Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Old 02-01-2012   #441
rover

I don't think it matters, one thread or two regarding server space. I think the idea of keeping everything on one thread so the "life" of the project is all in one place is a good one. My thought of having two was just thinking that at this point we are on page 18 of this thread, so there is a long way to go before the images will show up for someone starting from the beginning. Perhaps this can be solved by an edit to the first post saying that the project was completed on 2/7/12, please click on page 19 to see the images.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-01-2012   #442
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiemer View Post
Several good points raised since I last posted.
So.
Once we start posting images of our cards, please do not show anyone's address or real name.

I think what I will do is to both link to a high res version of my photo and attach a version here. A bit ungainly but I think that will serve both to keep the image here and to have a decent sized one for us to look at.

For those folks that may want to see a physical example of our postcards, well, they could have played along with the rest of us so I really don't see the need for a book.
And, frankly, I don't have the skills or time to put one together.
Personally, I will happily show my collection to any one in person--in fact I suspect my family will start to slowly edge out of the room if they see me with the note book I've got them in...

Certainly separate projects should have separate threads.

I hope to see this postcard idea happen again and hope to participate regardless of who organizes it! I will likely be happy to do another around the first of next year but if any one wants to put another together before then, please do so!

I'm still not sure which is a better way to go about the thread(s); whether it makes more sense to keep a single thread or to have two threads--this one and another one with the photos...

Rover, which do you think makes better use of server space here at RFF? Or does it matter?

Regards,
Rob
Rob,

I won't hurt to take a look at how I arrange the thread for this project.

You can dedicate the first post to become the road map, where to find the photos, where to find the discussions, etc. Rover's suggestion to provide links in the first post is an *excellent* one, wish I thought about that.

Keeping the project in one thread is to me crucial in keeping the momentum. Excitement and sometimes disappointment is best served chronologically. You lose that once you start another thread.

Names and privacy
Old 02-01-2012   #443
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
Names and privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbarb View Post
I whole heartedly agree- and I have to assume that most of us will feel the same. I think we should treat this as rule.
I stopped posting using my full real name, am sure those who want to can figure it out, but after doing a search for myself and finding stuff from the first days of the net, and my address and unlisted phone number, when I joined here, I simply did not use my full name.

It is not out of some paranoia, but there is enough information out there, and yes, I have some experience with ID theft, the local detective says he has a photo of the guy who stole his ID in front of the house in Florida he bought with it.

OTOH, if something happens to me, you guys can publish everything, it may be a hell of a yard sale and you may even know what some of the stuff in the back yard is. ;-)

The early postcard exchange ended up with names published in a searchable list for several reasons, first, we simply used our full names on that forum, and second, we simply sent the cards to the folks on the list, I do not think any of us had experienced any of the current electronic wrong doings at that time, and the list became public record after.

We all sent hand made prints then, many fiber base paper, etc.

I like the book idea, if someone wishes to edit such, books are easier to produce today and can be quite reasonable, someone could edit a decent book from the gallery with all the appropriate OK's.

I did not want to throw cold water on any of this, but it is what it is these days.

Regards, John

Josef Sudek

Old 02-01-2012   #444
ampguy

I'd be pleased to do a blurb book for anyone who didn't get into it early, and I know one person already in that category.

I'd probably charge $200 for the book, and only the fronts of the cards (or copies if not a book), and no addresses or names from the back of the cards, but stamp, postmark, and left hand text if no identity info is there.

But, the other folks probably want something here too (I would), so say if everyone wants $1 / book sold for their postcard image being in it, then the book price goes to $230 ish.

Is there a market for this?

Best thing to do IMHO is to participate. Costs less than you probably think. 4x6 prints work fine around the world and cost 13 cents each. postage is (was) .29 throughout the US, .80 cents Canada from the US, then $0.89 to 1.09 ish for RoW, so for 40 participants you can do it for less than $60-ish. Moo cards seem about the best at 80 cents or so each, so for next year I might go with them, or might try to find a lower priced alternative.

I realize my 4x6 Costco print is flimsier than a moo card, but I wonder if anyone cares if they are mounting it in an album? The Fuji paper and inks used are probably going to last 100 years longer than home made prints, and vendors like moo? who knows.

