Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Any interest in a Pentax Auto 110?
Old 05-27-2012   #1
Oldskewl808

Any interest in a Pentax Auto 110?

I just picked up this little camera and it came in a kit case with quite a few accessories. Three lenses, filters, auto winder, etc.
I have no idea what kind of batteries it takes or anything else about it, but I read someplace that the lenses are pretty highly regarded for use with adapters on other camera systems?
I'm really not sure what to do with this thing right now. Anyone here into these?

Old 05-27-2012   #2
Greyscale

The Lomography Society is selling new 110 film, so that camera may have some life left in it.

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/n...ing-about-orca

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-27-2012   #3
dxq.canada

Ah, I had one of those ... but I found it more of a novelty than a practical camera due to the 110 film ... though it did take great pictures.

I am not sure if anyone there are any converters that allow more than just mounting the lens (ie aperture control).

Old 05-27-2012   #4
Spavinaw

It uses S76/357 or equivalent batteries. I shot mostly slides with mine back when Kodachrome and Ektachrome were available.

Old 05-27-2012   #5
Oldskewl808

Thanks, I may have to go get a couple of batteries to see if this thing springs to life. I tried a couple of batteries that fit (I think 675) and got a light in the finder but so far the shutter seems stuck with the winder able to freely move back and forth so I don't know if I can fix it or not.

need film...
Old 05-27-2012   #6
kuzano

need film...

As I recall, you need film in the camera for it to function properly.

Always fascinated by the general short sighted attitude about this being a toy or gimmick. In fact the frame size for 110 film is almost exact dimension of half frame of 35mm.

The Pentax 110auto was a very capable camera, and still can be. Film and processing are still available, although require a bit of hunting... GEEE pretty much like a lot of film cameras at this time.

The lenses are enjoying popularity with adaptors, and prices are pretty good as in high. The problem with the lenses is that they do not have apertures, so in use on EVIL cameras are general shot wide open for interesting bokeh.

Don't give it away... price it dearly. More interest in the whole kit, but many are interested only in the lens.

Re the battery... 357 I think, or whatever fits in the Olympus XA. I don't think you'll get proper operation without film loaded. Could be off on that.

Old 06-07-2012   #7
bjornkeizers

I just bought one of these cute little Auto's on Ebay. I expect prices to jump now that Lomo's selling the 110 film. So I might as well give it a go before they're priced out of reasonable range.

Can't wait to get it. It's complete with case, lens hood and the f 2.8 24mm lens. Paid 30 euros including shipping - definitely better then the 100+ euros that others are asking now that Lomo's involved with 110.

Should produces much better pictures then my current 110'er, the Holga Micro 110.

I don't expect it replace the other more controllable small cameras like the Minox 35. But if nothing else, it'll be a neat conversation piece to have on my desk.
Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110

Old 06-07-2012   #8
Steve M.

bjornkeizers, I once had a similar camera to yours. Mine was much cheaper though. I was even able to buy B&W 110 film at the time, and a camera shop on Market St. in San Francisco developed and made prints for me (so you know this was some time ago!). The photos were outstanding (at the small prints I got anyway). No meter, no nuthin, just that fixed aperture and one shutter speed. Wish I still had those photos.

Old 06-11-2012   #9
farlymac
PF McFarland

Got a Minolta 110 Zoom MkII last year to replace the one I sold quite a few years ago, but not sure I want to spend $22 a cartridge for film. Well, maybe once.

PF

Old 06-11-2012   #10
eurekaiv

$22? You can get some expired 110 on eBay for less then $10 usually.

Old 06-11-2012   #11
bjornkeizers

That's a silly price no matter how rare the film. Why not pick up a roll or two of the new Lomo 110 film? Don't know the US prices for these, but here they run less then 6 euros per roll. 24 exposure B&W, 100 ISO film.

Lomo's page mentions they want to produce some other 110 film as well, so who knows what they might come up with. I'd love some 110 slide personally.
Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110

Old 06-13-2012   #12
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkeizers View Post
That's a silly price no matter how rare the film. Why not pick up a roll or two of the new Lomo 110 film? Don't know the US prices for these, but here they run less then 6 euros per roll. 24 exposure B&W, 100 ISO film.

