Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Found iPad app to develop DNG files
Old 04-03-2011   #1
rob-shanghai

Thumbs up Found iPad app to develop DNG files

Thought you guys might be interested to know that I found an app called photoraw that works on the iPad . You can load dng files that you have transferred to the iPad using the camera connection kit for viewing and developing and then save as a full size or reduced size jpeg . It's great for editing on the go, I then load the jpeg into the PS express app for further editing.
The app can be set to use virtual memory so it can work on very large raw files.

Old 04-03-2011   #2
capito
silver halide punk

Interesting. I'll pass this on to my wife, whom I got an iPad with the camera connection kit. We did a test with the Sony NEX 3, which has a 14MP sensor, and the built-in photo viewer app kept crashing, I suppose because the photos were too big.
Do you know of max size the photo viewer app can handle?

Still the best solution?
Old 01-07-2012   #3
mugget

Still the best solution?

I don't usually resurrect old threads like this... but I just wanted to get some input and see if PhotoRaw was still the best way to view/process DNG raw files on the iPad?

I will be travelling next week and I'm just taking an iPad 2 for a bit of blogging/photo sharing on the go, with an M8 and 50mm Summilux doing photo duty. I'm hoping that after picking up an iPad Camera Connection Kit that I should be set to develop the M8 DNG's on the iPad... There is a PhotoRaw Lite version available for free so I will give that a try - but I just wanted to see if anyone has any other apps they prefer to work with?

Cheers for any info!

Old 01-09-2012   #4
mugget

Okay, I have been having a bit of a look around and it seems like working with RAW files on iPad has come a long way since April last year...

PhotoRaw looks like it has some really basic functionality - it does it's job, but there's other options that do the same thing with more comprehensive editing features and even batch/automation features. But kudos to the developers, you can be sure it will read Leica DNG files since it was developed by a Leica user for what seems to be exactly that purpose.

Filterstorm Pro has got to be the app of choice if you're working with large numbers of photos. It does batch processing and automation, and I have not seen any other app that can do batch processing, let alone automation. So if you're using any other app you will need to export each photo individually as JPG if you want to upload them to Flickr for example. It does just about all the editing you could want to do on an iPad, including layers (!) and masking. Batch export to FTP, Dropbox, Flickr or email. You can also rate photos and maintain an actual image library, as well as apply watermarks. This one seems like much more of a commercial/business-oriented app, rather than a 'fun, social-sharing' type app.

Snapseed is another really popular app that supports RAW import. Scott Kelby really loves it... and I can see why. The touch interface just looks so intuitive, this is really what a touch device like the iPad needs. No wonder it was chosen by Apple as 2011 iPad app of the year... A plus for some people will be more 'social sharing' options like Facebook and Twitter in addition to Flickr. But the lack of batch processing, batch export makes it more suited to use for images that you know you want to edit, rather than just share straight out of camera.

These would be my top picks after some hours of research (it's never easy!). I'm sure they'll keep improving and I really hope that Snapseed brings batch functions in the next update because that would really complete it. I think I may have to buy both of these because Snapseed seems too awesome to pass up, but it would be a hassle to work with hundreds of photos without batch functions. They seem to be complimentary to each other right now.

One final thing - I think that both of these apps don't actually make the adjustments on the DNG file, I know that Snapdragon converts a JPG version if you import a RAW file (so you're actually working on a JPG), and I have a feeling that Filterstorm Pro might work the same way. PhotoRaw does seem to let you view and work on the actual RAW file, but you can see it's working hard and it can take a second or so to completely refresh the screen. But one thing that just seems like a current hardware limitation is that none of the apps will export edited RAW files, only JPG.

Old 01-09-2012   #5
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Snapseed is excellent.

Old 01-09-2012   #6
Fjordphotos

Another vote for Snapseed!

Old 01-09-2012   #7
semrich

What app would you suggest to get the JPG's from an iPad2 transferred to a Macbook Pro?

"The individual is an aperture through which the whole energy of the universe is aware of itself"...

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

http://www.rweatheredgallery.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79288469@N05/

Old 01-10-2012   #8
mugget

Okay, now I want to just go shooting so I can play with Snapseed.

semrich - I just tried to import the RAW files from iPad to Aperture (just to make sure it works!) and the iPad did not initially show up in Aperture. I just changed the Import Preferences to open the Image Capture app in OS X, which took the RAW (and JPG) versions from there into Aperture. I now have it set to open Aperture whenever the iPad is connected, but it looks like Image Capture is a sure bet, you can save them anywhere on your Macbook from there.

Old 01-10-2012   #9
River Dog
Always looking

+1 for Snapseed.

RAW import from NEX-3, processed and shared to Flickr by Snapseed over a wi-fi hotspot. Excellent travel companions.

Old 01-10-2012   #10
semrich

mugget, thanks. I've just got Filterstorm Pro. I have a camera connection kit now all I have to do is figure out what to do next and if I need anything else, I want to send batch files to someone else's MBPro in the same room, can I do it with wifi?

"The individual is an aperture through which the whole energy of the universe is aware of itself"...

