Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Old 02-07-2012   #476
nighstar
eternal beginner

got three more cards today.

29. Andrew
30. Pavel

and a second card from Dan H. i really like all three cards but WOW! @ Pavel's Alaska shot! i so wanna go there someday.... even if i would die from the cold.

Old 02-07-2012   #477
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker1 View Post
Rob, if I am not mistaken there was one person who had to drop out. I had listed 39 total including myself, so I was expecting to receive a total of 37 postcards. If I am missing a name, that would be a bonus since it may be one more in the mail!
Yes, Dan. One out (Jan from ON). But another one last minute in (Jim from AUS). You should also receive cards from 38 persons. Apperently, I received Jim's postcard already by 26 January. I see you still miss it!?

Got Brad's (from PA) and Barry's (from NC) one today too. 34 are in. Waiting on:
Quote:
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Ilia ~ CA
Valentino

Old 02-07-2012   #478
pevelg

Make sure you go in the summer and STILL bring some warm clothes. Photo was taken the day after July 4th. Most interesting part about the ice is when it falls off the glaciers. It creates such a thundering noise. On the other hand, fireworks in Valdez (small town surrounded by mountains) cause the greatest drum rolling echoes in the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighstar View Post
got three more cards today.

29. Andrew
30. Pavel

and a second card from Dan H. i really like all three cards but WOW! @ Pavel's Alaska shot! i so wanna go there someday.... even if i would die from the cold.
Gear:
-Leica M8 with 28mm f1.9 Ultron
-Lots of misc stuff

WTB: Nothing
WTS: Little bits and peices

---------------------------------------------------

Old 02-08-2012   #479
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

We all seem to still be waiting on the last few cards, 5 or 6 in my case, and that appears to be about where the rest of y'all are at.
So,
Time to share?
Knowing that I won't please everyone with this choice, I think YES.

This is what I sent:

And these are what I have received so far:

I have said I would attach a (small) version of my photo as well as link to it but, I can't attach it...the 114k version exceeded my upload limit by 12.96Mb according to the "manage attachments" screen!

The cards I've got are all in pretty decent shape. Some minor bent corners and several had the barcode sticker on the image side but has been my practice since I started seeing these on my mail, I peeled those off.
A few nicks and scratches also.
But, overall, these and the incoming cards will make a wonderful art collection.
I still haven't quite decided how to store them. I'm now thinking to get some 5 x 7 photo sleeves and a nice looseleaf binder. 2 to a page so I can easily look at/show off both sides.
5 x 7 I think because the cards are all slightly different sizes and 4 x 6 photo sleeves might not fit all of the cards.

Thank you all again for making this happen!
Sure, I posted the idea here but with out your enthusiasm and eagerness to play, it would have been nothing but a few immaterial lines of electrons.
As it has turned out, we each have a small but good collection of real prints from around the world. A physical connection, as it were, with a few of our fellow RFFers.
You folks rock!

Let's see what y'all got, folks!
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 02-08-2012   #480
jesse1dog
Gone Digital

Rob
What I expected really.
Yours was a great card of the Raquette Lake but I think the screen image I get has a translucency that the print didn't have.

I'm interested in just what some of the card images are, how the images were captured and any little stories connected. I do know that we haven't all got quite the same card collection, so I feel there is a lot more to come.
I'm off to assemble some notes on my card.
Thanks again Rob.

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix FZ5/38 - Lumix LX3/7 - Lumix GF1 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 02-08-2012   #481
rover

First of all I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Rob for thinking of this and of course organizing the rest of us.

Secondly, I think this was a great idea, I really enjoyed this project, and with all of your cards in an album I have something to keep going back to and enjoy.

And finally, wow, thank you for the comments and compliments paid to me regarding my photo. The posts here in this thread and the very very kind PMs sent. That means a lot. Really, I am the poster child of photography hobbyist, Dad with a Camera, and I very much appreciate your kind words. I simply enjoy sharing a little space here at RFF with you good photographers, if every once in a while I can poke my head in with the rest of you, wow.

