Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 07-07-2012   #161
steveniphoto

reposting from an unanswered thread i started in the SRT group on flickr.

so ive been using my 102 for a bit now and decided to throw on an old Sears flash so i can go shoot at night. i put it on and it won't fire (it works on my other cameras). i tried turning the switch from FP to X and that didn't make a difference.

what am i missing here?

Old 07-07-2012   #162
Corto

Try a PC cable. Or simply put the Shutter speed to 60.

Old 07-07-2012   #163
redisburning
-

58/1.2

Untitled by redisburning, on Flickr

maybe it's good that no one wants to buy it...

Old 07-08-2012   #164
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveniphoto View Post
reposting from an unanswered thread i started in the SRT group on flickr.

so ive been using my 102 for a bit now and decided to throw on an old Sears flash so i can go shoot at night. i put it on and it won't fire (it works on my other cameras). i tried turning the switch from FP to X and that didn't make a difference.

what am i missing here?
Try bending a metal paper clip, and using the tip of it to short out the flash cable. Make sure the flash will fire by itself, to rule out that possibility.

If there is a break in the flashcord itself, you can determine that, by hooking up the flash to the camera, setting the camera to "B", and holding the shutter open (or put on a locking cable release). Then, jiggle and move around the flash cord while still attached. If the flash fires when you jiggle the wire, then you have a defective (shorting) flashcord.

If that is not the problem, something (probably the flash contacts inside the body) will need some cleaning up.

Rokkor 50mm f1.7 is fantastic
Old 07-08-2012   #165
alfredian

Rokkor 50mm f1.7 is fantastic

Corto - you hit the mother lode of the entire Minolta gold mine. My first camera (1969) was an SRT101 with the PC-Rokkor (all metal & glass) version of the f1.7. An "odd" aperture at the time (standard was f2, "better" was f/1.4), the f/1.7 is fantastic. I'm still digging out & scanning/printing my B&W negs or Kodachromes from that era - amazing glass. And you are in "NE PA" - a trove of photogenic scenery. Looking forward to more of your Rokkorwerk.

Old 07-10-2012   #166
driver

Funny, I never really thought much of the SRT models until I actually shot with one. I just ran a roll of Walgreens 200 through my 101 and the whole experience was very good. I like the ergos, weight, match needle and never had a smoother wind of film back into the canister. It seems like the camera does just about everything well, not just a couple of really good strong points.
Even the mirror issue is working itself out with use - I'm sure this camera has been sitting idle for a while.
The 58mm 1.4 is fine for my recreational shooting.

SE Wisconsin is now in moderate drought conditions but don't worry, the weeds are doing just fine in my yard.

R1-05008-019A by Mike McGarty, on Flickr

Old 07-11-2012   #167
mynikonf2
...new old stock

Location: ...a resident of the Virgo Galactic Supercluster or thereabouts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayne View Post
Good stuff. Makes you realize how the majority of the gear talk is really noise, doesn't it? :-)
...that's for sure! You do not have to spend huge amounts of money trying to acquire the latest & greatest gear in-order to impress or express.
There is a quote that is attributed to an anonymous photog that goes like this: "Buying a Nikon does not make you a photographer. It simply makes you a Nikon owner." Works with whatever flavor you like.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 07-11-2012   #168
mynikonf2
...new old stock

Location: ...a resident of the Virgo Galactic Supercluster or thereabouts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
58/1.2

Untitled by redisburning, on Flickr

maybe it's good that no one wants to buy it...
...got that right!

Really enjoyed this image, thanks for posting it.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 07-28-2012   #169
Nokton48

Here is my new XK Body, with the new AE-S Prism Finder.

I really like my 200mm F3.5 MC Rokkor, which I bought for $30 recently. The lenshade section was very loose, and would not stay extended, which I found very annoying. I found another 200mm F3,5 MC Rokkor in my parts box, which had severe chromatic abberations (purple fringing). I discovered that the entire front casing of the lens just unscrews (left threaded) and in five minutes, I replaced the bad front end with a good one, from the other lens. So now I have an Excellent 200mm F3.5 MC that works great, and is as good as it can possibly be.

