Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 12-18-2014   #481
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

Had my new to me 303-b about a week next Wednesday. 1st roll not processed yet. Had the Vivitar 28mm 1:2.5 auto wide-angle mounted up in front. Restocked with Kodak 400 hi-def. and a lens change to my MC w. ROKKOR-SG 1:3.5 f=28mm. 3rd version I think.
All seems well so far, always liked the heft of the classic SLR's. Ten or twelve years ago my first "camera when I came back to my hobbie it was a XGM (yup still got it) that got me clicking again. Never went digital but it's the rangefinders and older SLR's that keeps me interested. Had some of the Auto's but its the solid heavy metal, that solid shutter sound, that makes it solid fun for me.

Old 12-19-2014   #482
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

I found another MC 58mm f/1.4 for $20 last week. In good order after a clean. Have one for each of my SRT101s now.

Old 12-19-2014   #483
Argenticien
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
Do all SR-T 202s have the Acute-Matte screen?

How else do they differ from the 102? No MLU, right?
We can't even make that generalization about MLU. According to the Rokkor files entry on the 102, not all 102 bodies had MLU. Mine is living proof, as it lacks the feature. So if you're keen on MLU, and buying a 102, be sure you can either ask the seller whether it has MLU, or see the MLU actuator in an auction photo. (I didn't particularly care when I bought mine, but you need to care if you're going to do something unusual like astrophotography or mounting the 21mm that Dan mentioned in Post #402.)

--Dave

Old 12-19-2014   #484
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Am I correct in recalling that some of the last 101s did not have the mirror lock up system as well? I believe I have seen a couple of examples on eBay which did not have it.
Cheers
Brett

Old 12-19-2014   #485
CMur12

Brett, here is what it says at the www.rokkorfiles.com :

"Additionally, towards the end of the SR-T 101 the mirror lock-up feature was removed, presumably at the same time that it was removed on the SR-T 102. Models of the SR-T 101 without mirror lock-up are relatively rare."

The SR-T 101 was made from 1966 until 1975. The SR-T 102 was only made from 1973 - 1975.

I don't know how accurate all of the information in the Rokkor Files is, but it appears much better researched that anything else I have found on the 'net.

- Murray

Old 12-19-2014   #486
Nokton48

Certain parts are interchangable between models, as well. Greg Stelz has mentioned on Flikr that he has built custom hot-rodded SRT's with particular feature sets, by mixing and matching parts from different SRT models.

Some of my older pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813448...n/photostream/
Some of my even older pix: http://hassydan.tripod.com/

"Cars and Guns have gotten me in trouble. Cameras haven't" -- Jim Marshall

Old 12-19-2014   #487
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Brett, here is what it says at the www.rokkorfiles.com :

"Additionally, towards the end of the SR-T 101 the mirror lock-up feature was removed, presumably at the same time that it was removed on the SR-T 102. Models of the SR-T 101 without mirror lock-up are relatively rare."

The SR-T 101 was made from 1966 until 1975. The SR-T 102 was only made from 1973 - 1975.

I don't know how accurate all of the information in the Rokkor Files is, but it appears much better researched that anything else I have found on the 'net.

- Murray
Thanks Murray.
I've had a quick look on eBay, and here is one I have just found that is definitely marked as a 101, without the mirror lock up button.
Cheers
Brett

Old 12-20-2014   #488
Nokton48

I feel like I have found the Holy Grail.

I've been contacted by a gent who has a MINT never-used boxed 250 Exposure Back for the Minolta SR-M. I have negotiated a price, and it's a done deal. After ten years, I have found the most difficult to find accessory for this system. I have two SR-M's, so this item will be used by me. I have a freezer full of 100 foot rolls just waiting for this thing.

His father was an award winning press photographer in Dublin Ireland, and wanted it to go to someone who will use it, rather than just selling it on.

Stay tuned. I am stoked.

Old 12-20-2014   #489
CMur12

Congratulations, Nokton48. That's an incredible find!

- Murray

Old 12-20-2014   #490
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I feel like I have found the Holy Grail.

I've been contacted by a gent who has a MINT never-used boxed 250 Exposure Back for the Minolta SR-M. I have negotiated a price, and it's a done deal. After ten years, I have found the most difficult to find accessory for this system. I have two SR-M's, so this item will be used by me. I have a freezer full of 100 foot rolls just waiting for this thing.

His father was a press photographer in Dublin Ireland, and wanted it to go to someone who will use it, rather than just selling it on.

Stay tuned. I am stoked.
That is great Nokton48!! Enjoy it.

I have one of those on one of my Pentax LX cameras. If you think using up a roll of 36 is tough, you ain't seen nothing yet!@!

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 12-20-2014   #491
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

What luck! Let us know when you do some processing. Thats a LOAD of picks.

250 Exposure Film Back Minolta SR-M.
Old 01-13-2015   #492
Nokton48

250 Exposure Film Back Minolta SR-M.

After three weeks of waiting, the SR-M 250 Exposure Film Back is here, in my hands. Not as heavy as I thought it might be.

Came with original instruction book, two empty cartridges inside it, original box, in complete and completely unused state.

Will need some new foam rubber applied to the inside, will need to cut a template to get that right. And load some Eastman 5222 Double-X 35mm movie film, and I will be set.

Shown with my freshly-overhauled (by John Titterton) 35mm F2.8 MC Rokkor, one of my favorite lenses. I think of it as my replacement for my Leitz Summaron which I sold off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (54.2 KB, 25 views)

Old 01-17-2015   #493
steveclem

You must have quite an archive of Minolta SRT kit, congratulations.

Old 01-18-2015   #494
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclem View Post
You must have quite an archive of Minolta SRT kit, congratulations.
Hey Steve,

Thanks again. Yes I have built up quite an SRT kit over the years.
Has been fun and I use it quite a bit. It's really working for me.

My wife has a rule, which I don't have any problem with. As long as I use what I collect, all is good. I really try to keep to that, and keep it in focus.

Minolta stuff is almost always usuable right off the bat, or can be repaired or replaced quickly without difficulties or major expense. I have not been disappointed overall, although like most photographers, I do have a junk box filled with various pieces and parts for future use.

Old 01-18-2015   #495
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I just picked up a Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 with a srT-102. Stole it for $10 since film is no longer available so says the flea market seller..

The body shows usage but the lens has no visible wear or damage..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 01-18-2015   #496
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
I just picked up a Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 with a srT-102. Stole it for $10 since film is no longer available so says the flea market seller..

The body shows usage but the lens has no visible wear or damage..
Wow, that's a bargain on my favorite SR-T!

Is the lens the late MC Rokkor PG, with the rubberized focusing ring?

Congratulations on a great find!

- Murray

Old 01-18-2015   #497
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Wow, that's a bargain on my favorite SR-T!

Is the lens the late MC Rokkor PG, with the rubberized focusing ring?

Congratulations on a great find!

- Murray
Yes it is. I was a bit surprised at the excellent condition coming from a flea market..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Another View of SR-M 250 Exposure Film Back.
Old 01-24-2015   #498
Nokton48

Another View of SR-M 250 Exposure Film Back.

Hey Guys,

Here is everything I received. This is complete, as in, how you would buy it from the camera store (back in the seventies).
According to my Minolta Product Catalog dated 06/72, this was catalog number 8114-100 and cost $275 (that was a lot of money back then).
I have lusted after one of these things, since I was sixteen years old. It is quite rare.

I also have the Minolta Film Loader and seven or eight extra film cartridges.

It works fine by using the manual film transport on the SR-M, but I suspect, that the electrical contacts are not properly lining up, due to the original interior foam rotting away over time. So I will replace that as time permits.

And the long film back cover will need new light seals, as well. Nothing major, but a fairly big project (very long strips of foam) that I will proceed with, when it warms up around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (46.4 KB, 19 views)

21mm MC Rokkor Winter Wonderland Shootout.
Old 01-26-2015   #499
Nokton48

21mm MC Rokkor Winter Wonderland Shootout.

Hello Again,

The winter blizzard that has buried the Northeastern United States has turned my backyard into a winter wonderland. Today I am out with my Griptac-covered Black Mint early SRT-101, just back from Greg Stelz, and loaded with Eastman XX movie film. Also just back from Greg, is my 21mm F2.8 MC Rokkor, which had a very floppy loose front end. I worked on it on four seperate occasions, but could not tighten it up sufficently. Sent it to Greg and it's now like a new lens (except for the cosmetics). Did a shootout, 21mm is one of my favorite focal lengths, shooting duplicate frames, with the 21mm F2.8 MC Rokkor, and the 21mm F4 MC Rokkor, which was overhauled by John Titterton last year.

Should be interesting to compare the frames. I really enjoy using both lenses, they are quite different in operation. I used the Yashica 21mm SLR finder with the 21mm F4.5, as I prefer that to the original Minolta one. The lenshood for the 20mm F2.8 MD Rokkor fits the 21mm f4 like it was made for it and functions perfectly on that lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (48.7 KB, 26 views)

Selfie with SRT101, Bournemouth. 1971
Old 01-26-2015   #500
lawrence

Selfie with SRT101, Bournemouth. 1971

A somewhat younger me with SRT101 and W Rokkor 35mm f2.8. Great camera that sadly got stolen in 1974.

