Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Bad day for my Jupiter 12
Old 01-07-2012   #1
Muller

Bad day for my Jupiter 12

While out and about today, I dropped my FED 2. It landed lens first onto a brick sidewalk (why couldn't it happen in a pillow factory?). My lens of choice at the time was the Jupiter 12.

I'd say the filter bore the brunt of the impact, except now the aperture refuses to budge, and the focus ring takes much effort to turn. In fact, trying to remove the filter or move the aperture ring resulted in unscrewing the element assemblies.

I finished off the roll with a Jupiter 8, but even giving the FED's body a look over, not finding any other damage aside from a small scratch on the base plate. The mechanism sounds the same, as is the RF. Is it possible that the impact may have damaged the body, as in pushing in the area where the lens is mounted?

Old 01-07-2012   #2
johannielscom
Off to Nikon dSLR, MF

Possibly. Only test shots with a known well-performing lens can reveal the truth.

I'm sorry about your Jupiter-12, that can be a fine lens!

www.johanniels.com

See ya.