1) How do you actually scan Xpan negs or trannies – do you use the normal 35mm holder and mark picture area, or do you have to use a bigger format holder?
For the V600 there is a holder for two 135mm film strips and then you just specify the area to be scanned, you can scan 6 xpan images in one go.
2) Has anybody tried scanning APS negs on this – and if so how was it done the best?
never tried this.
3) And how do you scan odd formats – does the “big size” holders contain a plastic or glass cover that “traps” the negative
No glass, the filmholders are actually disappointingly flimsy.
4) How does it hold op when scanning old paper pictures?
Takes good quality scans.
5) How would you rate the scan quality with standard 35mm compared to any of the Minolta Dual scanners?
I have a Scan Elite 5400 II, there is a slight loss of quality but that is only apparent in certain scenarios, the ease of scanning makes up for it.
Xpan scan on V600: http://www.flickr.com/photos/berci/5251482022/lightbox/
6) Which is the best software with the V700 – the supplied Silverfast or Vuescan?
I have been using the supplied one and then do the rest in Photoshoppe