Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Fuji X Fixed Lens

Fuji X Fixed Lens This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 11-19-2011   #51
paulfish4570

yes, the the latest update did everything ...

Old 11-19-2011   #52
paulfish4570

i like yer style, 'moof ...

Old 11-19-2011   #53
Mlehrman
Mlehrman

Paul, speaking of updating the X100 software...I haven't done it yet, and to tell you the truth, I've been reluctant to start for fear that any glitch will "paperweight" the camera. How simple did you find update procedure, and how improved is performance? Mostly concerned here with low-light focusing, though I don't think that is specifically addressed?

thanks,

Mike

Old 11-20-2011   #54
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Strange thread this!

There's been so much discussed about the X100 and it's always been accepted that the manual focus function and feel is awful ... which it is! Auto focus works fine until you get down to an EV level where it can no longer pick up sufficient contrast to be effective or reliable ... we accept this also!

What's left to discuss ... the camera has no other serious issues that handicap it that I can see? I also think that Fuji are unlikely to change anything in a susequent model if there is one because the camera is selling very well as is!

flickr ... currently all images from the DP2M, DP3M and SD1M

Old 11-20-2011   #55
paulfish4570

Mike, i found the logic of the update instructions a tad off-putting, and asked my bride (who is far more right-brained than me) to help. she did it in about 10 minutes, no issues at all. you must understand that i have difficulty even finding the desktop function on my laptop ...

Old 11-20-2011   #56
bwcolor

Love mine. Setup how I want, so not much use for menu and when I do use the menu it is via the "Fn" button.

The add-ons that have helped, or that I like:

Firmware Upgrades: I swear..faster and closer focus w/o macro and in and out of menus easily.

Luxecase with strap: Dynamite red.. short strap but...

Clone Thumbs-Up for X100: Short strap and Thumbs-Up.. great combo

EF-20 Flash: Use fill flash a lot these days. So, it is Flash, or Thumbs-up

I've learned to work with the auto and manual focusing. I believe that the firmware has also been useful in this regard.

One complaint.. Occasional freezing of all functions and need to remove battery. Don't know what this is about.

Old 11-20-2011   #57
Mlehrman
Mlehrman

Paul, thanks for the quick response. My bride will be of no help here, though she can run rings around me, logic-wise. I suppose slow and deliberate is the way to go for me. But, what are the major differences that you have found, if any?

Old 11-20-2011   #58
5:00 PM
It's a light machine

Over the past three days, I've done two of the most typical shooting projects that average amateurs find themselves doing: a tour around San Francisco with visiting guests and a party in a private home. On the tour, the X100 (with the latest firmware 1.11) felt and largely performed like the PERFECT camera for the task. But at the party, with lots of close subjects that move around, it was a lot of work. Under about four feet the AF is dodgy at best; my experience with AF cameras goes back to the original Minolta Maxxum 7000 and I don't think I've ever had more focus misses than I had at that party. I've done much better work in the same home under the same conditions with a dSLR; the X100 just seems too slow for use at close range. Compared with a dSLR, it's very hard to keep up with little kids...but if you can get them to hold still for one second...

Old 11-21-2011   #59
greyelm
Malcolm

As they say in the computer world, the manual focussing on the X100 isn't a fault, it's a feature

Old 11-21-2011   #60
greyelm
Malcolm

I get the impression that you can't have a mechanical focus ring at the same time as stepper motor driven autofocus (i will accept expert opinion on this). Even the GF1 m4/3 lenses have fly by wire manual focus, allbeit better implemented. The AFL button on the X100 is a very simple solution. I compare any new piece of kit to a new car, eventually you just turn it on and drive without thinking.

Old 11-21-2011   #61
Turtle

For street, F8 and be there.

If this wont work, one flick back to AF and you are away.

Seems to cover most bases for me. After all this is how I work with my Leica. I focus when I have time, otherwise have it set up so that I generally dont have to.

Old 11-22-2011   #62
paulfish4570

my, this thread has legs.
i've had my x100 for about three weeks. i keep things simple. the cam is simple for me because of my simple needs. i seldom shoot "street," and when i do, i take time to focus. the x100 focuses just as fast as my f2a, my r2m and my iiif. but then, i am deliberate about it. i just ain't no snap shooter. so, in my very limited view so far, it does an excellent job, as fast as i want it done. it is what it is, no more, no less, just like my other cams ...

Old 11-22-2011   #63
zauhar

I tried the X100 and intensely disliked the "focus by wire" feature. You turn and turn, and not much happens, you still need to rely on the AF to get close to where you need to be.

Regarding the "impossibility" of having an AF stepping motor disengage to allow true manual focus, there is this mechanism called a "clutch" that the engineers might want to rediscover. I think the Romans were using them. ;-)

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 11-23-2011   #64
paulfish4570

but you weren't in charge, 'moof, just like i wasn't in charge. if you want it, you want it; if you don't, you don't. i'm no snap shooter, so it is fine by me. you are a snap shooter, so it is not.
but i do like your style and passion. perhaps someone out there is seeing these posts ...

Old 11-23-2011   #65
eurekaiv

Hi new here and just found this thread. As someone who recently sold their x100 I figured I'd chip in. My sale was 2/3rd for financial reasons and 1/3 becuase I found the camera frustrating to use in the types of situations I wanted to use it in most. I still really liked the camera as it gave me some absolutely stunning photographs—many some of my favorites ever—but my results in poor light showed banding and were very often missing the moment do to focusing issues. So instead of holding onto a 1K investment (money I could use to buy xmas gifts for the family) I decided to abandon digital almost totally and go back to the old Pentax UC1 P&S and extensive Nikon SLR kit I used in the 90s. Now I'm getting not only a larger number of keepers then I ever did shooting digital, I'm also spending less time fiddling with them in PS (which is what I already do for a living) trying to make them look like a nice film shot. And since I'll always have my D80 around for when I need a quick well lit result for a sale ad or something, I have yet to miss the x100 one bit. Good camera though I think, even despite its shortcomings.

Old 11-23-2011   #66
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
Now I'm getting not only a larger number of keepers then I ever did shooting digital, I'm also spending less time fiddling with them in PS (which is what I already do for a living) trying to make them look like a nice film shot.
I'm curious... which film are using that you are getting better results in low light than the X100?

Old 11-23-2011   #67
eurekaiv

I'm not really shooting film in low light as of yet and have been shooting a variety of different films in all sorts of situations. I bought the x100 hoping to do more photography in less then ideal lighting. Outside of banding on a lot of the ISO1600 and above photos, I was generally pleased with the results I got. The comment you quoted is more a general thought regarding the number of photos I might like out of a given shoot. For example, the last two 36 exp. rolls I ran through my MF Nikon SLRs (an FE2 and FG) yielded about 30 shots I really liked. Typically I would find that I was getting 5 or 6 out of the Fuji even after having taken 100 photos. Now there's all sorts of reasons why that might be but for me personally, I think it's becuase with film, I take more time to stop, think and compose the shot visualizing in my head what I want and expect it to look like and then try and do my best with the equipment to end up with that result. With digital, I tended to just point the camera and shoot pretty much everything and anything and then weed through the results later and use Photoshop to create a photograph I liked. So as it stands right now, I'm really enjoying just taking my camera out and trying to make the best photos I can, and frankly, I appreciate the simpler and more mechanical feel of the equipment as well.

Old 11-23-2011   #68
gavinlg

Interesting... I've never seen banding on photographs from my x100. And I've used it up to iso 5000 in super dark concert environments.

For instance:

iso5000

Old 11-23-2011   #69
celluloidprop

I've seen banding if I heavily push 'fill light,' but only at absurd levels.

Old 11-23-2011   #70
peripatetic

Quote:
óbut my results in poor light showed banding and were very often missing the moment do to focusing issues.
That's very odd. I have never heard of anyone complaining of X100 banding. May I ask what monitor and calibration tools you use? A large percentage of banding issues are monitor related, and not present in the image itself.

Or perhaps you just had a defective camera.

Old 11-23-2011   #71
35mmdelux
fiat lux יְהִי אוֹר

I almost got an X100, then as I was about to pull the trigger I decided to throw down for the Nikon F6, an incredible machine.

Old 12-02-2011   #72
jsrockit

Quote:
For example, the last two 36 exp. rolls I ran through my MF Nikon SLRs (an FE2 and FG) yielded about 30 shots I really liked. Typically I would find that I was getting 5 or 6 out of the Fuji even after having taken 100 photos.
30 out of 72 shots were keepers?

5 or 6 out of 100 sounds more reasonable to me...

Old 12-02-2011   #73
viramati

used it the right situation the x100 is one of the best cameras out there. I use it continually in conjunction with my M9 when I want totally silent operation and autofocus shooting from the hip. If you learn how to use this camera it will become your best friend. like any camera it has it's limitations, learn them and appreciate the camera for what it can do that others can't. I really can't understand modern photographers who think their cameras should also make the tea and cook the breakfast. Have a look at my flickr and 500px work and you will see what this little gem can do. I love it

Last edited by viramati : 12-03-2011 at 12:01.