Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

Old 02-02-2012   #81
raid
Dad Photographer

Compare this ugly dog to the elegant LX. Too bad that Pentax has slipped into a pit.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-02-2012   #82
kshapero
Rangefinder Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
no vf=no buy

just my opinion, but at this stage of mirrorless cam development, lack of vf means manufacturer is just not 'serious'. ugly is ok, but impractical is not.
Don't these manufacturers know by now that we want a built in EVF. At least Nikon got that right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Yes I have 2 Rangefinders.

Old 02-02-2012   #83
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Don't these manufacturers know by now that we want a built in EVF.
Nope, because the snapshot consumers seem to actually like LCDs... you can always tell when camera companies aren't putting out a serious product made for photographers.... by the lack of VF.

Old 02-02-2012   #84
btgc

LCD in bright light? Not a problem anymore!

Photographer's assistant by mm35exp36, on Flickr

Old 02-02-2012   #85
jbielikowski
Jan Bielikowski

yeah, its ugly.

Old 02-02-2012   #86
Jamie123

I'm usually quite open-minded about new designs but this is really ridiculous. It's just awful and I'd be seriously surprised if it had even modest success.

What's funny is that they seem to be targeting the "fashion and design market": http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...rorless-camera

What the guy is saying is basically, yes, they know it's got no advantages over a DSLR and that it's design is the main selling point. Good luck with that.

Old 02-02-2012   #87
Travis L.
Registered Userino

hmmmm..

Old 02-02-2012   #88
nightfly

Another take:

"Designed by Marc Newson, the K-01 from Pentax is the most photogenic camera I've seen in awhile. Until now, the design-driven segment of mid to high-end cameras has been dominated by vintage-inspired units like the gorgeous Fuji X Series. Newson's signature style distinguishes the K-01 from the rest with a design that's simultaneously modern, classic and timeless...."

http://www.coolhunting.com/tech/pentax-k-01.php

Old 02-02-2012   #89
celluloidprop

It's ugly as sin, but looks are tertiary to ability. I don't get the point of a mirrorless that's not designed to take full advantage of what mirrorless can offer - smaller bodies, smaller lenses, usability with third-party lenses, etc..

Old 02-02-2012   #90
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

Doesn't look so bad in silver or yellow. Just change out the strap.
Not that I plan to buy one...

Old 02-02-2012   #91
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Realized that it makes me think of Fisher-Price. Looks just like a camera for kids.

Regarding the Coolhunting praise...I have to ask, if this had been designed in-house by Pentax and, therefore, didn't have a prestigious designer's name attached to it, would Coolhunting (and the like) think it so great?

Old 02-02-2012   #92
rolleistef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRoRm8Ls7E

Interview with Mr Newson.
"How would you describe it?" "It really isn't a toy, it is a semi-professional camera". Err...

RFF EuroMeet 2010-Florence !!!

Old 02-02-2012   #93
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Interesting, I took a degree from NYU in graphic design after I was Injured on the Job.

And maybe you Should ask a Staging/Lighting/A/V pro for Advice on interior design, After all they do manage to turn a pigs ear in to a silk purse on a daily basis.

This was in the day when you could still get Apple clones, (Umax etc...)

Trust me, there where a lot of them in use in NYC at the time before Apple pulled the plug. Apparently the Easy Access cases of these clones appealed to a large crowd of Mac OS users.

I Honestly dont know where you get it from that Designers need their tools to look as good as their end product.

And that goes for any Field. Functionality comes first.
I would never ask a grip or AV Pro for advice on interior design. Never. I'm pretty sure there's a huge divide between knowing how to light or mic something versus design something. Grips are not Set Designers. And vice versa. I used to be involved in music production - i know some people. I've been around those people. I'm in advertising now, and know some people. They are the last people i'd want to have anything to do with design. We are generalizing here, of course.

I didn't say designers NEED their products to look as good as their end product. The word is WANT.

And, i will dispute your claim that "functionality comes first" in any field. Simply not true. That's why there is a Fashion Industry. It's how they can sell jeans for $300 and suits for $3000. It's why there's an auto industry that can sell a Ferrari/Maybach/Bentley when a Hyundai can get you there in exactly the same amount of time, and probably with more reliability. It's why there's an Art World, when art serves no practical function.

