Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Other CSC Cameras

Old 11-22-2011   #26
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
From what I've heard, the new Nikon is selling well in Japan. The buyers probably don't hang out at RFF though
Probably busy taking pictures.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 11-23-2011   #27
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Well I honestly think Nikon got the target segment right, but not the design. I think the mounting is way too large for it and the camera itself is also comparably larger than other cameras with larger sensors ie the olympus and Sony. Sure the built in viewfinder is nice, but I still think they could have pulled off with a smaller camera system with that size of a sensor.
I don't understand the constant push for smaller, smaller, smaller in cameras. I just returned an X10 because it's too stinkin' small for my hands - a fantastic camera otherwise, it just didn't work for me in the ergonomic department due to size. The N1 V1 meanwhile fits me perfectly.

The current smaller is better craze reminds me of this:

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 11-23-2011   #28
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
.....well that's all done in PP by the software now.
So what you are saying is .......

There's an App for that!

FWIW I'm happy with my GRD III. While I wish I could afford a D40x/60, or dreaming about a GRD IV-T, I'm doing OK.

B2

Old 11-23-2011   #29
ray*j*gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomas View Post
You see, this is where people use wrong logic to begin with. Nikon had no "golden opportunity" because they already control 40% market share in the enthusiast + pro segment. Thus anything fancy and powerful would eat into their own share. Now why would they do that? Entry level segment is very strong and established, a full featured mirrorless would just start canibalising it.
The golden oportunity is for underdogs, you should chance them for your dream camera. Sony and Fuji are doing it, good for them. Pani put out a decent product with a healthy roadmap. Now Oly and Pentax are indeed the ones that are kidding. They should be the ones taking risks coz they don't have much to loose, Nikon does. And on case people are still dreaming - no, Nikon doesn't care about RFF market. "Nikon SP", heh, which century do you live in.

BTW 10mm = 27mm, not a "normal" lens in my book.
Well said!

Old 11-23-2011   #30
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy C View Post
I thought this sort of thread would have gone away by now.

If you are, for some reason, disappointed in the Nikon 1, it is due to your expectations, not Nikon's "mistakes".

The camera seems to perform quite well and looks like it will make many "soccer moms" very happy. That's obviously what Nikon wanted to do. They never had any intention of creating a digital SP so get over it.

I won't buy one but I love the design, think cameras can be too small (regardless of sensor size), and know that a Nikon 1 would solve a lot of my wife's photo problems.
In your honor, the next time I start this sort of thread (TM), I will put "Personal Opinion, please don't read if you can't stand the idea" on the title...

I won't buy it and you won't either, but you just have to disagree with me on why

Old 11-23-2011   #31
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomas View Post
Hey, nothing personal. I didn't mean it as a direct comment about your particular thread but the general wave we get here sometimes when a camera that is not targeted at RFF demographic gets launched. Can you imagine these forums if everyone starts complaining how Coolpix doesn't suit their needs?

As far as being tense, hmmm, I mostly read travel forum and the photography book threads, and I enjoy those. You probably read the comment about how I don't care about the death of film

Back to beer and scanning (I hate developing, so I'm postponing it one more day ).
Peace, brother.
Beer is good for scanning, a book and chips would make it awesome

Old 11-23-2011   #32
Shade

While I agree that you dont have to always go smaller, then lets Put it this way.. They shouldve had a larger sensor stuffed in there..

Old 12-01-2011   #33
urban_alchemist

I took a look at it at a camera store in Zurich. Once I put them down, a guy came up and held it in his hand.

The sales assistant - a really nice, knoweldgeable kid, took him through the camera. Then he brought down the µ4/3 duo and a Sony NEX. He walked the guy through every single benefit of the rival systems; he even got a gasp when he took off the lenses and showed the relative sensor sizes.

But...

They guy still bought the Nikon.

I guess that name, for some, is worth more than we will ever understand...

Old 12-01-2011   #34
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

I don't know what Nikon was thinking but I do know that the EVF is kinda good and it seems to focus fast from a very brief play at the camera store today. It did not feel foreign in the hand and what ever it is covered with is nice and grippy. It just might make a good small camera system to play opposite a DSLR.

Bob

Old 12-01-2011   #35
J_L

My niece asked me about "the new small nikon you can change the lens on"

So I reply "What interests you in that camera?"

"It comes in white so it matches my iPhone and iPad"

I suspect Nikon knows there is a ton of that sentiment out there.

Old 12-02-2011   #36
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

While the naysayers are grinding away, I'm happily enjoying my new V1 and three lenses...

Such negativity. You'd think Nikon was caught in flagrante delicto with sheep or something.

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 01-18-2012   #37
Danlo

Well, if you want a small camera with a silent electronic shutter and superfast autofocus.. what is there to choose from really?

Nikon has actually made something really different from the others. The perfect digital street-camera.
I“ve been evaluating all the different mirrorless cameras for about 6 months..
And then it hit me, what was the most important features in a camera for me?
SSFA - Small Silent Fast Autofocus.
Is there any camera that can compete on these things with Nikon 1?

As for the sensor. It seems most people that bitch about how crappy the Nikon 1 cameras are have not tried and compared the raw-files with m43. The raw-files from the Nikon 1 cameras is on par, and often better (lower noise, better dr, better/softer highlight-to-blown rendition asf) then the m43 sensor -rawfiles.

