Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Smartphone Cameras

Smartphone Cameras Sure your Leica M9 takes better picts, but is is smart enough to make a phone call ?

View Poll Results: Smart phones
Yes 117 65.36%
No 62 34.64%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like smart phones?
Old 12-23-2011   #1
jett

Do you like smart phones?

Iphone, Android, Blackberry, whatever..

Old 12-23-2011   #2
btgc

Ask different way - do you like devices spying on you ?

Old 12-24-2011   #3
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I just need my phone to be "smart" enough to let me call out, and have people call in.
No more than that.
I don't need, want or have apps or schmapps or games or music or texting or any of that other stuff.

Old 12-24-2011   #4
Corto

If you dont like smart phones, youre just too cool for school

Old 12-25-2011   #5
Derwent

Never thought I would, then I got an iPhone and I love it.

Old 12-26-2011   #6
LeicaFan
Registered Addict

Yes. Having a smart phone is great. They allow you to connect to the rest of the world, regardless of your location. They are a great source of entertainment and help people be more productive.

Old 12-26-2011   #7
LeicaFan
Registered Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Ask different way - do you like devices spying on you ?
Were you wearing your tinfoil hat as you typed that?

Old 12-27-2011   #8
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaFan View Post
Were you wearing your tinfoil hat as you typed that?
Tinfoil hat isn't going to help you anymore - they have made mesh smoother than you can see and stronger than you can break.

Old 12-27-2011   #9
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

If you feel the need to be connected 24/7/365 no matter where you are or need to feel productive they may be good. Being retired I don't feel the need for either. I guess ambivalent to them might be the answer in my case.

Bob

Old 12-29-2011   #10
ebolton
Number 7614

I didn't think I would like a smartphone till I got one (Android, Droid X). Being able to call up a map of the surrounding area instantly no matter where I am has been immensely helpful. Keeping up with emails both from work account and home accounts to whatever extent I want is great. I've downloaded books into the reader, and read more than I have in years. I'm a convert.

Old 12-29-2011   #11
chris000
Landscaper

I'm driving thorough town in my large heavy Land Rover (not a good choice to be run over by), kid steps into road head down staring at the phone in his hands, I miss him by inches, he does not even look up.

I'm left wondering at the irony of whoever decided to call them 'smart' phones.

My Website - http://www.chriswaldrenphotography.co.uk/

Old 12-30-2011   #12
nighstar
eternal beginner

thank god for smart phones.

and no, that wasn't sarcasm.

Old 01-07-2012   #13
Jockos

GPS is often useful.
The public transport app saved my ass quite a few times.
Note taking app doesn't replace pen and paper, but is unlike the latter always available in my pocket.
Browsing and email on the go is not a daily task, but certainly has it's uses. When I found out that the bed store had closed down, I could easily google for another one in the vicinity.
The darkroom timer app is great for film developing.
Spotify app (Music) keeps my sanity every day on the tram.
The calendar makes sure I never miss an appointment or laundry time, and the alarm clock gets me up in the morning.
Built in flashlight guides my way through the darkness of the world, and on top of that it's waterproof.

Oh yeah, I can call my friends with it to!

Old 01-08-2012   #14
Guaranteed

Yup, and I love them. Just made the switch to Android about a month ago from my iPhone and couldn't be happier. I hardly ever use it as a phone, maybe twenty five people have been given this number. I shop with it, pay bills with it, order out lunch/dinner. I use it everyday at work to listen to music to keep me somewhat sane and drown out the incessant blathering from my coworkers. Mainly though I peruse the classifieds on a few forums throughout the day to get my grubby little mitts on more bits of gear.

Old 01-09-2012   #15
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

I think they're cool and all. My favorite app is the magnetometer: We use it all the time to tell if motors and switches are working.

But no, I don't have one, and don't want one. I don't even have a cell phone. If you want to talk to me, you will need to call my home or my office, where an answering machine will take your message and I will call you back. Or if I hear you call, I will answer.

And no, my answering machines do not use tape cassettes. I'm not a luddite, but I hate being interrupted!

Old 02-06-2012   #16
3rdtrick

I do not like smart phones. I need my phone to be a phone and make good phone calls. I have even got good at texting the old fashioned way. I did get an Android tablet with the data plan and it is fantastic. My work got me a Blackberry and it is the absolute worst phone. It butt dials and the contact list is a pain in the butt. The audio quality is awful and I don't feel it is any easier for texting. Unfortunately 90% of the time I am trying to use it as a phone... My vote is a big fat "NO" and I wish I could vote twice because I have two phones...
Pete

Old 02-07-2012   #17
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Smartphones are useful.
I'm on the Android camp.
I got one from work and I just bought my wife one as an early b'day gift.

