Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Fuji X Fixed Lens

Fuji X Fixed Lens This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Is the X100 my best option?
Old 11-23-2011   #1
infinitydreams

Is the X100 my best option?

I want to get a digital camera that is quality, looks great and produces great results and isn't a standard DSLR (got one of those).

I've seen mixed reviews now for the X100 from "wow it's amazing" to "why I sold my x100" posts.

In the UK the X100 is now available for 850 which to me is still alot of money but I'll always pay for quality.

Is the only other something like the Leica X1 or are there other options?

Could they replace the X100 with a new model anytime soon? They've obviously just released the X10 and I've seen posts about a fancy interchangeable lens version but is there a X100 V2 on it's way?
Desires a Bessa & X100 and one day a Leica
My Website - Twitter - Tumblr

Old 11-23-2011   #2
jsrockit

It IS an amazing camera. Over 70,000 sold... so there will be some reported issues on the internet...as with any camera sold in this quantity. You can choose to be scared or you can choose to buy the camera and have fun using it (it is under warranty). You will not see a new X100 until after the LX and then also maybe never.

Old 11-23-2011   #3
paulfish4570

i am amazed by mine. pics in my x100 gallery here, if you've mind to look, and in an x100 photo thread here at RFF.

Old 11-23-2011   #4
gavinlg

Yeah it's probably the best digital camera released in the last few years (IMO).

Don't expect to shoot it manual focus, don't expect it to focus in darkness with no contrast for it to lock on to, and expect the lens to behave like a 35mm f2.8 in terms of 'look' compared to a full frame camera.

Old 11-23-2011   #5
sar-photo
Simon Robinson

Hi James.
The X100 is my first digital camera. I held off going digital as I don't like SLRs and I do like optical viewfinders. I must say that I am very impressed with it. It does have its quirks but once you get to know it it is a fantastic little camera.
It is the only camera I have used since buying it about 6 months ago. I mostly take photos in the street and I find it ideal for this. All but one of the photos on my 24hourphoto blog were taken on the X100.

Cheers
Simon

New zines 'Sit, Stay, Good Dog!', 'Up The Workers! 1970's Glasgow' and 'Pull For Life' available now!

Old 11-23-2011   #6
infinitydreams

Well I think I'm sold. I now just need to find a little extra money to go and buy one...not sure santa will be that generous this year!

Is the lens hood critical? I also saw a post saying it's really important to get a super fast memory card or there is a huge delay between taking a photo and it being ready to go again?

Old 11-23-2011   #7
BillBingham2

ID,

Technology timing is a continual nightmare and will be for years. I went the GRD direction with a CV brightline finder on top and love it. While the IQ might not be the same it that were an issue for me I might look GXR as an alternative to the X100. I find the Black Metal Brightline from CV (28mm) to look very good on top of a GRD.

One way several people look at trying new cameras is to purchase it and try it for a month. If you do not like it sell it and look at you loss, which should will be minor (15%), as a rental fee.

I'm not sure you will see a new X100 soon I do suspect in 2012 it might have a "Big Brother" though what that might be is just speculation.

B2

Old 11-23-2011   #8
Vobluda

Try the focusing first.
Yes, lot of units sold worldwide but also lot of the units available second hand..

Old 11-23-2011   #9
Vobluda

Olympus EP-3 with Panasonic 20mm is also an option worth considering.

Old 11-23-2011   #10
v_roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
Try the focusing first.
Yes, lot of units sold worldwide but also lot of the units available second hand..
+1. I own one and love it. You certainly won't have anything to worry about as far as image quality but you may want to check if you can work with the focus.

Old 11-23-2011   #11
jsrockit

Jeez, the AF on the X100 is not that bad at all. Stop scaring people... ever tried the Leica X1? The X100's AF is blazing fast in comparison. As far as MF? It's an afterthought and not the primary focusing style for the X100.

Old 11-23-2011   #12
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

Have you considered the FujiFilm X10? ...the little brother of the X100. It's new, so there are risks....and are on backorder in many shops...but can be purchased for $599 US. $699 US if you are impatient.

It seems that, with the X10, Fuji kinda corrected some usability challenges with the X100.

I'm sure the X100 is much more camera, though. ...just a thought.

My Transaction Feedback Link...
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2809&protype=9

Old 11-23-2011   #13
Shade

Its an amazing camera, has some quibbles though. They are releasing an interchangeable version next year supposedly. Or you can also get an ep3, i love mine.

Old 11-23-2011   #14
willie_901

The image quality, especially in low light, is superior to any camera with a smaller sensor.