Yesterday evening, I ordered the J1+ 10-30 and 10mm pancake. It will revolutionize my street photography.

Old 01-18-2012   #38
ColSebastianMoran

Held and shot one in the store. Looking at it on the counter, I was un-impressed. Shooting off a couple of frames, I was impressed. No perceptable shutter lag, quiet. Multiple exposures, it picks the best one.

I was impressed.

This may be the end of "mine is bigger than yours."

Old 01-18-2012   #39
jky

... after having played with it in store. I love the speed. I love how silent it is. I DON'T love the sensor size (as mentioned several times).... the quality of the file (I'm speaking of high ISO) was absolutely fine. I just, on occasion, like shallow depth of field - like u4/3's 20mm f1.7.

Old 01-18-2012   #40
zuiko85

All I can say is that anyone who can actually lay hands on these cameras is lucky. I'd have to fill up the car with expensive gas and drive who knows how far to try out cameras at a store. Sure the big box retailers around here carry a few of the low end DSLR's but NONE of the interesting stuff. I'd have to drive 70 miles to see ANY m4:3 cameras with a VF-2 or VF-3.

Old 01-19-2012   #41
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlo View Post
As for the sensor. It seems most people that bitch about how crappy the Nikon 1 cameras are have not tried and compared the raw-files with m43. The raw-files from the Nikon 1 cameras is on par, and often better (lower noise, better dr, better/softer highlight-to-blown rendition asf) then the m43 sensor -rawfiles.

Yesterday evening, I ordered the J1+ 10-30 and 10mm pancake. It will revolutionize my street photography.
Looking forward to seeing your revolutionized street photography.

Old 01-19-2012   #42
Speedfreak
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
Multiple exposures, it picks the best one.
No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
This may be the end of "mine is bigger than yours."
Yes, I do prefer smaller cameras, as long as they are big enough to handhold comofortably. What the Nikon 1 has eliminated is the use of depth of field and that rules it out for me.

Of course, the average buyer looks for brand names and color (pink!) rather than "depth of field".

Old 02-16-2012   #43
Strawberry

I finally had the opportunity to play with this camera. It is a very fun camera to take pictures with. The sensor might be small but the pictures looked ok. It is very very fast.
I prefer the handling over the NEX 3 camera that I own, I can work a lot faster with the Nikon. Feels better build to. I don't really care for camera looks, it just looks "normal" to me, like a machine that takes pictures ...

A FF like camera like this would be awesome.

Old 02-17-2012   #44
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Ok, there's someone here who claims that the lenses for the Nikon 1 is better than that for m4/3rd. So here's a relevant finding:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pub...-ED-12mm-f-2.0

Notice that they compare the Olympus 12/2 with a Canon L glass, and a Nikon 1 lens of comparable spec. The Olympus bests the Nikon by more than doubling the score.

Old 02-17-2012   #45
jamais

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
I walked to the camera section at Fry's last week and I noticed the new Nikon V1. ...Next to it, an Olympus E-PM1. ...
Both "Made in China" - in either case no option for me.

Old 03-01-2012   #46
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

China makes cameras just fine I think.

I'm curious about the V1. I do think there's a practical limit to how small a camera can be. My GXR is about as small as I'd like to go. The Nex 5N was too small, even though it's a very capable camera. Right now my GXR with A12 M is my only digital camera, and I do think I should have an AF camera in my stable. Ricoh's AF modules are nice optically (and the 50mm is a great macro lens) but the AF is SLOW. So I think all the attention to making CEVIL cameras faster focusers is a good thing. The 1 series seems to be a marketing disaster here in the states, or at least among the DSLR and RF crowds, but that doesn't mean it's a bad camera. There are some pretty neat things about it. I'd love to try the AF in a restaurant, for example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 03-05-2012   #47
MaxElmar

I think the only thing Nikon got seriously wrong in the marketing was the pricing. (And the colors.) But the market is already taking care of that. You can get a grey market V1 body for $550 if you look around. J1 for $399. Still too much, but moving in the right direction. They should hang in there.

I'll be trying one out, soon enough. I'm not looking for a "DSLR replacement" or the ultimate lowlight camera - just a small, fast, high quality portable to augment my big kit.

Still Photographically Uncool

Old 03-06-2012   #48
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

I haven't still figured out what to think of the J1/V1. And of the P7100 for that matter.

The J1 has a built in speedlight, but no EVF, yet has the sleekest overall body shape.

The V1 has an EVF but needs an external one speedlight. Unfortunately it can't take the SB600/700/800/900/SU800, only a small SB5n. I've seen no indication that the SB5n can do
remote/commander mode CLS. The blob on top fromt the EVF makes it clumsy to pocket.

The P7100 has a speedlight built in, can mount the SB600/700/800/900 and SU800 has CLS, but the OVF is only so-so.

Nikon should put the three in a bag, rattle it around for a bit and come out with the best of the three.. Then they'd have a winner.

The only reason they've not done that, as far as I can see is fear of canibalizing their own line-up. Which is weird, cause if there's anyone eating into your sales it should be yourself, not another manufacturer..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery