Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Successfully changed focus tab on 40mm Summicron C
Old 03-20-2011   #1
rcreek

Successfully changed focus tab on 40mm Summicron C

The 40mm Summicron C has long been one of my favorites but I have always hated the focus tab. I really like the more traditional Leica tabs like on the 35 cron. So I decided to try and change it.

It was actually much easier then I thought. Heavystar has focus tabs for sale on Ebay and the existing tab was heald in place by one screw that is easily accessible once you unscrew the front lens element. Just unscrew the current tab and add a touch of glue to the new one and screw that on. There were two guide pins that I had to file down on the new tab but aside from that, easy as pie. Works great!

Old 03-20-2011   #2
biakalt
Long Tran

congrats! looks like it was there in the first place. so you finally managed to get the replica tab yeh?

flickr

Old 03-20-2011   #3
tabo

That's a nice mod which I'd be eager to emulate. However, I searched heavystar's items on eBay and couldn't find anything called a "focus tab." Do they call them something else?

Old 03-20-2011   #4
rcreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabo View Post
That's a nice mod which I'd be eager to emulate. However, I searched heavystar's items on eBay and couldn't find anything called a "focus tab." Do they call them something else?

Yes. They call it a "leica lens focusing handle"

Old 03-20-2011   #5
Vickko

Look here: Item number: 200580475472

Leica M Camera Lens Focusing Handle Mint No Reserve

Old 07-12-2011   #6
cinemakyle

Any idea if these can be modified to work on other lenses?

Old 07-26-2011   #7
filmfan

I will give this a bump for that last question.

Old 05-14-2012   #8
klapka

I have modified mine too. Much better in use.
Here is "how to" discription.

Old 05-14-2012   #9
Moriturii
Unsui

Here is my question though, is it like "one size fits all"? I'd like to pop a focusing tab on my Hexanon-M 50mm lens, but how would I know if the shape of the potential focusing handle will fit the shape of the lens barrel?

Old 05-14-2012   #10
klapka

Well, no. It has some definite size. I have put similar tabs on some of my other lenses:

It has some tolerance especially when mounted on a 2-side adhesive tape.

Though it seems a little small for my 75mm Heliar.

Old 05-30-2012   #11
Joe AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapka View Post
Well, no. It has some definite size. I have put similar tabs on some of my other lenses:

It has some tolerance especially when mounted on a 2-side adhesive tape.

Though it seems a little small for my 75mm Heliar.
Any idea where to find these? Heavystar seems to be out.

Thanks
Joe

Old 06-23-2012   #12
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

Picked up some of Heavystar's focusing tabs for my 50mm summicron. I prefer the tabs although I found the ones he sells don't have the exact same curvature as the lens. Using double sided tape I just mashed the tab on there and sandwiched everything between some heavy objects overnight so it held together. So far after a few day's use everything appears to be working well.

Oh, and if he's out of stock on ebay, try to contact him directly. That's what I did and he posted up another set and emailed me the link to the auction.

Old 02-21-2013   #13
B-9
NRF Greenhorn

Bump, can anyone confirm if heavy star is still selling these?

Edit: Shot over an email, these are still very much available. Maybe easier to acquire them through email.

Old 04-19-2013   #14
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Bump, can anyone confirm if heavy star is still selling these?

Edit: Shot over an email, these are still very much available. Maybe easier to acquire them through email.
How did you get hold of him? eBay messaging is driving me crazy - it will only let me send a message related to a specific auction.

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 07-22-2013   #15
johnamazement

Does anyone know if these replacement focus tabs are available anywhere in Europe?

Old 07-22-2013   #16
MiniMoke
G.A.S. Victim

Only on ebay.....

Heavystar sells them in pairs and I got some, they are on the way - so I won't need one of them.

If interrested, PM me - the price without postage was EUR 19.75 (for 2 bits of plastic....).

What if we share?

Just another question - is the Minolta M-Rokkor as easily converted as the Summicron-C? just unscrew the rear nut and separate the lens?????

