Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: What is BEST?
The Leica M9 is better than the Holga! 45 34.62%
The Holga is better than the Leica M9! 55 42.31%
It is best to brag to my Holga friends about my Leica M9! 10 7.69%
It is best to brag to my Leica M9 friends about my Holga! 31 23.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2011   #81
gdi

M9 for Color and Holga (or a Quaker Oatmeal box) for B&W.

Old 12-31-2011   #82
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Exactly. It comes back to "Those who quite like this sort of thing will find that this is the sort of thing they quite like."

I have nothing whatsoever against those who like Holgas, until they start trying to persuade me that they are right, and I am wrong. I'm not. Nor are they, necessarily, until they start getting evangelical about it.

Cheers,

R.
What annoys me is when people champion the Holga with the statement that image quality is overrated or equipment is overrated. IMO there's hardly any other camera that stresses image quality and equipment over all other aspects like the Holga does. You're not using a Holga because you don't care about image quality, you're using a Holga because you want your images to have exactly that quality (or lack thereof) that only the Holga gives you. The pictures say 'I was taken with that specific kind of camera'. Whenever I see a series of some professional photgrapher using a Holga I think to myself 'oh, the guy uses a Holga in a war zone' or 'oh, the guy uses a Holga in the White House' or 'oh, he uses a Holga at a fashion show', etc. etc. How exactly is this not putting equipment first?

Old 12-31-2011   #83
dogbunny
Registered Boozer

Oddly, there are filters and plugins etc to make an M9 file look like a Holga file, but none that I've seen to make my Holga scanned file look like an M9 file. Apparently, there is a desire/market to make something expensive look cheap, but not the other way around.

Humans, wow!

Old 12-31-2011   #84
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbunny View Post
Oddly, there are filters and plugins etc to make an M9 file look like a Holga file, but none that I've seen to make my Holga scanned file look like an M9 file. Apparently, there is a desire/market to make something expensive look cheap, but not the other way around.

Humans, wow!
That's some flawless reasoning you got there...

Old 12-31-2011   #85
dogbunny
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
That's some flawless reasoning you got there...
Oh, my mistake, no one pointed out that this thread was supposed to be reasonable

parameters, must have parameters.

Old 12-31-2011   #86
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbunny View Post
Oh, my mistake, no one pointed out that this thread was supposed to be reasonable
Sorry, I thought you were being serious. I might aswell make the argument that, oddly, there are loads of watches and clocks available to tell you the time, but no time machines. Apparently there is a market for knowing what time it is but not for traveling in time. Humans, wow!

Old 12-31-2011   #87
Ronny

Holga - Leica M9 = 1-0
Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2011   #88
eia41

Here goes another daft poll to finish this -globally- horrible year...

Old 12-31-2011   #89
Roger Hicks

Quote:
What annoys me is when people champion the Holga with the statement that image quality is overrated or equipment is overrated. IMO there's hardly any other camera that stresses image quality and equipment over all other aspects like the Holga does. You're not using a Holga because you don't care about image quality, you're using a Holga because you want your images to have exactly that quality (or lack thereof) that only the Holga gives you. The pictures say 'I was taken with that specific kind of camera'. Whenever I see a series of some professional photgrapher using a Holga I think to myself 'oh, the guy uses a Holga in a war zone' or 'oh, the guy uses a Holga in the White House' or 'oh, he uses a Holga at a fashion show', etc. etc. How exactly is this not putting equipment first?
Elegantly analyzed!

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-31-2011   #90
zauhar

I think you can take important and wonderful images with any grade of camera , provided that you love it.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 12-31-2011   #91
rlouzan

Some years ago I saw Robert Vizzini's exhibit Cuba: A land Baked in Time, at the NY Camera Club. All photographs made with Holga and Diana cameras printed up to 5x5' on FB paper.
Some of the nicest prints that I've seen in a long time.

Coverning the White House with a Holga or Rolleiflex TLR has to be refreshing, when everyone else is using the same EOS bodies.

