Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

Leidolf Lordomat Review
Old 11-30-2015   #1
eckmanmj

Leidolf Lordomat Review

I recently got my first roll from a Leidolf Lordomat which I acquired this past summer.

Many people may have never heard of Leidolf, which is understandable as their camera production business lasted less than 15 years.

They were also based out of Wetzlar, the same town where Leitz was/is located.

Being a "poor man's Leica" doesnt mean that its not a wonderfully built camera with excellent ergonomics, and amazing optics. I enjoyed shooting my first test roll through this camera, and I was even more pleased to see that almost every exposure from my first roll came out great.

Colors are bright and vivid, sharpness is top notch, and the contrast is excellent. This is a wonderful camera which does not come up for sale often, but if anyone here has an opportunity to pick one up, I highly recommend it.

For a complete review and more sample pics, check out my review here:

http://www.mikeeckman.com/2015/11/le...lordomat-1953/

Old 12-02-2015   #2
farlymac
PF McFarland

If I'd only known about your ownership of the Lordomat, I could have helped you out in the lens department.

Lordomat Grouping by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Leidolf stopped manufacturing cameras and lenses in 1962 when due to financial difficulty, they were taken over by Wild-Heebrugg, whom started them on surveying gear manufacture. Then in '87, the company was merged into Leitz, becoming Wild Leitz two years later. In '90, that company was absorbed into Leica Holding.

I had some good times with my Leidolf set. It now reposes at the Camera Heritage Museum in Staunton, VA.

PF

Old 12-03-2015   #3
farlymac
PF McFarland

Hey, you're in luck. I forgot I had the instruction manual, and found it today while doing inventory. Post me a PM with your address, and I'll drop it in the mail.

PF

Old 12-04-2015   #4
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Hey, you're in luck. I forgot I had the instruction manual, and found it today while doing inventory. Post me a PM with your address, and I'll drop it in the mail.

PF
Oh man, thats wonderful, thank you!