Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Canon RF

Canon RF For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Canon 50/1.2
Old 08-20-2005   #1
ChrisN
Striving

Canon 50/1.2

I took a risk on ebay last week, and bid on a Canon P with a 50/1.2 lens. I'd planned to sell on the body and keep the lens. The body was very grubby, with a few scratches but it is very clean inside, the film advance is very smooth, the viewfinder is reasonably bright and the rangefinder image lines up well. So I might just find myself keeping this one for a while.

That 50/1.2 is big! It's in nice condition mechanically, smooth to focus, no oil on the iris blades and no scratches. However there's a fair bit of haze on one or other of the rear elements, and I suspect it might be within the compound element (in the canada balsam?). Anyone have experience with this? What does it look like to you?

Surprisingly the results are not as bad as I expected, if you stay away from very bright light sources. Better with colour than B&W. Not as contrasty as I prefer. I'll get it fixed in due course - can anyone recommend a good lens service person in Australia? I'll probably have to send it to the US if I can't get a good recommendation.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-20-2005   #2
back alley
just joe

i bet the contrast boosts up considerably after the cleaning.

my 50/1.4 seems so big to me i doubt i would be tempted to get a 1.2.
but it might be fun to play with one...

joe

heart soul & a camera

Old 08-20-2005   #3
ChrisN
Striving

Joe - if I have to send it to the US for CLA, I'll have them send it back via your place, and you can test it for me!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-20-2005   #4
Mackinaw
Think Different

The element that is directly behind the aperture tends to cloud up on many of these lenses. Pretty easy to clean too, if you'd like to do it yourself. Take a look at this thread which made the rounds a few months back. Instructions on how to take apart this lens are included.

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5329

Jim Bielecki

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 08-20-2005   #5
agoglanian
Roaming.

so that was you that bid on it! lol. i was debating on wether i should bit on this one, or the canon 7. turned out the canon 7 won, but didnt have the 1.2. lol, oh well that issue is over and done with. ( as soon as i get my money )

the 1.4 seems big? haaaaaaardly so hehe, a noctilux is large, and on a different scale, the Canon 50mm f/1 for EOS cameras. that is teetering on the edge of gigantic.

big lenses strike my fancy, cant explain why, they just look and feel so much better to me.

Analog - Digital

.Blog. // .Website.

Old 08-20-2005   #6
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

If it's the element on either side of the aperture mechanism (these are most likely to fog due to evaporating lubricants) you don't even need to do that much to get at it. Unscrew the tiny setscrew in the side of the ring ahead of the aperture ring (it's roughly in the 7 o'clock position facing the front) and you can unscrew the whole front group by grasping around the filter ring and turning. The diaphragm blades now are exposed, and with them the two elements on either side.

If the diaphragm is open to f/1.2 (do this before unscrewing to reduce the risk of blades popping off) you can reach the back one through it, and the forward one is immediately accessible. If these are the foggy ones, clean them off using normal, careful lens-cleaning practice. The forward one is very deeply dished, but it's no problem to clean.

If the foggy elements are elsewhere, you're looking at more involved disassembly, for which the directions mentioned above should be helpful.

Old 08-20-2005   #7
back alley
just joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN
Joe - if I have to send it to the US for CLA, I'll have them send it back via your place, and you can test it for me!

don't tease me like that big boy...

joe

heart soul & a camera

Old 08-20-2005   #8
back alley
just joe

"the 1.4 seems big? haaaaaaardly so hehe, a noctilux is large, and on a different scale, the Canon 50mm f/1 for EOS cameras. that is teetering on the edge of gigantic."

compared to the 35/2 or 35/2.8 - even the 50/1.8 - the 50/1.2 IS big!
i'm in it for the size as much as anything else and while i'm getting used to the 1.4 it likely will be the biggest lens mounted on the p. even the 100/3.5 is less of a handfull & small & light to boot!

joe

heart soul & a camera

Old 08-20-2005   #9
ChrisN
Striving

Thanks for all that good info people - I'll get onto it later today and see what I can clean off myself. Have a good weekend!

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-20-2005   #10
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
If it's the element on either side of the aperture mechanism (these are most likely to fog due to evaporating lubricants) you don't even need to do that much to get at it. Unscrew the tiny setscrew in the side of the ring ahead of the aperture ring (it's roughly in the 7 o'clock position facing the front) and you can unscrew the whole front group by grasping around the filter ring and turning. The diaphragm blades now are exposed, and with them the two elements on either side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw
The 50mm F1.2 is very simple to work on. If disassembled from the rear, just unscrew one retaining ring with a lens spanner and the entire focusing mount and distance scale part of the lens comes off in your hands. No need to worry about scribing anything, it only goes back in one way (has a notch which lnes up with a metal "block" on one side of the interior). The rear most lens group can be unscrewed using two fingers which exposes on more retaining ring.
OK time for some more expert advice. Coming in from the rear, I can remove the focusing mount, but the lens thus exposed doesn't want to unscrew with finger pressure Is it locked in with those two little set screws in the shoulder of the aluminum body?

Attacking it from the front, I can remove the little set screw, but once again the front element group won't move, with finger pressure. This one doesn;t want to play!

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-20-2005   #11
jlw

If you don't have an optical spanner, or are nervous about using one so close to the glass, you might try using a sheet of rubber.

