shot is taken. Then in post, you can adjust color balance. I have an update coming that will let you preview and adjust the image adjustments in the viewfinder.

Ben, I like your app for the iPhone and it's a bargain. Your website mattebox.com has excellent explanations.

And, the free features on the website mattebox.net to "sweeten your photos" is a very nice touch.

You have a very nice idea in the adjustments you provide, you claim "more control with fewer controls" and I think you have done it.

[ No relationship; just an a buyer who is impressed. ]

SLR, dSLR, and compact RF's. Black Yashica RFs; Nikon & Contax/Yashica SLRs; Nikon digital.
Where did all these cameras come from?

Old 02-21-2012   #15
maggieo
More Deadly

It took me a little while to really get the hang of using it, but Mattebox has become my default camera app on the iPhone, dethroning even the mighty Hipstamatic. I think Ben has really made a camera app that makes the iPhone work like a camera!!

M8 by Mattebox in B&W, January 28, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Mikey and Amelia, February 03, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Snow Falling! February 05, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Old 02-21-2012   #16
pdexposures

Just grabbed it, I love playing with camera apps haha

Leica M6- 35mm Cron V3 / 50mm Cron V3 / 90mm Elmar-C
Hasselblad 500cm - 80mm Planar
Nikon FM3a - 50mm 1.4 Nikkor

www.pdexposures.com <- Film camera reviews, podcast, flim news and general tom foolery

Old 02-21-2012   #17
ColSebastianMoran

So -- Ben's part of our little community here. He's a serious photographer and has created a serious camera app for the iPhone.

We can help him by clicking "Like" on the Mattebox page at Facebook, mentioning it to our friends, mentioning mattebox.com on Twitter, and so forth. Oh, and by purchasing the app. Best $4 camera you'll ever find!

SLR, dSLR, and compact RF's. Black Yashica RFs; Nikon & Contax/Yashica SLRs; Nikon digital.
Where did all these cameras come from?

Old 02-21-2012   #18
hlockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
Ben, I like your app for the iPhone and it's a bargain. Your website mattebox.com has excellent explanations.

And, the free features on the website mattebox.net to "sweeten your photos" is a very nice touch.

You have a very nice idea in the adjustments you provide, you claim "more control with fewer controls" and I think you have done it.

[ No relationship; just an a buyer who is impressed. ]
And thanks, Colonel, for the help off line. No need for additional input on my post.

Harry

Old 02-21-2012   #19
bensyverson

Wow, thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't see your post in time, Harry. If you guys ever have a question, feel free to PM me, which should notify me via email.

I'm working on 2.0 right now, trying to add a few features without cluttering up the interface any more!

Old 04-19-2012   #20
gustavo peña
spanish speaker

i just got it!
nice!

Old 04-21-2012   #21
kzphoto

Ben,

I saw this RFF post awhile back but I didn't pay much attention to it. I thought "geez, another camera app. Here we go..."

After buying the app and playing around for a few minutes, I have dumped the regular Apple camera and I am sticking to Mattebox. Thanks for making a great application.

Any way to control ISO / aperture?

Old 04-21-2012   #22
andredossantos

Really cool. I'll be buying.

Website

Flickr

Old 04-21-2012   #23
gho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaso View Post
For you Hexar fans out there...
Sweet! Does it give me the same powers as the Hexar?

Old 04-21-2012   #24
gdmcclintock

Just installed the app on my iPhone. Looks pretty cool...

Old 04-21-2012   #25
bensyverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzphoto View Post
Ben,

I saw this RFF post awhile back but I didn't pay much attention to it. I thought "geez, another camera app. Here we go..."

After buying the app and playing around for a few minutes, I have dumped the regular Apple camera and I am sticking to Mattebox. Thanks for making a great application.

Any way to control ISO / aperture?
Cool, thanks Kevin!! All during the development, I was thinking "just what the world needs—yet another camera app!" But there were a few simple things that I wanted, and couldn't find anywhere else.

I'm working hard on 2.0 right now. Although Apple doesn't provide a way to control ISO & Shutter directly, I've found a workaround. So 2.0 will have some very exclusive exposure tools. I still think people should see the iPhone for what it is—a point and shoot—but a premium P&S always has some tricks up its sleeve.