Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Canon RF

Canon RF For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Canon 100mm/f3.5 ltm
Old 07-21-2013   #1
Gordon Coale

Canon 100mm/f3.5 ltm

A few kind words about the tiny Canon 100/f3.5 in Leica thread mount. I have a chrome and black version from around 1955. I hadn't used it yet but I want to use it for some Gigapans on a Pen Mini so I did some test shots with it on my Panasonic GX1.

Wow!

I printed this at 16x20 and it is beautiful! On a micro four thirds camera it is equivalent to a 200mm lens.
Digital: Panasonic GH3 and GX7, Olympus Pen Mini E-PM2, Olympus Pen E-P2 converted to IR
gordy's camera straps for sale * my 500px portfolio * my feedback

Old 07-21-2013   #2
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

This is a favorite for me too. (Dante Stella is to blame for my Serenar lenses.) I have used it at FF/film, APS (150mm), and M43.

When the Dalai Lama visited here recently, I had it on the GXR and shot a series from about 80 feet away at 3200 iso/ 1/200-250 wide open.

More in the RFF gallery.

R/lo Graf

Old 07-23-2013   #3
rfaspen

Robert,
That's a nice shot of the Dalai Lama. When was he here last (fellow Willamette Valleyan)? Did he make it to Eugene or Salem? I remember a visit to Portland some years ago...

That GXR does a nice job with an old LTM lens in front.

Old 07-23-2013   #4
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

He was here in May(?) I have a number of shots from this "roll" in my gallery. My son and I got very good seating, because my partner/his mother is an Associate Dean at UO.

I have another 100 3.5, the later black version, bought from Japan, but someone must have rebuilt it wrong, because it works only as an extreme closeup, very nearly a macro, but without the advantage of sharp focus. Some day I will travel to Japan and locate their shop and use it as a brick to throw through the window. (No, I won't, really.)

R/lo Graf

Old 10-05-2013   #5
bennyng
Benny Ng

I'm a big fan of this lens too. It's a real pocket rocket and the images are fantastic if your copy has clear optics. Really under-rated for what it can deliver.

Cheers,

Old 10-05-2013   #6
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

Another APS-c variant, the XE1:

I have a later version of the lens that was sold to me as standard, but in truth (and probably unknown to the seller) had a +2 diopter rear element, so is good only as a super- macro on digital. I'll post some images from it soon.

R/lo Graf

Old 10-05-2013   #7
bennyng
Benny Ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhl-oregon View Post
I have a later version of the lens that was sold to me as standard, but in truth (and probably unknown to the seller) had a +2 diopter rear element, so is good only as a super- macro on digital. I'll post some images from it soon.
That's very interesting. Do you have pictures of the lens and the rear assembly? I'm curious as to why it does not focus.

Cheers,

Old 10-05-2013   #8
charjohncarter

My version is a 100mm Serenar, f4.0, all chrome. The focus works but dies at about 8 feet. I'm just too lazy to unscrew the lens portion and put the rest in carburetor cleaner to free up the dried grease. Well, some day, but it sure is every bit as sharp as my leitz mid teles from the same era.

Old 10-05-2013   #9
bennyng
Benny Ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
My version is a 100mm Serenar, f4.0, all chrome. The focus works but dies at about 8 feet. I'm just too lazy to unscrew the lens portion and put the rest in carburetor cleaner to free up the dried grease. Well, some day, but it sure is every bit as sharp as my leitz mid teles from the same era.

Ohh... I know this lens. It's no slouch either! If you do get around to cleaning it, i think you will find that it is well worth the time you spent.

Hope you'll get around to it one day.

Cheers,

Old 10-05-2013   #10
Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyng View Post
I'm a big fan of this lens too. It's a real pocket rocket and the images are fantastic if your copy has clear optics. Really under-rated for what it can deliver.

Cheers,
And sadly very many don't. Which may be why on the average its under-rated.

Old 10-06-2013   #11
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyng View Post
Ohh... I know this lens. It's no slouch either! If you do get around to cleaning it, i think you will find that it is well worth the time you spent.

Hope you'll get around to it one day.

Cheers,
Mine is beautifully clean too. The glass is clear, clear. I have used it but at 8 feet or more.

