Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Other CSC Cameras

Old 02-01-2012   #26
regularchickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger View Post
what is in that chimney sticking out.
Shades of the Nikon Photomic Ftn's massive metered prism. It wasn't exactly svelte, either.

I see DNA from both the GXR and the Q in this. And somebody's grandfather was a K-1000. So we have a mirrorless that's a bit smaller than a Pentax manual film body... but retains the hump and mirror box. Why? Oh, right, so that they wouldn't have to roll out a new line of lenses.

Old 02-01-2012   #27
batterytypehah!
Lord of the Dings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster_Area View Post
looks like one of those all-plastic fake SLR's from the 80's... the ones that were fixed focus point and shoots disguised as an SLR, with names like Mikkon and Cannon
My thought, too. Crossed with Thomas the Tank Engine, for that really young demographic.

“Hair-splitting, of course. But hey, it's a LEICA. Probably there are those who get excited about the colour of the hairs you split.” – Roger Hicks

Contax IIa + Leica IIIf + M3 (project) + Zorki-1 (project) + Fuji GS645 + FED-2 + Vitomatic II + Revue 400SE + Olympus XA + more + still more

Old 02-01-2012   #28
charjohncarter

Ugly: who cares, what is the image quality? Can we use any of the 10 million lenses made for it? Is that penta hump for a future EVF or does it have one?

Size: K-01-12.1cm wide x 7.9cm high x 5.9 cm deep; K-5-131 x 97 x 73 mm, so smaller. Sony NEX-7-119.9 x 66.9 x 42.8 mm. Surprisingly, it isn't too much deeper than the NEX-7.

Old 02-01-2012   #29
Darthfeeble

How about the quality of the picture that it takes? Does anyone care about that? S

Old 02-01-2012   #30
chrishayton

Looking at the photo it looks to be an internal lens. In other words maybe it will fit K mount lenses but it will also have some new lenses only for use in this new mirror less mount where the optic cell is in the camera (non retrofocus maybe) Therefore its still small and completely backwards compatible ( but no M mount!)

Old 02-01-2012   #31
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Hey, we would have all bitched if we were unable to use all those Pentax SLR lenses, right? I've seen uglier cameras, for sure (think Agfa and Voigtlander rangefinders of the 1960s).

Old 02-01-2012   #32
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
How about the quality of the picture that it takes? Does anyone care about that? S
No. The only important thing is how we feel the other cool people will feel about us if we use it.

At this stage I can't see an advantage over the K5. Any ideas?

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 02-01-2012   #33
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Ugly: who cares, what is the image quality? Can we use any of the 10 million lenses made for it? Is that penta hump for a future EVF or does it have one?

Size: K-01-12.1cm wide x 7.9cm high x 5.9 cm deep; K-5-131 x 97 x 73 mm, so smaller. Sony NEX-7-119.9 x 66.9 x 42.8 mm. Surprisingly, it isn't too much deeper than the NEX-7.
It has the 16MP sony sensor, which means same image quality as the K-5, D7000, NEX5N and a65, etc.

The hump is built-in flash.

Pentax is just too attached to their DA lens lineup...

Old 02-01-2012   #34
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Nice or ugly, that's not that important. But 60mm eq. FOV - anyone?
40mm pancake lens, 60mm-equivalent field of view (135 format standard). It's an odd length, but some like it a lot. There was a time when many SLRs came with a 58mm standard lens! Pentax's 43mm lens is quite nice, even on the crop sensor. The DA21mm lens (31mm-equivalent) could be quite nice on this body.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 02-01-2012   #35
Corto

I like it.

But then I also drink expensive wines from papercups and drive a pick up truck.

Old 02-01-2012   #36
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
it cant take good pictures if youre focusing while hoding it as you would a child with a dirty diaper.

Old 02-01-2012   #37
MaxElmar

Looks yuk. (But that's not very important.)

But native k-Mount? Really? How about a new mount and good quality adapters for K & M42?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, now advanced technology makes it possible to have a mirrorless camera with absolutely NO size advantage over DSLR. And you will be happy to pay extra for the empty space where the mirror used to be.

What the heck is in the water over there at Pentax?