Old 02-01-2012   #445
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
Best thing to do IMHO is to participate. Costs less than you probably think. 4x6 prints work fine around the world and cost 13 cents each. postage is (was) .29 throughout the US, .80 cents Canada from the US, then $0.89 to 1.09 ish for RoW, so for 40 participants you can do it for less than $60-ish. Moo cards seem about the best at 80 cents or so each, so for next year I might go with them, or might try to find a lower priced alternative.
I would say, this is already very cheap. Living in Germany, I had only one other card sent into my country. Foreign countries cost .75€ (about 1 US-$), plus the cards.

But it really was worth it! Would'n do this every two weeks, though...

Old 02-01-2012   #446
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

I am not happy for the photo that I used to be included in a BLURB book or indeed any book. That wasn't really in my mind as a possibilty when I joined the project. The photo is part of a collection that I am assembling for a not dissimilar project, and I want its publication to remain in my control.

So far in this postcard project I have cards from 28 different people, and the number has stuck there for nearly a week now - perhaps that's as good as it gets, and good it really is - thanks guys for the cards that have arrived.

Next time round, and I hope there is one and I want to be involved, we might perhaps wonder about a print within an envelope instead of the postcard. OK, there are good reasons for and against this, and perhaps this idea can be taken up towards the end of the thread when we ask - so what's next.

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

got a couple new ones
Old 02-01-2012   #447
ampguy

got a couple new ones

I think one is a dup. from Dan showing his first card stock without the backside imprinting - great slow-mo color matte photo!

2nd is nice b/w glossy barn, edges a bit weathered which really add to the photo. If I picked up the card, as it is, I'd probably guess the card and image were 50 years old. The USPS added just the right amt. of wear!

Jesse - no problem, I doubt I'll do the book. I think most of us would have to think about how we wanted to share these, and the print books weren't in the original idea, so I think just sharing and discussing here as Rob initially stated is a fine thing.

FWIW - if anyone who didn't participate in the project wants a nice large version of my "hallway" card, well, contact me offline and we'll talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1dog View Post
I am not happy for the photo that I used to be included in a BLURB book or indeed any book. That wasn't really in my mind as a possibilty when I joined the project. The photo is part of a collection that I am assembling for a not dissimilar project, and I want its publication to remain in my control.

So far in this postcard project I have cards from 28 different people, and the number has stuck there for nearly a week now - perhaps that's as good as it gets, and good it really is - thanks guys for the cards that have arrived.

Next time round, and I hope there is one and I want to be involved, we might perhaps wonder about a print within an envelope instead of the postcard. OK, there are good reasons for and against this, and perhaps this idea can be taken up towards the end of the thread when we ask - so what's next.

jesse

My card
Old 02-01-2012   #448
randolph45

My card

Well the only card I got today was mine
I still have one left to send if one is lost in the mail to who ever didn't get one.

As for mine I sent it the day before with only the 29 cent postage,and got it back stamped return to sender with 3 cent postage dueJust a little extra fun for me.I was hoping that would be the case and the post office obliged.

Old 02-02-2012   #449
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph45 View Post
I still have one left to send if one is lost in the mail to who ever didn't get one.
Me too. If somebody missed mine (titled: CRY, Basel) give me a PM. I ordered too much of it

Old 02-02-2012   #450
jcrutcher

I'm stuck on 29 plus my own for 30.

Jim

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Three more
Old 02-02-2012   #451
randolph45

Three more

Three more today
Dan your second one

Russell from Milan Italy

Andrew in Kentucky

Old 02-02-2012   #452
seakayaker1

One more arrived today!

30. Andrew ~ Louisville, KY

Still waiting on . . . . .

Jim ~ Austrailia
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Brad ~ PA
Ilia ~ CA
Barry ~ NC

. . . . . hopefully they are in the mail, and if not let us know, life certainly throws out some curve balls and plans change.

Love the postcards and this has been a great project!

Old 02-02-2012   #453
Brad Bireley

Hey everyone. Just finished addressing all of my cards finally! All will be mailed tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Old 02-02-2012   #454
Jimbot

I was a very late starter in this project and thanks to Rob and others for allowing me to participate.

I have tried and failed to "home print" some cards on Illford pre- printed postcard stock. For some reason, perhaps known to the more experienced, all the cards once printed later turned a light shade of pink.Believe me, what I don't know about photo printing could fill the world.

I am now waiting for some professionally printed cards which I understand might be a few days away. I will definitely address and send them the day they arrive.
Thank you all for your patience.

PS Last count i think I have received 26 cards

Old 02-02-2012   #455
seakayaker1

Thank you Brad & Jim for the update! Outstanding . . . . .

