Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Epson R-D1 Digital RF

Digital Epson R-D1 Digital RF A dedicated forum to the first Digital rangefinder camera.

RD-1s going price?
Old 01-14-2012   #1
ChrisP
Grain Lover

RD-1s going price?

What are RD-1s's going for these days? What price would move it fast in the classifieds, body only? I have a chance to pick one up for $600 bucks. Don't have any m-mount glass but if I could flip that for some profit I might be able to give without $600 for a few weeks.

Old 01-14-2012   #2
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

quick sale is 1000/1100 bucks...average sale is 1200...frequent asking price is 1400/1600...but i don't think they sell for that often.

x-e1/23/56/16-50

http://crated.com/backalleyimages

Old 01-15-2012   #3
ninjin

From what I have seen since around Christmas last year on ebay and RFF. Asking prices for an R-D1 or R-D1s is usually around 1'500 USD. I have seen two R-D1x;s, ranging from 1'500 to 2'000.

Just as back alley pointed out, the R-D1 or R-D1;s don't appear to sell easily unless they get a few hundred cheaper. Even if they are claimed to be close to flawless. Personally, I have been surprised at the amount of R-D1 and R-D1;s that are out there.

I am still lurking with a small budget trying to pick one up. I could not manage to get Roberts R-D1s that was up for sale yesterday, but I suppose including an Elmar 50mm 3.5f didn't help in keeping the price down. Do give me a poke if you decide to go for it, I'll be very interested if the quality is all right.

Old 01-15-2012   #4
Landberg

I got mine for 1200 on eBay, but the camera had its scratches and marks. But damn it takes great pictures!

Old 01-15-2012   #5
rbelyell

i realize the draw of the rd-x, i really do. but given that for $1000 you can get a brand new 16mp ricoh designed specifically for M lenses, with benefit of years of advanced technology, i cant for the life of me understand why anyone would even consider paying such an absurd amount of money for a quirky, finnicky 6mp cam that cant easily be serviced. i cant see paying more than $500 given the price of the much much superior alternative.

Old 01-15-2012   #6
ninjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
i realize the draw of the rd-x, i really do. but given that for $1000 you can get a brand new 16mp rollei designed specifically for M lenses, with benefit of years of advanced technology, i cant for the life of me understand why anyone would even consider paying such an absurd amount of money for a quirky, finnicky 6mp cam that cant easily be serviced. i cant see paying more than $500 given the price of the much much superior alternative.
Sorry to de-rail the discussion, but as an aspiring rangefinder user I am curious about what digital Rollei you are talking about. I did some searching, since the only digital M-mount cameras I know of are from Epson and Leica I was curious, but I can't seem to find any details. What camera are you referring to?

Old 01-15-2012   #7
astro8

I think he/she meant Ricoh...

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-15-2012   #8
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
Sorry to de-rail the discussion, but as an aspiring rangefinder user I am curious about what digital Rollei you are talking about. I did some searching, since the only digital M-mount cameras I know of are from Epson and Leica I was curious, but I can't seem to find any details. What camera are you referring to?
sorry, mistype, i meant ricoh gxr with M module. corrected. i'm a 'he'.

Old 01-15-2012   #9
ninjin

Quote:
sorry, mistype, i meant ricoh gxr with M module. corrected. i'm a 'he'.
No worries, I haven't had my hands on a Ricoh for long but I can't say I felt a connection when I did (I'll give it a new chance when I drop by the camera store again). Fujifilm is cooking up the X-Pro1 (incidentally it is 16MP as well) and doesn't look too shabby. Those are the options I know of for now, apart from the obvious, film.

Personally, one of the reasons I am even considering the R-D1;s is that they feel solid and have some weird way of hooking me when I hold it (crank and all), well, at least the R-D1x did, I wasn't even into photography when the original R-D1 was introduced.

Old 01-15-2012   #10
Peter Wijninga

In 2009, I bought one r-d1 and one r-d1s in Japan. Both second-hand, as new, boxed, documented, upgraded firmware etc... for about USD 1800 each. After extensive use and travel, I'll send them this month to Epson Japan -through www.japancamerahunter.com for cleaning and adjustment. Perhaps I paid a 'top' price but after many bumpy plane, train and bus rides, mine never ever malfunctioned. The Epson is a great camera and worth every dollar. I'd advise every user to get the Mr. Zhou half-case which is affordable and offers good protection for the camera body.

Old 01-15-2012   #11
Landberg

But if you buy a ricoh you miss the rf..

Old 01-16-2012   #12
Lss

Quote:
i cant for the life of me understand why anyone would even consider paying such an absurd amount of money for a quirky, finnicky 6mp cam that cant easily be serviced. i cant see paying more than $500 given the price of the much much superior alternative.
Either you want a rangefinder or you don't. For the latter group the R-D1 is perhaps not that interesting.

Old 01-16-2012   #13
ninjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Wow, Yodobashi still lists it for close to 300,000 JPY and Kakaku is yet to pick up. Not convinced yet, but I am getting there.

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000023482/?...kakuitem_title

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000023482/pricehistory/

Are they afraid of the new Fujifilm X1Pro stealing market shares? Is Epson cooking something up? These appear to be exciting times.

