Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-Pro Series

View Poll Results: What are your plans for the X Pro-1?
I have my pre-order in 58 17.06%
I'll wait to see a demo model or reviews, but I'm very interested 76 22.35%
Perhaps within a year after the bugs get worked out 59 17.35%
I'm like it, but its too expensive. Maybe used in the future 52 15.29%
I read about it, but I don't plan on owning it 83 24.41%
The Fuji, what? Haven't heard of it 12 3.53%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2012   #281
jskjsk

Can anyone speak to quality and fit for Kipon adapter?

*I have noticed that they raised the price by $3

Old 03-23-2012   #282
Steveh

I got the full set (body and all three lenses) yesterday - haven't opened up the 60mm so I can exchange it if I have a change of heart but I'll be taking the body and the other two lenses for a spin in Cambridge tomorrow morning. Hope to be able to start an X-Pro 1 images thread some time tomorrow afternoon unless someone beats me to it!

I'm quite impressed so far - the camera is very easy to set up if you're an X100 user, but the controls are easier to use because there's more space on the body. In lots of ways it reminds me of a Contax G2 in shape and design, but without that "hewn from solid" feel. The camera is light but the paint finish is gorgeous. Shutter sound is lovely - soft and quiet, vastly less obtrusive than the M8 "staple gun" - like a kiss.

Weight to me is about right - it's not a Leica but none the worse for that, and the lenses are very light indeed. They've been quite clever (if people like us are the target market) in adopting the classic rangefinder design cues with the square lens hoods etc., but holding the lenses next to my Elmarit 28mm they're chalk and cheese in feel and solidity - I don't have any problem with that but if you're a hard core Leica traditionalist you probably will. The aperture rings feel as light and plasticy as people have said, but I'm pleased enough just to have one on a modern camera.

More tomorrow!

http://ricohgryear.tumblr.com/

Old 03-23-2012   #283
CopperB
M3 Noob

Got a call from Vistek just before closing tonight to say mine is in. I just ordered the 35 1.4 and will wait for the M mount so I can use my RF glass. They had thought I'd be waiting till April. Fuji must have shipped a good percentage of the orders right off of the bat. May have to drive into TO tomorrow to pick it up. Hehehe...

Leica M4-P / Canonet QL17 / Fuji x-pro1 / D700
www.pattihintonphotography.com

Old 03-23-2012   #284
chris00nj
Young Luddite

Anyone who preordered from Adorama or B&H better hope that the Fuji arrives soon because both are closed for passover April 6th - 15th.

Flickr

Blog

Old 03-23-2012   #285
celluloidprop

It's available in Canada, and it's almost two weeks until Passover. Yeeeeeeesh.

Old 03-23-2012   #286
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Canned my OM-D order, X-Pro1 should be on the way shortly. Kinda excited about it actually! Should look cool with my black G2s as an added kicker.

Old 03-23-2012   #287
hub
Crazy French

Got mine in Vancouver, local dealer. They got 4, two were spoken for, at least in that store.

I shot this evening a party and like it. Battery was half charged out of the box.

Old 03-24-2012   #288
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Very cool to see the slow but steady dissemination of these cameras. I'm willing to bet that the US orders will be filled on time.

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-24-2012   #289
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdemas View Post
Canned my OM-D order, X-Pro1 should be on the way shortly. Kinda excited about it actually! Should look cool with my black G2s as an added kicker.
That's because it IS exciting!

It would look cool with just about ANY of those fun cameras in your signature!

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-24-2012   #290
Canon Alberic

Hi everyone

I've had my X-Pro1 (and 18mm lens) for ten days now and have posted some initial images and thoughts here:

http://douglasmccarthy.me/2012/03/di...a-x-pro1-user/

I have also added links, at the bottom of page, to the most useful online X-Pro1 reviews and samples I've found.

Early days but I'm very much enjoying the camera so far. Here's a sample jpeg (1/30 sec at f/4, ISO 400, film simulation mode: black and white with yellow filter):

Old 03-24-2012   #291
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Lovely study in greytones!

Enjoy your new camera!

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-24-2012   #292
Spyro

nice one
I wonder what it would look like if you moved a bit to the left and completely hid the exit behind that pillar. It would also give you a cleaner composition (avoid the overlapping with the left ceiling light). But I like it as is too.

BTW this is the kind of usability that made me love my x100 and I know will help me love my XP1 (when I finally get it)...
unsure if my composition details work because of viewing parallax? Switch to EVF momentarily and have a look through the lens

Old 03-25-2012   #293
Canon Alberic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
nice one
I wonder what it would look like if you moved a bit to the left and completely hid the exit behind that pillar. It would also give you a cleaner composition (avoid the overlapping with the left ceiling light). But I like it as is too.

BTW this is the kind of usability that made me love my x100 and I know will help me love my XP1 (when I finally get it)...
unsure if my composition details work because of viewing parallax? Switch to EVF momentarily and have a look through the lens
Hi Spyro

I was back at the scene today with a tripod and I used the EVF for framing and assessment, which was tremendously handy. Here's another version:

I have some other new material so I think I'll start a new thread.

Old 03-25-2012   #294
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Quote:
Kent,

I saw your post on G+ that you broke down. So it took OM-D's place huh? Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the X-Pro1.

I still have my OM-D order in place, and thought it would complement my M8.2 as M8 has cons of rangefinder cam (long min. Focus, MF etc). It seems X-Pro1's lenses can get fairly close (18cm or 28cm), and I can share the M lenses with it via adapter. Of course I can do the same with OM-D, but 2x crop factor will cut of lot of image circle...

b/w japanese ****.

flickr | RFF Gallery | @SuguruN | Sug on G+ | Portfolio (beta)

Old 03-25-2012   #295
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post
Kent,

I saw your post on G+ that you broke down. So it took OM-D's place huh? Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the X-Pro1.

I still have my OM-D order in place, and thought it would complement my M8.2 as M8 has cons of rangefinder cam (long min. Focus, MF etc).

Hi Sug,

I've an OM-D on order for the very reasons you mentioned, seeing the OM-D as a utilitarian gap filler doing those jobs RFs don't do well.
It would also have worked out well in yesterdays rain.

But I know Kent's Xpro1 is going to get a lot of attention when it arrives - it's sure to beat the OM-D for street cred and at high ISOs.

I would however be tempted by an evolution of the X100.

Donald.

Old 03-25-2012   #296
CopperB
M3 Noob

For the x-pro1 shooter who has everything.... I have a birthday coming up if anyone needs a gift idea.

http://thedigitalvisual.com/the-9000...in-style-means

Old 03-25-2012   #297
Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon Alberic View Post
Hi Spyro

I was back at the scene today with a tripod and I used the EVF for framing and assessment, which was tremendously handy. Here's another version:
Hey thanks for taking the time, I hope you didnt do it just for my benefit! I think I like both versions actually

Old 03-27-2012   #298
celluloidprop

Was hoping I'd get a surprise call from my local camera shop today. I guess if I don't get one tomorrow (assuming they arrive) I'll find out how far down I am on the list and decide if I just want to order from Henry's (and save almost $200 in tax...).

Old 03-27-2012   #299
PhotoMat

I was on the B&H waiting list until I cancelled yesterday. I placed an order with Henry's this morning and I received a shipping notice a couple of hours ago.

Old 03-27-2012   #300
thegman

Looks cool, but if I was to go digital, it would likely be to an SLR of some kind. The X-Pro is teetering towards Sigma SD-1 or Sony full frame money, so I think I'd go down that road.

Old 03-27-2012   #301
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth

Kent,

I still have my OM-D order in place, and thought it would complement my M8.2 as M8 has cons of rangefinder cam (long min. Focus, MF etc). It seems X-Pro1's lenses can get fairly close (18cm or 28cm), and I can share the M lenses with it via adapter. Of course I can do the same with OM-D, but 2x crop factor will cut of lot of image circle...
Yup Sug, I decided to give it a whirl
In place of the OM-D. Simply an impulsive change as I want to try to use the XP1 for street, something I wouldn't use the OM for. I'll eventually probably get an OM-D as my GF-1 and G1 are getting a little long in the tooth from a sensor perspective.

I look forward to hearing what you and Donald think of the OM and I'll be sure to droll on about my XP1 experiences.

Some great fun choices right now in the camera world, never a dull moment.

Old 03-27-2012   #302
CopperB
M3 Noob

Mine arrived from Vistek this afternoon. Battery is charging. I bought the 35 1.4 to hold me over until the M mount adapter is released. Hehehe... On the downside, I'm home sick with pneumonia so no street shooting for me this week. Will have to make do with shots around the house.

Old 03-27-2012   #303
vrgard

Quote:
Yup Sug, I decided to give it a whirl
In place of the OM-D. Simply an impulsive change as I want to try to use the XP1 for street, something I wouldn't use the OM for. I'll eventually probably get an OM-D as my GF-1 and G1 are getting a little long in the tooth from a sensor perspective.

I look forward to hearing what you and Donald think of the OM and I'll be sure to droll on about my XP1 experiences.

Some great fun choices right now in the camera world, never a dull moment.
Hey Kent, Sug & Donald,

Would really like to get together with you guys when all your new toys roll in. These new cameras have caught my fancy and I would enjoy seeing them "in the flesh" and hearing your thoughts and experiences. Besides, it would be a good excuse for another local "beer & gear," don't you think?

-Randy

Old 03-27-2012   #304
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrgard

Hey Kent, Sug & Donald,

Would really like to get together with you guys when all your new toys roll in. These new cameras have caught my fancy and I would enjoy seeing them "in the flesh" and hearing your thoughts and experiences. Besides, it would be a good excuse for another local "beer & gear," don't you think?

-Randy
Absolutely Randy! We'll do it and maybe sneak a little shooting in too.

Old 03-27-2012   #305
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Quote:
Absolutely Randy! We'll do it and maybe sneak a little shooting in too.
Hehe yes let's do it. I hope the meeting won't cost me some $2.3k afterwards.

b/w japanese ****.

flickr | RFF Gallery | @SuguruN | Sug on G+ | Portfolio (beta)

Old 03-27-2012   #306
vrgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post
Hehe yes let's do it. I hope the meeting won't cost me some $2.3k afterwards.
I have the same fear, Sug. Yet that siren sound is calling...

Old 03-27-2012   #307
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Kent,
Haven't you looked out the window lately? I think the weather-sealed OM-D might better suit your wintery ambulations around North Beach. Wait for the titanium XP2 coming out this summer.
Jamie

Old 03-28-2012   #308
macjim

I've been using mine over the weekend while on holiday and I'm impressed. A few bad points to look our for. I found the power switch was a little easy to knock on while placing the camera back into my camera bag so watch for that. The electronic viewfinder was a little on the dark side web in use compared to the OVF. The rubber cap on the 35mm lens hood is very easy to knock of accidentally do keep an eye on that too. I'm shooting RAW so I'm a little puzzled about the ISO settings as I can't seem to be able to select fully auto. I've got it at auto (3200) which is fine for now. A little reading of the manual is needed here. The ease of use, the lightness of the lens and body, the optical viewfinder made the camera a delight to use and when used in conjunction with my M9, I found the similarities between each camera made the x-pro1 easy and familiar to use. I've not yet looked at the results of my photography from the x-pro1 as I'm just haven't had time to do so plus Lightroom 4 isn't yet compatible with it for RAW files — plus Lightroom 4 is screwed up just now anyway as it shouldn't have been released with all the bugs it has just now but that's another story!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Old 03-28-2012   #309
gavinlg

I finally got a play with a working unit of the x-pro1 and 35mm lens. First impression that I just can't seem to shake - I'm 99.8% sure that my x100 is faster focusing. Like... noticeably faster. Please someone tell me the unit I was using was faulty or something...

Old 03-28-2012   #310
macjim

Gavinlg. Can't answer your question as I've never owned an X100 but all the reviews I've read have said the X-Pro1 is an improvement in focusing speeds. it's not lightning quick as I know, I have the Sony nex-5n and it's quicker. It also depends on what you're trying to shoot. The best way I can answer you is to say take the X100 with you an try shooting the same image side-by-side and that would answer the question. Is focusing speeds a critical thing for you? If not, then I think you'd be happy with the X-Pro1 — I am! I'm now thinking about selling my Sony nex-5n twin lens kit to fund the purchase of the 18mm lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Old 03-28-2012   #311
Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
I finally got a play with a working unit of the x-pro1 and 35mm lens. First impression that I just can't seem to shake - I'm 99.8% sure that my x100 is faster focusing. Like... noticeably faster. Please someone tell me the unit I was using was faulty or something...
I have them both here, I think the 18mm is faster than the 35mm and the x100 is somewhere in between.

In MF the ring on the 35 is better than the x100 (faster, less laggy, less jumpy) and the 18 is much better. Almost usable

BTW the lens pouch looks like it's made for the x100 :P

Old 03-28-2012   #312
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
I have them both here, I think the 18mm is faster than the 35mm and the x100 is somewhere in between.

In MF the ring on the 35 is better than the x100 (faster, less laggy, less jumpy) and the 18 is much better. Almost usable

BTW the lens pouch looks like it's made for the x100 :P

Interesting - glad you got yours! I suppose that it would make sense that the 35mm would be slower, being f1.4 would mean it would have a longer focus draw and the AF system would need to be more precise...

BTW Spyro I would love to see some photos/impressions from you on the x-pro1!

Old 03-28-2012   #313
Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
BTW Spyro I would love to see some photos/impressions from you on the x-pro1!
here's one from today, but maybe we should start a thread?

* by _Pachinko_, on Flickr

As for the camera, what can I say, I like
It reminds me a lot of my ZM, it's about the same size, weight and build quality, only quieter. Shot it side by side with a friend and his M9 and it's a bit quieter than that too. It definitely feels japanese but one of the better ones, more Lexus than Corolla sort of thing
Curious to see how it ages, I'm a bit rough with my gear.

For everything else like IQ and high ISO I'm probably not the best person to comment, as I would buy this camera even if it was 5mp and maxed at ISO400. To me the biggest attractions are the things I knew since it was announced, the decent OVF, intuitive ergonomics and most of all the ability to quickly check for viewing parallax through the evf with a flick of a switch. I have missed countless photos with RFs because of this, for example in the photo above, her eyes (which was the whole point of the photo and I was waiting for her to notice me) would possibly be half hidden under the counter because of the lens being lower than the VF. Dont know if that makes sense to anybody else but to me it's a big deal.
As for the rest of the camera... whatever, I'm easy.