My photograph is a look into, and the reflections in, the window Of Max Downtown, a restaurant in Hartford, CT. I had some issues deciding what photograph I would use because the aspect ratio of the postcard just didn't appeal to my eye when applied to a small number of photos I had identified as possibilities. What draws me to this image are the colors, the repetitive series of hanging lights reflected in the mirror on the wall inside, the placement of the waiter in the composition, and the reflection of the street outside, the car and the snow bank. This photograph was taken in 2007 as part of the RFF Equinox project. Those who participated photographed that March day and posted their photos so we could all see what that day was like around the world. I shot with an M6 and in this case, a Minolta x-570 sporting an MD Rokkor X 35/1.8 that day. I do not recall what film this was on. Here in CT that day was cold and breezy. I was out for a couple hours in the morning, then went back indoors to thaw out. Here is the set of my photographs shot during that walk, and the photograph which I used for my post card.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roversw...7600023857393/

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-08-2012   #482
jcrutcher

I also would like to give Rob a hugh thank you, we really enjoyed it and cherish all the cards we received (32). I'm a rookie to photography so projects like this teach me more than I can learn from a book or myself. Thank you all for including me in this wonderful project.

My photo was taken November 2011 at 6:40 PM. I used a M9-P with a 50mm Summilux ASPH. I used a negative exposure compenstation of 1 1/2 stops. ISO 640, 1/30 and F1.4 (lightroom says F2 but I remember I was wide open). I cropped out about 20 %, used clone on a small part of a wall. Converted to B&W with Silver Efex Pro 2. Post cards produced by Moo.

Jones and Clay street in San Francisco pointing East. This was over the Thanksgiving weekend so Christmas lights were on the big buildings. The Transamerica Pyramid is the main subject, the square lighted buildings are the Embarcadero office/shopping complex. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks again. Jim

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 02-08-2012   #483
kxl
Social Documentary

Many thanks to Rob for putting this together. Here's the image on my postcard. This was taken at the Zocalo (Plaza de la Constitución) in Mexico City on our last trip south of the border a couple of years ago.

Taken with a ZI and ZM 50/2 Planar with Arista Premium 400 dev in Xtol 1+1.

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
― Ansel Adams

Img 0042
Old 02-08-2012   #484
randolph45

Img 0042

Well I'm still learning this computer stuff so you will have to dig out the right print.(img 0042)

When the project was first proposed I was thinking picture postcard
and not fine prints like all of the others are.

I like the close shots better but I wanted the bridge on the left in the print.Slight crop, but lost the light house on the right when the card was produced.I also considered using the California arch shot but all those had the glare and loss of the bottom line in the Calif sun sign

The card was done by Costco back east as they don't do them local.69 cents each ,laminated it says on the included info card with the order.Not as heavy a stock as Moo .

Lots to learn yet
Still waiting for mods to fix uploads for me till then just link to Pbase

P.S. With help from Rover who managed to put the original print up for me thanks.
I was able to put up thumbnails before and never a full print like this one
The to arch shots are at Pbase in the RFF gallery for those who havent seen the original post here(randolph45)

Last edited by randolph45 : 02-08-2012 at 21:00. Reason: add line

Old 02-08-2012   #485
pevelg

Here is the photo I sent:

I really wanted to get one of my location, but the only really good one I had was off my Hasselblad and I had never scanned the film. I had made a 16x16 wet print and it was incredible. Maybe next time around I'll have it scanned by then. The image I sent was actually heavily cropped. I had a hard time finding a photo that I liked the crop imposed by Moo. Below is the original image, with boat railings cropped out (original was 6x7 from Mamiya 7).

Gear:
-Leica M8 with 28mm f1.9 Ultron
-Lots of misc stuff

WTB: Nothing
WTS: Little bits and peices

---------------------------------------------------

Old 02-08-2012   #486
seakayaker1

The photograph I selected was taken on Sunday, August 21, 2011 at the Ballard Farmers Market. The local food bank had set up a lemonade stand for donations and this wonderful women was playing the fiddle as an added attraction. The photograph is a favorite of mine because I love people who volunteer and give their time to organizations in need who help people in our communities. From teenagers to senior citizens we all can find a charitable organization and give them some of our time to help out.

I also felt that the subject fit well onto a small 4.25 x 6 inch format, was pleasing to the eye, told a story, and offered a suggestion as it traveled around and viewed by others during its journey and at its final destination.

Fund Raising Fiddler
(click on title above for larger version)

Leica MP with 50mm Summilux

The film was HP5 which was developed and scanned at 60 minute photo in Seattle. Imported into Aperture, edited using NIK Silver Efex Pro 2, then opened in Adobe PS4, the Image resized, saved as a jpeg and uploaded to FlickR. The photo size (424 x 640) was uploaded from Flickr to Moo.com where i ordered the postcards.

A wonderful project that I enjoyed and heard that sentiment echoed by others who participated. Continued thanks to Rob for launching and guiding the project!

It is not over and look forward to receiving the remaining postcards that are still in route as well as reading other members stories and comments!

Add link to of second photo taken of the Ballard Food Bank Lemonade Stand with Fiddler: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2667261...1570/lightbox/

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
~ M9, M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/

Last edited by seakayaker1 : 02-09-2012 at 08:48. Reason: add link to second photo taken that day of lemonade stand

Old 02-09-2012   #487
nighstar
eternal beginner

~ wildfire ~ by nighstar, on Flickr

there's nothing particularly special about the photo i sent.... i had a really hard time deciding on a photo and ended up choosing the one i did because i really like it and felt it was unique. the photo was taken at the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens, one of my favorite places to stroll, using a recently acquired Ricoh 500G. in fact, the photo is from my first roll with the camera and it was also my first time doing redscale. i used Kodak UltraMAX 400 exposed at ISO25. the film was developed and scanned by the lab and is mostly unedited. as for the subject itself, i'm not sure what kind of tree it is. the garden had a million kinds of both native and foreign trees, among other things.... but there are a few trees native to Australia (Jacarandas & Poincianas-- thanks ricnak!) that have such crazy branches.

about the printing of the card itself, i used moo.com which i'm largely happy with, although the colors/tones on the finished cards turned out different from what appears on my monitor.... perhaps my monitor is at fault, but i really hope not! do the colors of the above photo match the colors of the postcard that you all received....?? anyone?

lastly, a big BIG thanks to the organizer of this project, Rob, for his great idea and hard work! i really enjoyed this project and am really grateful for having been a part of it.

Old 02-09-2012   #488
rover

Quote:
the colors/tones on the finished cards turned out different from what appears on my monitor.... perhaps my monitor is at fault
Question, did you click the option to have moo adjust the image to best print the final result? I forget what they call it, what the option actually says? My image reproduced pretty much as it shows on my monitor and I did click yes for this option. I wonder if that is a difference?

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-09-2012   #489
brainwood
Registered Film User

Here's my postcard

'End of the Towpath' its part of series called 'Along the Towpath'.

Shot on a Rollei 35 40/3.5 on Agfa APX100 ( sold as Rollei Retro 100) and processed in Rodinal 50:1.

The card is printed by Moo and is my first attempt at a postcard, I stupidly didn't pay enough attention to the Histogram and as Moo print the file with no correction the result was abit disappointing as it lacked the umph of the original. This is how it should have looked. At least i know for next time to make sure my max highlight value is set 255.

This is a great project my card count is upto 34 including 2 from Ben (Semordilap)!!! thanks Ben.