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

http://www.rweatheredgallery.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79288469@N05/

Old 01-10-2012   #11
mls64

Do these apps (Snapseed, Filterstorm) preserve all of the EXIF data?
I initially had an issue with that when importing to the iPad via the native Photos app.

Old 01-11-2012   #12
luuca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugget View Post
Okay, I have been having a bit of a look around and it seems like working with RAW files on iPad has come a long way since April last year...

PhotoRaw looks like it has some really basic functionality - it does it's job, but there's other options that do the same thing with more comprehensive editing features and even batch/automation features. But kudos to the developers, you can be sure it will read Leica DNG files since it was developed by a Leica user for what seems to be exactly that purpose.

Filterstorm Pro has got to be the app of choice if you're working with large numbers of photos. It does batch processing and automation, and I have not seen any other app that can do batch processing, let alone automation. So if you're using any other app you will need to export each photo individually as JPG if you want to upload them to Flickr for example. It does just about all the editing you could want to do on an iPad, including layers (!) and masking. Batch export to FTP, Dropbox, Flickr or email. You can also rate photos and maintain an actual image library, as well as apply watermarks. This one seems like much more of a commercial/business-oriented app, rather than a 'fun, social-sharing' type app.

Snapseed is another really popular app that supports RAW import. Scott Kelby really loves it... and I can see why. The touch interface just looks so intuitive, this is really what a touch device like the iPad needs. No wonder it was chosen by Apple as 2011 iPad app of the year... A plus for some people will be more 'social sharing' options like Facebook and Twitter in addition to Flickr. But the lack of batch processing, batch export makes it more suited to use for images that you know you want to edit, rather than just share straight out of camera.

These would be my top picks after some hours of research (it's never easy!). I'm sure they'll keep improving and I really hope that Snapseed brings batch functions in the next update because that would really complete it. I think I may have to buy both of these because Snapseed seems too awesome to pass up, but it would be a hassle to work with hundreds of photos without batch functions. They seem to be complimentary to each other right now.

One final thing - I think that both of these apps don't actually make the adjustments on the DNG file, I know that Snapdragon converts a JPG version if you import a RAW file (so you're actually working on a JPG), and I have a feeling that Filterstorm Pro might work the same way. PhotoRaw does seem to let you view and work on the actual RAW file, but you can see it's working hard and it can take a second or so to completely refresh the screen. But one thing that just seems like a current hardware limitation is that none of the apps will export edited RAW files, only JPG.
great, thanks a lot.

how is speed with M9 dng's?
I used photoraw, but is SLOW... about 3 minutes to import a M9 dng...

Old 01-11-2012   #13
luuca

ops, I just noticed that DNG are not supported...

Old 01-11-2012   #14
mugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls64 View Post
Do these apps (Snapseed, Filterstorm) preserve all of the EXIF data?
I initially had an issue with that when importing to the iPad via the native Photos app.
Ahhhh... EXIF... well Nik Software say that Snapseed will not save EXIF data if you email the photo. It may keep some of it if you upload to Flickr, but the only sure way to keep it all is to sync back directly to your computer. Or you could try saving it out of Snapseed then use another app to upload to Flickr, which may give you enough EXIF depending on what you need. But it seems like EXIF is an ongoing battle. I have tested SS with a photo from a Canon 7D and it kept the EXIF after editing and syncing back to Aperture. But another image from my M8 that I edited and sync'd to Aperture had lost some of the EXIF (no exposure bias, focal length or serial number) but maybe that's not so bad, only 3 things it lost. Not sure about the M9 though...

Filterstorm Pro says it has "EXIF support for JPEG and some RAWs". However if you just need to be absolutely sure that you keep some info with the photo FsPro does have IPTC support. You could even create multiple sets of IPTC data that you could batch apply to your images. But as recent as September last year, FsPro did not read EXIF from some cameras, one review specifically mentioned Canon 60D.

I have tested a transfer of straight RAW and JPG files from my M8 > iPad (not edited) > sync with computer and it keeps all the EXIF. Only good if you want to use the iPad for viewing and storage.

luuca, all those apps I mentioned do allow you to import and edit DNG. Just that Snapseed and Filterstorm automatically convert it to JPG for editing - that's why they're so much faster than PhotoRaw. If you want to actually do (basic) edits on the DNG you need to use PhotoRaw, but as you found out working with DNG is slow... much better to leave that to a desktop computer with 4+GB RAM...

Old 01-11-2012   #15
mls64

Great info, thanks mugget.

Old 01-12-2012   #16
luuca

Quote:
luuca, all those apps I mentioned do allow you to import and edit DNG. Just that Snapseed and Filterstorm automatically convert it to JPG for editing - that's why they're so much faster than PhotoRaw. If you want to actually do (basic) edits on the DNG you need to use PhotoRaw, but as you found out working with DNG is slow... much better to leave that to a desktop computer with 4+GB RAM...

thanks, I didn't understand...
well this is a good solution, I will go with filterstorm pro, because photoraw is really unusable with m9 dng

Old 01-12-2012   #17
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

I used snapseed exclusively on my trip to Japan this past fall. It was a blast. Touch-screen photo editing is the bomb and snapseed is incredible for the under $10 it costs!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 01-12-2012   #18
luuca

ok, maybe I'm stupid, but I can't import dng's in filterstorm pro... it always shows only the thumbnail generated in very low resolution... what's wrong?

