Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

another LTM Sonnar
Old 05-07-2011   #1
dexdog
sans bokeh

another LTM Sonnar

Ebay 230618131106, no connection to seller, etc.

This 5cm/1.5 lens looks interesting, in that it has ears, is in an aluminum mount, and has the general look of a wartime Sonnar. A few more pictures would be useful, though. The serial number doesn't check out against Theile's book of CZJ lenses, however- it is assigned to a batch of one thousand 7.5cm/3.5 Tessar lenses for the Rolleiflex, made in 1949. Serial numbers within a few thousand either way of this lens all show production dates of 1948 or 1949, with no batches of f1.5 Sonnars in the mix.

Makes me wonder if it is cobbled together outta spare parts, with a phony name ring.

Last edited by dexdog : 05-07-2011 at 02:56.

Old 05-07-2011   #2
ZeissFan

Could be one or more of the possibilities that you mention.

Personally, I think people vastly overpay for these lenses just to say that they own one.

Old 05-07-2011   #3
squinza

IMHO it shows a lot of dust inside and possibly cleaning marks, it's hard to tell.
But the funny thing is in the bid description:
LENS CAP FITS BUT IT SAYS "LEICA" WHICH I BELIEVE IT BELONGS TO ANOTHER LENS
Wartime sonnars are nice, if you like the look, but I'd look elsewhere...

Old 05-07-2011   #4
Brian Sweeney

It is not a wartime SOnnar, probably a post-war "transition lens" made from some original parts and some custom machined.

Only way to tell is to buy it and take apart. I would not go over $200 or so, price of a good J-3.

Old 05-07-2011   #5
dexdog
sans bokeh

The ebay seller sent me a couple of photos. Not sure what this is, but appears to be a hybrid lens, perhaps a post WW2 remount. I have never seen a lens with the larger aperture controlling screw that was not paired with the focus ring screw.

Old 05-10-2011   #6
Green_Blue

So did anyone here by that lens, because it seems to have been ended early. Also does anyone have any opinions about this lens?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_701wt_1141

Old 05-10-2011   #7
dexdog
sans bokeh

Interesting lens, a custom re-mounting in a Cooke & Perkins barrel. Serial number is early post-WW2, probably 1945 or 1946. I will look it up later in Thiele's book of CZJ lenses (if I remember).

Old 05-10-2011   #8
dexdog
sans bokeh

I ran the number in Thiele's book, and this lens was one of a batch of 600 5cm/1.5 Sonnars completed in April 1947, in Contax mount.