Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Other CSC Cameras

Old 02-01-2012   #51
CK Dexter Haven

This is truly the work of the devil.

Old 02-01-2012   #52
Disaster_Area
Gadget Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Espiritu View Post
Hahaha! You're right, it does resemble him a bit. So what camera would be the Baroness?
Why... a black Fuji Klasse of course Sleek and sexy, with a touch of klass

Old 02-01-2012   #53
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Nice one! The Baroness always had Klasse. Too bad about the company she kept. Though there was the good Baroness in the alternative dimension. In that dimension right now, people on fora are decrying the ugliness of the X-1 Pro and lauding the new Pentax as the best camera design since the M3.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 02-01-2012   #54
Corto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
Thing is, this isn't an Equalizer you can stick into a 1u rack space and forget about. I'm like the Dane. Anything i have to live with, wear, and/or use on a daily basis has to be designed to a certain standard.

While i certainly 'get' that some people feel tools are tools and pants are pants and cars are cars... i'm not one of those people. I don't want to be the type who is proud of a stunted aesthetic sensibility. Frankly, i'm always a bit surprised when someone who is supposedly involved in aesthetic pursuits (photography) somehow limits their aesthetic interests when it comes to industrial design.

My "field," at present, is graphic design. In the years i've spent in my field, EVERYONE gives a rats ass what the equipment looks like. It's probably why Macs are the industry standard. Conversely, i would never think to ask an AV Pro for design/fashion/decor advice.
Interesting, I took a degree from NYU in graphic design after I was Injured on the Job.

And maybe you Should ask a Staging/Lighting/A/V pro for Advice on interior design, After all they do manage to turn a pigs ear in to a silk purse on a daily basis.

This was in the day when you could still get Apple clones, (Umax etc...)

Trust me, there where a lot of them in use in NYC at the time before Apple pulled the plug. Apparently the Easy Access cases of these clones appealed to a large crowd of Mac OS users.

I Honestly dont know where you get it from that Designers need their tools to look as good as their end product.

And that goes for any Field. Functionality comes first.

Old 02-01-2012   #55
ChrisN
Striving

It takes its styling clues from the earlier Pentax MZ series. Pentax is nothing if not guided by its own history.

Pentax MZ-5n K7NS1901 [Public domain], by Nick4Penta (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 02-01-2012   #56
djcphoto
An Englishman Abroad

No surprise here. The last good looking Pentax was the MX...

Old 02-01-2012   #57
Disaster_Area
Gadget Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
And that goes for any Field. Functionality comes first.

True, but looks can run a close second many times. As a previous poster said, it sometimes literally pays to look professional.

I was recently hired to shoot a wedding reception in a documentary/candid style, all black and white, nothing posed and was contacted because the client loved my street photography and found me through Flickr. When I met the client for a coffee to discuss the terms, I had my Nex 3 with me. After talking for a while, she said "Oh, I see you brought a little point and shoot with you, do you always carry a camera? What would you be shooting the wedding with?" When I told her at least part of my shooting would be done with the Nex, she gave me a very confused and worried look... I had to re-talk a customer into my services who had originally talked herself into hiring me. It was actually very difficult to explain that a tiny camera like the NEX is capable of professional results, in fact most of the photos she loved from my Flickr were taken with it.

If mirror-less is the way of the future , Fuji's the only camera manufacturer that's realized that if they want serious pros to even consider replacing their DSLR's with mirrorless cameras, they're going to have to make professional looking cameras. Clients have a to varying degree an abstract idea of what a "professional" camera should look like... anything that doesn't fit that mental picture is going to make you look less professional than the next guy.

Old 02-01-2012   #58
Corto

Sure man, But in your case it has nothing to do how well it was designed, Your client obviously wanted to see a BIG, Complicated looking thing.

Old 02-01-2012   #59
chris00nj
Young Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
How about the quality of the picture that it takes? Does anyone care about that? S

I'm sure the quality of the images will be rather competitive with other mirror-less offerings or the K-5.

When deciding on a camera, other variables like size and ergonomics come into play.

Flickr

Blog

Old 02-01-2012   #60
Zarkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Ugly: who cares, what is the image quality? Can we use any of the 10 million lenses made for it? Is that penta hump for a future EVF or does it have one?

Size: K-01-12.1cm wide x 7.9cm high x 5.9 cm deep; K-5-131 x 97 x 73 mm, so smaller. Sony NEX-7-119.9 x 66.9 x 42.8 mm. Surprisingly, it isn't too much deeper than the NEX-7.
Same sensor as the K5 and Pentax rendering - meaning awesome image quality. Compatible with all K mount lenses. I am just hoping for an EVF.

Old 02-01-2012   #61
f6andBthere
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcphoto View Post
No surprise here. The last good looking Pentax was the MX...

I'd dispute that ... the 67ii has a real presence IMO. And not just because of it's size.

Old 02-01-2012   #62
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreilly View Post
Of course design and appearance matters. Do you dress up for an interview? Do you shave before a date? Would the Marines be taken as seriously if they walked around with dull swords and old flannel shirts sticking out of their flies?

So I'll state for the record that one of the considerations I have in buying a camera is the design and appearance. I spend a lot of time with this thing in my hand and yes, it's part of my persona like my boots, watch, and favorite wool coat. When I'm on a paying job, I want my appearance and the appearance of my equipment to look serious, professional, and like it was designed by somebody who had an idea or two rolling around in their heads. And yeah, I want it to work well as a tool. They're both essential to a good camera, in my opinion. To say otherwise is to discount the important role of the industrial designer.

If there are any Danes on the forum, I'd love for you to speak up on this matter. In my time in Denmark I rarely saw anything for sale that didn't have some thoughtful design behind it.
Amen. Aesthetic design and functional design should blend seamlessly into one experience. I want to admire my tools - I want them to be as beautiful as they are effective.

The problem is that there is some sort of weird socially based belief that one must be either good looking or intelligent/functional, and you can't be both at the same time. Bull****. Cameras like the leica M, the Nikon F/Canon 1 and hasselblads are living proof that something can be functional and aesthetically all at once.

Old 02-01-2012   #63
Spotmatic

That 40mm XS lens kills the looks of the camera, IMHO. It's probably the smallest lens ever made, but the camera looks much nicer with a classic lens on it, a 50mm f/1.4 (photoshopped by a nice fellow Pentaxian):

That changes it completely, eh? And it seems from the leaked specs that it features a focus peaking function. So good to use with MF lenses!

Old 02-02-2012   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippiejee View Post
first that butt-ugly Canon aps-c release...
Canon APS-C that isn't a DSLR... where?

Old 02-02-2012   #65
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxElmar View Post
And you will be happy to pay extra for the empty space where the mirror used to be.

What the heck is in the water over there at Pentax?
Isn't it about half the price of the K-5?

Old 02-02-2012   #66
mugent

I grew up on Pentax, I was hoping for something really good, but this is a fairly decent size balls up, the pentahump is just there for show with no EVF, and seemingly, not even the option for one. A Pentax K module for the GXR would of made much more sense, then bring out a GXR with integrated EVF, both M and K users would be happy.

The two tone thing is horrible, if they'd stuck with one colour, it might have had some quirky good looks to it, like the Pentax Q, which I can't help being drawn to.

Old 02-02-2012   #67
Mudman

I like it in Black and white.

Old 02-02-2012   #68
batterytypehah!
Lord of the Dings

So I'm waking up to find out that this nausea-inducing monstrosity is indeed official. Get all the specs over at Pentax forums. http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pen...announced.html

Start your run on K-mount wides now.

“Hair-splitting, of course. But hey, it's a LEICA. Probably there are those who get excited about the colour of the hairs you split.” – Roger Hicks

Contax IIa + Leica IIIf + M3 (project) + Zorki-1 (project) + Fuji GS645 + FED-2 + Vitomatic II + Revue 400SE + Olympus XA + more + still more

Old 02-02-2012   #69
f6andBthere
-

Woo hoo!

Old 02-02-2012   #70
al1966
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6andBthere View Post
Woo hoo!
Sorry than looks even more wrong wrong wrong and the colour makes me think of a child's vomit. Besides what is the point of a mirror less that is not much smaller than a DSLR?

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41452653@N05/

Old 02-02-2012   #71
mabelsound
actually a dude

The astonishing thing to me about this isn't that it's ugly--though I agree with the majority here that it's a highly unbalanced, unappealing design--but that it doesn't have any kind of viewfinder. The chunkiness is inevitable due to the registration distance, but it would have been quite reasonable to include an EVF. For that matter, there have been beautiful chunky cameras--the DMC-L1 for instance.

I think the MZ period was a design low point for Pentax and it's a shame they're referring to it here. The K-5, on the other hand, is really nice looking--straightforward and compact.

I'm more impressed with what Olympus seems to be doing, taking design cues from the OM-4ti for their new camera, and including an EVF.

Old 02-02-2012   #72
f6andBthere
-

The top view is interesting ... to say the least! (I'm biting my tongue here!)

Gulp ... there appears to be an HDR setting!

Old 02-02-2012   #73
btgc

Rear view: straight surface without rest for a thumb. Just like on $80 digicam.
Thumbwheel, laid into top cover catches attention but how practical it is?

"A K-5 with no mirror at half the price" - so K-5 has damn expensive mirror

Old 02-02-2012   #74
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Canon APS-C that isn't a DSLR... where?
Powershot G1 X
http://www.dpreview.com/products/can...acts/canon_g1x

Old 02-02-2012   #75
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post