Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Philosophy of Photography

Philosophy of Photography Taking pics is one thing, but understanding why we take them, what they mean, what they are best used for, how they effect our reality -- all of these and more are important issues of the Philosophy of Photography. One of the best authors on the subject is Susan Sontag in her book "On Photography."

Old 12-06-2011   #51
barnwulf

A lot of responses here. If you get back this far you need to understand that everyone has been the same place that you are. There are no shortcuts and you will never figure this out just by thinking about it. You have to shoot photographs. Will they be bad, probably a lot of them will. Will you be satisfied, probably not. You will learn something from it and it will improve if you keep at it. As someone else suggested, look at a lot of different photographers and if there is one that you like a lot try to shoot some things like they do. It will be a place to start and you will work your way through it all and you will eventually be shooting things that are yours. Photograph something that you like to look at. Shoot lots of pictures of whatever that is from all angles and under different lighting conditions. You will figure it all out and you will be on your way. You can't worry about what others think. Get in a photography class and give that a try. Show your work here and see what others say. There is a lot of help here on RFF. Just shoot some things and post them. Good luck and keep at it. Jim

Old 12-06-2011   #52
jarski

dont have very concrete advice, but guess a vision or some theme in mind before taking camera in hand is helpful, to get photos that people who dont know you, might like. narrower theme, more helpful.

personally, biggest inflation of my photos happens in period from previous month, to past five years, older ones start to be interesting again as reminders of life lived.

Old 12-06-2011   #53
isoterica

If you look at photos in a broader sense there really is little that you can do that someone hasn't done before you but if you consider, for example, a photography group all lined up to shoot a sunset over the ocean, even though they are all shooting the same thing each one will bring to it their own perspective.

Photography is more about the photographer than what he is photographing particularly when you are photographing something with meaning. You interpret it with your eyes, you capture it with the camera and you convey it to your viewers as you saw it, not as it was.

Consider this, even if you are feeling depressed about your work as I am similarly right now, that tone will bleed through your images as well and bring to them something unique. You.. really can't fail though not everyone will necessarily associate with your vision and it might look a little like so-and-so or whats-his-name.

Emulating an artist to learn how to take better photos will eventually evolve into your own unique style, it can't help but to. Accidentally mirroring another photographer means nothing more than you are at that moment in time on a similar path. It's kinda like walking down the sidewalk and turning left. The other might turn right but you both started out going straight and it's okay to see the same or similar things.

You will evolve is what it comes down to and we all have emotional moments whether we are elated on reviewing something magnificent we have captured or lamenting that everything we do seems tired, overdone, uninteresting.

A suggestion might be to change cameras for a while. Camera's have auras. You will shoot differently with a fixed focal length film camera than a telephoto on a dslr. You will shoot differently with a macro lens than you will a lensbaby. Another suggestion is concentrate on shooting only people's hands.. or on dogs.. or on flowers peeling away one petal at a time. Concentrating on one general subject [though always take a shot of whatever else spectacular might come up] teaches you to look at that more deeply, more creatively.

And as others have suggested joining a group might give you some companionship as well as inspiration. Don't let these temporary feelings make you give up what you love to do though. In life, sometimes we have to muddle through and it isn't easy but as I said even if you are feeling glum you can still crank out some amazing work.

There is a great group of people here to support you too.. see how many responses you got? You'll move beyond it.. so will I

Old 12-06-2011   #54
mathomas

Having a project helps me. Check out the "100 Strangers" project on flickr. It's helping me get comfortable with shooting people, and especially people I don't know.

100 strangers: philip (1/100) by mike thomas, on Flickr

Old 12-06-2011   #55
Saganich

[quote=Hjortsberg;1762690]I'll try to explain it the best I can:

Sometimes I see a picture....

You can only see a picture after shooting, developing, printing, framing, and hanging. There is a whole lot conscious and unconscious processing that goes into an image, seeing is only the first step. Know if your visualizing and only conjuring up these other known works and artists then welcome to the club. It's time to dig deep and figure out what really matters in your life. Then you will see things within your own context.

CS

Old 12-06-2011   #56
ian

Ask yourself WHY you want to take a particular photo or perhaps why you want to do photography at all! I doubt it is jthe process of "focusing and firing" in and of itself. It may be the need to fulfill a creative need or to record a special moment, person or place in time. Whatever the reason is it is YOUR reason, YOUR photo, YOUR experience and THAT makes it worthwhile because no matter what, no one else has done it exactly the way you have!!!!

