Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Zeiss Ikon ZM

Zeiss Ikon ZM This is for the current production Leica M mount Zeiss Ikon camera and lenses.

ZM Lens delay
Old 05-28-2011   #1
print44

ZM Lens delay

I ordered a Biogon C 35 2.8 yesterday from an online retailer based here in the UK, but they emailed back later to say that they had no stock of any of the Zeiss ZM lenses as a result of the Japanese earthquake. Can anyone give any more information about the situation with Zeiss/Cosina production, and whether the 1-2 month delay I've been quoted is likely to be realistic.

James

Old 05-28-2011   #2
robbeiflex

Even before the earthquake I once had to wait a whole month for a Voigtländer lens to arrive at a French retailer. I think part of it is the distribution chain to Europe for what is a very low volume item, and the rest is probably production and or logistics delays resulting from damaged factories and warehouses in Japan.

Cheers,
Rob

PS: The lens gets rave reviews everywhere, I'm sure you'll enjoy it when it does arrive!
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 05-29-2011   #3
fuwen

Ya, still waiting for my ZM 25/2.8 ordered few months back .....

My website on Classical Music and Photography

Old 05-30-2011   #4
tonyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by print44 View Post
I ordered a Biogon C 35 2.8 yesterday from an online retailer based here in the UK, but they emailed back later to say that they had no stock of any of the Zeiss ZM lenses as a result of the Japanese earthquake. Can anyone give any more information about the situation with Zeiss/Cosina production, and whether the 1-2 month delay I've been quoted is likely to be realistic.

James
Hello

Have you tried Richard Caplin in London ?
They have quite lot of ZM lenses in stock in
their shop.

-tc

Old 05-30-2011   #5
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
I had a chance to chat with the Zeiss Rep at a local camera show here recently. The main challenge is for Cosina (the makers of most things Zeiss and all things Voightlander) is one of their main vendors who provides the alloy for the lens barrels was located 500m from the nuclear reactor that well nearly melted down after the quake and tsunami. Stands to reason Cosina and other lens makers are furiously sourcing a new alloy supplier and making sure the metal is up to spec. It could take some time.

Old 05-30-2011   #6
print44

Hmm interesting. Richard Caplan has only the 35 f2 on his website. I think I'll come back to this one in about a month - leave the lens on back-order and see where we are at the end of June.

Old 05-31-2011   #7
andrewteee

The Zeiss lenses were hard to come by even before the earthquake.

Old 05-31-2011   #8
print44

I've got to decide whether to pay for the order now - or cancel and order again when they arrive in stock - whenever that is. Wondering if when they do turn up the price will have risen significantly.

Old 06-02-2011   #9
AndySig

You could try Robert White in the UK. They must be the only people in Europe who've got the black version of the 85 mm Tele-Tessar in stock (I've just ordered one). The only catch is that there is no such thing as a discount with this firm i.e. you always pay top whack.

Old 06-02-2011   #10
jsrockit

So, did the distasters in Japan affect Leica due to metal as well?

Old 06-02-2011   #11
rover

Leica and ZM lenses have been out of stock at most retailers I am aware of well before the earthquake in Japan. Surely that has not helped the situation with regard to the ZM lenses, but that is not the cause.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 06-02-2011   #12
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
Leica and ZM lenses have been out of stock at most retailers I am aware of well before the earthquake in Japan. Surely that has not helped the situation with regard to the ZM lenses, but that is not the cause.
Anyone know the cause then? Seems it is effecting Voigtlander too. I find it hard to believe that all of these major camera companies are just not making lenses. I think there has to be some parts or something that aren't available.

Old 06-02-2011   #13
andrewteee

It may be a combination of circumstances... the Leica M9 seems to be popular both with previous Leica owners and new ones who may not already own lenses. The mirrorless cameras may excite some owners to buy new m-mount lenses. Then the earthquake.

There may be a trickle but not enough to fill the coffers of the online retailers. For example, B&H may get a few now and then but only enough to sell at the retail store or to fill pre-orders.

But right now most m-mount lenses seem to be completely unavailable for long periods of time. It's as if they don't exist at all. I've had several lenses marked as "tell me when it's in stock" at B&H for many months now without a peep. Popflash and others, including a local Leica dealer, seem to be in the same boat. Unobtanium.

Old 06-02-2011   #14
JeffNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
So, did the distasters in Japan affect Leica due to metal as well?
That's what I think John.
There has to be a few integral parts that come from a manufacturer in the troubled area.

Leica, Nikon, & Fuji

Flickr Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcolen/

Old 06-03-2011   #15
print44

I hunted a little further and eventually discovered a black 35 2.8 in stock with a different UK retailer. The lens was delivered this morning - just as I left for work (damn!) Black lenses are the most difficult to come by, but both Clifton cameras and Ace Cameras had stocks of the chrome lenses at both F2 as well as f2.8. I should buy one now if you're thinking you might...

