Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Micro 4/3 Cameras

Micro 4/3 Cameras This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

EP-2 nearly broke?
Old 01-07-2012   #1
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,474
EP-2 nearly broke?

Today, and suddenly, no picture would show in the VF after taking a photo. I removed the abttery, I removed the card, I checked the card, I tried all settings on the camera, I used MENU .... nothing worked.

Then I removed the battery, and I chose RESET on MENU. Then I chose RESET 1 on MENU ..... and then it worked again!

I was about to write here to ask whether it was worth repairing or not and if so, where would I get such a repair for it.

No clue what happened.
Could it have been an impact on the camera?
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #2
ColSebastianMoran
Registered User
 
ColSebastianMoran's Avatar
 
ColSebastianMoran is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,046
Sorry to hear. Hope it keeps working for you.
__________________
Col. Sebastian Moran, ret. (not really)

SLR, dSLR, and compact RF's. Black Yashica RFs; Nikon & Contax/Yashica SLRs; Nikon digital.
Where did all these cameras come from?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #3
Contarama
Registered User
 
Contarama is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 616
I too am sorry to hear this Raid luckily you got it working again...with that said welcome to the wonderful world of digital! Makes one want to take the Contax out for a stroll...
__________________
www.nikonzen.com

Art is the ability to make something...even if it is a big mess...
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #4
t.s.k.
Hooked on philm
 
t.s.k.'s Avatar
 
t.s.k. is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: [sh-ĭ-käg-ō]
Posts: 663
This happens to me when I switch from adapter to an AF lens or vice versa.
Turning off the camera and remounting the lens have always worked.
Sometimes I have to remount a couple times.

Glad you got it working.
__________________
- tony -

You can observe a lot by just watching.
-- Yogi Berra
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #5
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.s.k. View Post
This happens to me when I switch from adapter to an AF lens or vice versa.
Turning off the camera and remounting the lens have always worked.
Sometimes I have to remount a couple times.

Glad you got it working.
I tried the same, Tony. I had a Canon FD lens with adapter first, so I switched to an Olympus AF lens for the EP-2. I am learning.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007
  Reply With Quote

Minox
Old 01-07-2012   #6
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,474
Minox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
I too am sorry to hear this Raid luckily you got it working again...with that said welcome to the wonderful world of digital! Makes one want to take the Contax out for a stroll...
I have a Minox GT as back-up since problems can occur.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #7
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: searching for the perfect bag!
Posts: 37,565
it's electronic...these things seem to happen, if not often then regularly...it gets a hiccup and needs to be reset.
__________________
heart soul & a camera

x-e1/23/56/16-50


http://crated.com/backalleyimages
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #8
FrankS
Registered User
 
FrankS is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada, eh.
Age: 57
Posts: 17,470
This is the kind of thing that causes the bias that I have for mechanical cameras over electronic ones. Not to say that mechanical cameras don't fail, but it is often easier to understand what causes the mechanical failure, and what the fix is. I understand that this a personal bias in me with little basis in objective reality. But then aren't all of our realities subjective?
__________________
my little website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #9
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: searching for the perfect bag!
Posts: 37,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
This is the kind of thing that causes the bias that I have for mechanical cameras over electronic ones. Not to say that mechanical cameras don't fail, but it is often easier to understand what causes the mechanical failure, and what the fix is. I understand that this a personal bias in me with little basis in objective reality. But then aren't all of our realities subjective?
the other side of that coin though is that the electronic camera is usually more accurate than a mechanical camera...you win some you lose some.
__________________
heart soul & a camera

x-e1/23/56/16-50


http://crated.com/backalleyimages
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #10
Eric T
Registered User
 
Eric T is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 614
Did Microsoft make the software for the EP-2?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #11
krötenblender
Registered User
 
krötenblender's Avatar
 
krötenblender is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 469
Don't know what wrong with you camera, but as a professional programmer, I can say, that software tends to add metaphysical behavior to an otherwise pure physical machine...

