Epoxy putty does CPR on a Rapidwinder
A while ago I bought a Rpidwinder described as "non-functional" with the thought of repairing it, or sending it to Tom for a repair.
when it arrive, it appeared that I wasn't THAT smart, and the description wasn't THAT accurate. The small half moon part locking all base plates to the cameras was broken. I contacted Tom, only to find that I couldn't buy a new housing for this older design.
I tried to think of an aluminum patch, but the machining people I asked told me that cost would be prohibitive. One of them suggested to use Epoxy putty, and for the first time in my life, I tried the stuff.
I prepared the aluminum base for maximum adhesion, and the camera for no adhesion (a bit of oil on the area). After assembling both, I used the putty to make a patch, with the imprint of the small locking piece on the camera.
some filing and sanding and here is the result...
Ugly, but looks functional.
Next: more sanding, and then I'll paint the housing in black so the patch is er... less ugly.
Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)