Glad this stuff is so easy to work on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (65.4 KB, 31 views)

Old 07-28-2012   #170
eric rose
ummmmm, filmmmm

I lost my SLR virginity to an Exacta many moons ago, but my first love was a Minolta SRT-101.

http://www.ericrose.com

http://yourbaddog.com

XD-11 Jones
Old 08-04-2012   #171
Tom33

XD-11 Jones

I have been collecting Maxxums for a while, but I just started in on the XD11/X700/X570 manual focus bodies and MC/MD lenses. No SRT body yet but I am loving the MF bodies and Rokkor lenses I have gathered so far. They seem so petite next to the Maxxum AF bodies and my A700 DSLR, I like how these cameras handle!

The XD11 bodies as I bought them:

And some results (no cla yet, just unboxed, loaded, switched lenses and go):

XD11 MD 50mm f1.4 Wide Open, Kodak UltraColor 100 exp. 03/2006

So it is safe to say I am getting Minolta MF GAS really bad!

Old 08-05-2012   #172
Nokton48

XD-11's are very cool, especially with the Auto Winders attached. I sold hundreds of them when I worked at one of the local Minolta dealers here in town. You will need an MD lens, if you want to use shutter priority. The shutter release button is pretty neat, too, works like an elevator button.

Aperture priority, Shutter Priority, or Manual. Great cameras.

Old 08-05-2012   #173
Field

It isn't heat sensitive. It is electrical contact. You bridge the gap between the two metal spots.

XE-7 vs. XD 11
Old 08-05-2012   #174
Tom33

XE-7 vs. XD 11

Was schlepping around on line for a black XD11 and came across a real nice XE-7. I am pretty sure the XE is a bit bigger and heavier, but it looks like it could also be a sweet 135 SLR also. I have not held or used an XE-7 though.

Is there anyone here that can comment on the two bodies compared?

Thanks!

Tom

Old 08-05-2012   #175
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom33 View Post
Is there anyone here that can comment on the two bodies compared?

Thanks!

Tom
The XE-7 is both bigger and heavier. The only thing you need to know about the XE-7 is to check the meter needle to make sure it is not jumpy..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Jumpy?
Old 08-05-2012   #176
Tom33

Jumpy?

Howdy Colyn, I'm right up the road from you, across I-20 over by Lakeside...

What would a jumpy meter needle indicate on the XE-7? I would assume issues with the metering system, but I hate assumptions - I guess it's an engineer thing.

Of course I don't need an XE-7, I'm just having GAS for MD Minoltas!

Tom

Old 08-05-2012   #177
Field

It is bigger. But it is also a great camera. You won't find a smoother film advance.

Old 08-05-2012   #178
Nokton48

At one time, the XE-7 was Minolta's midrange camera. I have one myself, and it is also a great camera. I had mine overhauled in 2005, and the technician said he had to be extra careful cleaning the interior viewing system, due to the circuit board. It does tend to eat batteries, if you forget to turn it off.

The XK was the top-of-the-line at the time, and the XD-5 was the economy model.

Hmmmm...
Old 08-05-2012   #179
Tom33

Hmmmm...

So, not to dis' anyone's SLR, do you guys think the XD-11 is a better body than the XE-7? I have held and used an XK, and it was very cool but not easy for me like the XD-11 seems to be. OTOH, the XE looks very similar in control layout to the XD and it is only a little more mass.

I guess I gotta pay to know, really... but are there any known weak areas in the XE design and build?

Thanks for your info!

Tom

Old 08-05-2012   #180
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Howdy Colyn, I'm right up the road from you, across I-20 over by Lakeside...

What would a jumpy meter needle indicate on the XE-7? I would assume issues with the metering system, but I hate assumptions - I guess it's an engineer thing.

Of course I don't need an XE-7, I'm just having GAS for MD Minoltas!

Tom
I can almost throw a rock at ya from here in West Fort Worth..

A jumpy meter neddle usually indicates a dirty contact which can be cleaned during service. If it isn't too bad readings should be fairly accurate but if the neddle won't settle down you could have inaccurate readings..

