Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Cosina Voigtlander Bessa

Voigtlander 25mm f4 Color Skopar M
Old 08-31-2011   #1
kennethcooke

Voigtlander 25mm f4 Color Skopar M

I was recently recommended by my friend at Classic Camera in London to try out the above lens and bravely, of foolishly I used it for the first time to record a friends wedding in B&W film. The digital guy who also covered his wedding was a Vogue Photographer, no pressure there then. It turns out his new wife works for Vogue so she had access to a tame photographer.

Anyway, to the lens. Andy said it was good and certainly I was very impressed as indeed was my friend. OK it's not a Leica lens but by the same token it is not the same GBP as a Leica lens. For what I paid, which included a 25mm CV viewfinder as my camera does not have 25mm frame lines it was really very impresive and as it does not break the bank I would strongly recommend it to the group if they have a need for that focal length. I cannot tell you how it performs with colour as I have not used any since the demise of Kodachrome

With Regards Kenneth

Old 08-31-2011   #2
tajart

this is one of my favorite lenses. i foolishly sold my thread mount version...and finally settled on the m-mount version which i use on an m8. a couple examples are posted over at: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...ml#post1463614

Old 09-02-2011   #3
tajart

In addition to the image quality it renders, I love how compact it is. The thread mount version on leica thread mounts make such a great film setup.

Old 09-02-2011   #4
newspaperguy

Let me add my agreement to this... the CV25/4 is a terrific lens that needs no
apologies. There is nothing else on the market that can produce any better images
in it's category... and isn't that what this is all about?

And yes, I've used mine on Barnacks, Canons, Bessas and my CL.

Preview my new children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

See the hardbound edition at Amazon.com,
it's perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old.

Old 09-02-2011   #5
MISH

I love this lens (LTM) and feel the click stop focus is a wonderful thing as i can use it on
my standard (no rangefinder)

maybe not the greatest example but something I printed recently

self portrait with my daughter, holding the camera at arms length

also check out my avatar

Last edited by MISH : 09-02-2011 at 19:29.

Old 09-03-2011   #6
MISH

I made the mistake of selling mine because I did not seem to be using it much and wanted to fund a different lens I thought I needed more. I quickly realized that I had to purchase another one.

Old 09-03-2011   #7
Richard G

Great Lens, especially so compact. Putting it on an M5 is like wearing no lens at all. I have had some flare, even with the hood. I don't use a filter. The ZM is better, but more than twice the price and quite big.

Old 09-03-2011   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

This is my all time favorite CV lens.
With the EP-2, it is a 50mm/4 with additional depth of field, and on film cameras, it is a wonderful wide angle lens with hardly any distortion. It is very well built, and it is compact. I have the LTM version, so it also fits cameras with LTM.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-03-2011   #9
spartacus

Ditto on everyone's comments. I foolishly sold my LTM version last year and wish I hadn't.

Old 09-03-2011   #10
Turtle

Quality is outstanding (if you get a decent one), its tiny and affordable. IMHO its technically a step ahead of the 21.

Great street lens for getting in close and zone/hyperfocal focusing.

Old 09-03-2011   #11
PMCC
Late adopter.

+1. Aces on a small body (CLE, Bessa L or T) for street. LTM version beats M version because of click stops.

Old 09-11-2011   #12
jazzwave

What about Skopar 21/4, is this simmiliar lens but wider?

"It is significant that the greatest creative photographers use simple, basic equipment..." Ansel Adams, The Camera.

Old 09-11-2011   #13
sanmich

The skopar feels great, but I have troubles getting good results from a 25mm...
I love the cs 28mm though.

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 09-12-2011   #14
Turtle

In my experience the 21-P is similar but not as good in the corners when comparing good samples of both, but it is still very good. Outwardly the two are identical.

Old 09-25-2011   #15
gb hill

25/4 is a good wide angle portrait lens too. Is there any significant difference in the LTM & the M mount? Mine is the LTM.

Last edited by gb hill : 09-25-2011 at 10:56.