If you still have warranty for your cam, continue using it, and log the exact steps, when it happens. Try to make it reproducible. If you got that, send it to Olympus and ask for removing the metaphysics... In my experience (here in Germany) Olympus-service is very good and quick. (not the Leica type of service with 7 weeks waiting for nearly nothing...)
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #12
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,474
I removed the lens and I can see that the curtain is down. The sensor is hidden.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #13
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: searching for the perfect bag!
Posts: 37,565
howse the battery?
__________________
heart soul & a camera

x-e1/23/56/16-50


http://crated.com/backalleyimages
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #14
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,474
Battery is fully charged. I have removed it now.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #15
ssmc
Registered User
 
ssmc is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I removed the lens and I can see that the curtain is down. The sensor is hidden.
That is definitely not normal. The sensor is supposed to be exposed whenever the lens is removed. It only closes to make an exposure (open for LV - close/open for shot/close - open for LV)

Do I understand that you were using an FD lens on an adapter when this failure occurred? Or was it with an Olympus lens?

Check the lens mount and see if the contacts look clean or if there's any debris floating around in there (possibly from the adapter) that could short the contacts.

Hope you get it sorted out!

Scott
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #16
nighstar
eternal beginner
 
nighstar's Avatar
 
nighstar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 29
Posts: 490
wish i could help but this has never happened to me as i don't use a VF (or legacy lenses yet) on my E-P2. i have, however, had the camera freeze on me before.... when this happens the aperture reading on the LCD (in A priority) or the shutter speed reading (in S priority) completely blacks out and i am left being able to do anything including fire the shutter. sometimes i can turn off the camera with the power button but other times i'm forced to take out the battery to turn it off.... *shrugs* it has only happened a handful of times, so i don't really worry about it. it probably isn't even related to your problem, but hopefully your problem isn't serious.

edit: on a side note, i have never had to reset my camera.
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #17
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmc View Post
That is definitely not normal. The sensor is supposed to be exposed whenever the lens is removed. It only closes to make an exposure (open for LV - close/open for shot/close - open for LV)

Do I understand that you were using an FD lens on an adapter when this failure occurred? Or was it with an Olympus lens?

Check the lens mount and see if the contacts look clean or if there's any debris floating around in there (possibly from the adapter) that could short the contacts.

Hope you get it sorted out!

Scott
Hi Scott,
The problem occurred first with one FD lens, followed several hours later with another FD lens. Sounds suspiciously like the adapter played a role here. Thanks for the tip to check the contacts.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #18
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer
 
Nikon Bob's Avatar
 
Nikon Bob is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,639
Just out of curiosity, was the power off on the camera while changing lenses? It can supposedly happen sometimes that with the power on removing and/or replacing a lens may cause the mount to short the contacts. I have only heard that this may be so take that with a grain of salt. Personally with electronics I like to turn the power off when changing lenses or flash units just in case.

Bob
__________________
<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=557'>My Gallery</a>
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012   #19
ssmc
Registered User
 
ssmc is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 531
One other thing - check which firmware version your camera has. There have been 2 updates (1.1 and 1.2) and sometimes "undocumented features" get fixed along with the stuff they actually tell you about.

Also I agree with Nikon Bob about turning the camera off when removing/attaching lenses and accessories (especially flashes). I've personally never had anything bad happen when I've forgotten and left a camera on but it's a good practice to get into.

Scott
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012   #20
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon Bob View Post
Just out of curiosity, was the power off on the camera while changing lenses? It can supposedly happen sometimes that with the power on removing and/or replacing a lens may cause the mount to short the contacts. I have only heard that this may be so take that with a grain of salt. Personally with electronics I like to turn the power off when changing lenses or flash units just in case.

Bob
Hi Bob,
It happened while taking photos, so I got images, and then with the same lens, the camera died. Still, it may have happened after changing the lens, and in that case, I do not recall if I made the mistake to keep the power on.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 22:39.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.