Old 12-06-2011   #57
charjohncarter

We all go through this. But like Andrew Wythe said, 'you have to go out everyday and paint.' I don't know if you develop your own film, but that really makes a psychological difference. You are really involved with everything. When you get it down, even a picture of freeway can be a winner. Also buy a good hand meter (personally I would pay more for a good meter than a camera), because now you are totally connected to your images. Any mistake are down to you.

Old 12-06-2011   #58
Hjortsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian View Post
Ask yourself WHY you want to take a particular photo or perhaps why you want to do photography at all! I doubt it is jthe process of "focusing and firing" in and of itself. It may be the need to fulfill a creative need or to record a special moment, person or place in time. Whatever the reason is it is YOUR reason, YOUR photo, YOUR experience and THAT makes it worthwhile because no matter what, no one else has done it exactly the way you have!!!!
thanks, man. that's right. that's exactly right. Thank you all

Here's what I figured out... works for me.....
Old 12-06-2011   #59
kuzano

Here's what I figured out... works for me.....

It may be true to say "everything has been shot".... Why should I duplicate all that work?

Well, the far bigger revelation is that "NOT ALL THOSE IMAGES HAVE BEEN SEEN"!!!!!!!!!!!

Part of that revelation is in first realizing that although everything has been shot, you haven't seen everything captured on film or digitally.

Another part of that revelation is that the majority of the people who see your work HAVE NOT seen any of the other variations of the same subject....

It's true... Buck Up and shoot. Do your own thing.

Last edited by kuzano : 12-07-2011 at 16:41.

Old 12-07-2011   #60
one90guy

I went through a very low period, 2007 I became disabled. One day while sitting around feeling sorry for myself, I went to the closet and dug out my old film camera. I tried to take images like I saw in the magazines and online. It did not take long to see I was no where close. So I just started clicking on anything that caught my eye and I started seeing images that I liked. When you have the urge go out and use the camera.

Old 12-07-2011   #61
Gary Briggs
mamiyaDude

these are some of the most interesting responses i have ever seen on rff.
I agree with pvdhaar, peoples faces (I think b/w is best) are never boring, and you don't have to feel you are an 'artist' to enjoy them (and w/others).

Old 12-07-2011   #62
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoterica View Post

Emulating an artist to learn how to take better photos will eventually evolve into your own unique style, it can't help but to. Accidentally mirroring another photographer means nothing more than you are at that moment in time on a similar path. It's kinda like walking down the sidewalk and turning left. The other might turn right but you both started out going straight and it's okay to see the same or similar things.

Making photos similar to what you have seen, but with your own particular style is fine.

And if you don't like what you get when you try, look for the differences. Try to recognize them, and then try to correct them. You will get better and define your style more and more.

Enjoy.

Old 12-07-2011   #63
The Meaness

You will always be at a loss if you concentrate on measuring up to an invisible standard. Adams was not standing where you stood in that suburb. What you see today is unique, and there is a unique way to capture it. If you create an invisible ladder in your head you must climb to be "relevant" then you'll miss the obvious.

I don't think I ever pulled off a decent shot while thinking "will this measure up to _____?" I'm also sure my work is easy for more talented people to look down on. At the end of the day, I can still get caught up in the moment, find excitement/interest/humor/passion in the frame, and make something that has a chance at passable (but very exciting to me). Afterward I get critical and ask the hard questions, how should I have changed this? Was it worth a frame?

Be critical after you take the shot, not before.

Old 12-07-2011   #64
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Meaness View Post
You will always be at a loss if you concentrate on measuring up to an invisible standard. Adams was not standing where you stood in that suburb. What you see today is unique, and there is a unique way to capture it. If you create an invisible ladder in your head you must climb to be "relevant" then you'll miss the obvious.

I don't think I ever pulled off a decent shot while thinking "will this measure up to _____?" I'm also sure my work is easy for more talented people to look down on. At the end of the day, I can still get caught up in the moment, find excitement/interest/humor/passion in the frame, and make something that has a chance at passable (but very exciting to me). Afterward I get critical and ask the hard questions, how should I have changed this? Was it worth a frame?

Be critical after you take the shot, not before.
Brilliant! I'll steal that one!