You're going to have to face some facts. Chief among them is that THE EXPERIENCE is a critical factor with a great number of consumers. And the experience encompasses aesthetics and design. The next fact is that this camera is butt-ugly. I'm sorry.

Does it matter? Depends on who you ask. I used to shoot fashion when the Pentax 67 was The Camera. I hated the design of that beast. The "II" came along and fixed some of the issues. But, i still had an older model dedicated to a Polaroid back, and every time i had to pick it up, there was a 'shock to the system.' I exaggerate. A little. I am sensitive to sensual and aesthetic matters, sure. But, i'm not that unique.

Old 02-02-2012   #94
btgc

No one has mentioned battery life or hot shoe on lens axis - just grinding and grinding on how it looks. For lovers of beauty there are iphones and other istuff. Give chance to damn thing, don't bury it before someone has got hands on it. And why everyone is obsessed with idea mirror-less camera should be tiny?

Old 02-02-2012   #95
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris00nj View Post
I'm sure the quality of the images will be rather competitive with other mirror-less offerings or the K-5.

When deciding on a camera, other variables like size and ergonomics come into play.
Agreed.
Does anyone believe that if the Leica M series looked like this, it would still have the same number of devotees and level of fanaticism? Granted, this is 'digital,' and no one expects these 'devices' to be similarly 'classic' and longlasting....

Someone here or elsewhere opined that 'real photographers' don't care what the cameras they use look like. But, i can't think of any real photographers who used/were dedicated to significantly ugly gear during/throughout their careers. The ugliest super popular camera i can think of is the Pentax 67, and it isn't even that bad. It's just sorta 'primitive' and inelegant. I think, when there were fewer cameras/camera companies putting out pro-level stuff, there was a higher standard. Rollei, Contax, Leica, Nikon, and later, Canon.... They all had their stinkers, but the stinkers never defined a trend or became the launching point for a series.

Old 02-02-2012   #96
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Give chance to damn thing, don't bury it before someone has got hands on it. And why everyone is obsessed with idea mirror-less camera should be tiny?
The whole point of mirrorless cameras was to make them smaller so you'll be more likely to carry it with you... they were made in reaction to DSLRs and their huge size (mostly).

Old 02-02-2012   #97
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6andBthere View Post
The top view is interesting ... to say the least! (I'm biting my tongue here!)

Gulp ... there appears to be an HDR setting!
Oh wow..

Pentax remember your spotmatics? And the MX? And the beautiful LX?
This camera just doesn't fit. It looks like something GE or some obscure chinese electronics company would build. What happened to ergonomic design?
I'd hate to be a pentax rep at an imaging show trying to sell one of these things. At least with the (slightly less hideous) Pentax Q you can show how tiny it is. With this - I can't really see any advantages.

Old 02-02-2012   #99
rolleistef

Wasn't there a film called "the Blob"?

RFF EuroMeet 2010-Florence !!!

Old 02-02-2012   #100
gavinlg

Old 02-02-2012   #101
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
Thing is, this isn't an Equalizer you can stick into a 1u rack space and forget about. I'm like the Dane. Anything i have to live with, wear, and/or use on a daily basis has to be designed to a certain standard.
Even some 1u rack space devices are designed to please the eye.

The whole "only picture quality matters" only holds water if you only see pictures and never use a camera.

Last edited by shadowfox : 02-02-2012 at 12:56. Reason: added picture

Old 02-02-2012   #102
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Oh wow..

Pentax remember your spotmatics? And the MX? And the beautiful LX?
This camera just doesn't fit. It looks like something GE or some obscure chinese electronics company would build. What happened to ergonomic design?
Gavin, you forgot one important name in unergonomic design hall of fame: A r g u s

Old 02-02-2012   #103
Teuthida
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Still less ugly than an M5.
You are insane. The M5 is the best M Camera ever produced.

Old 02-02-2012   #104
f6andBthere
-

The comparison made earlier to the Digilux is all very well but really ... they are chalk and cheese. The Leica, inspite of the chunky design, has some form/elegance and looks quite good IMO. The Pentax doesn't seem to look right or even close to right from any angle!

It's a turd ... and if it is actually a sales success it'll only be because they're offering a lifetime supply of polish with each unit sold!

