Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Smartphone Cameras

Smartphone Cameras Sure your Leica M9 takes better picts, but is is smart enough to make a phone call ?

View Poll Results: Smart phones
Yes 117 65.36%
No 62 34.64%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2012   #26
Addy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Oh, wait a minute, I think my son is having connectivity problems...he can't find us! Hope he doesn't have a stroke and instead just gets in the car and visits us at home for a change as we only live a mile away.
he lives a mile away and he has to get in his CAR and DRIVE to you? Wy not walk or ride a bicycle? Better for the environment and an instant workout

It seems a lot of people who say they don't want a smartphone never used them. I was the same, until I used one, I'm converted. And you know? Even my 77 year old father has a smartphone. It is great!

Old 11-12-2012   #27
paulfish4570

well, i certainly don't walk and text at the same time. or drive and text. gotta be still to do that ...

Old 11-12-2012   #28
Murchu

Internet in your pocket - what's not to like

http://500px.com/Murchu

Old 11-12-2012   #29
kanzlr
Hexaneur

I have used almost every smartphone type on earth.
The early Handspring TREOs, Windows Mobile phones, Windows 7 phones, Palms (webOS), various Androids, iPhones from 3G to 4 to 4s and I love my 4s.

It is my exposure meter, my map, my quick grab camera, it provides QR codes for my film rolls, it hosts MassiveDevChart, etc.

Also, it has my Evernote data on it, where I store oodles of info, also photo related. It is a remote for my squeezebox radio, it has my encrypted password store, I can play a soccer game on it if I want and I do 50% of my eMail communication with it.

superb tool for everything in my life.

Old 11-12-2012   #30
richardhkirkando

I was a somewhat early adopter with the original Palm Treo. I'm happy that now, after almost 10 years, they actually work right and do what they're supposed to do.

Also, "my phone makes phone calls" is today's version of "I don't even own a television."

Old 11-12-2012   #31
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jett View Post
Iphone, Android, Blackberry, whatever..
The question is implicitly prejudiced, imo. Asking "do you like smart phones?" is like asking "do you like high-end cameras?"

I don't "like" smart phones. I have a "smart phone" and I use its features.. It's a communications and computing tool: that's what I wanted and that's what I use it for. I have communications needs and the smart phone is a tool designed to service those needs.

Yes, there are costs associated with using this kind of tool's functionality. If I felt the costs were a threat or overly high relative to the value I gain from using the device, I'd stop using it. As it is right now, however, it has proven a plus for all of the things I bought it to enable me to do, and I've found a few additional things that I benefit from that I hadn't expected.

---
What makes more sense is to ask whether you like a particular implementation of a smart phone.

I have an iPhone 4S. From an aesthetic point of view, I like the iPhone 4S: it's a good balance of functionality and design, I find it easy to use, and it is sufficiently powerful to do what I had in mind. It integrates well with my other computing devices and functional needs.

Old 11-12-2012   #32
unixrevolution

Objecting to a smart phone over a regular phone is like objecting to a swiss army knife over a standard folding pocket knife.

They are different tools for different purposes. One's a multitasker, one's a singletasker. The single-blade folder is lighter and does its one job very well. The Swiss Army knife does a lot of things well enough.

I had 2 iPhones, and now have an Android-based Samsung Galaxy. I love my smart phone. Internet everywhere is a good thing.

With regard to spying: Your desktop computer can be every bit the accomplished espionage agent too.

With regard to photography: The 8MP digital camera on my S3 is better than most compacts. Also, my iPhone (still carry it) has a great lightmeter app.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 11-12-2012   #33
kanzlr
Hexaneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhkirkando View Post
I was a somewhat early adopter with the original Palm Treo. I'm happy that now, after almost 10 years, they actually work right and do what they're supposed to do.

Also, "my phone makes phone calls" is today's version of "I don't even own a television."
I don't own a television

Old 11-12-2012   #34
Adanac

Pendant alert. 36 responses were contributed before someone ^^^ decided the question was "implicitly prejudiced" and worded not to their taste, yet somehow among the 36 prior responses interesting observations and discussions emerged.

To the OP, yes, I like smartphones. For my business and our household we're using Android based devices. Strictly speaking my wife, who rides a desk at work, doesn't really need one but they've proved so useful for travel and keeping family connected that I can't see us doing without them now.

My children's phones do not have data plans. There's ample free WiFi for them, and I have a good deal of control over our home WiFi and therefore their ability to do things on-line, not that I exercise that control overly much.

Looking at usage logs I've discovered a trend - fewer voice calls, more data driven interactions (text, email). I like it.

Old 11-12-2012   #35
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanac View Post
Pendant alert. 36 responses were contributed before someone ^^^ decided the question was "implicitly prejudiced" and worded not to their taste, yet somehow among the 36 prior responses interesting observations and discussions emerged.
Smarmy weasel alert.