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-07-2011   #65
jippiejee

I like to think of all the elements in a photograph as words. Yes, they've all been spoken before, or printed. Even today. Yet new poetry can be written every day.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 12-07-2011   #66
kbg32
neo-romanticist

I had a teacher many years ago say - "think of depression, as digestion of your highs". It has always helped me.

BTW, quite possibly your depression might be related to something else. Photography in and of itsef, should not make you depressed. It never hurts to talk to someone.... meaning a therapist.

Old 12-07-2011   #67
d_ross

Anyone feeling this way about photography, assuming of course that photography is the right medium for their personal expression, should read the book, 'The ongoing moment' by Geoff Dyer! in fact anyone with an interest in photography should read it if they haven't done so already.

Old 12-07-2011   #68
d_ross

It is an outsiders look at photography, as Dyer says he never takes photographs.

I think the book is interesting because discusses how all photographers are to some degree the same person, that we are all attracted to the same things, or very similar things, hence the title of the book. So perhaps anyone suffering the feeling that this has been done so why should I do it, should benefit by seeing the time line that created so many great images, and the understanding that whilst it may have been done before, every doing of it is part of the history of the medium. I think it's worth persevering with!

Old 12-07-2011   #69
Teuthida
-

Find subjects that mean something to you... and avoid the picturesque. You'll be fine.

Old 12-07-2011   #70
Hjortsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ross View Post
Anyone feeling this way about photography, assuming of course that photography is the right medium for their personal expression, should read the book, 'The ongoing moment' by Geoff Dyer! in fact anyone with an interest in photography should read it if they haven't done so already.
thanks for alerting me to this book. going to order it tommorrow

Old 12-07-2011   #71
Rob-F
Old School

I think it is best to not compare ourselves to others. The right comparison is to oneself. I work to be a little better each day than I was the day before. And just as no one bothers to try writing another Beethoven symphony or paint another Monet water lilies triptych (because they have already been done), there is no point in taking another Eggleston picture. You have your own style, even if you don't yet know what it is, and even if it's not fully evolved yet. So I think you should work in your own unique way.

--Variously attributed to Moms Maybley, Mark Twain, etc.

This Is A Great Thread!
Old 12-08-2011   #72
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

This Is A Great Thread!

This thread represents what I come to RFF for. Thanks to everyone that contribute ideas to RFF that inspire!

Ricoh GR; Nikon 1 V3; D600; Speed Graphic; Polaroid 250

Old 12-09-2011   #73
d_ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjortsberg View Post
thanks for alerting me to this book. going to order it tommorrow
I think you will enjoy it, I have read it in it's entirety a few times now, and often refer back to parts of it.

it is one of a number of books I constantly refer to for both inspiration and understanding, another really good book in this respect is the small

"Magnum Landscape" ISBN 0-7148-3642-7

This is a book full of the very best of the types of pictures we all take, whether full time artist's or holiday snap makers. I often take this book with me on trips away, it's small size but packed full of great stuff.

Old 12-10-2011   #74
Richard G

Geoff Dyer's book is quite absorbing. I read his wonderful riff on jazz first, 'But Beautiful', and loved that, especially the section on Thelonius Monk. Dyer has almost too fertile a mind and I could see how some would find his speculative streak irritating, but his exhaustive insights into some individual pictures is often impressive. Whether the book would be an antidote to melancholy I am not so sure.

Old 01-07-2012   #75
Muller

Interesting. I've gone through the the same thoughts as well now and then, or that my photos (style, technique, subject, whatever) aren't good enough. But then, I'm not sure I want to be compared to the "masters"; HCB, Adams, Maplethorpe, Yeager, etc. I'm not any of them, and I don't want my photos to be mistaken as theirs.

Recently I looked at an exhibit of Limb Eung-sik's photography at the MoCA, Korea. Before that feeling started coming over me, I reminded myself there's no way I can ever get photos like he did; the destruction and rebuilding of Seoul and Inchon during and after the Korean War, portraits various celebrities from the 60's to the 80's. It was his street shooting in and around one of the districts in Seoul where I noticed something, that I was looking at not just the subjects in the photos, but at how he was shooting them. And seeing the same things I do for a shot. Which ones he was moving when he took them, hip shots, when he was shooting at eye level before moving on, and the ones he took surreptitiously of a couple at coffee shop seated at a table across from him.

So without even knowing it before, apparently I'm as good as one of the greats. Get out and shoot.