Old 01-28-2015   #501
Nokton48

Here are some Minolta items, freshly overhauled by John Titterton. I tend to send repairs out in January and Febuary, so I have them back by the spring thaw.

My well-worn Minolta XE-7 did not need any parts, which is good, cause John has run out of a lot of them. Contacts were cleaned and that fixed the problem of the shutter locking open, and staying open. Now I really love this camera, a wonderful backup to my Minolta XK Shown with the 500mm F8 MD Rokkor, a great combo for grab-n-go wildlife shooting in my backyard. The autoexposure XE-7 works just great with the fixed aperture 500mm mirror lens. I'm thinking of covering the XE-7 and XK with dark griptac....

Also back from John, my mint SRT-202 covered with dark Griptac from Cameraleather. This camera I bought from the RFF classifieds at the beginning of this thread. It has the Minolta acute matte screen, and fresnel/rangefinder wedge combo that works great with certain of my lenses. Shown with my 35mm F2.8 MC Rokkor, this lens has been hard to find in decent shape. John did a wonderful job cleaning the extremely greasy blades, it functions like new now. I highly recommend John and he is extremely quick on turnaround. Usually just a few days, how can you beat that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (29.5 KB, 64 views)

More On SRT Diopters.
Old 01-30-2015   #502
Nokton48

More On SRT Diopters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
I just recently got a SRT101 and find it very difficult to focus using the microprism. By contrast I have no problems with a olympus OM2 or my Pentax 67. Are the screens on this camera user replaceable? Is there anything I can do to make it slightly easier to focus this thing?

I guess my eyes are getting old or for whatever reason, but I do notice it is harder to sharply focus on the groundglass in my cameras. I dug out my supply of SRT Diopters, and tried them all with the lens focused at infinity, as the directions recommend. I decided that the VPN #3 works best, now I can see the individual grains in the screen, which is about as good as it gets. I also have a few of the VPN #1 screen, which also improves things greatly for me. So my goal will be to put a diopter into the back of each body. I can usually find these VPN diopters for $5-$10 each from the usual sources.

Here you can see the VPN #3 installed in my ringneck lizard SRT101. No viewfinder cutoff at all (even with my eyeglasses), it's still high eyepoint, and comfortable to look through. But now the viewfinder and screen is really SHARP.

Also, I always use the Minolta Eyecup when metering. I have noticed that under certain circumstances stray light can enter the eypiece and slightly affect the meter readings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (40.8 KB, 23 views)

Old 02-07-2015   #503
Nokton48

Here is my present collection of Minolta SRT eyepiece diopters.
Since I have many bodys, and a number of diopter strengths,
I marked the back of each diopter with grey nailpolish (borrowed
from my wife) so I can determine what strength of diopter is
attached to any particular body, without having to remove it
from the camera body.

I have four of the VPN #1 (+.05), one VPN #3, and two of the VPN #4.
Interestingly, any of these seem to be a great improvement at this point.
I'm still deciding which will be the most useful, and this may change, as I
get new eyeglasses very soon. I have a number of additional SRT diopters
presently on their way to me.

Not the most exciting Minolta accessories, but as my eyes age, particularly
useful to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (38.0 KB, 13 views)

Old 02-08-2015   #504
CMur12

Can you still use an anglefinder if you have a diopter eyepiece attached?

When I shoot handheld, I shoot at eyelevel, and I wear my glasses. When I shoot on a tripod, I tend to use an anglefinder, and the eyepiece can be adjusted to the photographer's vision.

- Murray

Old 02-08-2015   #505
Nokton48

Quote:
Can you still use an anglefinder if you have a diopter eyepiece attached?
I do have an anglefinder, but I will have to find it.
So I will dig it out, try it and report back.

Old 02-12-2015   #506
Nokton48

Scan-150212-0001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Made from open car window. Minolta SRT-101, 85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor, Eastman 5222 Double-X film, developed in ADOX Borax MQ Developer, scanned on Minolta Scan Dual II.

Old 02-12-2015   #507
Nokton48

Scan-150212-0003 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vanilla Creme Puffs at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village. Some good German Beer, A German Bratwurst, and one of these bad boys, and I am all -good-.

Minolta SRT-101, 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor wide-open. Eastman 5222 Double-X film. Developed in straight Microdol-X Developer. Scanned on Minolta DiImage II scanner.