RFF Gallery

chrisbrainwood.co.uk

Old 02-09-2012   #490
ampguy

Wow, very interesting background info. on these images, and very interesting to see the differences between online and print.

I took my image on the Stanford campus last Dec. 28, 2011. During the holidays, the campus is pretty empty, parking is free, and the bookstore and a few other shops are still open.

I had Portra 800 about halfway done from the previous night shooting indoors. I used a Canon 28/2.8 lens on a Bessa R, so I was able to shoot in some relatively dim places at handheld speeds. I can't remember if this was taken at 5.6 or 8. I also took a vertical one. I think the one I used for the postcard was made b/w and may have been contrast enhanced with Picasa's "feeling lucky" but I think the one below is the image untouched other than b/w:

I was hesitant about the project when Rob first started the thread, mainly due to what I thought would be the costs. I didn't have any ultimate postcard image ready to send out, and briefly looked at postcard costs and postage costs and thought that if the list got up well over 50 and there were a lot of international cards, this could become a pricey project.

Well I went the other direction, I printed matte 4x6 prints at Costco, not sure if they would make it through the mail, and if they didn't my backup was to use one of the thick card services. I am sure that many were abhorred to receive my 13 cent print with hand drawn lines, taped address, and under some stamps a squiggly for "stamp" but I was partly expecting them to come back as too thin or not meeting postal regulations, and if they were received, I began wondering what folks would think once they mounted them in an album of sorts.

I personally like the thick card stock to hold, turn over and handle, but ultimately mine will go in an album where the thickness will probably be secondary to the image quality, but we'll see.

Great project Rob, I really enjoyed getting the cards, and seeing others' work in a tangible format.

Other images from that shooting day are here

angled shot of several on a table:

Old 02-09-2012   #491
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
Uhm, why is that image flipped right-to-left?

My postcard comes at weekend. I'm sick right now, but I have already seen it, on one of the postcard-stack posted. Made me smile.

thanks
Old 02-09-2012   #492
ampguy

thanks

I think I've got it fixed. I took that photo with a computer aimed down at them, which mirrored them, but I think I've got it flipped right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krötenblender View Post
Uhm, why is that image flipped right-to-left?

My postcard comes at weekend. I'm sick right now, but I have already seen it, on one of the postcard-stack posted. Made me smile.

Old 02-09-2012   #493
crawdiddy
qu'est-ce que c'est?

I am envious of those who participated in this project. I can't wait for the next one, so I can get in on it.

My 'Postcard' picture.
Old 02-09-2012   #494
jesse1dog
Gone Digital

My 'Postcard' picture.

Not sure how this will compare with the 'postcard' I sent.

This is the motion of a steam locomotive no.46512 on the Strathspey Preservation Railway up in Scotland. The photograph was taken on a Panasonic FZ5 camera using a 36mm equivalent focal length, at 1/80 sec and f2.8 with camera set at ISO 80. Quite honestly I set the camera on Automatic and concentrated on 'getting the picture'. There were several more camera 'enthusiasts' around and this was the best of several photos I managed to take. The photo is straight out of the camera with no messing around using 'Satan's Snap Fixer' otherwise known as 'Photoshop'. I think it looks even better bigger: 10"x8" isn't really big enough!

I chose this photograph for the project for several reasons. It had a restricted range of colour tones, it wasn't black and white but it certainly wasn't garish in any way. I thought the subject matter would be different but not untypical of a postcard that you might buy in a transport museum. It was also a relatively recent photo taken in August 2011 whilst I was on a family holiday, and although other photos from that trip have appeared on the Gallery, this one was 'fresh'.

I was frustrated in getting the photo onto postcard because the commercial proportions of the cards on offer didn't match those of the photo. There were possibilities to enlarge and then crop the picture to fit, but that lost something and I was very unhappy with the results. Making the photo into a postcard using various bought kits and home made attempts again proved very unsatisfactory. So the compromise was to print up an envelope and pop the print inside. At least I reckoned it stood a good chance of getting through the post relatively undamaged - no bar codes, no scuffs and no labels! And it could be pinned to a board or stuck in an album just the same as the others. Incidentally printing onto envelopes provided a few challenges, but that's another story.