She deserved it too, she had been using an old phone whose battery already dead 30-min after charging

Most useful feature, camera (for shopping, capturing ideas, barcode tagging, books to check out later, etc.)
And text messaging, particularly for meeting strangers for craigslist deals.
And GPS/map

Old 02-12-2012   #18
seakayaker1

No, plain old phone with voice mail and without texting capability works for me.

I have a computer at the office and at home for all the smart stuff that I need. When I am out and about a plain old cell phone is good enough for me.

The money I save is spent on cameras, lenses, film and other gear.

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
~ M9, M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/

Old 11-11-2012   #19
paulfish4570

my bride has an iphone. she loves it. gotta say the gps, google and such can be very handy. my bride is an excellent navigator with the iphone in hand.
i have a casio waterproof flip phone. i use the stop watch setting for film developing, and the alarm clock setting for getting up in time. i also use the pedometer setting to keep up with how much i walk, and the compass for deer scouting and such. oh yeah, i use it to make and receive calls, and text my children and bride. that is a lot of convenience packed into my device.

Old 11-11-2012   #20
colyn
sɐxǝʇ ɟo ǝʇɐʇs ןʍoq ʇsnp

You just have to be careful how you use it and don't install just any app.

Mine comes in very handy when I am away from home..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 11-11-2012   #21
Bob Michaels
nobody special

I had an Android phone for 2+ years, now have an iPhone.

99.9% of my use is talking on it.

Text messages seem like returning to the telegraph after Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone.

I have a real camera, a watch, music player, a magnetic compass, and a paper map. I use a $3.99 WalMart kitchen timer in the darkroom. I already know that Tri-X in HC110 Dil. H is 10 minutes.

Even my 4G smartphone is too slow and the keyboard too small for any real use as an internet connectivity device.

If I happen to get a actual important e-mail on my phone, I will respond by calling their phone. 99% of the e-mail can wait until I get home to respond.

So why do I even have a smartphone? Cell phone coverage is very weak at our house so I connect my cell phone through the wireless router. Life was easier / cheaper back in the old days when people understood to use the landline and not to try to call me on my cell phone when I was at home.

One of the things I like about Cuba is there is no smartphone functionality (no WiFi) and voice cell phone calls cost about $1 per minute. So people communicate by meeting each other face-to-face. What an old fashioned idea but it sure works for me.

Old 11-11-2012   #22
willie_901

Navigation, traffic, weather, airline arrivals, light meter, stock quotes, timer/alarm clock, DSLR remote, music and syncing all my contacts, calendars, to do lists, passwords (encrypted of course), remotely controlling my home thermostat, reading email away from home and showing portfolios of my photographs to frends and clients are why I like my Smart Phone.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 11-11-2012   #23
swoop

Love mine. I used to carry around a Palm IIIx, then a PocketPC with a wifi SD card. Then I upgraded to a PocketPC with a cellphone. I would connect the Pocket PC to the phone using bluetooth, the phone had a built in modem, I would have the phone call a dialup ISP and I'd have an instant internet connection wherever I was. The whole setup took about 30 seconds to get online and was limited to 56kbps.

Smartphones have made the whole process easier. And my phone can pretty much replace my laptop if I really needed it to. It's amazing to think my first computer had a 90Mhz CPU with 8MB of RAM, a 500MB HD with a 1024x768 monitor and connected to the internet via an external 14.4kbps modem.

Old 11-12-2012   #24
Griffin
Grampa's cameras user

It's a fantastic tool. Emails, agendas, contacts, maps/navigation, where to find the cheapest gas, paying for parking, banking on the fly, random notes about whatever, docs/music in my online storage. If it would have a stereo mic input I could even record my band rehearsals properly.

Before my Android I had a Windows Mobile 6.1. Gad what a hassle that was. The greatest thing about that phone was pulling out that little pen thing, at which point the phone would create a new notepad and I could just start jotting stuff down. I miss that functionality a lot sometimes.

Old 11-12-2012   #25
ruby.monkey

I don't mind smart phones, although I have no desire to own one myself; I just find the sight of so many people walking around with their heads down, pecking and poking incessantly and obsessively at that little screen, somewhat depressing.

On the other hand there's not much funnier than the sight of someone trying to take photos with a iPad.