Old 01-16-2012   #14
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
Either you want a rangefinder or you don't. For the latter group the R-D1 is perhaps not that interesting.
not sure if its that simple. i want a lot of things in and out of the photography realm, but not necessarily at the prices that are being charged for them. at $1500 usd youre real close to a used m8, thats a RF, no? i thought i recently saw one for sale now on this forum for $1800, so i still dont get how the epson goes for $1500.

Old 01-16-2012   #15
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

Quote:
not sure if its that simple. i want a lot of things in and out of the photography realm, but not necessarily at the prices that are being charged for them. at $1500 usd youre real close to a used m8, thats a RF, no? i thought i recently saw one for sale now on this forum for $1800, so i still dont get how the epson goes for $1500.
maybe because some of us think it's worth it?

as nice as my new to me d90 is...i still prefer the images that come out of my rd1...
once you find a machine that does what you want there is no turning back...

x-e1/23/56/16-50

Old 01-16-2012   #16
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
maybe because some of us think it's worth it?

as nice as my new to me d90 is...i still prefer the images that come out of my rd1...
once you find a machine that does what you want there is no turning back...
thats very true, and there is a bond that sometimes developes between person and machine, and that is very real and has great worth. i think what we're talking about here though is slightly different in that the poster doesnt have that bond, doesnt have that camera, and wants to understand its value. so it would then be natural to think about it in a more objective way, both comparatively against its comptition and in an isolated way in terms of what he will actually be getting in relation to present day stae of the art as well as practical servicing options.

with having that bond with the camera, replacing it at great cost may well be worth it. butwithout that bond, just looking at it as a machine vs other machines, it seems like it is way overpriced.

Old 01-16-2012   #17
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

i think my passion for the rd1 has convinced people to give it a try...logic is not for everyone.

x-e1/23/56/16-50

Old 01-16-2012   #18
rbelyell

i would absolutely give it a try at $500, or if i had the luxury of resources to sususpend logic. ):

but if i had $1500 to spend on a digi RF, i'd save another couple hundred for an m8, which has greater resolution, benefit of a number of years of tech advance, and is easily serviceable. hey, i'm not saying this isnt a good, unique etc camera. i'm sayng that x number of years down the road, and given comparitively priced similar items that are relatively new, its simply overpriced.

Old 01-16-2012   #19
ornate_wrasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i think my passion for the rd1 has convinced people to give it a try...logic is not for everyone.
The good things I read about the rd1 definitely had a lot to do with my decision to buy it when I saw it at my local shop for $1200.

I just went out on Saturday for a shoot at a nearby ghost town and was very pleased with the images I got.

I love how it handles and I love the small size especially compared to my D300, which is much more difficult for me to carry around all day.

Ellen

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Rangefinders
Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, CV 28mm 1.9 Ultron, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Epson R-D1

SLRs
Nikon FM2N, Nikon D300, Nikon D700

Old 01-16-2012   #20
roundg

RD-1 is a very unique camera of its design. and you won't see any replacement in the future.
You must be aware the truth that RD-1, and M8/9 are the only real dgital RF so far.

If you love the RF, RD-1 is still a good selection.

Old 01-16-2012   #21
Lss

Quote:
not sure if its that simple. i want a lot of things in and out of the photography realm, but not necessarily at the prices that are being charged for them.
Sure, sometimes the price is too high for whatever reason. A poor substitute for what you want/need is nevertheless nothing more than what it is. (Poor in the sense that it lacks the features the user really wants/needs.)

Quote:
at $1500 usd youre real close to a used m8, thats a RF, no?
Well, my response was really on Ricoh M-mount vs. Epson. At least in my part of the world the availability of M8's is fairly good while the Epsons are rare. Even then, there is a pretty healthy price difference between these cameras that I see locally. Of course, the Epson becomes less interesting for many rangefinder users when it gets closer to the price of the Leica.

Old 01-16-2012   #22
huntjump

Owned the M8 and R-D1, sold the m8 because I didn't like the feel of it (plus ISO wasnt that great) and was $2000. I connected more with the R-D1, liked the color from it more and iso 1600 was perfect for my B&W needs. Plus i liked the shutter crank, the dials, the viewfinder and it paired well with my m6. I paid closer to $900, but its such a solid camera, i think up to $1200 is fine. Mine is pushing 10,000 actuations

-Adam

Old 01-17-2012   #23
rbelyell

HJ, did you find a noticeable resolution difference between m8 and epson at normal iso?

Old 01-17-2012   #24
SteveM(PA)
Poser

Quote:
Seiko analogue gauges behind mineral glass, flip screen, 1:1 viewfinder, manual shutter advance. Those are what I love about it and I can't get them anywhere else.
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K, Leica IIIf rdst, Nikon S, Sony RX100, OM1, Rebel T3 (with OM glass)
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 01-17-2012   #25
RFH
rfhansen.wordpress.com

If you can get it for $600, there should be no discussion in my opinion: Just buy it. You can easily sell it for more than that in case you don't want to keep it. I was happy to get my RD1 for $1000, and every time I see someone carrying a heavy, bulky DSLR with a cannon of a zoom lens, I'm even happier. Happier still when I see the image quality.