It's been a great project. My wife has enjoyed the postcards when they have arrived and I caught her the other evening with them all spread out on her kitchen worktop. A great many people have had a lot of enjoyment and continue to do so.

Thank you Rob. Thank you RFF. Thank you for letting me be part of this community.

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix FZ5/38 - Lumix LX3/7 - Lumix GF1 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

My cards
Old 02-09-2012   #495
sojournerphoto

My cards

First of all, thank you once again to Rob for his efforts in starting and organising the project. It's been a great time and I've received 33 cards so far. A wonderful and varied collection, with the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

I decided to send 4 cards and then to include one extra one of picture with each. It seemed an inetersting idea to try htat and to make sure that everyone got something unique.

The four repeated cards were all, coincidentally, shot with my M9 and 2/35 Zeiss Biogon and I tried to choose pictures that fitted my interests at the moment.

Officially sanctioned graffiti

This picture was taken as I collected my daughter from a tennis lesson one evening. The graffiti was supported by the school and as we passed the sun through the trees created a happy dappling across the scene. I enjoyed the thought of the school supporting its students as they carried out what would have been described as vandalism when I was a boy.

Wishing Tree

I visited a photographic exhibition and sale at a local stately home. My girls went with me and as we walked around the gardens the trust had set up a wishing tree. The custom is that people tie brightly coloured strips of cloth to the tree - effectively an offering I think. Although this is a modern use of the old traditon, the trees were cheerful to see and fun to chase around!

Coldstone Quarry, Greenhow

We visited a public artwork - The Coldstone Cut - one cold evening and whilst there saw the sun set across the quiet quarry. This likely fits with a series that I have been working on for a while entitled Stark. The theme is simply that there are a lot of very lovely, but very stark, landscapes that do not really rank as impressive or photogenic, but that I have been pulling together as a set. The key theme is one of emptiness.

Petrol Station, Harrogate

Filling up with petrol I was struck by the moon hovering above the petrol pump and the colour contrasts before me. The picture is both a homage to themes explored by earlier and better photographers than I (Robert Frank, Walker Evans) and reflects a modern contradiciton in that we enjoy the bebefits of oil, whilst decrying the companies that mine it. Similarly, the image of of something that would typically be viewed as unattractive, yet I find it quite compelling. Arty I admit, but jst thoughts as I took it and then later dwelled on the photo.

An excellent project Rob and all. Many thanks to everyone for participating.

Mike

Old 02-09-2012   #496
nighstar
eternal beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
Question, did you click the option to have moo adjust the image to best print the final result? I forget what they call it, what the option actually says? My image reproduced pretty much as it shows on my monitor and I did click yes for this option. I wonder if that is a difference?
actually, i don't even remember seeing such an option... so i guess i didn't. boo. i will have to be more careful next time.

Hi Jessie
Old 02-09-2012   #497
ampguy

Hi Jessie

Just for kicks I put your printed image next to the screen of my macbook air and sized them equally. The online version is much "brighter" as if fill light were used while the print is flatter and may have a greenish cast. All speculation though, the macbook is not calibrated, but I used went from dim to full bright and I'm sure my specific ambient light is unique.

That's one very sharp lens @ f2.8 on your Lumix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1dog View Post
Not sure how this will compare with the 'postcard' I sent.

[IMG]...[/IMG]

This is the motion of a steam locomotive no.46512 on the Strathspey Preservation Railway up in Scotland. The photograph was taken on a Panasonic FZ5 camera using a 36mm equivalent focal length, at 1/80 sec and f2.8 with camera set at ISO 80. Quite honestly I set the camera on Automatic and concentrated on 'getting the picture'. There were several more camera 'enthusiasts' around and this was the best of several photos I managed to take. The photo is straight out of the camera with no messing around using 'Satan's Snap Fixer' otherwise known as 'Photoshop'. I think it looks even better bigger: 10"x8" isn't really big enough!

