I decided to make a pinhole camera this weekend. I was in the mood to experiment. The last one I made one was in 2000, for a university art project, it was a lot of black tape, cardboard and this weird aluminum tape I had for some reason.
For the box, I just picked up a cigar box from the Total Wine and More for $1.49. I actually picked up 3 of them for future experimentation.
Total cost for this endeavor was $25. The building materials were $20 which ended up being far more than I needed.
I cut out a hole to fit a Bay 1 yellow filter. I read that this would cut down the contrastiness of the paper negative.
I looked for a brass shim at the arts and crafts store. No luck. I didn't want to bother walking over to the Lowes or going to Home Depot either. I just settled with the aluminum can approach.
I punctured a small hole into the aluminum with a gentle tap from a hammer onto a soft cloth. I have no way of measuring the hole but it was tiny.
Superglued to the inside of the box so the Bay 1 filter could be put on from the outside. Gaffers tape was put on the edges to prevent any more light from coming in.
To my joy, the Bay 1 filter went on superbly and sturdily just like it normally would on a camera. This was not by design, but a great perk.
Ready to go.
I initially made 2 exposures (I loaded and unloaded in a changing bag) before I set up the bathroom. One exposure was in the sun for a minute 20 seconds. I based this time on an online exposure calculator, thinking my hole was about 1/3 of a mm. Another exposure was taken in the shade for 20 minutes.
Both exposures were under exposed and there wasn't much to see. However, the highlights in the shady photo were well exposed so I went from there.
If anything this shot was a bit over exposed, but it's OK. Some nice details in the wood.
This 20 minute exposure came out the best. Maybe a little underexposed but it's fine. The neg looks great. This photos are inverted from my digital point and shoot.
This last shot was initially in the sun, but things change quickly this time of year and after 15 minutes everything was in the shade. I made a 45 minute exposure in total, but I'm not sure even that was enough.
I wasn't too wild about the composition anyway.
Unfortunately in my haste I left open the box and envelope of my 5x7s. Everything ruined. That's OK, there wasn't much left. These were leftover fiber based papers anyway, and they won't contact print very well anyway. Good for some experimenting, though.
I think next time I'm thinking of making a longer focal length, and thus maybe a larger hole.