Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M -- Minolta CLE

Leica M -- Minolta CLE Minolta's electronic successor to the Leica / Minolta CL.

CLE questions
Old 04-08-2011   #1
presspass
filmshooter

CLE questions

i like the 40 Nokton but don't use it much because I don't have a camera with a 40 frameline. I'm considering a CLE because it has the three frames I would use most - 28, 40, 90. I am concerned about durability and wonder if repairs are still possible. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 04-08-2011   #2
Pablito
coco frío

The battery cover is a little piece of plastic that can fall off when you least expect it, spilling the batteries on the ground. I had to keep it in place with tape. Also this is a camera made to be used in A exposure mode. If you like to shoot in M, this is not a camera for you. Meter is averaging. I found the CL to be a much more usable camera. No doubt a ton of posts will follow this saying what a great camera this is. Just sharing my experience. I sold mine ages ago but remember the problems quite clearly since they were so annyoing.

Isn't there a Bessa that has 40mm framelines?

Last edited by Pablito : 04-09-2011 at 05:30.

Old 04-09-2011   #3
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

I've had two and both broke down. They are veru nice little cameras but not durable at all.
I have a nice CLA's CL for sale though:-) Add a 28 finder and you're set too.
Cheers,
Michiel Fokkema

Old 04-09-2011   #4
silent1

What kind of problem did you experience Michiel?
I've got one and it's working flawlessly ever since I bought it. Hope it'll keep working for a looooong time.
Beautiful little camera!

Old 04-09-2011   #5
awilder

I owned once one and had no problems, however repairs are quite difficult or impossible if replacement parts are needed. The same can be said of the Hexar RF too! The metering was not a problem for me and was unique in measuring light off the film plane like the Oly OM 2. The Minolta CL was possibly the best of the series as it had internal improvements over the original Leica CL as it wasn't constrained by Leitz in making these improvements.

Old 04-09-2011   #6
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent1 View Post
What kind of problem did you experience Michiel?
I've got one and it's working flawlessly ever since I bought it. Hope it'll keep working for a looooong time.
Beautiful little camera!
One had a sutter that now and then jammed. Both developed electronic problems and those very likely can not be repaired.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Old 04-09-2011   #7
presspass
filmshooter

I've looked at the Bessa and have no problem with it - R3A or M - except the 40 is the widest frame in the camera. The same applies to the CL I had decades ago. That's an issue for me since I wear glasses. I can't see the 28 frame in any M except the .58 finder ones. I guess I could use a Bessa, set the frame lines to 35, and let the camera auto crop.

Old 04-09-2011   #8
Graham Line

There's a great deal of information on your question at http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=93681

My Flickr

You can join Visionless Hacks

I've been forty years discovering that the queen of all colors is black. - Henri Matisse

Old 04-09-2011   #9
Ronald M

Get a Leica CL. Sherry has all the repair parts at Golden Touch Camera Repair. She is an expert on all things M Leica.

You can also buy a 40mm VF from Camera Quest. Do not muck with the frame line selector, neither 35 or 50 is correct.