Was making an ad hominem attack entirely necessary? Only smarmy weasels engage discussions by trying to discredit other persons' comments, without responding to the comments.

Old 11-12-2012   #36
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Ask different way - do you like devices spying on you ?
Your tin hat is not on straight

Old 11-12-2012   #37
NickTrop

I resisted until this year - ***'h, ***'d them as another unnecessary recurring expense. Now, it's a must have. It's not just "a phone". In fact, I rarely speak on it. Texting is much better. It's a GPS, a calorie tracker, a workout a pedometer, game system, a text reader, an MP3 player, a pocket computerized chess companion, a black jack player, a digital pinball player, a browser, can stream Netflix, listen to Pandora stations, and take reasonably okay pics but I now always have a camera on me.

Yeah, color me sold on the damned things.

Old 11-12-2012   #38
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
I resisted until this year - ***'h, ***'d them as another unnecessary recurring expense. Now, it's a must have. It's not just "a phone". In fact, I rarely speak on it. Texting is much better. It's a GPS, a calorie tracker, a workout a pedometer, game system, a text reader, an MP3 player, a pocket computerized chess companion, a black jack player, a digital pinball player, a browser, can stream Netflix, listen to Pandora stations, and take reasonably okay pics but I now always have a camera on me.

Yeah, color me sold on the damned things.
Haha. Sounds just like me. I resisted until earlier this year when my old phone finally died. I'am still resisting the urge to take photographs with it

Old 11-12-2012   #39
jett

I'm sorry if this sounded prejudice. I just wanted to ask a simple question. I didn't want to ask "do you like gps integration, internet capability, face-to-face, etc.?" when I can pretty much summarize it by asking "do you like smart phones?". I didn't mean to offend.

Old 11-12-2012   #40
Joosep

Gosh, some people have to turn every question into a witch hunt.

Dont mind smartphones, heck they are smarter than me. May the smartphone users have joy !

Old 11-12-2012   #41
Addy101

Quote:
I'm sorry if this sounded prejudice. I just wanted to ask a simple question. I didn't want to ask "do you like gps integration, internet capability, face-to-face, etc.?" when I can pretty much summarize it by asking "do you like smart phones?". I didn't mean to offend.
If anybody was offended, it is their problem, not yours. But I don't think anybody was offended, just several people wording their responses lousy

Old 11-12-2012   #42
Roger Hicks

Dunno. Never tried one. Why would I?

One of the reasons I've never tried one is that I've seen other people using them...

Oh: and I don't have a television either.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-12-2012   #43
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
I wasn't offended. I just find a poll asking me if I like smart phones with a yes or no answer isn't something I can answer properly and feel comfortable with. I neither like nor dislike smart phones: it's whether I find having a smart phone desirable or useful that's important.

I did not vote in the poll as a result.

Old 11-12-2012   #44
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

One of the reasons I've never tried one is that I've seen other people using them...

Oh: and I don't have a television either.

Cheers,

R.

Technically, I don't own a television either. My partner does. We do use it together, but neither of us watch television ... we watch the local news (and turn off the sound during commercials, they give me a headache) or watch movies and educational/science/etc videos that are streamed from Netflix or on DVD. National and international news is better obtained via the 'net.

G

Old 11-12-2012   #45
mdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Ask different way - do you like devices spying on you ?
Hit the jackpot

Old 11-12-2012   #46
kevin m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
And 99% are probably junk photos? From what I see on Facebook from my kids and their friends, I shiver.
Yes, there's a lot of junk out there, but your 99% figure is way high, I'd wager.

Furthermore, cellphone photography is pretty amazing, once you get over your initial prejudice against it. My Instagram feed is chock full of really good photography, every day, from every corner of the globe.

If you've ever wondered if square negative photography is for you, you could do worse than shoot with Instagram for a week or two to see if you enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

To learn something new. Like how much fun it is to have a camera on you 24/7 that's really pocket sized, and on which you can perform some basic photo editing and post up the results within a minute.

Quote:

Yes, there's that. A little self-discipline cures the issue, though.

Old 01-06-2013   #47
thawkins
thawkins

I have one. Depend on it and despise in the same breath.

Old 01-06-2013   #48
konicaman
konicaman

Have an Android - equipped with a data-only card. Only use: WiFi hotspot, ebook reader and a bit of surfing. Tried using it as a phone, but it was:

Too big
Touch screen annoying
Had to be charged every day

Plain vanilla phone for talking, texting and a few photos to document work - and yes, I use a Moleskin diary and a fountain pen to keep track of my appointments.

So I love my smart phone - as long as it is not used as a phone

Old 01-06-2013   #49
jwnash1

I prefer using a regular cell phone and a pad. Smart phones are just too small for my tastes.
john

Old 01-06-2013   #50
Snowbuzz

Don't have a smart phone.