The MD and MC Rokkor lens are some of the finest made..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 08-05-2012   #181
redisburning
-

either of you guys going to go to the Art of Photography meetup on saturday? If there are going to be some Rokkor guys there I might be convinced to bring my Minolta rather than my Leica.

Old 08-05-2012   #182
Tom33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
either of you guys going to go to the Art of Photography meetup on saturday? If there are going to be some Rokkor guys there I might be convinced to bring my Minolta rather than my Leica.
Don't know about this meet, but would like to hear more so maybe I can get there. Where and when and who?

Tom

Old 08-05-2012   #183
redisburning
-

Quote:
Don't know about this meet, but would like to hear more so maybe I can get there. Where and when and who?

Tom
Saturday morning, 10am at the Dallas farmer's market.

search up art of photography podcast on youtube.

Old 08-08-2012   #184
Tom33

This sounds pretty cool. I think I will try to get there if I don't get snared (SNAFUed) at work... I will bring Rokkor glass... on an XD-11 I think! Has an exact meetup location at the market been determined? Not announced at the AOP FLICKr group.

Tom

XE-7 and MD 85mm f2.0 Inbound!
Old 08-10-2012   #185
Tom33

XE-7 and MD 85mm f2.0 Inbound!

This GAS is getting BAD, then KEH sends email about the big weekend sale...

So I go to the website and the EX+ XE-7 is still waiting for me, only now they have an MD Rokkor-X 85mm lens - both marked down.

So I snagged 'em! Now the wait begins, Christmas is on Wednesday next!

Cheers,

Tom

More Minolta SRT Stuff.
Old 08-13-2012   #186
Nokton48

More Minolta SRT Stuff.

Found this original "Copy Stand II" with the original box, instructions, plastic cover, etc. Looks like it has never been used. Truly useful to have this.

And the TR-1 Minolta Mini-Tripod, from the SRT-202 era. Also useful and very usuable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (46.9 KB, 17 views)

Old 08-15-2012   #187
Tom33

Santa (FEDEX) came today and delivered my XE-7 and MD 85mm/f4 lens. These were at KEH graded EX+, and let me just say these both look new, I cannot find any cosmetic or functional issue with either. Also dropped me off a late MD Rokkor-X 200mm/f4 New In Box!!! that I stumbled on. I am pumped!!! Got the 85 on an XD-11 body and my MC 58mm/f1.4 on the XE-7 and Portra loaded in both, film test upcoming. I am ready for the weekend, and I feel better as my GAS pain has subsided, for now anyway.

WOO HOO!!!

Best, Tom

Last edited by Tom33 : 08-15-2012 at 17:25. Reason: grammar fixed...

Old 08-18-2012   #188
Nokton48

About a month ago, I made the decision to sell my Canon rangefinder collection (all one big sale to one party), and build up, completely, my Minolta SRT collection. I am enjoying my SRT's (old friends) and the extra money (quite a bit) has gone into our "emergency fund".

Now I am getting certain Minolta items overhauled. My new XK body, AE & AE-S Finders, are now at Essex Camera Repair, in New Jersey, for a complete CLA. My second black SRT101 (with ringneck lizard from Cameraleather), my very brassed SRT101B, my 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor, and my Minolta 2X Apochromatic Tele-Converter, are visiting Greg Stelz's spa out in Durango, Colorado, for CLA and total-body rebuilds. And seven of my Minolta Rokkor lenses, the 35/1.8, 28/3.5, 35/2.8, (2) 50/1.4's, 85/1.7, and 100/2.5 are now on their way to John Titterington in Kansas, for complete CLA's.

The Minoltas do a fine job for me and do everything that I require at this time.

Old 08-18-2012   #189
Tom33

Schweet. You have a nice set of Minolta kit there!

I have been corresponding with Mr. Titterington about a CLA/overhaul on one of my black XD-11 bodies that isn't quite ready for prime time, and I will have him replace the shrunken leatherette with brown croc leather I have just received from Aki-Asahi at the same time. Just have to get middle daughter moved in to her dorm room and tuition paid up first!

Have you had Mr. Titterington work on your equipment before? I bought a X-700 body from him that works very well, but I might just send a Rokkor along with the XD-11... he has a very good reputation as best I can determine.

I am lovin' the XE-7 this weekend! It is verrrrry smooth!

