Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

EVF Focus Accuracy Superior with Noctilux at f1.0
Old 01-25-2012   #1
eleskin

EVF Focus Accuracy Superior with Noctilux at f1.0

I own a Leica M8 and an Nex 5n. I purchased the Nex for better high ISO and a different way to focus my Noctilux. What I have noticed is that at f1.0 and with focus peaking, I am getting many more in focus keepers with the EVF method with the Noctilux at f1.0, especially with moving subjects. I have been using rangefinders for years (since 1987) and I remember rangefinders were favored for focus accuracy with wide angle lenses. This is true especially with lenses greater than 35mm and wider f stops. The unfortunate thing right now is APS C is the largest sensor at the moment. What I would like to see is a Fuji X1 pro body full frame with the NEX 7 EVF and focus peaking. That would do it for me.

Old 01-25-2012   #2
BMacW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleskin View Post
I own a Leica M8 and an Nex 5n. I purchased the Nex for better high ISO and a different way to focus my Noctilux. What I have noticed is that at f1.0 and with focus peaking, I am getting many more in focus keepers with the EVF method with the Noctilux at f1.0, especially with moving subjects. I have been using rangefinders for years (since 1987) and I remember rangefinders were favored for focus accuracy with wide angle lenses. This is true especially with lenses greater than 35mm and wider f stops. The unfortunate thing right now is APS C is the largest sensor at the moment. What I would like to see is a Fuji X1 pro body full frame with the NEX 7 EVF and focus peaking. That would do it for me.
Not sure how much of it is related to the more DOF from the smaller sensor.

Old 01-25-2012   #3
MaxElmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW View Post
Not sure how much of it is related to the more DOF from the smaller sensor.
If one is looking at pixels (or film with a loupe) to determine the point of focus vs the intended point of focus, it's not really related at all, is it?

Still Photographically Uncool

Old 01-25-2012   #4
thegman

Focus peaking is probably going to be perfect, a range finder likely not. Back focus issues etc. won't affect an EVF, but it does affect a range finder. Focus peaking cannot fall out alignment, a range finder can.

Focus peaking, by design will be more accurate, however I guess most of us would prefer the user experience of a range finder.

Old 01-25-2012   #5
Roger Hicks

No doubt true. The only question is what it is worth to you to shoot with an RF camera.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-25-2012   #6
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

Title should be: Focusing Noctilux at f1.0 more accurate with EVF. Just saying.