Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Is there a diopter for the Canon 7 or.....
Old 03-17-2017   #1
Spider67

Is there a diopter for the Canon 7 or.....

Hi,
I noticed that I cant see properly through my 7's VF when wearing my glasses.
I have to change to the left (the weaker eye, with less correction) or to take my glasses off, so that I can see without Problems at Close distances (2 to 5 meters)
Are diopters available or is there a way to tweak the VF?
Greeting from Vienna/Austria
Des

Old 03-17-2017   #2
Goody

There are no diopters available but I took a rectangular Nikon eyepiece diopter DK 20C ($15.00) and removed the lens by bending the little plastic tabs with a jewelers screwdriver. I then sawed the frame of the diopter off to minimum thickness by running a hacksaw through the slots that it normally mounts with, and ran the back over a sanding block. Remounted the lens in the diopter. Total time about 15 minutes. Then affixed it over the regular eyepiece with a few bits of double faced (removeable) foam tape on the sides. You can see them in the attached photo -- at some point I'll do a neater job! I've been shooting with it for about a week and it seems to stay in place well. Be aware the Nikon eyepiece diopters are not exactly as listed as they allow for some correction built into the Nikons, so a minus 3 diopter is actually minus 2. Some of the Canon eyepieces seem to have 1/2 diopter correction and some have none.

A more correct way would be to unscrew the eyepiece on the camera and replace the lens - but it's hard to unscrew it without buggering it up -- and I had no luck finding a shop who could make a lens the correct size.

Attached is a picture of the fix - which is reverseable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C7.jpg (25.6 KB, 17 views)

Old 03-17-2017   #3
Spider67

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply!! So I am not the only one who has a Problem with the 7s VF.
I will try to take that way!
Looks like a Job well done!

Old 03-18-2017   #4
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider67 View Post
Hi,
I noticed that I cant see properly through my 7's VF when wearing my glasses.
I have to change to the left (the weaker eye, with less correction) or to take my glasses off, so that I can see without Problems at Close distances (2 to 5 meters)
Are diopters available or is there a way to tweak the VF?
Greeting from Vienna/Austria
Des
Canon did make replacement diopters for the 7 and 7s, but good luck trying to find any.

Probably not practical, but the diopter on the 7sZ is different than the 7. A noticeable difference if you’re farsighted. You could put a diopter from a 7sZ on your 7.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 04-01-2017   #5
Goody

Interesting - I purchased a spare screw in eyepiece from DAG for my 7 and noticed that the lens has no correction - the original from the camera has a slight minus correction (-.5 or -1). Perhaps that's the difference.