Old 02-12-2015   #508
Nokton48

Scan-150212-0004 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Blue Heron takes off. Minolta SRT-101, 400mm f5.6 MD Apo Rokkor-X handheld, Fuji Neopan 400 film developed in straight Microdol-X developer. Scanned on Minolta DiImage II scanner.

Old 02-22-2015   #509
Dguebey

French President François Mitterrand did not forget its Minolta when going to see 1985 Tour de France.
A video from National Institute of Audiovisual (massive french TV archives) :
http://www.ina.fr/video/CAB88034479

Last edited by Dguebey : 02-22-2015 at 04:21. Reason: grammar

Old 03-15-2015   #510
WJJ3

P1010409 by WilliamJosephJefferson, on Flickr

Old 03-16-2015   #511
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Nice early black dial SRT-101!

At the last camera show I was at, one of the dealers was lamenting about selling his 35-70mm MD Rokkor. He used it for ten years and apparently it has some very special qualities.

Old 03-16-2015   #512
WJJ3

Quote:
Nice early black dial SRT-101!

At the last camera show I was at, one of the dealers was lamenting about selling his 35-70mm MD Rokkor. He used it for ten years and apparently it has some very special qualities.
Hey thanks! I just picked this kit up along with a MC 50mm 1.7. I used a chrome SRT 101 in high school and have been looking for a black one for a while now. This one is really clean. The shop told me 1/1000th and 1/500 are running a tad slow due to lack of use, and confirmed the meter is spot on using a SR43 and 1.35v adapter.

I have yet to put any film through it. But from what I have seen both the 35-70 and 50/1.7 are very nice

This is how I roll . . . . .
Old 05-05-2015   #513
driver

This is how I roll . . . . .

. . . . . just want to "bump" one of the best ever threads here on RFF. Peace out

Old 05-06-2015   #514
Nokton48

Scan-150212-0002 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Birding at Pickerington Ponds.
Minolta SR-M, 400mm F5.6 MD Apo-Rokkor, Double-X movie film.

Old 05-28-2015   #515
Addy101

The Nikon Appreciation Society has the F2 tribute, the F3 tribute and The F6! Post your photos here threads, Canonites have the Canon FD pride threads - but it seems we're the only ones who love our cameras

A picture taken with my beloved XD5:

Minolta XD5 | Minolta MC 50/1.4 PG | Agfa APX100

Old 05-28-2015   #516
farlymac
PF McFarland

Having played around with the X-700, X-570, and X-370 then sort of abandoning them (too many other camera platforms that drew my interest), I finally picked up an SRT-101. It had a fault in the mirror mechanism, so I got another one with the MC 1.4/58. Have to put seals in it first before i can use it though. Then I'll contribute photos to this thread.

In the meantime: See post #2434 http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...=42442&page=98

PF

Old 05-28-2015   #517
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Scan-150212-0003 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vanilla Creme Puffs at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village. Some good German Beer, A German Bratwurst, and one of these bad boys, and I am all -good-.

Minolta SRT-101, 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor wide-open. Eastman 5222 Double-X film. Developed in straight Microdol-X Developer. Scanned on Minolta DiImage II scanner.
Gotta hit that place up again if I ever get back to Ohio.

PF

Old 05-28-2015   #518
Wulfthari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post
The Nikon Appreciation Society has the F2 tribute, the F3 tribute and The F6! Post your photos here threads, Canonites have the Canon FD pride threads - but it seems we're the only ones who love our cameras

A picture taken with my beloved XD5:

Minolta XD5 | Minolta MC 50/1.4 PG | Agfa APX100
As soon as I put my hands on a MX7 or a Leicolta R6 I promise I'll flood the thread with my bad pics.
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 06-05-2015   #519
Nokton48

I have finally gotten around to addressing an annoying issue with my beloved SRT-100. A piece of black light trapping material keeps coming unclipped and drops down into the film gate, producing a shadow on the film. It is an intermittent problem I cannot fix myself.

Sent several emails back and forth to John Titterton, and he says it's a common problem with early Minoltas. In fact Minolta changed the design on later cameras. Good info and so he will be fixing this one.

This camera has sentimental value to me and works beautifully otherwise.

John's email: [email protected]

Old 06-15-2015   #520
Nokton48

My favorite camera body; My Minolta SRT-100 is back from John Titterton. That was -quick-. Total cost -- $50 plus shipping. What can I say?
He is the -MAN-.

He taped the offending "light shield" to my invoice. Nice touch. Imagine that thingee periodically dropping down into the optical path (inside the mirror box) and creating a shadow on the top part of the film. What a pain. Complete CLA, all good now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (12.0 KB, 12 views)