Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

Filter Question- Yellow and Polarizer
Old 10-30-2011   #1
Pirate
Guitar playing Fotografer

Filter Question- Yellow and Polarizer

With my black & white fotografy I use a Yellow filter on most of my cameras. I have never used a Polarizer with the Yellow filter.

Is this ok to use both together? Is there anything I should take into consideration when shooting with both filters?

Thanks

Leica II IIIc M3, Mamiya C2, Nikon F, F3P, F5, Hasselblad 500C/M, SW/C, Crown Graphic 4x5, Rollei 3.5F / SLX / Baby Gray, Sinar F and P 4x5, Polaroid 100 & 450 Land, Kodak Retina II and IIa, Fuji GW690II, Graphic View II 4x5.

http://dudewithad700.deviantart.com/
http://arolloffilm.blogspot.com/
My Top 10(12) Best!

Old 11-04-2011   #2
wolves3012

Since no-one's answered, I'll have a go. I see no reason not to use both, provided you realise that stacking filters *can* lead to vignetting and *does* increase the number of glass/air interfaces. As for what the effect will be with B&W and whether it's worthwhile, I'm not sure at all.
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG M, Z1
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2 + Kit lens

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."- Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-04-2011   #3
Snapper_uk

It would produce very dark skies I would imagine - I used to use a polarizer for b&w and sometimes the sky would appear almost black. Don't use a polarizer anymore though as they are a pain with RFs.

Old 11-04-2011   #4
KenR

I've never used a polarizer with B&W, only for color. For darker skies in B&W I use a red filter. Some people always use a yellow filter with B&W as that is said to "normalize" the way film sees blue skies and brings them to the same value as we see, but I generally only use the yellow filter when I think it is necessary to enhance the sky or differentiate the sky from something else (ie. a light colored building). I used red filters a lot in the past, but found that the increase in constrast that I was getting was more of a problem than the nice dark skies.

Old 11-12-2011   #5
Pirate
Guitar playing Fotografer

Thanks guys. I asked one of my film instructors this also and he said there is no problem with it. He mentions the vignetting also, but that's not a problem for my system. I'll have to post some shots when I finally shoot up a roll with the polarizer.

Leica II IIIc M3, Mamiya C2, Nikon F, F3P, F5, Hasselblad 500C/M, SW/C, Crown Graphic 4x5, Rollei 3.5F / SLX / Baby Gray, Sinar F and P 4x5, Polaroid 100 & 450 Land, Kodak Retina II and IIa, Fuji GW690II, Graphic View II 4x5.

http://dudewithad700.deviantart.com/
http://arolloffilm.blogspot.com/
My Top 10(12) Best!