Old 01-12-2012   #19
Timmyjoe

I had this same issue about six months ago when I was considering getting the camera connection kit for my iPad (1st generation). It worked fine for the RAW images shot with my Nikon D700, but when trying to import DNG files from my M8.2, all it would import is the small thumbnail jpg in very low resolution. Wouldn't import the DNG file or a full res jpg no matter what I tried.

Would love to hear a solution to this as the iPad would be a great traveling companion to my M8.2.

Best,
-Tim

Old 01-12-2012   #20
luuca

ok, no solution.

leica DNG's are non yet supported

see here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...oftware-2.html

snapseed and filterstorm are non able to open a leica DNG

Old 01-12-2012   #21
Timmyjoe

Found this on Adobe's site where they talk about their App "PhotoSmith" which syncs with Lightroom and is made for organizing and light editing of images on the iPad.

"Leica RAW
At this time, we do not recommend using Photosmith (or the iPad) with Leica DNG raw files unless you shoot RAW+JPG. Apple’s support for Leica’s DNG format is very weak and in most cases will display only a 320216 thumbnail as it’s largest size. This is because the DNG format that Leica shoots doesn’t contain as much information as other raw formats and in most cases, not enough for the iPad to be able to generate a full screen preview. Since Photosmith relies on Apple’s RAW handling, we are limited by Apple’s support.

However, if you shoot RAW+JPG then we combine both files together to extract all the information we need to display a large preview (up to the max size of the JPG you shoot). In all cases, even if you can’t see a large preview, you can still rate, tag, keyword, etc. and when you sync with LR we’ll sync all the files over including the DNGs."

Best,
-Tim

Old 01-14-2012   #22
Timmyjoe

I found that if I shoot DNG + JPEG(Basic) I can load the images on my iPad 1 with the Camera Connection Kit. Did not find a difference between the JPEG(Basic) and the JPEG(Fine) at least with my iPad. I can then go through all my pics when I am on the road and sort out the good from the bad.

No problem loading the DNG and the JPEG from the iPad onto my MacPro with Aperture 2, when I get back home.

Only drawback that I've found so far is that it takes the camera longer to process each shot compared to when I just had DNG selected. But DNG + JPEG(Basic) only adds about 1.9 MB to each image, on top of the 10.5 MB that the DNG file takes up. So it's not too bad.

Plan on using SnapSeed for minor editing of the JPGs on the iPad before sending them off to my editor. Was considering FilterStorm Pro until I read all the negative reviews of the latest update of the software. Have always had good results with the software from Nik, so I hope SnapSeed is the same.

Best,
-Tim

Old 01-16-2012   #23
Timmyjoe

Just got back from a road trip with the M8.2, the iPad 1, the Camera Connection Kit, and SnapSeed and I can report from first hand experience it all worked quite well.

Shot DMG+JPEG(Basic) with the M8.2 and everything loaded no problem onto the iPad and opened with no problems with SnapSeed.

I can now leave my MacBook Air at home. Yeah!!

Best,
-Tim

Old 01-20-2012   #24
mugget

Okay - unfortunately it seems like nothing can properly process plain DNG. I tried a few shots to see if it would work, but no luck - only small thumbnails in all apps and when viewed in photo library.

So there's the limitation - like others have already found you need DNG + JPG to use the iPad as your mobile solution.

Also I was using DNG + JPG B&W. On iPad this only allows you to use the B&W photos. You can still get your color photos from the DNG on a computer, I was trying this out as a way to quickly see what photos may look good as B&W. But if you want color photos on your iPad you must set it to Color not B&W.

All up it's not a true raw solution I suppose, but for the convenicece of traveling light it's great.

I have been trying to batch upload do Flickr from Filterstorm Pro but I think I may have dodgy WiFi because it says it's timing out... Anyway I'll keep trying on that and post back with my findings.

Old 01-20-2012   #25
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

I'm gobsmacked by this thread. Why don't you guys use the app that was developed specifically for M8 and M9 DNG files?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo...413899112?mt=8

Quote:
Okay - unfortunately it seems like nothing can properly process plain DNG. I tried a few shots to see if it would work, but no luck - only small thumbnails in all apps and when viewed in photo library.

So there's the limitation - like others have already found you need DNG + JPG to use the iPad as your mobile solution.

Also I was using DNG + JPG B&W. On iPad this only allows you to use the B&W photos. You can still get your color photos from the DNG on a computer, I was trying this out as a way to quickly see what photos may look good as B&W. But if you want color photos on your iPad you must set it to Color not B&W.

All up it's not a true raw solution I suppose, but for the convenicece of traveling light it's great.

I have been trying to batch upload do Flickr from Filterstorm Pro but I think I may have dodgy WiFi because it says it's timing out... Anyway I'll keep trying on that and post back with my findings.

jaapvphotography