Old 12-31-2011   #16
russelljtdyer
Writer

What's the latest on Zeiss ZM lenses in the U.S.? I still see "out of stock" notices on the primary Zeiss retailers (Adorama, B&H, and PopFlash). They seem to have them in stock in the U.K. and Hong Kong, but the prices translates to about $300 extra for lenses like the Zeiss 50 f/1.5 ZM.

This topic is discussed in a few threads here, but I haven't seen any comments for months. Has Zeiss given up on trying to manufacture more lenses for sale in the U.S.? Does anyone here know when they'll pull themselves out of this production slump? Was the factory near the epicenter of the earthquake? I know this has been devastating to many companies in Japan and has effected the entire infrastructure of the country. I'm wondering if the Zeiss factory is back in full swing and will be shipping to the U.S. soon.

If there are no good answers to the above, well then, is there anyone here with a minimally used Zeiss 50 f/1.5 ZM lens that was purchased in the U.S. that they'd like to unload for what they paid for it or a little less even? If so, send me a private message please.

Russell can be seen occasionally petting his Zeiss Ikon camera and quietly calling it, 'my precious', much to the discomfort of those around him.

Russell's Photography Equipment (updated April 2014)
Zeiss Ikon camera
Leica M9 camera

Zeiss Biogon ZM f/2 35mm lens
Leica Summicron-M f2 50mm lens
Leica Elmarit-M f/2.8 90mm (E46 Germany) lens

Old 12-31-2011   #17
EdwardKaraa

I know for a fact that a large batch of ZM lenses has been produced and left the factory in mid December. You will soon see a lot of items back in stock.

Old 12-31-2011   #18
Lflex
Lflex

Cosina seems to be back up and running. I see Carl Zeiss ZM are getting back on the shelves of Tokyo's shops, so they'll probably be in the US soon.

Old 12-31-2011   #19
russelljtdyer
Writer

Fantastic! This is good news indeed. Thanks, Edward and Lflex.

Now I just need to keep from spending the cash I have planned for this lens for a few months. That's going to be difficult.

-Russell

Russell can be seen occasionally petting his Zeiss Ikon camera and quietly calling it, 'my precious', much to the discomfort of those around him.

Zeiss Ikon camera
Leica M9 camera

Got One!
Old 02-01-2012   #20
russelljtdyer
Writer

Got One!

One new Zeiss ZM 50mm lens came up for sale Sunday morning on B&H Photo. Someone bought it by the afternoon. It wasn't the model I want, so that's fine by me. It was the Sonnar f/1.5 and I've decided recently that I'd prefer the Plannar f/2 lens. It's rated a little better in some ways and it's cheaper and uses the same size filters as the Zeiss ZM f/2 35mm lens that I already own.

At one point this morning, I checked Pop-Flash, Adorama, and B&H's sites for the model and color I want and they both showed out-of-stock, but I left the window open on my web browser for B&H. About twenty minutes later I was on the phone talking to someone and absentmindedly refreshed the web page. Suddenly, after months of waiting, it showed one in stock. I pounced on it like a kitten on a ball of string.

I finally have one on the way to me. It arrives Friday, which is particularly good since I leave the U.S. and return to Milan on Monday.

-Russell

Zeiss Ikon camera
Leica M9 camera

Old 02-01-2012   #21
djorourke

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelljtdyer View Post

At one point this morning, I checked Pop-Flash, Adorama, and B&H's sites for the model and color I want and they both showed out-of-stock, but I left the window open on my web browser for B&H. About twenty minutes later I was on the phone talking to someone and absentmindedly refreshed the web page. Suddenly, after months of waiting, it showed one in stock. I pounced on it like a kitten on a ball of string.

I finally have one on the way to me. It arrives Friday, which is particularly good since I leave the U.S. and return to Milan on Monday.

-Russell
Ha! I bet that was an awesome feeling. Congrats!

Old 02-01-2012   #22
j.scooter

Quote:
One new Zeiss ZM 50mm lens came up for sale Sunday morning on B&H Photo. Someone bought it by the afternoon. It wasn't the model I want, so that's fine by me. It was the Sonnar f/1.5 and I've decided recently that I'd prefer the Plannar f/2 lens. It's rated a little better in some ways and it's cheaper and uses the same size filters as the Zeiss ZM f/2 35mm lens that I already own.

-Russell

Congrats! It is a really nice lens.

Old 02-01-2012   #23
noimmunity
registered niche user

Quote:

-Russell
Lucky you! Getting it in the States also saved you a bundle!

Fuji XP1 8/14/23/35/55-200 (x1.5)
Sigma DP Merrill 19/30/50 (x1.5)
ZI, R4A 24/50/90 + 21/35/85 and a 40.

搬到畫國後免疫系統變得超強,所過的生活宅到不行!

The old adage says: Seeing is believing. To me, that doesn't mean that the world seen is the truth, it means rather that seeing is a field in which the purity of heart is expressed--or not, depending upon whatever happens to cloud that purity at any given moment.

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-03-2012   #24
jcrutcher

Hello,

I just received my 50mm Sonnar 1.5. Is there a thread already started with photo's taken by this lens?

Thanks
Jim

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/