Best,

Tom

Old 08-18-2012   #190
Nokton48

Quote:
Have you had Mr. Titterington work on your equipment before? Tom

Nope, but I see he has a solid, 25-year track record. Figured I might as well get everything fixed that needs fixing, all at once, and be done with it.

He quoted me $30-$40 per Rokkor lens, pending examination (of course!)

A deal I can hardly refuse.

Enjoy your XE-7. Love mine. Post some photos with it

Old 08-18-2012   #191
Tom33

I can testify that John Titterington did a great job on the X-700 body I bought, and that he is very responsive to the email inquiry I sent about the XD-11 CLA. I will mail the XD to him next week. His quoted charges are very reasonable, and he seems like one of the good guys!

I will post images from the XE-7 as soon as I finish the roll and get it processed, should be in the next day or three.

Old 08-18-2012   #192
Tom33

I dropped a roll of film for processing last weekend, got the photographs back today. These were taken using a chrome XD-11 and an MC Rokkor 58mm f1.4 lens on a Saturday morning walk around my neighborhood. Around here ya gotta go early since it hits 100 about 11:30 a.m. most days in August! Film is Kodak UltraColor 100 that expired 03/2006, images are straight out of the scanner.

My Neighborhood

Neighbors

Neighbors Redux

Best,

Tom

I'll report here what happens with Mr. Titterington and my lenses. Seems like a great
Old 08-19-2012   #193
peppard

I'll report here what happens with Mr. Titterington and my lenses. Seems like a great

I can testify to Mr. Titterington ability and skill. Last year I had him do a CLA on a SRT-101 body that I had bought new in 1969. It came back like brand new, with a very smooth and silky winder, new mirror dumper , new seals, all lubed up and adjusted to specs. I got the comera back in 2wks and the cost was $ 75.00. I am very pleased by his work and I highly recommend him.

Old 08-19-2012   #194
kyonthinh

I've just got my hand on one x700 set, which I think belonged to one Photographer in the past, and I'm lucky too because I've found 135mm 2.8 md rokkor 4/4 for portrait. Now I can live happily forever.

Old 08-19-2012   #195
Tom33

Good to see the Minolta Nation is alive and well, and seems to be growing! Here is a photo I like, got it back in April with my Maxxum 7 wearing the 24-105mm Zoom AF, Fujichrome Velvia 50:

Japanese Maple in the Garden

Best,

Tom

Old 08-20-2012   #196
kyonthinh

Actually, it's your fault Nokton, you make me have GAS.
P/S:Can I have that link too?

Old 08-21-2012   #197
kyonthinh

Thanks Nokton.
Hmm strange, I have just bought an auto winder D for my XD7. When I attach it to my camera, it's leveling film auto, but I cant shoot, the LED is also out.

Old 08-21-2012   #198
ath

Does the winder turn if you short the golden pin to the mounting screw?

Old 08-21-2012   #199
kyonthinh

The winder is active all the time, but my camera is like broken. It's only work in B and O mode (manual mode). When I put them all apart, the camera is back to action with fully auto mode.
I have test with my other black XD7 and it's seem fine.

Old 08-24-2012   #200
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynikonf2 View Post
You do not have to spend huge amounts of money trying to acquire the latest & greatest gear in-order to impress or express.
This statement by mynikonf2 sums up one of the main reasons why I am enjoying my Minolta system so much.

Here is yesterday's email from John Titterton: http://www.geocities.com/~titterington/camera-repair/

Dan,

I have looked at the lenses and this is what I have found:

28mm F2.5 Minolta MC W Rokkor-SI (has sticky blades) $35

35mm F1.8 Minolta MC W Rokkor-HH (has sticky blades) $40

35mm F2.8 MC W Rokkor-X HG (has sticky blades) $30

(2) 50mm F1.4 MC Rokkor-PF (both need CLA) $30 each

85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor-PF (has sticky blades) $40

100mm F2.5 MC Tele-Rokkor-PF (needs CLA) $30

Return postage via Priority insured mail $22

Please let me know what you think.

John

Makes sense to me to fix everything that needs work in one big shipment. Prices are great IMO and worth every penny.