. . . . . perhaps push out to February 14th before posting pictures in the thread?

Old 02-03-2012   #456
dct

29... every day hoping for a few more at the letter box. Maybe they stick frozen somewhere in western EU. Around -12 C/0 F degrees max. temperature expected today.

Old 02-03-2012   #457
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Dan - useful list of cards 'still to come' - matches mine although I've still to get Andrew's - guess it must be in the mail somewhere and I would expect it to arrive later than yours.
Great project - and yes, pushing out to Feb 14th before adding our photos to the thread seems a good idea to me too, but best not to leave it too long.

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

My Gallery

Old 02-03-2012   #458
robert blu
quiet photographer

28 here, north italy sunny and cold, today.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-03-2012   #459
blw

I haven't counted what I have lately...I would say somewhere around 32- give or take. I just received drewbarb's yesterday and it is a CRACKER. I'm sorry for superlatives here, but I think this is my favorite so far.

Regardless all this nonsense, my photo is in the mail today. I put them all in the slot around 2:30 PM EST. I hope you all enjoy it!

Old 02-04-2012   #460
nighstar
eternal beginner

i got 6 more cards all at once on Monday(?) and haven't gotten any more since. currently at 27 cards total.

1. Stephan
2. Chris
3. Helen
4. Valentino
5. Greg G.
6. Ted
7. Randy Z.
8. Russell
9. Robert
10. Keith
11. John/Jesse
12. Christian
13. Randy T.
14. Ralph
15. Tom
16. Jim C.
17. TJ
18. Mike
19. Matus
20. Greg M.
21. Jamie
22. Ben
23. Eric
24. Rob
25. Will
26. Dan H.
27. Dan B.

Todays beer and gear meet in Davis Ca
Old 02-04-2012   #461
randolph45

Todays beer and gear meet in Davis Ca

I took all the cards I have to the beer n gear meet today.Everyone was pretty stoked with your results.This my get the postcard project some more participants next time No pictures were taken of the cards

Check the last page of the beer n gear thread for some of the gear that showed up today

new avatar
Old 02-04-2012   #462
randolph45

new avatar

Nighstar did you get a Hassy to play with? Nice avatar too

Old 02-05-2012   #463
nighstar
eternal beginner

thanks. i finally got my Hasselblad back from being CLA'd and couldn't help taking photos of it.

Old 02-05-2012   #464
rover

Are you sure that is a photo of the camera?

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-05-2012   #465
nighstar
eternal beginner

....well, i suppose there was some "photowhoring" going on too.

Old 02-06-2012   #466
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker1 View Post

Jim ~ Austrailia
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Brad ~ PA
Ilia ~ CA
Barry ~ NC
Please help me double check the missing ones. My count is 32 and I believe I'm waiting for the following postcards:

Brad, PA
James, UK
Slawomir, Poland
Ilia, CA
Uwe, Germany
Barry, NC

This makes a total of 38 + mine = 39 actual participants. I guess, I'm one ahead...

Old 02-06-2012   #467
zauhar

Please remind me - who sent two cards, one of a school event, all the Moms with cell phones? It inspired me to take this photo at my own kid's recital:

I'll look again, but I think that pair was missing a name.

Thanks!

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 02-06-2012   #468
sojournerphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauhar View Post
Please remind me - who sent two cards, one of a school event, all the Moms with cell phones? It inspired me to take this photo at my own kid's recital:

I'll look again, but I think that pair was missing a name.

Thanks!

Randy

Hi Randy

That was me - though you were the only one to get the @mum's with cameras' picture. I did 4 that everyone got one of and then one offs for the second card. I thought it might be interesting that way.

Glad you found it interesting - I like the look your getting from the middle mum

Mike

Old 02-06-2012   #469
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Your count is correct; we had one more person join in after the "official" closing date.
So, we are at 39 total for this project.
Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by dct View Post
Please help me double check the missing ones. My count is 32 and I believe I'm waiting for the following postcards:

Brad, PA
James, UK
Slawomir, Poland
Ilia, CA
Uwe, Germany
Barry, NC

This makes a total of 38 + mine = 39 actual participants. I guess, I'm one ahead...

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 02-06-2012   #470
rover

The thread is stuck

rover's world at flickr

two more today
Old 02-06-2012   #471
randolph45

two more today

Quote:
Your count is correct; we had one more person join in after the "official" closing date.
Rob
Today Barry and Brad,as for the others you listed I don,t see them in my collection yet

32 plus mine excluding doubles sent=33

Old 02-06-2012   #472
nighstar
eternal beginner

got one postcard yesterday.