I chose this photograph for the project for several reasons. It had a restricted range of colour tones, it wasn't black and white but it certainly wasn't garish in any way. I thought the subject matter would be different but not untypical of a postcard that you might buy in a transport museum. It was also a relatively recent photo taken in August 2011 whilst I was on a family holiday, and although other photos from that trip have appeared on the Gallery, this one was 'fresh'.

I was frustrated in getting the photo onto postcard because the commercial proportions of the cards on offer didn't match those of the photo. There were possibilities to enlarge and then crop the picture to fit, but that lost something and I was very unhappy with the results. Making the photo into a postcard using various bought kits and home made attempts again proved very unsatisfactory. So the compromise was to print up an envelope and pop the print inside. At least I reckoned it stood a good chance of getting through the post relatively undamaged - no bar codes, no scuffs and no labels! And it could be pinned to a board or stuck in an album just the same as the others. Incidentally printing onto envelopes provided a few challenges, but that's another story.

It's been a great project. My wife has enjoyed the postcards when they have arrived and I caught her the other evening with them all spread out on her kitchen worktop. A great many people have had a lot of enjoyment and continue to do so.

Thank you Rob. Thank you RFF. Thank you for letting me be part of this community.

jesse

Old 02-10-2012   #498
ricnak

I took my pic at a place called Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast just before Xmas 2011. Funnily enough, it rained all week except for this one day.

I used an M9 with CZ 21mm. ISO160, f/16 and 1/350sec. BW conversion using Silver Efex Pro.

Another thanks to Rob for organising the project and to all that participated. Looking forward to the next project already.

Cheers

Helen

PS. I had to bump up the brightness for printing. Now it looks too bright on the screen.

Old 02-11-2012   #499
semordnilap

Thanks again to Rob for organizing–this has been a lot of fun!

My image was taken back in 2009, on August 30th, at 5:43 in the evening, according to the date stamp. I took it with my M8 and 40 cron, at some middle aperture, iso 160. I was down on the Esplanade, a park along the Charles river in downtown Boston.

It took some thought before I picked this image for my postcard, but I'm happy because my thinking was to play a little with the idea of a picture postcard, and at the same time do something very much in keeping with my general style.

One thing I quite enjoyed about this whole project is the idea of the postcard (rather than the print) suffering the vagaries of the post and arriving in less than pristine perfection. No card came totally scratch or dent free, some more 'altered' than others, but none nearly destroyed, either. Yet the marks, nicks, frayed edges, and odd spots gave a nice touch of wabi-sabi to the cards. Something like Matus' beautiful contact print we would normally treat in such a careful manner–it was nice to see it survive, albeit dented and bruised, as a different object than it was at departure. And after dboxer shows his image, I would like to show a picture of his as I received it–the rub marks made for an interesting addition.

So thanks again to everyone for participating, sending along such thoughtful cards and great images. I look forward to the next one!!!

flickr

Old 02-11-2012   #500
Matus

Here is my little bit:

Scan from a contact print (I cropped away the wide white part at the bottom)

you can see a crop from 600 spi scan HERE

Is is a photo I took during "Bensberg Schloss Classics 2011" car show (really a cool event). Taken with 4x5 Tachihara, Fujinon A 240/9 @ f/11 on fp4+ developed in Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 for about 10 minutes - inversion agitation every minute in a Jobo Drum (the one that takes 6 sheets).

Printed in a bathroom, but you have read that story already here

Actually - this is the very last scan I have made with my Microtek F1 - I have just sold it (only semi functional).

PS - I have received another 4 cards and so I should be at around 32. Some great stuff.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots