Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Certo Six with fixed rangefinder
Old 11-04-2007   #1
P C Headland

Certo Six with fixed rangefinder

Thanks to literiter, my Certo Six now has a nice bright viewfinder and a nice contrasty RF patch. The instructions provided made the repair nice and simple.

Having given the camera a quick check out at home, I thought the best way to really see if I'd fixed it properly would be to take it out and take some shots! So, armed with the Certo and a couple of other cameras (one other was the 524/2 6x9), I went for a wander round Wellington. I ended up somewhere I'd actually never been before, the National War Memorial. Plenty of interesting possibities, and a chance to test the RF was accurate.

The camera was loaded with Neopan 400, and the film developed in PC-TEA 1+50 for 10 minutes. I really like this combination; heck, I like just about all films in PC-TEA.

So, once again, my thanks to literiter for the comprehensive instructions and photos.

This weekend I've cleaned up another couple of folders, a pre-'42 Mamiya Six and a Super Ikonta 532/16 that I picked up last week. The SI is really nice, and now I've given the Mamiya a good clean, it too looks very nice. I hope to shoot them both over the next week or so.

Flickr -- Minus

Old 11-04-2007   #2
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Even at the small resolution of my LCD screen - that first image is so sharp and the tonality gives it added texture. I guess that is why we shoot medium format. I love the composition of it as well.

Among items to refurbish on an old RF folder, such as servicing the film transport mechanisms, the replacement of the beam splitter and sometimes the front surfaced mirror of the RF, along with greasing the focus helical allows one to see how these cameras performed when new.

I mentioned the film transport mechanism, because I noticed that you have a SI 532/16.

Question - Do you mix PC-TEA from your own recipe or buy it prepackaged?

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Rollei 35 S, Oly 35RC, plus an XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtland Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta - 524/2, plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Certo 6
Old 11-04-2007   #3
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

Certo 6

This is a gem of a camera and I rate it as one of my favorites. Nice shots.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 11-04-2007   #4
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

The precision of your framing in all three shots - but esp. the second one - is amazing.

Old 11-04-2007   #5
P C Headland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand
The precision of your framing in all three shots - but esp. the second one - is amazing.
I could never frame quite that accurately with those viewfinders - this is down to the magic of PS Still, they are displayed as intended, and not "rescued"

Solinar: I mix my PC-TEA from scratch.

Flickr -- Minus

What is the mix for PC -TEA
Old 11-04-2007   #6
Magpie

Question What is the mix for PC -TEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by P C Headland
Solinar: I mix my PC-TEA from scratch.
Love the shots, I have a Certo 6 on its way from the US, what is the mix for PC-TEA, I would like to try it.

Magpie: adj, of or like a magpie; characterized by the habit of hoarding ascribed to magpies.

Leica M6
Leica M8
Leica R6
Leica R6.2
Voigtlander Bessa I
Voigtlander Bessa II
Voigtlander Bessa III (On Order!)
Canonet QL17

Old 11-05-2007   #7
literiter

Glad I could help!

This is a good a series of pics one could ever hope for. That camera of yours is up there with the best. That old lens is sharp and contrasty as well I'll bet there is no astigmatism. Did you use a lens hood?

I think that an advantage of the lens set up in a Certo Six over say, a retrofocus Hasselblad 80mm, is the small number of lens elements. Less lens surfaces, less flare etc.

The Super Ikonta B (532/16) is also a great camera. I have three of these. One has a coated Opton Tessar and is very nice. The others have uncoated Tessars and are distinguishable (if you look really hard) by their tendency to flare if used without a lens hood. Incidentally, the only real problem I have with the Super Ikonta Bs, is the fact that it's hard to make a lens hood stay on in a wind. The lens hood I have with the Certo screws in, and stays put.

Vincent

Old 11-05-2007   #8
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie
Love the shots, I have a Certo 6 on its way from the US, what is the mix for PC-TEA, I would like to try it.
I have a more basic question: What is PC-TEA?

Old 11-05-2007   #9
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Obviously some tea based developer that is perspective correcting (PC) as well

Old 11-05-2007   #10
P C Headland

What's PC-TEA?

It's a developer made from Phenidone, Vitamin C and Triethanolamine (TEA).

It has a look somewhat akin to Xtol, with development times similar to D76 1+1, and keeping properties like Rodinal. It's a one-shot developer, usually used at between 1+50 and 1+100 dilutions. It works well for inversion or continuous agitation

For 100ml:
- 9g Vitamin C powder
- 0.25g Phenidone
- 100ml TEA

I usually mix up 500ml at a time. I disolve the Vitamin C in a little warm water, and the Phenidone in a little alcohol (I use methylated spirits). Heat the TEA in the microwave to about hot coffee/tea temperature, then stir in the other ingredients. Keep stiring and re-heat if necessary until the solution is clear.

I didn't use a lens hood (I do have one that fits), as I've found that most of my folders don't really need one (The TLR definitely does).

Flickr -- Minus

Old 11-06-2007   #11
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Neat, thanks for the explanation.
But that explains the developer, what about the fixer? which one to use?

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
ki_

It's been ten years since this thread has been opened, but maybe anyways someone could help me, where I can find the instructions of how to repair the certo 6.

I have the chance to buy one cheap but the seller does not know anything about it, so I guess it needs a big CLA and the rangefinder prism recoated.

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
ki_

Ah it seems as if I have found it:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...078#post647078

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki_ View Post
It's been ten years since this thread has been opened, but maybe anyways someone could help me, where I can find the instructions of how to repair the certo 6.

I have the chance to buy one cheap but the seller does not know anything about it, so I guess it needs a big CLA and the rangefinder prism recoated.
You might find these two old posts of my of use too...

The customised Certo 6 I once owned: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=65609
If you need a manual: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=64229

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by P C Headland View Post
Thanks to literiter, my Certo Six now has a nice bright viewfinder and a nice contrasty RF patch. The instructions provided made the repair nice and simple.

Having given the camera a quick check out at home, I thought the best way to really see if I'd fixed it properly would be to take it out and take some shots! So, armed with the Certo and a couple of other cameras (one other was the 524/2 6x9), I went for a wander round Wellington. I ended up somewhere I'd actually never been before, the National War Memorial. Plenty of interesting possibities, and a chance to test the RF was accurate.

The camera was loaded with Neopan 400, and the film developed in PC-TEA 1+50 for 10 minutes. I really like this combination; heck, I like just about all films in PC-TEA.

So, once again, my thanks to literiter for the comprehensive instructions and photos.
Impressed by your precision. But what or who is a "literiter"?