A fast memory card is a must. I use two Sandisk Extreme Pro 8 GB cards. I also use a lens hood. Any amount of flare is undesirable and the hood also protects the lens. I never use a filter as the lens rear element is very close to the sensor and any source for reflections is to be avoided. If you shoot a lot of frames in a day, I would purchase a second battery.

As others have mentioned the X100 is an automatic focus camera. Manual focus ( rotating the lens collar) is only useful to make fine adjustments. Manual focus mode is really just a different and more convenient way to use autofocus . I usually focus and recompose and my selection of M or AF focus modes depends on what I'm photographing.

For most people the learning curve is steep (it was for me). Once you figure out how to operate the camera to match your needs, all is well. The lens performs best at F 4. The weakest part of the system is flare due to gross over exposure of point-source lights in scenes with where high dynamic range is important (night scenes). Otherwise the sensor tolerates over exposure much better than most digital cameras I've used.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 11-23-2011   #15
infinitydreams

I really like the idea of the X100 because of it's fixed lens. My photos are always better when I don't have access to ZOOOOOM

Old 11-23-2011   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Toad View Post
It seems that, with the X10, Fuji kinda corrected some usability challenges with the X100.
Like what?

Old 11-23-2011   #17
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Jeez, the AF on the X100 is not that bad at all. Stop scaring people... ever tried the Leica X1? The X100's AF is blazing fast in comparison. As far as MF? It's an afterthought and not the primary focusing style for the X100.
Agreed, the AF isn't far off a modern prosumer DSLR. It's a little tiny bit slower, and is single shot AF only, center point only. Otherwise it's quite good, and very accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
The image quality, especially in low light, is superior to any camera with a smaller sensor.
Yeah, even comparable to my 5d in terms of IQ. On a different planet to m4/3 in low light and with dynamic range.

Old 11-23-2011   #18
Peter Wijninga

You could always consider buying a second-hand Epson R-D1, R-D1s, or R-D1x.

Old 11-23-2011   #19
rbelyell

couldnt agree more with gavin's comments. found funny the comment it has trouble focusing in NO light where NO high contrast subject is available. really? what camera doesnt have trouble focusing in those conditions--PEOPLE have trouble manual focusing like that.

AF is just fine--set it to MF, press the AFL button to achieve accurate focus 95% of the time, use MF ring with subject magnification for the other 5%.

daytime IQ the equal of my 5d with zeiss legacy glass; lowlight/high iso IQ beats 5d hands down (i traded my 5d for the x100). i have and really like an olly ep2 with evf and the panny 20/1.7--but its no contest, its not in the same league as the x100, and is really unuseable above iso 800. x100 fabulous even at 3200.

Old 11-23-2011   #20
celluloidprop

I've only got three knocks on it - it does seem somewhat fragile (purely a feelings, I've had no actual issues with it), the buffer is slow even with a UHS-1 card (but not unusable) and the filter ring/hood setup is terrible. I'd really like a locking bayonet hood for it, but there are no real elegant solutions.

Other than that, fantastic camera.

I use mine 99% of the time with the EVF, with the AF focus point at its smallest setting and use the same focus and recompose method I do with every other camera, whether rangefinder, dSLR or manual focus SLR.

Old 11-23-2011   #21
Black
Photographer.

James,

I have the X100. Its a fantastic camera, but don't expect it to perform miracles out of the box. Its well documented as having its foibles and if you get one, you'll just have to learn to love it in spite of that. The IQ is excellent and its low light performance is quite remarkable. And yes, its very pretty and unassuming. All bonuses in my eyes.

I don't think the lens hood is in anyway essential, but, again, it does look pretty. I occasionally like a bit of lens flare, in any case (I'm always a season or so behind in photographic fashions and trends).

Try before you buy, then buy with your heart and not with your head and you'll be all the happier for it.

Old 11-23-2011   #22
Black
Photographer.

Oh and I've just added you on Twitter lol

Old 11-23-2011   #23
peripatetic

I love my X100.

Was lucky enough to get one very early back in mid-March. Simply brilliant.

Lots of stuff on my blog.

Old 11-23-2011   #24
paulfish4570

my lens hood twist locks. 't'is a nice hood ...

Old 11-23-2011   #25
bigeye

James:

For what you describe, Rockwell thinks that it's best and he is quite thorough. It's a "consumer" build and not what you'd expect from a Leica, but it is 6k cheaper and does take great pictures.

Spent several first weeks of July in your town - lovely (I don't know if I could live with a single lens there...).

- Charlie

I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it. - Steven Wright

Last edited by bigeye : 11-23-2011 at 13:44.