Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 01-18-2012   #81
myM8yogi

The OM1 was the camera that drew me into photography and I still love it very dearly. It remains the best SLR I have ever used thanks to the shutter speed dial ergonomics, the beautiful shutter release, and that massive viewfinder. It is small and simple, yet very rewarding to use.
I still hold onto a 50/1.2 and a few other OM lenses because they are small and optically very good and can fit onto many camera mounts via adapters. I used them on Canon for a while but was frustrated by the Canon viewfinders.

If a full frame digital "OM1" was ever announced I would sell my M9 immediately. Considering how much I love the M9, that is one hell of a thing to say.

I do not think it will ever happen.

Old 01-18-2012   #82
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
Why is that a problem? The only problem might be open-aperture shots outdoors. Sunny 16 means that you'll need a fast enough shutter (1/8000 for f/1.4 outdoors) or use an ND filter, which coincidentally some newer cameras have built-in.
You answered your own question. Lets say you are going to shoot a portrait with a bright back ground and the subject in shade. You'll need a ND filter or low ISO to use a wide aperture (oof background) and get a slow enough shutter speed to synch with fill flash on the subject. The other way is a camera design and expensive flash that can do the high speed synch.

Another scenario is need of wide aperture, but a slow shutter speed for some motion blur. ND filter or low ISO would both work. A built in ND filter of a least 2 stops would be nice in either scenario. Aside from the occasional inconvenience, a screw on ND can cause problems with cameras that hunt for focus in low light. I don't know how a built in ND works, so I don't know if the same problem can occur.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 01-18-2012   #83
Jamie123

On a purely non-digital OM note: I just bought a OM-4Ti for $50. It's quite beat up but seems to be working perfectly

Old 01-18-2012   #84
kanzlr
Hexaneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Depends - if you have a high contrast scene where highlights can easily blow out, iso 100 is slightly better. If you have a low contrast scene and want completely noise free/smooth shadows or the ability to lift the shadows without noise, iso 50 is quite a bit better.
using the sensors native ISO is best. Use less, you lose dynamic range. Push it, and you also push the noise.

Old 01-18-2012   #85
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Minimum sensitivity of ISO 200 is too high for my taste.
Earl,

These newfangled digital sensors cast a new light on ISO rating. It's trickier than film to predict thanks to the software layer where they can do anything to the raw sensor data as long as the processor's computing power still allows for responsive operation (of the camera).

I've seen a shot from my E-P2 that looks like HDR, straight out of the camera. I almost didn't believe it when I first saw it.

Old 01-18-2012   #86
rbelyell

where some see sadness others are happy that heritage and history are not totally left on the scrapheap. the truth is these film cameras will never be re released as film cameras, so they will either be updated as modern digital takes on classics or will slowly continue to die out. i am much happier holding the digi pen or retro x100 in my hand than the cold 'modern' nex line.

Old 01-18-2012   #87
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by claacct View Post
But these gimmicky digital retros are NOT the successors of those cameras... If this was a FF OM that supported mechanical MF and had a VF the size of the original OM then maybe, but not a M43 in the clothing of an OM...

... And we're talking about cameras here not History of The Peloponnesian War, so lets keep heritage and history where they belong...
They are not successors because they are not made for legacy parts... I agree. However, these gimmicky retro digital cameras ARE capable of great images and in the case of the PEN, do very well against the original (except for no VF!).

Old 01-18-2012   #88
MaxElmar

A new m43 camera with an excellent built-in EVF and a new sensor (probably the existing 16mp Panasonic) -- I could see myself giving one a try. My first foray into m43 was an E-PL2 - which was a fine little camera. But I kept grabbing my 12mp Nikons because the sensor was better and the controls seemed so much better. (The gosh darn E-PL2 had a mind of its own!) Then the D7000 came out with that 16mp Nikon-tweaked Sony sensor and the game was over. For now.

Waiting for a really good EVF mirrorless camera with an open mind....

Nex-7 with my CV & Leica lenses may win yet....

Rest assured, my favorite camera remains my Leica IIIc...

Still Photographically Uncool

Old 01-18-2012   #89
rbelyell

Quote:

... And we're talking about cameras here not History of The Peloponnesian War, so lets keep heritage and history where they belong...
What a silly thing to say. this is a camera forum, and there is history and heritage here and in this equipment. thankfully those concepts are not limited to your personal definition.

Old 01-18-2012   #90
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:

This retro madness is hilarious in a sad sort of way...
Most people chiming in this thread love OM cameras, some love *anything* OM-like, in spirit or otherwise.

If you find this hilarious, keep on laughing at us.
If you find this sad, find something else that makes you happy.

Nobody is forcing you to get it.

Old 01-18-2012   #91
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Earl,

These newfangled digital sensors cast a new light on ISO rating. It's trickier than film to predict thanks to the software layer where they can do anything to the raw sensor data as long as the processor's computing power still allows for responsive operation (of the camera).

I've seen a shot from my E-P2 that looks like HDR, straight out of the camera. I almost didn't believe it when I first saw it.
Will,

Granted, but I was thinking more about maximum aperture.

I should have stated that.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55 and adapted Zuikos
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-18-2012   #92
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
The only cause celebre of OM bodies were their gigantic VFs, something
I totally disagree with that.

Old 01-18-2012   #93
douglasf13

So it's basically a retro looking GH2.

Old 01-18-2012   #94
Harry Caul

Quote:
But these gimmicky digital retros are NOT the successors of those cameras... If this was a FF OM that supported mechanical MF and had a VF the size of the original OM then maybe, but not a M43 in the clothing of an OM...
Actually, of all the companies out there building mirrorless cameras*, Olympus should be praised as they are only ones to put out a lens (12/2) that very accurately mimics a true MF operation using focus-by-wire -- distance scale and all!

I'm not sure if cameras using contrast-detect focus have to use focus-by-wire lenses, but they all seem to. We'll see what Fuji does, but I'm assuming they'll also use focus-by-wire.

*Obviously digi Leicas are mirrorless, but they don't AF so not a fair comparison.

Old 01-18-2012   #95
Spyro

Does anyone else think that using a form factor without a functional reason is lame or is it just me?

To explain: the omd will be an EVF camera, therefore it will have no pentaprism, therefore no reason for that pyramid on the top. However they will still put a pyramid on, because...? Maybe it will click open and double up as an ashtray?

Same for the mirrorbox. EVF camera = no mirror, therefore no mirrorbox. We already got the ashtray covered with the pentaprism, so maybe the mirrorbox can be a cigar cutter?

Old 01-18-2012   #96
DanOnRoute66
I now live in Des Moines

Well, as the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig but that don't make it a date. I'm pretty fed up with Olympus. Their DSLRs have been lame from start to finish, plagued by poor focusing and cheesy build. They gave us a digital "Pen" that disgraced the Pen SLR system. There's no reason to believe that a digital OM will be as innovative as the OM 35mm film system was in its day.

Old 01-18-2012   #97
uinku

Olympus has realized it can't compete directly with Canon/Nikon and realized they need to carve out a niche. Pentax's K-7/5 produced better and smaller DSLRs, so Oly's retreated to m4/3.

The PEN is great territory if Oly doesn't mess it up, but it seems like they're already losing ground. If the digital OM system does have weather-sealing and is fast, or has a full-manual option and pancake lenses, I might consider it.

Old 01-19-2012   #98
kanzlr
Hexaneur

I have to admit that, while the sensors are small, the very fast primes really make up for that to an extend.

25/1.4 for a great price?
12/2?

awesome, actually.

Old 01-19-2012   #99
robert blu
quiet photographer

I think a "not full frame" sensor can be ok for my style of shooting and specially for my first requirement (desire?) of a small camera if appropriate fast lenses, wide included will be available.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-19-2012   #100
Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
I have to admit that, while the sensors are small, the very fast primes really make up for that to an extend.

12/2?

awesome, actually.
If you think that's awesome you should've seen the real OM system

OM SYSTEM LENS LINE UP
8 mm F2.8 Fisheye
16 mm F3.5 Fisheye
18 mm F3.5
21 mm F2
21 mm F3.5
24 mm F2
24 mm F2.8
24 mm F3.5 Shift
28 mm F2
28 mm F2.8
28 mm F3.5
35 mm F2
35 mm F2.8
35 mm F2.8 Shift
40 mm F2
50 mm F1.2
50 mm F1.4
50 mm F1.8
50 mm F2Macro
50 mm F3.5Macro
55 mm F1.2
85 mm F2
90 mm F2Macro
100 mm F2
100 mm F2.8
135 mm F2.8
135 mm F3.5
180 mm F2
180 mm F2.8
200 mm F4
200 mm F5
250 mm F2
300 mm F4.5
350 mm F2.8
400 mm F6.3
500 mm F8Reflex
600 mm F6.5
1000 mm F11
2848 mm F4
3570 mm F3.54.5
3570 mm F3.54.8
3570 mm F3.6
3570 mm F4
3570 mm F4 Auto Focus
3580 mm F2.8
35105 mm F3.54.5
50250 mm F5
65200 mm F4
70210 mm F4.55.6
75150 mm F4
85250 mm F5
100200 mm F5
20 mm F2
20 mm F3.5
38 mm F2.8
38 mm F3.5
80 mm F4 (Manual)
80 mm F4 (Auto)
135 mm F4.5
24 mm F2.8AF
28 mm F2.8AF
50 mm F1.8AF
mm F3.54.5AF
3570 mm F3.54.5PF
35105 mm F3.54.5AF
70210 mm F3.54.5AF

Old 01-19-2012   #101
kanzlr
Hexaneur

Spyro...I know there is a lot of amazing stuff out there for the original OM, but those two, coupled with the 45/1.8 could cover all my needs...If I weren't such a damn manual focus nerd...