Still Photographically Uncool

Old 02-01-2012   #38
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

I heard the IQ blows the X-1 Pro out of the water!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 02-01-2012   #39
Johann Espiritu
Lawyer / Ninja

It does *kinda* look like the Digilux 1...

If if feels solid in your hands, though, it might make up for it's odd looks.

My Flickr

manilacamerastyle

Old 02-01-2012   #40
benlees

You wanted a Fuji X pro 1 but got this instead. Sweet.

Old 02-01-2012   #41
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Of course design and appearance matters. Do you dress up for an interview? Do you shave before a date? Would the Marines be taken as seriously if they walked around with dull swords and old flannel shirts sticking out of their flies?

So I'll state for the record that one of the considerations I have in buying a camera is the design and appearance. I spend a lot of time with this thing in my hand and yes, it's part of my persona like my boots, watch, and favorite wool coat. When I'm on a paying job, I want my appearance and the appearance of my equipment to look serious, professional, and like it was designed by somebody who had an idea or two rolling around in their heads. And yeah, I want it to work well as a tool. They're both essential to a good camera, in my opinion. To say otherwise is to discount the important role of the industrial designer.

If there are any Danes on the forum, I'd love for you to speak up on this matter. In my time in Denmark I rarely saw anything for sale that didn't have some thoughtful design behind it.

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 02-01-2012   #42
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Espiritu View Post

You know, this reminds me of Destro.

And not much reminds me of Destro. But I think that's my deep-seeded hostility towards cameras that mix silver and black metal together.

Old 02-01-2012   #43
nighstar
eternal beginner

the camera doesn't look ugly to me..... odd, maybe, but ugly? no.

and besides, it's the photos it takes that matter.

Old 02-01-2012   #44
Taipei-metro

I need to upgrade my ★ist DL
It won't be this 01.
K-01, sounds like a Hoya filter.
This one is still Pentax
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/pe...ages/intro.jpg
Fits my hand.

Old 02-01-2012   #45
n5jrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris00nj View Post
As a result, the camera is just as big as an SLR, which erases the primary advantage of going mirror-less.
That's the main reason I thought the concept of making such a camera (EVIL, but to take SLR lenses) a bit odd and in fact doubted the veracity of the early rumors about such a beast.

Old 02-01-2012   #46
Corto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreilly View Post
Of course design and appearance matters. Do you dress up for an interview? Do you shave before a date? Would the Marines be taken as seriously if they walked around with dull swords and old flannel shirts sticking out of their flies?
I have No Idea what Field you work in, But In the years I spent as a AV pro NOBODY gave a rats ass about what the Equipment looked like.

Old 02-01-2012   #47
lynnb

I've figured it out. That thing sticking up between the lens mount and the grip is an oil filler cap. I hope it uses 100% synthetic.
I'm glad Ricoh bought Pentax. If this body proves unpopular, at least there are significant financial resources to mitigate any blips in revenue.
There are some really ugly cameras out there that have excellent IQ.

Old 02-01-2012   #48
Johann Espiritu
Lawyer / Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreilly View Post
You know, this reminds me of Destro.
Hahaha! You're right, it does resemble him a bit. So what camera would be the Baroness?

My Flickr

manilacamerastyle

Old 02-01-2012   #49
Benjamin Oliver

Maybe it's designed like that so that they can put a mechanism in the moves the sensor relative to the lens mount. You can then put any lens on it. . . . . Doubt it though

Blog

Old 02-01-2012   #50
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I have No Idea what Field you work in, But In the years I spent as a AV pro NOBODY gave a rats ass about what the Equipment looked like.
Thing is, this isn't an Equalizer you can stick into a 1u rack space and forget about. I'm like the Dane. Anything i have to live with, wear, and/or use on a daily basis has to be designed to a certain standard.

While i certainly 'get' that some people feel tools are tools and pants are pants and cars are cars... i'm not one of those people. I don't want to be the type who is proud of a stunted aesthetic sensibility. Frankly, i'm always a bit surprised when someone who is supposedly involved in aesthetic pursuits (photography) somehow limits their aesthetic interests when it comes to industrial design.

My "field," at present, is graphic design. In the years i've spent in my field, EVERYONE gives a rats ass what the equipment looks like. It's probably why Macs are the industry standard. Conversely, i would never think to ask an AV Pro for design/fashion/decor advice.