28. Floyd

the written message is a bit water damaged (damn rain!), but still legible. thanks.

looks like i'm a few behind the US crowd....

Old 02-06-2012   #473
ampguy

Very beautiful color one from Brad/PA today. Thanks!

Two more arrived today for the postcard project
Old 02-06-2012   #474
seakayaker1

Two more arrived today for the postcard project

Two more arrived today, both beautiful, a color and black and white!

31. Brad ~ Galeton, PA
32. Barry ~ Statesville, NC

Jim ~ Australia
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Ilia ~ CA

Love the postcards and this has been a great project!

Old 02-06-2012   #475
seakayaker1

Quote:
Rob

Rob, if I am not mistaken there was one person who had to drop out. I had listed 39 total including myself, so I was expecting to receive a total of 37 postcards. If I am missing a name, that would be a bonus since it may be one more in the mail!

Old 02-07-2012   #476
nighstar
eternal beginner

got three more cards today.

29. Andrew
30. Pavel

and a second card from Dan H. i really like all three cards but WOW! @ Pavel's Alaska shot! i so wanna go there someday.... even if i would die from the cold.

Old 02-07-2012   #477
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker1 View Post
Rob, if I am not mistaken there was one person who had to drop out. I had listed 39 total including myself, so I was expecting to receive a total of 37 postcards. If I am missing a name, that would be a bonus since it may be one more in the mail!
Yes, Dan. One out (Jan from ON). But another one last minute in (Jim from AUS). You should also receive cards from 38 persons. Apperently, I received Jim's postcard already by 26 January. I see you still miss it!?

Got Brad's (from PA) and Barry's (from NC) one today too. 34 are in. Waiting on:
Quote:
Uwe ~ Germany
Slawomir ~ Poland
James ~ UK
Ilia ~ CA
Valentino

Old 02-07-2012   #478
pevelg

Make sure you go in the summer and STILL bring some warm clothes. Photo was taken the day after July 4th. Most interesting part about the ice is when it falls off the glaciers. It creates such a thundering noise. On the other hand, fireworks in Valdez (small town surrounded by mountains) cause the greatest drum rolling echoes in the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighstar View Post
got three more cards today.

29. Andrew
30. Pavel

and a second card from Dan H. i really like all three cards but WOW! @ Pavel's Alaska shot! i so wanna go there someday.... even if i would die from the cold.
Gear:
-Leica M8 with 28mm f1.9 Ultron
-Lots of misc stuff

WTB: Nothing
WTS: Little bits and peices

---------------------------------------------------

Old 02-08-2012   #479
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

We all seem to still be waiting on the last few cards, 5 or 6 in my case, and that appears to be about where the rest of y'all are at.
So,
Time to share?
Knowing that I won't please everyone with this choice, I think YES.

This is what I sent:

And these are what I have received so far:

I have said I would attach a (small) version of my photo as well as link to it but, I can't attach it...the 114k version exceeded my upload limit by 12.96Mb according to the "manage attachments" screen!

The cards I've got are all in pretty decent shape. Some minor bent corners and several had the barcode sticker on the image side but has been my practice since I started seeing these on my mail, I peeled those off.
A few nicks and scratches also.
But, overall, these and the incoming cards will make a wonderful art collection.
I still haven't quite decided how to store them. I'm now thinking to get some 5 x 7 photo sleeves and a nice looseleaf binder. 2 to a page so I can easily look at/show off both sides.
5 x 7 I think because the cards are all slightly different sizes and 4 x 6 photo sleeves might not fit all of the cards.

Thank you all again for making this happen!
Sure, I posted the idea here but with out your enthusiasm and eagerness to play, it would have been nothing but a few immaterial lines of electrons.
As it has turned out, we each have a small but good collection of real prints from around the world. A physical connection, as it were, with a few of our fellow RFFers.
You folks rock!

Let's see what y'all got, folks!
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 02-08-2012   #480
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Rob
What I expected really.
Yours was a great card of the Raquette Lake but I think the screen image I get has a translucency that the print didn't have.

I'm interested in just what some of the card images are, how the images were captured and any little stories connected. I do know that we haven't all got quite the same card collection, so I feel there is a lot more to come.
I'm off to assemble some notes on my card.
Thanks again Rob.

jesse

My Gallery