Old 01-19-2012   #102
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
If you think that's awesome you should've seen the real OM system
And they did that all at introduction?

Old 01-19-2012   #103
NazgulKing

Olympus has pretty much ceded development of most of the the M4/3 system to Panasonic. Most of the premium lenses are made and designed by Panasonic.

Old 01-19-2012   #104
Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
And they did that all at introduction?
smart

no they didnt, but they didnt make any claims of replacing/continuing/digitising/refreshing anything either.

Old 01-19-2012   #105
kanzlr
Hexaneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
Olympus has pretty much ceded development of most of the the M4/3 system to Panasonic. Most of the premium lenses are made and designed by Panasonic.
you mean like the 12/2 and 45/1.8?

Old 01-19-2012   #106
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
Does anyone else think that using a form factor without a functional reason is lame or is it just me?

To explain: the omd will be an EVF camera, therefore it will have no pentaprism, therefore no reason for that pyramid on the top. However they will still put a pyramid on, because...? Maybe it will click open and double up as an ashtray?

Same for the mirrorbox. EVF camera = no mirror, therefore no mirrorbox. We already got the ashtray covered with the pentaprism, so maybe the mirrorbox can be a cigar cutter?
I suspect the prism housing will house the EVF.
There's no room for it currently in the Digital Pen lineup, hence the external detachable EVF.

The OM-1/2/3/4 body is thinner than any DSLR because all that it houses is the mirror-box. Now, with the m4/3rd system which is mirrorless, Olympus can once again offer a *digital* camera that is as thin as the original OM cameras.

My wish kept coming back to a control dial around the lens mount. C'mon Olympus, even Canon sees that as a cool design (in S95 for example).

Old 01-19-2012   #107
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Yes, even if there is a frikkin' ( ) LCD (which no real photographer needs), shutter speed around the lens mount would be special. Especially if there's aperture control on the front of the lens barrel and (sorta) mechanical ASA (ISO) setting on the top plate ...

Old 01-20-2012   #108
dfatty

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-ol...-leaked-image/

built-in thumbs up - i can feel the GAS building... lol

Old 01-20-2012   #109
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfatty View Post
http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-ol...-leaked-image/

built-in thumbs up - i can feel the GAS building... lol
Total fail - the shutter release won't take a standard screw-in release cable.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 01-20-2012   #110
DougFord
look at the birdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post

12/2?

awesome, actually.
agreed. A multi-aspect ratio sensor wouldn't hurt the cause either imo.

the walk

Old 01-20-2012   #111
axiom
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Total fail - the shutter release won't take a standard screw-in release cable.

+1 (ten characters)

Old 01-20-2012   #112
f6andBthere
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiom View Post
+1 (ten characters)

Dedicated remote releases aren't exactly expensive for modern digital cameras! Provided the camera has that capability of course!

Old 01-20-2012   #113
axiom
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6andBthere View Post
Dedicated remote releases aren't exactly expensive for modern digital cameras! Provided the camera has that capability of course!
it may be subjective
but *EVERY* modern dedicated remote release today is an ugly blob APS plastic with a funky ?stylish? (so they think) button.

I'd rather carry a goodol cable than that blob of plastic with me

Old 01-20-2012   #114
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiom View Post
it may be subjective
but *EVERY* modern dedicated remote release today is an ugly blob APS plastic with a funky ?stylish? (so they think) button.
I use a wireless eBay release. A small shoe mount square with short cable for the camera, and a remote about the size of a pack of gum (for those who remember the old Wrigley's packs). Stylish? Maybe not, but remote and receiver fit in a shirt pocket with room to spare.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 01-20-2012   #115
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

It doesn't have the rumored automatic foot massager next to the shutter release...total fail!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 01-21-2012   #116
gavinlg

Olympus do know how to make pretty sexy looking gear....

Old 01-21-2012   #117
Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6andBthere View Post
you failed to read between the lines IMO...
no shutter button thread = no cool looking soft releases

Old 01-21-2012   #118
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post

Olympus do know how to make pretty sexy looking gear....
No manual advance lever! I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if a thousand gearheads suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Old 01-22-2012   #119
nighstar
eternal beginner

i wish someone at Olympus would go ahead and leak a full image of the camera already. all this teasing sucks...

February 8th seems so far away....

Old 01-22-2012   #120
gavinlg

I agree nighstar, I'm really curious as to what this little machine will look like...