Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Micro 4/3 Cameras

Micro 4/3 Cameras This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 01-15-2012   #51
f6andBthere
-

If BMW had released the new Mini with a carburetted engine, points ignition, drum rear brakes and a four speed gearbox do you think it would have turned into the success story that it is?

Old 01-15-2012   #52
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
A digital OM is when I can unclip my film back from my OM-1 and clip on a digital back with the power supply and electronics fitting on the bottom about the same size and weight as a motor winder.

That is a 'digital OM' and will be available about the same time I flap my arms and fly to the moon!
That is something I thought of too. Dang it; start flapping those arms.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 01-15-2012   #53
TXForester

For those who want a full frame digital OM, I doubt it will happen. I have an E-510 and spent a lot of time on some Olympus sites and the OLY DSLR forum at dpreview. If Olympus pays any attention to its customers, then it knows the ones that have come on board with the advent DSLRs are anal (sorry, no better word for it) when it comes to weight. They complains about mere grams. They will gripe and move on to Panasonic.

A full frame body means larger lenses, and these people want have any of it. Add an ounce of weight to their kit and they scream you are breaking their backs. I just picked up my OM2 with Vivitar 70-210mm f3.5. I had my E-510 with the 40-150mm in my hands a few hours ago. Yeah there is a weight difference, but it's no big deal. I am not in as good a shape as I should be, but would gladly carry the OM2/70-210 all day (and I've done it lots of times).

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 01-15-2012   #54
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Kosta: Exactly. A digital OM would have controls for on/off, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, EV compensation, and (maybe) highlight/shadow reading. That's it. And no screen. Real photographers don't need no frikkin' screen.
Dangit, I like the way you think.

Olympus OM-1D?
Old 01-16-2012   #55
Igor.Burshteyn

Olympus OM-1D?

Intrigued. I was in the market for compact digital camera with interchangeable lenses that could adopt my OM lens collection, and didn't find the one that would satisfy me.
I was looking for at least NEX level of IQ/high ISO performance and old OM-style ergonomics.
Interesting if they are going to keep shutter speed ring around lens mount and advance lever :>

Old 01-16-2012   #56
nighstar
eternal beginner

seems the new camera will have a 16mp m4/3 sensor.

Old 01-16-2012   #57
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

If instead of all that you guys are happy with anything, no matter how oddball, as long as it looks like an OM and has analog controls, then what can I say... I must have missed something very important that happened to the collective photography subconscious over the last decade or so.
I'm not *happy* with anything less than a digital *full-frame* OM-D.
I'm not *happy* with EVF unless if it provides me with a view that is as big as that on my OM-1.
I'm not *happy* with buttons and menus, I want manual shutter ring on the lens mount, and a mode dial or two for ISO and White balance.

But I will probably buy a digital OM camera just like I bought a digital Pen.
Why? because those are made to honor Mr. Maitani, by people who wants to keep his excellent vision alive for us, customers.

And just as importantly, those are darn good cameras capable of producing darn good pictures.

People who dismisses m4/3rd as a quality system most likely are chasing rainbows, and I bid them much success in their endeavors. I know what "good enough" means for me personally.

Old 01-16-2012   #58
Liquid-Sky
Unregistered consumer

didn't Ricoh made a succes going to their GR-1 line to GR-D, so why not Olympus?

Old 01-16-2012   #59
k__43
Registered Film User

I'd rather like them to make a 35 eqv. with f/2 that doesn't suck in sharpness .. does not need to be a pan cake really

Old 01-16-2012   #60
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid-Sky View Post
didn't Ricoh made a succes going to their GR-1 line to GR-D, so why not Olympus?
Because the GR line does not inherit lens legacy from the past as the OM system does.

Expect something no more than an E-Pen with an EVF.

Old 01-16-2012   #61
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighstar View Post
seems the new camera will have a 16mp m4/3 sensor.
Good that they saved me the effort stocking up OM lenses..