Old 09-25-2011   #16
MCTuomey

Sean Reid finds the CV 25/4 SC right up there with the Leica 24/3.8 and ZM 25/2.8, excellent company for a lens costing a fraction of what one pays for Leica/Zeiss.

Bill Pierce's "photographer's proposition": I saw something wonderful, let me show it to you.

Leica and Zeiss M
Fuji X-T1 GX680 F30
Canon EOS
Minolta Autocord

My Flickr

Old 09-26-2011   #17
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Lenin's head - sculpture in Richmond BC. Not shown is Mrs Mao balancing on his head!
VC 25f4 in M-mount. Leica M2, TriX in D76 1:1 10 min. Part of my Flickr "Back to Basics" - shooting with TriX and souping in D76 1:1/10 min.

Old 09-27-2011   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspaperguy View Post
Let me add my agreement to this... the CV25/4 is a terrific lens that needs no apologies. There is nothing else on the market that can produce any better images in it's category... and isn't that what this is all about?
I think Zeiss 25mm ZM users would have an argument here...

Old 12-01-2012   #19
ajvin

Hi
I recently purchased a used 25mm skopar f2 for my m6. Shot a roll and quite pleased with it. I am thinking of getting an adapter for my lumix g1 4/3....any experience with this lens on a lumix g1. Thx..also I think I have an older version as mine is a "lens made in Japan" and I have seen a new in box version in a local shop marked cosina on the lens. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the qaulity of glass or build....thx

Old 12-01-2012   #20
Pete B

I've got the non rangefinder coupled version used on a Leica M. I've only used it once despite thinking it's a brilliant lens. I must get out with it more. I've posted these before:
Pete

Old 12-01-2012   #21
burancap

One of my favorites. I also need to get it out more!

Old 12-01-2012   #22
grainhound

I have both the ZM and LTM C/V 25. I love the ZM, but take the C/V skiing, mounted on an M4-2, as is the VF. The combo fits so easily in a Mountain Co-op belt pack, along with a Digi-six, that it's scarcely noticeable when I'm skiing - or riding a lift, on which you must remove a backpack. It's also the ideal focal length for the ski shots I take (I don't shoot skier or boarder acrobatics with a super telephoto). Even with 100 ISO film it's easy to get shots at f5.6 or f8 on a ski hill, snow or shine.

The click stop focus renders the non-RF coupling moot on the street or on a ski hill. On the hill, most shots are near infinity anyway, and for urban use I spend a couple of minutes reminding myself of the DOF at the 3 click stops. At f5.6 or f8, it's hard to miss focus.

Great results too; at first I thought I'd made a mistake buying the ZM since I don't test equipment. There is a difference, however, and f2.8 and rangefinder coupling is important in situations other than the above. I don't do street, so the C/V is mostly a ski lens for me.

Old 12-01-2012   #23
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvin View Post
Hi
I recently purchased a used 25mm skopar f2 for my m6. Shot a roll and quite pleased with it. I am thinking of getting an adapter for my lumix g1 4/3....any experience with this lens on a lumix g1. Thx..also I think I have an older version as mine is a "lens made in Japan" and I have seen a new in box version in a local shop marked cosina on the lens. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the qaulity of glass or build....thx
Cosina licenses the Voigtländer brand name. Same lens.

Some of the Skopars don't image all that well with mFT sensors, only way to know is to try them.

Old 12-01-2012   #24
Range-rover

Hi all.
I have this lens on my Nikon S2 and my Nikon S3 and it's terrific, smooth focusing
and the picture quality is fine.

Range

Old 12-08-2012   #25
sparrow6224

My version of this -- an M -- arrived today. Also I recently broke my 21/4 LTM and have an M version replacement coming. Here's my question: I'll soon be in the market for an M6 -- can anyone tell me what framelines in the M6 (and M4-P as well, I presume, which I might get instead of the M6) are called up by these two lenses? Obviously I'm hoping it's the 28mm, which will suffice for me with the 25mm. I have a 21mm VF. I can interpolate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/commodiusvicus/