Digital:
Fuji X100 and X30

Film:
Olympus XA - Olympus XA2 - Olympus Trip 35 - Olympus OM2n + 50mm f:1.8 and 28mm f:2.8
Polaroid 636 One Step - Polaroid Image System

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107955114@N04

Old 07-22-2013   #17
johnamazement

Thanks MiniMoke, PM sent.

I assume the earlier Rokkor lens for the CL (that's the one I've got) is the same construction as the Summicron as they're an identical design. Not sure about the later CLE version though.

Old 07-28-2013   #18
MiniMoke
G.A.S. Victim

Now I've gone and sold my 40mm M-Rokkor... silly me.

And I'm stuck with the second Cron focussing tab as I didn't have time to instal it.

Anyone interrested? PM me!

Digital:
Fuji X100 and X30

Film:
Olympus XA - Olympus XA2 - Olympus Trip 35 - Olympus OM2n + 50mm f:1.8 and 28mm f:2.8
Polaroid 636 One Step - Polaroid Image System

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107955114@N04

Old 09-08-2013   #19
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Two questions:

1. On lenses that have native focusing tabs, what is the focus distance at which the tab is a the bottom (facing the mounted lens)?

2. Does Scotch mounting tape come off lenses? The reason I ask is that you usually use heat to remove these - something to be very cautious about with lenses. If you used dental floss to split it, does a mild solvent like Goof-Off get the adhesive off?

Thanks
Dante

Old 09-08-2013   #20
yossarian123
Sam I Am

I've got mine in front of me.

1) straight down, focus is at 1.5m (to be precise, it's pointing at the 1 in 1.5)
2) I used goof off and floss on my M9 to remove a Thumbie mounted with 3M double sided tape). No problems at all, I just used it very sparingly.

Old 09-08-2013   #21
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Thanks. The lenses I have with these seem to center on 1.5-1.7m (35/1.4 ASPH, 21-35 dual, 40 Rokkor). I was actually thinking of putting one of these on a 90 M-Hexanon, since it has a short throw, a light action, and the Heavystar tab just fits aft of the knurled part of the focus ring. Needs some compression to make contact, but it would be kind of cool if it worked...

Dante

HEAVYSTAR is back in the game
Old 04-14-2014   #22
sikuntet

HEAVYSTAR is back in the game

Hi guys, it is rather late but for those of you who are so desperate in wanting to add a focusing tab onto your lens/lenses, here is the link!

2 x Leica M Camera Lens Focusing Handle in Mint

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010714162...84.m1439.l2649

heavy star from ebay started to sell them again and i guess in a limited stock. So go and get one asap!

I am going to utilise this new product called "sugru". It is like a mouldable silicon that sticks really well and can be removed very cleanly.

Looking forward to receiving the focusing tab i just ordered.

Cheers,

Old 04-14-2014   #23
Landberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikuntet View Post
Hi guys, it is rather late but for those of you who are so desperate in wanting to add a focusing tab onto your lens/lenses, here is the link!

2 x Leica M Camera Lens Focusing Handle in Mint

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010714162...84.m1439.l2649

heavy star from ebay started to sell them again and i guess in a limited stock. So go and get one asap!

I am going to utilise this new product called "sugru". It is like a mouldable silicon that sticks really well and can be removed very cleanly.

Looking forward to receiving the focusing tab i just ordered.

Cheers,
Does it work with zeiss lenses?

Old 05-02-2014   #24
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Not to flog a dead thread, but when installed, how does one of these tabs sit on the 40 Rokkor? With the lens at infinity, it looks like the Heavystar tab would be slightly over the edge of the focusing ring (in other words, slightly wider than the ring itself - though the tab's screw hole would allow you to set it in a more foreward or less forward position, depending on the tab's orientation). I was going to send this to DAG to have it installed, but there isn't a lot of point if it won't fit right.

Thanks!
Dante