Old 02-02-2012   #105
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
Actually, if you look at the BJP link I posted, you'll find that the Pentax UK spokesperson specifically states that it's really the design that's important here, not the functions (as it really offers no advantages over a DSLR). So it's not entirely unfair of people to focus their criticism on the design.

Also, everyone's entitled to their opinion and everyone has their own taste but I certainly don't think that the fact alone that it's a departure from the "me-too or retro designs produced by most camera designers" makes it a successful design. Doing something different is very easy. You can make a camera that camouflages as a turd and it would certainly be different and unusual. Doing something different that's good is the hard part. Pentax, it seems, has chosen to do the former.

I don't get it, it is smaller, it is cheaper, and it has M, Av, Tv which is all I want. It is new and very different for a digital camera, still give me a reason why I wouldn't buy one over a DSLR. I've had many SLRs and two DSLRs; they are 'foxtrot-ing' pains in the rectal area.

Old 02-02-2012   #106
f6andBthere
-

Interesting to go over to the Pentax forum for a looksee ... they have a forum dedicated to the camera and heaps of posts/threads praising it.

But it is the 'Pentax' forum I guess!

We tend to look at everything here from our own point of interest based on the cameras we like ... there's obviously a world of people out there who think differently to us. Who would have thought that?

Old 02-02-2012   #107
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The more you guys kvetch the more I like it.

Chris

Old 02-02-2012   #108
f6andBthere
-

All the people who went out and bought and loved (guilty here) those boxy Volvos from the seventies and eighties will want one for sure!

Old 02-02-2012   #109
charjohncarter

Quote:
All the people who went out and bought and loved (guilty here) those boxy Volvos from the seventies and eighties will want one for sure!
No, I want one of these:

It looks really like bitching.

Old 02-02-2012   #110
Archlich

Quote:
The comparison made earlier to the Digilux is all very well but really ... they are chalk and cheese. The Leica, inspite of the chunky design, has some form/elegance and looks quite good IMO. The Pentax doesn't seem to look right or even close to right from any angle!

It's a turd ... and if it is actually a sales success it'll only be because they're offering a lifetime supply of polish with each unit sold!

I specified Digilux 1...which is like the Argus C3 reborn.

Old 02-02-2012   #111
f6andBthere
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
I specified Digilux 1...which is like the Argus C3 reborn.

Even that oddball looks better than the Pentax IMO!

Old 02-02-2012   #112
willie_901

Well that was fun.

williamchuttonjr.com, FLICKR,

Old 02-02-2012   #113
benlees

Quote:

No need to drag us through the mud. The first gen. Datsun 510 (Bluebird) is my favourite car of all!

Old 02-02-2012   #114
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
How about the quality of the picture that it takes? Does anyone care about that? S
That's up to the photographer!

Old 02-02-2012   #115
f6andBthere
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
No need to drag us through the mud. The first gen. Datsun 510 (Bluebird) is my favourite car of all!

Seriously ... they were a great car. I can see why you like them!

Old 02-02-2012   #116
PhotoMat

I'm sure that there are some who will like the color scheme.

Old 02-02-2012   #117
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I don't get it, it is smaller, it is cheaper, and it has M, Av, Tv which is all I want. It is new and very different for a digital camera, still give me a reason why I wouldn't buy one over a DSLR. I've had many SLRs and two DSLRs; they are 'foxtrot-ing' pains in the rectal area.
If you look at the comparison picture posted by gavinlg it looks like it's only marginally smaller than a DSLR and it uses the exact same lenses. And at almost the same size it doesn't have a viewfinder. I guess it's just not clear why someone who doesn't like DSLRs would like this one.

Old 02-02-2012   #118
Spyro

pointless mirrorless

Actually I dont mind the design so much, just the pointlessness.
I bet it will become very popular for its looks in certain crowds.

Old 02-03-2012   #119
mugent

It's design is actually starting to grow on me, it's still a big ugly, but at least it's different, rather just another black blob. What frustrates me, is that had they given it a decent EVF, then it would be great, but as it is, it seems a few years behind everyone else.

Old 02-03-2012   #120
Paul T.

Looking at the first photo, I disliked it, it looked toy-like. It made me think of some of Newson's designs that have dated. But looking at more photos, I reckon first impressions were deceiving. It's pretty minimal, simple, and works for me.

Unfortunately I tried the 60mm view for six months with my R-D1 and hated it.