Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 03-28-2011   #51
MC JC86
Negative Nancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosecret View Post
, but its mechanical performance won't be bested, and having full confidence shooting a 50 year old camera is next to priceless, and it looks nice to boot.

This is VERY VERY true (very x2) and something many people don't seem to get. I've been buying and selling cameras of this vintage for the past 10 years or so and using them for a little bit longer and quality servicing is almost always a good move. Enjoy it! look forward to seeing your results.

http://www.flickr.com/people/morecamerasthantalent/

Old 03-28-2011   #52
twopointeight

I didn't pay anything for my E3 as it was a present from a friend who inherited it. It was used but not abused. I noticed that inside the camera was a service sticker from Harry Fleanor, a good sign. So I sent it to him again for an overhaul and Maxwell screen. Its been back to Harry 2 more times over the past 10 years. He replaced the transport mechanism even though it worked, he said it would eventually malfunction. I was shooting a lot of film at the time, several hundred rolls over the past 10 years. If you get a good one, send it to Harry or someone good every 2 years or so. Get the screen. Exercise the shutter if you don't shoot enough film. My 2 cents.

Old 03-28-2011   #53
MC JC86
Negative Nancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopointeight View Post
I didn't pay anything for my E3 as it was a present from a friend who inherited it. It was used but not abused. I noticed that inside the camera was a service sticker from Harry Fleanor, a good sign. So I sent it to him again for an overhaul and Maxwell screen. Its been back to Harry 2 more times over the past 10 years. He replaced the transport mechanism even though it worked, he said it would eventually malfunction. I was shooting a lot of film at the time, several hundred rolls over the past 10 years. If you get a good one, send it to Harry or someone good every 2 years or so. Get the screen. Exercise the shutter if you don't shoot enough film. My 2 cents.
An overhaul or CLA every 2 years? Or did I read that wrong?

http://www.flickr.com/people/morecamerasthantalent/

Old 03-29-2011   #54
astrosecret

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.s.k. View Post
Good to know this. I'll be seeing him in the next couple of weeks to have him look at a camera or three. Bob worked for years at Canon so it's a tad surprising. I suspect his Rollei TLR parts inventory isn't at the level of Harry, Krikor, or Hanson (x2) but you never know. I do know he's done full shutter replacements for M bodies so anything is possible. I'll ask when I see him.
i saw the rollei parts bin and it wasn't huge, but he didn't replace anything for me, simply serviced them, which he is very good at doing. i watched him take it apart and troubleshoot it and the dude certainly is very familiar with the camera. great guy too. i'm sure if i had fleenor 'replace' the transport it would have cost 4-500$ and i just can't afford that for a camera like this.

Last edited by astrosecret : 04-02-2011 at 13:20.