Lomo's page mentions they want to produce some other 110 film as well, so who knows what they might come up with. I'd love some 110 slide personally.
Well, the article I read quoted $22 as the US price for the Lomo film.

PF

Old 06-13-2012   #13
Greyscale

This person claims to be selling fresh ASA 400 color-negative 110 cartridges.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmsreload/

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-13-2012   #14
eurekaiv

Interesting... I have a few rolls of 110 stockpiled but I'll be interested to see if anyone gets some of this and what the results are like.

Old 06-13-2012   #15
Doug

Have fun, Oldskewl! I have two of the Auto 110 kits... the camera is incredibly pocketable but I recall looking for simple graphic compositions without a lot of fine detail, in order to work best with the resolution of the small film.

The film frame is 14 x 17mm, very nearly the same as micro four-thirds. So there's the adapted usage of the lenses, as they cover the µ43 frame just fine. By comparison, 35mm Half Frame is 18 x 24mm, about twice the area.

I developed my last cartridge of 110 Verichrome Pan in 2004... I used 16mm stainless reels in my Kindermann tank with fresh Diafine. I had years earlier used this film in a college photo class, very carefully making 8x10 enlargements (Beseler 23C, 30mm Minolta Rokkor enlarging lens) that raised no questions in class regarding sharpness or grain... it did that well.

Old 06-14-2012   #16
Oldskewl808

Just an update on this... I got new batteries for it and it still would not function. Then while I was fiddling with it, I happened to drop it a short distance on to the carpeted floor under me. When it hit the floor the shutter fired! Aha!!
After opening up the top and doing a little CLA with the help of a small swab of lighter fluid, the camera is working like a champ. Still need to get some film for it though.

Old 06-14-2012   #17
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hudson View Post
I've seen one of these kits (Pentax) for sale locally at a bargain price.
Is it worth the bother of adapting the lenses for use on a µ43 camera if there is no aperture control?

(This kit has the 18mm, 70mm and a 20-40mm zoom).
FWIW, the 70mm and 20-40mm zoom are uncommon and command pretty substantial prices on the market. The 18, 24, and 50mm were parts of a standard kit.

Old 06-15-2012   #18
bjornkeizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Well, the article I read quoted $22 as the US price for the Lomo film.

PF
Not sure where you read it, but buying a single roll in the Dutch store costs 6,90 euro. With the current exchange rate, that's 8,72 USD. Mind you, there's 19 percent tax included in it.

So I highly doubt the US store is selling it for $22 per roll. Definitely wouldn't be selling out like it did...

C.Hudson:

These Auto 110 lenses all have the same aperture of 2.8. That's actually quite fast for some of the available lenses. If you use mostly 2.8 or thereabouts, yeah, it should work. But the narrow depth of field would be quite limiting depending on your preferred shooting style.

Old 06-15-2012   #19
bjornkeizers

... And here's the Auto 110 that was in the mail.

Definitely a handsome little camera. Feels quite solid and well built for its size. Came loaded with ISO 200 24 exposure unknown brand film, so I have... 17 shots to go before I can try out the Orca

Haha, one of the few times where found film is a bit unwanted.

C.Hudson:

You're welcome! It's a nifty system. The aperture is actually inside the camera body. So as a result, all of these lenses were built with the exact same aperture of 2.8. Bonus: they are extremely small, light and CHEAP lenses (with the exception of the zoom one I read.)

Old 06-16-2012   #20
pdexposures

The thing that blows me away about these is how large and bright the viewfinder is. The first time I played with one I was expecting to have to squint and really try and focus. But it was really no different than using a crop sensor DSLR.

Leica M6- 35mm Cron V3 / 50mm Cron V3 / 90mm Elmar-C
Hasselblad 500cm - 80mm Planar
Nikon FM3a - 50mm 1.4 Nikkor

www.pdexposures.com <- Film camera reviews, podcast, flim news and general tom foolery