Happy New Years!
Robert

Old 12-31-2011   #92
isoterica

Yes you could and if you do.. I want to see You are right of course the M9 is a better piece of machinery, my old antique cameras are as well and most were for the price of a Holga or LESS. The question was absurd to begin with but the responses are amusing.

Happy New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Yes, and I could also learn to whistle the National Anthem while standing on my head. The question is why I would want to bother.

What ARE the strong points of a Holga, as compared with just about anything else, including many cameras that are cheaper or free?

Cheers,

R.

Poor man's Holga.
Old 12-31-2011   #93
CNNY

Poor man's Holga.

I own neither a Holga, nor an M9, so I have no opinion which is better.
To those unfortunate souls who blew last years bonus on an M9 with matching lens, but are not getting a bonus this year. It must be really disheartening to read this poll and realize that you have no budget for a Holga upgrade. DO NOT DESPAIR! The following solution will cost $0, provided you have access to a bathroom, scissors, sharpie, elastic and cling film.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6...4fbb6199_b.jpg
fake_holga

Following is a test shot taken with a fake M9 (R-D1), and fake Summicron (Canon 35 f2).
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6...3ccb3f0a_b.jpg
fake_holga_shot

Old 12-31-2011   #94
jsrockit

Christian (CNNY), the construction quality of your home made camera equipment has gone downhill lately.

Old 12-31-2011   #95
CNNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Christian (CNNY), the construction quality of your home made camera equipment has gone downhill lately.
If you use Holga-math, it is really high quality for the time, effort and cost. And btw, it is only the result that counts right (?).

ps. It was harder than anticipated to make the image quality this bad.

Old 12-31-2011   #96
raid
Dad Photographer

If I had lots of money for spending on camera equipment, then I would have opted for the M9 over the Holga. One lens is too limiting for my liking.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-31-2011   #97
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoterica View Post
Yes you could and if you do.. I want to see You are right of course the M9 is a better piece of machinery, my old antique cameras are as well and most were for the price of a Holga or LESS. The question was absurd to begin with but the responses are amusing.

Happy New Year!
This is, for me, the heart of the question. I think my last three cameras were free. One was a Zeiss Contaflex BC, with a Tessar on the front.

And a happy and prosperous New Year to you too, and to all RFF members.

Cheers,

R,

Old 12-31-2011   #98
bigeye

Quote:
This sounds a bit overwrought.

There is an appeal with de-emphasizing equipment to emphasize skill.

Old 12-31-2011   #99
terrafirmanada

I'll take both if your offering

Old 12-31-2011   #100
isoterica

LOL! Don't forget the vaseline on a filter trick too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNNY View Post
I own neither a Holga, nor an M9, so I have no opinion which is better.
To those unfortunate souls who blew last years bonus on an M9 with matching lens, but are not getting a bonus this year. It must be really disheartening to read this poll and realize that you have no budget for a Holga upgrade. DO NOT DESPAIR! The following solution will cost $0, provided you have access to a bathroom, scissors, sharpie, elastic and cling film.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6...4fbb6199_b.jpg
fake_holga

Following is a test shot taken with a fake M9 (R-D1), and fake Summicron (Canon 35 f2).
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6...3ccb3f0a_b.jpg
fake_holga_shot

Old 01-01-2012   #101
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeye View Post
This sounds a bit overwrought.

There is an appeal with de-emphasizing equipment to emphasize skill.

But that's the point, isn't it? When using a Holga you're not de-emphasizing equipment at all. In fact, you're emphasizing equipment to the highest degree. And thus you're actually de-emphasizing skill as every shot becomse, first and foremost, a product of the camera not the photographer.

Old 01-01-2012   #103
Bobfrance
Over Exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
Good Holga

Good M9

I'm sure bad examples by each can be found too!
Pete
Good examples!
Carsten's sublime work is a particularly good example of creative use of the M9 (though he does, in effect, create medium format images by stitching multiple 35mm shots together ).

Old 01-01-2012   #104
bigeye

Quote:
But that's the point, isn't it? When using a Holga you're not de-emphasizing equipment at all. In fact, you're emphasizing equipment to the highest degree. And thus you're actually de-emphasizing skill as every shot becomse, first and foremost, a product of the camera not the photographer.
Certainly, gear, regardless of cost, can create a fresh pop look that camouflages mediocre skill - for awhile. And a holga, just as a fisheye, ultrawide, super-tele, polaroid, IR, HDR, lensbaby miniatures, multiple-exposure images, soft-focus, and whatever insta- or hipsta- ick can quickly become cloying and cliche'. The suggestion may be that you want to develop skill with 'normal' equipment before relying on specialized gear.

But, specialized equipment, like the holga, can enhance the highest level of skill. Burnett's shot of Al Gore supports that claim (as well, his use of a speed graphic/aero-ektar). He creates a finished image in-camera, which would have been very dull straight from a contemporary D1. (It's a brilliant way to handle image control and the ethics of post-processing/manipulation in journalism.)

- Charlie

PS: Nothing I can say though, can surpass the holga manufacturer's inexorable, somewhat frightening eloquence (I'm trying to find the communist manifesto that it's clipped from.)

Birth, death, celebration, ritual, and everything in-between is caught on lo-fi medium-format emulsions - amplified and focused through the plastic lens of this bare bones, oversized camera. Ironically, as camera design becomes more technical, automatic, and sophisticated, Holga's low-tech appeal grows stronger and stronger for us; those who relish its quirky and unpredictable nature. This cult following organizes around the Holga, praising its insane characteristics, unpredictable effects, and stunning results.

Old 01-02-2012   #105
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighstar View Post
interesting (although silly imho). thanks for sharing.
..and what would that make a comparison of the M9 vs Holga ... ?
;D

it's all about light

Old 01-02-2012   #106
gb hill

My Dave's top ten reasons of why I chose the holga over the M9: (insert drum roll here)
10:it's much cheaper.

9:lighter to carry around.

8:shoots MF compaired to M9's measly 35mm format.

7:has a quieter shutter.

6:chicks dig it (chick magnet)

5:light leaks are cool.

4:looks much more fashionable with gaffers tape.

3:Jack White of White Stripes has a limited edition Holga named for him.

2:If I drop it, no need to start a dumb a$$ thread on RFF that I dropped my holga.
...and the #! reason I chose holga over the M9 is because I have one!!!!

Old 01-05-2012   #108
cambolt
Green Spotted Nose Turtle

"It's the photographer not the camera"
I agree... to an extent, however when it is the camera making the choices about the photographs, as is the case with a Holga, the photographer will often find it very hard to achieve their desired effect.

Old 01-05-2012   #109
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambolt View Post
"It's the photographer not the camera"
I agree... to an extent, however when it is the camera making the choices about the photographs, as is the case with a Holga, the photographer will often find it very hard to achieve their desired effect.
You still have a viewfinder... you still have to compose.

Old 01-05-2012   #110
chris00nj
Young Luddite

What about a Rolleiflex for $200 and spare cash? Why do we need to compare the M9 to the overpriced Holga?

Flickr

Blog

Old 01-06-2012   #111
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris00nj View Post
What about a Rolleiflex for $200 and spare cash? Why do we need to compare the M9 to the overpriced Holga?
Jokes, sir, jokes...

Old 01-10-2012   #112
zuiko85

Last two questions almost meaningless to me. Solitary photographer here. Seem to know no one local with an interest in film photography except perhaps the young lady I sold my Mamiya C220 kit to. But she runs in her own circle and me in mine.

Old 01-10-2012   #113
zuiko85

Mr. Hicks comments on better and cheaper 21/4 sq. is really spot on. Last year I picked up a fully functional Zeiss Nettar with a 75 f6.3 Novar and Vairo shutter for $25. Medium format in a photo vest pocket. Keen.