Old 01-16-2012   #62
Liquid-Sky
Unregistered consumer

well for the GR i meant cosmetically & fonctionally speaking...

i can deal with everything on the OM-D, but not a EVF please!

Old 01-16-2012   #63
kanzlr
Hexaneur

I have to admit that, if the GXR wouldn't have been to my liking, I would use an E-P3 now...they have a few nice small fast primes for that system, and why not use a 12mm lens as a 24mm equiv...its f2 and focuses superbly close. Or that nice Panaleica 25/1.4...not that bad for how tiny the package is.

Old 01-16-2012   #64
gburger

I am not supposed to talk about this till next month. Sorry about my previous post. The rumors on 43rumors are on the right track.
The E system is dead at Olympus. Looks like they are giving that sector of their cameras up.
800-677-1023

Old 01-16-2012   #65
celluloidprop

Could easily see going with this plus the 12/2 and either 20/1.7 or 25/1.4 over the Fuji X-system if the sensor moves into D7000-range.

Old 01-16-2012   #66
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburger View Post
I saw the new camera last week at CES. It is a Pen style camera. It has an OM look to it, hence the name.
Weird, nobody else saw this?

Old 01-16-2012   #67
nighstar
eternal beginner

weird indeed. i heard that Olympus only brought P&S to the show and nothing that was really new.

Old 01-16-2012   #68
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
My uncle, whos brothers friend is delivering pizza to Olympus Creative Team HQ told me last week that Olympus have mock-ups of FF OM-D1 with new line of Zuikos
If this were true, I'd hope the mount is the same as an OM so the old lenses could be used without an adapter.

Old 01-17-2012   #69
gburger

It will take the 4/3 lenses that are out now. But an adapter will allow them to work.
800-677-1023

Old 01-17-2012   #70
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburger View Post
I am not supposed to talk about this till next month. Sorry about my previous post. The rumors on 43rumors are on the right track.
The E system is dead at Olympus. Looks like they are giving that sector of their cameras up.
I don't know about everyone else, but I am not expecting anything more than another m4/3rd camera the size (and shape) similar to OM-1/2/3/4.

I'm hopeful that Olympus had enough sense to give us manual dials instead of more buttons and deeper menus, but one can only hope.

Old 01-17-2012   #71
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
A digital OM is when I can unclip my film back from my OM-1 and clip on a digital back with the power supply and electronics fitting on the bottom about the same size and weight as a motor winder.

That is a 'digital OM' and will be available about the same time I flap my arms and fly to the moon!
But that for OMs or other cameras would be neat for sure. I would love to have such an accessory for my Fujica or Contax 167mt. Dream on.

Old 01-17-2012   #72
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I am not expecting anything more than another m4/3rd camera the size (and shape) similar to OM-1/2/3/4.

I'm hopeful that Olympus had enough sense to give us manual dials instead of more buttons and deeper menus, but one can only hope.
For many of us vintage camera users, this is our photo gear fantasy. Especially a similar set up for our Leica M's.

Old 01-18-2012   #73
nighstar
eternal beginner

thoughts on the latest specs, anyone....?
http://www.43rumors.com/

the specs have me a lot more excited now and i can't wait to see real photos of the new camera. i am, however, still interested in the X-Pro 1. at least until i see real photos and reviews from/on both cameras.

Old 01-18-2012   #74
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Minimum sensitivity of ISO 200 is too high for my taste.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-18-2012   #75
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Minimum sensitivity of ISO 200 is too high for my taste.
Why is that a problem? The only problem might be open-aperture shots outdoors. Sunny 16 means that you'll need a fast enough shutter (1/8000 for f/1.4 outdoors) or use an ND filter, which coincidentally some newer cameras have built-in.

With today's sensor technology, you don't get all that much from low ISOs. The 5D MkII, for example, has a ISO 50 "L" mode, but this is just for people with old studio flashes; the imaging results at ISO 50 are actually worse than at the sensor's native ISO 100.