Old 01-31-2012   #1
Teuthida
-

Stand Develop Pan-F in Rodinal 1:100?

Anyone tried?

Old 01-31-2012   #2
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Yup, done it many times. I pre-soak for a minute in water before development. Turns out well (1 hour stand, agitate first minute then park it). If I can find a sample I'll post it later.

Kent

Old 01-31-2012   #3
ChrisN
Striving

I've got a few sample images in the big Rodinal stand dev thread, at post #131.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...&postcount=131

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 01-31-2012   #4
gb hill

I've got 3 rolls left of Pan F to shoot. I like what Chris had done with his 1:200 stand method with Rodinal. Saving it for this spring/summer but our winters have been so mild I just might have to shoot a roll soon.
CanonetChronicles

Old 01-31-2012   #5
Mablo

PanF+ is quite unpredictable in Rodinal IMO. It's very nice when everything goes well but then suddenly you will find your negs with strong contrast for seemingly no reason at all. The other thing I don't like about is it doesn't seem to respond well when you decrease agitation or shorten dev time. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 02-01-2012   #6
Teuthida
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mablo View Post
PanF+ is quite unpredictable in Rodinal IMO. It's very nice when everything goes well but then suddenly you will find your negs with strong contrast for seemingly no reason at all. The other thing I don't like about is it doesn't seem to respond well when you decrease agitation or shorten dev time. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.
First, thank you everyone for your reponses. This forum is a great resource.

As for the above response, I've heard this elsewhere, thus my question to the forum.

I've decided to use the remaining Pan-F I have for a documentary assignment I'm doing. Not time sensitive, but need to know the results will be acceptable from a technicl standpoint. It's all daylight shooting, hence the low ISO. But I'd like to develop it myself instead if farming it out.

If not Rodinal, what would you suggest for results that will eventually be scanned i.e. not crazy grain or contrast?

Old 02-01-2012   #7
Austerby

I've had good results using both Perceptol and ID11 1+1. I tend not to use long development times as I've had problems with bromide drag in the past, so Rodinal 1+25 or 1+50 has been fine too.

Old 02-05-2012   #8
---f
one day at a time

I'll have to give this 1:200 a shot. I've got a couple hundreds roll of PanF 50/120 format in the freezer. Worth testing a few rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I've got a few sample images in the big Rodinal stand dev thread, at post #131.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...&postcount=131

Old 02-06-2012   #9
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

As far as I have been able to discern, stand development in Rodinal is a waste of time. At 1:100, I highly doubt there is any benefit to develop longer than about 19 minutes. This dilution develops to exhaustion. The shot below is PanF+ at 1:100 for 19 minutes, with initial 30 seconds agitation, then no agitation afterward. Further sitting in liquid doesn't help the grain or emulsion stability, IMO. And it wastes my time.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 02-06-2012   #10
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Same treatment here, though with Hexanon 40/2 as opposed to Zuiko 28/2.8 above.

Full size here

Old 02-06-2012   #11
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
As far as I have been able to discern, stand development in Rodinal is a waste of time. At 1:100, I highly doubt there is any benefit to develop longer than about 19 minutes. This dilution develops to exhaustion. The shot below is PanF+ at 1:100 for 19 minutes, with initial 30 seconds agitation, then no agitation afterward. Further sitting in liquid doesn't help the grain or emulsion stability, IMO. And it wastes my time.
Mike Johnston (The Online Photographer) recently had a very interesting post about sensitometry and the use of the densitometer. He relates the advice from guru Phil Davis:

"When I first tried extended development in dilute Rodinal—1:100 or 1:150 for 45 minutes or an hour, I think it was—I mentioned in an email to Phil that I'd gotten very pretty negatives but that I'd nearly driven myself out of my gourd with boredom. "Anyway, it works," I concluded. About half a day later Phil emailed me back and told me to try the exact same technique, but for 18 minutes or whatever it was. I did, and the negatives were...to my amazement, essentially identical with the first ones. He had run some quick tests in the intervening time and determined what I conveyed to you above."

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 02-06-2012   #12
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Chris: It's nice with the Interwebs agree with me.

I came to the conclusion a couple of years ago, but didn't publish. Oh, if only I had; I'd likely be filthy rich now. And the object of flickr scorn.

Old 02-06-2012   #13
Freakscene
I've chosen darkness

About 20 minutes is the maximum that dilute Rodinal needs under normal circumstances. The only exception is if you use a larger volume than minimum - e.g. if you develop a single roll in a litre of 1+100 or 1+200. In that case you have about as much stock per roll as you would if you developed 4 rolls in a litre of 1+25 or 1+50 and it takes longer to exhaust. I have some test results somewhere that showed that Rodinal used this way exhausted in (I think) about 35-40 minutes. Any more is probably hurting more than it helps, and as Mike said, will drive anyone who is short on patience to distraction.

Marty

Old 02-06-2012   #14
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Quick side note... If you're shooting a project with Pan F make sure you develop it in a reasonable time period. I have left a few laying around for a couple months and the images degraded to the point they weren't usable, or visible!

Ilford mentions it in the documentation, they mean it. Inside a month is their recommendation, a few weeks max is mine.

Beyond that...great film and thread!

Old 02-06-2012   #15
Freakscene
I've chosen darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdemas View Post
Quick side note... If you're shooting a project with Pan F make sure you develop it in a reasonable time period. I have left a few laying around for a couple months and the images degraded to the point they weren't usable, or visible!

Ilford mentions it in the documentation, they mean it. Inside a month is their recommendation, a few weeks max is mine.
Absolutely. Pan F has an even shorter latency than TMZ or Delta 3200, which I've always found physico-chemically baffling considering how much light an ISO50 emulsion has strike it to make an image, but it's demonstrably true.

Develop right away.

Marty