Old 10-14-2013   #12
traveler_101
American abroad

I bought one on the bay and the aperture ring is loose; should have sent it right back to the seller, but I didn't have time on that trip back to the States . . . so I kept it . So I used it to take semi-candid portraits of my daughter on my Bessa-T. Out of a whole roll one or two shots were in focus. It seems to work o.k. for long distance shots, suggesting to me that focus problem was with me not the lens--but I am not sure.

In the meantime, I've been using an Olympus E-PL1 to take digital images of my daughter with much better success. In that case, however, i found that while the Canon 100/3.5 is good on the E-PL1, it is not quite as good as the OM 100/2.8 SLR lens I have. And the OM lens is one stop faster.

Old 11-12-2013   #13
marek_

I've just service my black & silver version. A previous owner after dissembling the lens had reassembled it incorrectly, placing the 4th element back-to-front. Other than a small centre portion, pictures were everywhere, rendering swirling, out of focus images. But now it's excellent. Bit surprised how good - don't now why, as I've a few Canon lenses from that era and all are excellent. Think I'll be using this lens for close-up shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canon 100 f3.5 wall 1.jpg (98.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg canon 100 f3.5 wall 2.jpg (108.1 KB, 13 views)

Old 11-12-2013   #14
porktaco

love mine. really great lens

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49274520@N04/sets/

Old 11-12-2013   #15
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Sad to say that I have two of these (black and chrome), and both are far out of whack and need to be collimated. The glass is clear, though....

Old 11-12-2013   #16
uhoh7

At this distance the lens is incredibly sharp.

Shot on the nex 5 aps-c sensor.

Old 11-12-2013   #17
marek_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
Sad to say that I have two of these (black and chrome), and both are far out of whack and need to be collimated. The glass is clear, though....
The black and silver version is a simple construction. Have a look, getting it sorted may not be too difficult.

Here's a landscape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canon 100 f3.5 roofs.jpg (57.3 KB, 11 views)

Old 11-12-2013   #18
Bingley

It's a lovely lens, very sharp and capable of nice 3D effects. I don't use mine nearly enough. How sharp is it? Well...

Cholla-Blooms by bingley0522, on Flickr

M2, M4-2, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
XD-11, X700, and assorted MD Rokkor lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 11-12-2013   #19
burancap

This thread just cost me!

Old 11-26-2013   #20
dxq.canada

By any chance is there anyone with a diagram showing the lens elements of the later all black version ?

I was disassembling it and the rear elements fell out ... tying to figure out if I put them back in the correct orientation.

Old 11-26-2013   #21
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxq.canada View Post
By any chance is there anyone with a diagram showing the lens elements of the later all black version ?

I was disassembling it and the rear elements fell out ... tying to figure out if I put them back in the correct orientation.

DSC08099-1 by unoh7, on Flickr

Old 11-26-2013   #22
dxq.canada

Thanks for the image ... looks like I did guess right.

Hmm, that 100mm appears to have 6 elements.

From the looks of the two rear elements, it looks more like the image on the Canon Museum of the ver I model:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...00_35v1_bd.gif

looking for a faulty copy for parts
Old 5 Days Ago   #23
kuuan
Ricoh GXR M + NEX5N user

looking for a faulty copy for parts

it has been a while, but there was no way I could miss you, Robert ( rhl-oregon ) and KoNikon having clean copies that are assembled wrongly or have other mechanical issues.

this because I have two otherwise good copies of the black / chrome version which both have the same internal glass that is milky, etched to a degree that makes one useless, the other barley useable. I figuered that this is a typical problem for this lens and therefore never hoped to find someone who would have a copy for parts with that element clean, but you now gave me hope!

Am I lucky? Can one of you, or anyone reading this, sell me his faulty copy but with clean internal glasses ( resp. a clean lens element, the one behind the aperture ) rel. cheaply?

cheers, andreas

( oh, and btw. I have the same problem with the black 1.8/50. Again Ihave two copies with the same fault of the same inner element, just to a lesser degree, one is soft /glows, the other almost normal, but again I'd be very happy to find a clean glass element, best cheap from a lens for parts )

Old 4 Days Ago   #24
raid
Dad Photographer

I bought my 100/3-5 from KEH for $65. It needed some cleaning off internal haze. This is a very sharp lens.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 4 Days Ago   #25
rjschell

I concur that it's a great little lens, and it also works well on my NEX6.