At good hardware stores you can get rubber insulating tape (NOT "electrical tape.") This is solid rubber, is about 1/16 inch thick, and has no adhesive; however, the rubber itself is naturally sticky, so there's a red liner applied to one side to keep it from adhering to itself. Peel off a piece long enough to wrap around the lens assembly, remove the red liner, wrap it around, and suddenly you find you have a mighty grip.

If you can't find this tape, look for a thin sheet of rubber in the plumbing department.

You may need to use the same treatment to get the front group off the lens; even after loosening the setscrew, it may be tight enough to be difficult to turn by hand. I still think this is the route you should be following at first, rather than taking individual elements out of their cells; the lens is designed so that the front and rear groups separate easily, and there's almost no way to get them misaligned when putting them back together.

I just put together a page for someone else wanting to disassemble a Canon lens. It's for a 50/1.4, but the 1.2 is very, very similar (especially in how the front group comes off.) Here's the link: click here.

Old 08-20-2005   #12
ChrisN
Striving

Thank Brian and JLW. I've got some of that tape - we call it "self=amalgamating" - after you wrap a joint or connector the tape melds itself into a solid mass. Good stuff.

That optical spanner looks good - where do you get one of those from? At the front, the trim ring (with the lettering and serial number etc) unscrews easily, but there's nowhere else to go under it!

I gather it is the entire black housing I need to remove, after undoing the set screw.

I'll try the tape. JLW - great work on that instruction sequence!

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-20-2005   #13
jlw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN
At the front, the trim ring (with the lettering and serial number etc) unscrews easily, but there's nowhere else to go under it!

I gather it is the entire black housing I need to remove, after undoing the set screw.
That's correct -- you need to grab the outside of the front rim, not the trim ring inside it. You might want to note its starting position relative to the main body of the lens, so you can get it back in the same position when you reinstall it.

"Self-amalgamating," huh? Now I'll know what to ask for at the hardware store, rather than "that sticky rubber tape"!

Old 08-20-2005   #14
ChrisN
Striving

Tried the tape. Front element will not move. Just managed to unscrew the rear element, exposing the retaining ring beneath. Cover me - I'm going in!

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-20-2005   #15
back alley
just joe

you guys are so brave!

and i mean that.
joe

heart soul & a camera

Old 08-20-2005   #16
ChrisN
Striving

Well. here's the result. I was about to write that the haze is embedded between the lens elements, but I've had another look and it might be a coating on the inside. I've tried iso-pro and optometrists lens cleaner fluid - what's next?

At least I've learned a lot about this lens today, and I've got some photos to send off to Essex for an estimate if I need to. I might be able to send just the lens group with the haze, which will save me a bundle on postage.

Looking at the lens like this, it amazes me that any light gets through to the film at all! I won't be so paraonoid about a few minor marks in the future!

Thanks for keeping me company on this journey of discovery!

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-20-2005   #17
jlw

Yikes! That might be etching rather than just haze.

Old 08-20-2005   #18
ChrisN
Striving

Now don't be a tease. What does that mean?

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-20-2005   #19
back alley
just joe

fungus.
no fix for that except a new piece of glass.

i don't think it can be polished out.

sorry and i hope i'm wrong...

heart soul & a camera

Old 08-20-2005   #20
laptoprob
back to basics

Well, there may be another solution. I had solid white haze on a lens that did not go off with 'friendly' solutions. In the end I used steel fix, an extremely fine polisher. As a last remedy. First I tried it on a regular piece of glass to test.
I was relieved to find the lens clean! Afterwards a cleaning in a 'friendly' solution and voila.
The clean assembly was the next tricky part!

In Holland it is calles 'staal-fix', made by SC Johnson. The big chemistry company.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

IR and concert pics

Old 08-21-2005   #21
ChrisN
Striving

Hi Brian - yes it is definitely on the concave surface of the cemented pair, on the face nearest the aperture iris. I'm hoping that it can be polished off - can anyone recommend someone to do the job? I guess I've got nothing to lose at this stage by trying.

Your job on the $21 lens certainly came out ok - what model lens was that?

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-21-2005   #22
Mackinaw
Think Different

Chris-------Your haze is exactly where I found mine, which is on the element nearest the aperture blades. If it's any consolation, the haze on my 50/1.2 was worse than your lens. I'm also surprised that it doesn't come off with standard lens cleaaner (mine did). I doubt it's fungus (doesn't look like it), though you may try a solution of 50% ammonia with 50% peroxide which is one solution commonly used to remove fungus.

Brian asked about any repair shops in Australia, I know of one, but won't be able to supply an address until later this evening (traveliing this weekend).

Until then.

Jim Bielecki

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 08-21-2005   #23
ChrisN
Striving

Thanks Brian and Jim. I've emailed Anderson - never heard of them before. I'll also email Essex too - everthing I've heard of them so far has been good, and postage should be fairly quick.

Jim - thanks - let me know any other name you might know of.

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 09-21-2005   #24
ChrisN
Striving

Some progress. I sent the lens element to Essex a few weeks back. I received an email today advising that they can clean it, and the cost. I've told them to go ahead. Hopefully I'll soon have a clean lens element on its way back to me. Fingers crossed!

Good timing - my wife's car stopped working yesterday. Just a little part in the ignition system - $380 later and it's running again.

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr