Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 02-04-2012   #101
nobbylon

I bought a 101 with a 50 or was it 58? 1.4 on a whim around 5 years ago. In the 70's when I was in secondary school, I used to get Amateur Photographer every week and look over the ads for all those old school cameras. I badly wanted to buy a minolta but couldn't afford it. I was only 12 at the time.
After messing with it for a couple of weeks I sold it. Huge disappointment, build quality was superb but the viewfinder was dismal. Dim and hard to focus.
It's not just Minolta's though. I had the same feeling with Spotmatics. I of course had younger eyes back then but having been spoiled by using all the pro Nikon bodies and latterly the Leicaflex, these old minolta, pentax, canon, yashica etc cameras remain memories to be looked back on with rose tint specs.

Old 02-05-2012   #102
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawley View Post
I have read Internet reviews that criticise the sensiswitch. I have never had a problem with mine and I find it a useful feature. It well placed to activate easily while shooting. I like it because I can leave the power switch turned off if I want to walk around with the lense cap off. That way the meter isn't being constantly activated and there is less battery drain. If I want to take a shot, I just press the switch on the front of the body while shooting. This will only work in manual metering mode however. In automatic mode you must have the power switch turned on. The shutter on my XK also feels smoother than the XE7. I have no problem at all useing the XK at 1/15 sec. I did buy a new AE finder for my XK because I found that the aperture window in the viewfinder wasn't well illuminated in my old one. That may be something to watch out for.
Thanks for the additional info on the XK.

Some of my older pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813448...n/photostream/
Some of my even older pix: http://hassydan.tripod.com/

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 02-08-2012   #103
kyonthinh

Finally, I can join you guys after 10 days registering this forum in hell. Ok, I just want to say hi and hearing your experience with minolta.
Well, I lost a like new XM in ebay deutschland bidding, what a crazy crush ever. 160 to 361 euro in 1 minute.
Anyway, I am just return to my XD7 and Srt102, and seem like it's enough for me.

Old 02-08-2012   #104
Nokton48

Here is one more Minolta SRM story. Fred used to travel the country for CAR&DRIVER magazine. He told me he would stand in the center of the racetrack, and two 200mph racecars would come speeding by, within feet of him on either side. He would shoot continuously with the SRM and the legendary 21mm F2.8 MC Rokkor. He traveled in a fully-accessorized custom motorhome, and even had enlisted the services of the Chef who worked for Pink Floyd. He said he went through cases of 35mm Kodachrome, shipping it right out after each event. He never saw the finished chromes until they appeared in the magazine each month.

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 02-16-2012   #105
Nokton48

Hey Guys,

Look what I just bought, for when my Wife & I go out, and photograph the Herons and other birds, at the local parks. The Minolta 400mm F5.6 Apo Rokkor-X, and the matching Minolta Apo 2X Teleconverter. The price is good, and it's from a known dealer, that I have bought from before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280819056957...84.m1423.l2649

This will give me an 800mm F11 with high optical quality (no purple fringing). I am stoked to get it. 800mm should be plenty of telephoto pull, for getting tight closeups. This is going to be fun.

Old 02-17-2012   #106
21-135 Apo All Good

Nice! And with a tripod collar too! Wow! Good shooting!

DAve

Old 02-20-2012   #107
kyonthinh

Just got vivitar series 1 70-210 komine made 55 usd from ebay. When I see it in front of my eyes, I cant believe I have searched for it 3 months, and now it comes to me in very good condition with that price.
Should I cry now, or wait until I get my XD7/XD5 to complete my photography studying gear?

Old 03-13-2012   #108
Nokton48

Kyonthinh,
Congrats on your new gear

Sunday was warm and Sunny, so my Wife and I went birding. Great opportunity to wring-out my new 800mm F11 Apo-Rokkor. Took a Manfrotto Monopod, and a medium Manfrotto Ballhead. It worked very well, but I think I will prefer a heavy tripod for this arrangement. Afterwards we went for BBQ chicken wings and draft Guiness. It was a very productive trip.

Got some fantastic closeups of Blue Herons building their nests, on Fuji Presto 400 B&W. Used my ringneck-lizard covered SRT101. No issues at all with using this equipment. The new Apo lens is a delight.

Old 03-13-2012   #109
eurekaiv

I bought an SRT-101 with a 50 1.7 PF at the swap meet a few weeks ago for peanuts. I ran a roll of film through it and got some wonderful shots back. The body and meter were really a pleasure to use. I ended up passing it along to an APUGr for a few $ more then I paid just so I didn't start buying up a bunch of Minolta lenses to go along with it. Though frankly, I don't think I'll ever be able to pass up a reasonable deal on another—provided it's in good working order at least.

That Vivi Series 1 you got Kyonthinh, it will be a great lens. I'm always surprised at how little they sell for. I've found 3!! at local swap meets and have yet to pay more then $30 for one. I even got one for $10... gave it to a friend as a gift.

Old 03-13-2012   #110
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

My Minolta glass is now pulling double duty. I now have the adapter to use them on my E-PL1 and they are still being used on my Minolta bodies..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 03-15-2012   #111
kyonthinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
I bought an SRT-101 with a 50 1.7 PF at the swap meet a few weeks ago for peanuts. I ran a roll of film through it and got some wonderful shots back. The body and meter were really a pleasure to use. I ended up passing it along to an APUGr for a few $ more then I paid just so I didn't start buying up a bunch of Minolta lenses to go along with it. Though frankly, I don't think I'll ever be able to pass up a reasonable deal on another—provided it's in good working order at least.

That Vivi Series 1 you got Kyonthinh, it will be a great lens. I'm always surprised at how little they sell for. I've found 3!! at local swap meets and have yet to pay more then $30 for one. I even got one for $10... gave it to a friend as a gift.
Yeah, I know it will be a keeper.
I dont know what's wrong with this world, sometimes you see one for crazy low price, sometimes it's very high. But you must have luck all the times. And I see that many people who's forgotten what Minolta was at that time, with the price they sell Minolta lens.

Old 03-31-2012   #112
Nokton48

Very Nice, Clayne!

For those who might be interested, I found an original lovely Minolta brochure on the "MD" Rokkor-X era glass, on flikr. (Well, I know -I- am interested). I have the 35mm F2.8 MD, the 50mm F1.4 MD, and the 400mm APO/2X APO combo. Lots of good info in the brochure. Enjoy....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4255924...7623537958859/

my lovely srt 101
Old 03-31-2012   #113
robert blu
quiet photographer

my lovely srt 101

My first serious camera was this Minolta SRT 101 which I bought more or less 40 years ago, too many! The book on the background of the photo is not casual: in one of the first pages Annie says that the SRT 101 was her first camera. I like the idea we had something in common (unfortunately not the talent!). A few days ago I was feeling nostalgic and tried to use this camera again, but with a few problems...if interested you can read the story in my blog.here. It was a great camere and...it was a great time...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 03-31-2012   #114
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Picked up this black paint 101 off eBay. Got it cheap because of some issues but had them fix within a couple of hours..

srT101 by Colyn's fotografs, on Flickr

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 03-31-2012   #115
dee

I part exed an OM1 for an SRT 201 back when - could not get on with the tiny controls .
Bought one of the last clearance 101b which has had little use , and added a boxed 1st type 101 in chrome [ cross head screws ] plus black 101s with both cross head and later phillips screws .
Love 'em to bits !

Old 04-01-2012   #116
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I finally got one.........a MC Rokkor-X 50mm f/3.5 Macro lens.. I've had the 1:1 converter for years but no lens..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 04-01-2012   #117
rover

I just got the MD 50/3.5 Macro with with 1:1 ring. Can't wait to use it.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 04-01-2012   #118
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
I just got the MD 50/3.5 Macro with with 1:1 ring. Can't wait to use it.
I'll be using mine on my Minolta cameras as well as my Olympus E-PL1 micro 4/3 camera...

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 04-06-2012   #119
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Hi Robert,

I enjoyed looking at your blog. You should get your SRT overhauled, likely after forty years it will need a good cleaning inside. BTW I just received the Annie Leibovitz book you show in your digipix. Annie was also my hero growing up, so it will be fun to read about the early exploits.

I have always noticed that a few of my bodies are a bit "loose" when attached to certain lenses. I'm now sending the worst of those to "Mountain Dawg" out in Durango, Colorado. For $80 he will -completely- strip the body down, and clean everything thoroughly and completely adjust everything. If he does a good job (and I have every reason to believe I'll be delighted, with basically a like-new camera) I may have a few more bodies for him to do over time. And, he says there is a "flat spring" (type of assembly that I can see inside the lens mount) that can lose it's spring tension over time and heavy use. Easy to replace with a good one (he has plenty of good parts to pull), while doing the complete disassembly. He says you won't believe how clean and bright the viewfinder can be.

I have the original Minolta repair manual, but I'd rather have an expert do all this work for me.

Old 04-06-2012   #120
robert blu
quiet photographer

Thank you Nokton48. After Easter time I'll check how my old but not too old X-700 works. In case of any problem I'll bring both camera for a cleaning and checking in a appropriate laboratory (I'm very bad in manual operations!).
Have a nice Easter,
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 04-07-2012   #121
kyonthinh

Well, I've just got my two srt-102, but now I want one more. Is XD11/7 well worth the money when compare to srt 102?

Old 04-07-2012   #122
freeranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonthinh View Post
Well, I've just got my two srt-102, but now I want one more. Is XD11/7 well worth the money when compare to srt 102?
Yes! My XD7 is my go to film slr: solid and smooth with a great viewfinder. I bought an srt because it had the 50mm 1.4 lens attached - although I'm sure its a great camera, it does not have the same ergonomics as the XD and has never got a look in.

Old 04-07-2012   #123
kyonthinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
Yes! My XD7 is my go to film slr: solid and smooth with a great viewfinder. I bought an srt because it had the 50mm 1.4 lens attached - although I'm sure its a great camera, it does not have the same ergonomics as the XD and has never got a look in.
Thank you very much. I will wait in ebay for one.
And lol, I've just studied one lesson and it mentions Bratislava.

Old 04-07-2012   #124
pakeha

Not an SRT of course. Still in use,love that 1.4 Rokker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000017.jpg (31.7 KB, 34 views)

Old 04-11-2012   #125
kyonthinh

Well, glad you got them, I didnt use my macro lens since I've bought it.
How can the XD7 is so expensive now, more than 50 euro for one? Lol.