Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do your eyeglasses look like the front of a Summar?
You can tell I shoot with RFs because my eyeglasses have more scratches than a BGN-grade Summar 135 43.41%
Because I need to wear my eyeglasses, my enjoyment of RF photography is reduced 900 percent 56 18.01%
I realize how lucky I am not to have to wear eyeglasses 19 6.11%
I don't feel sorry for eyeglass wearers because that just means there's more RF gear for me 6 1.93%
I have no problems shooting RFs with my eyeglasses 120 38.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2015   #81
Jimbo035
James M Turner

One reason I bought my Contax lllA was because the viewfinder eyepiece still had its black enamel ring screwed on - which presumably as intended - prevents my eyeglasses from being scratched. Other's Ive seen have lost theirs, so always check that 'protector' is firmly in place, and like to believe its the original one fitted to the camera in 1956

Here's the URL of a photo of another lllA which still has its eyepiece ring in place
http://www.timeless11.com/wp-content...Ia-CD-back.jpg

Last edited by Jimbo035 : 11-01-2015 at 13:27. Reason: image linked

Old 11-01-2015   #82
wallace

I sold my lovely Canon P because I could not see the 35 mm frame lines.

Old 11-01-2015   #83
CMur12

Another left-eyed eyeglass wearer here.

My RF is limited to a Canonet, so I may not qualify for this poll in the eyes of some. I have mainly used this camera for travel, for which it has been perfect, but I have used it very little otherwise. Fortunately, I can see the whole frame with eyeglasses on.

Most of my cameras have plastic facings on the eyepieces, so I don't scratch my eyeglasses. In the case of cameras without such plastic facings, I apply a little bit of tape to the facing to protect my glasses.

I got an anglefinder to use with my 35mm SLRs on a tripod and it has an adjustable diopter built in. Though I haven't done much with it yet, I could adjust it for use with or without glasses. My vision is around 20/200, so I could scout an image, choose the composition, and focus with my glasses on. Then I could remove my glasses to more critically examine the whole frame and make final adjustments. I could even look up at the scene directly without my glasses on and see it well enough for purposes of checking basic layout. In practice, with careful eye placement, I can see the whole viewing screen of my SLRs, especially in the case of the older SR-T match-needle models with lower finder magnification, and I just leave my glasses on. This is especially true when using cameras handheld.

TLRs and waist-level finders (WLFs), which I use more and more, solve all my problems of wearing glasses and of left-eye dominance.

I have a LOT to say about being a left-eyed photographer, but I'll save that for another occasion.

- Murray

Old 11-01-2015   #84
ruby.monkey

Didn't mind too much about my old specs (which got scratched to buggery) but with my new pair I'm waiting for a set of eyepiece protectors to arrive before I pick up my Leicas again.

Old 11-01-2015   #85
cfritze

After seeing a post by Jono Slack on the Leica forum, I experimented with contact lenses so my viewfinder eye is corrected for middle and far-distance, and my left eye is for reading. Neither correction is bigger than 2.5. It took a few months for my brain to adjust, but it's made shooting with rangefinders markedly more enjoyable.

Old 11-01-2015   #86
CMur12

Contact lenses didn't work for me (soft contacts, anyway). I discovered that when I peer into the camera's viewfinder, my eye bulges outward, causing a focus shift in the contact lens.

- Murray

Old 11-01-2015   #87
dct

I where glasses since many decades but have no problem using them on camera viewfinders because I changed the finish already years ago to hardened surfaces. Before I got indeed some scratches coming form the viewfinders.

Regarding the angle of view with glasses on, I'm used to move slightly my view around to see the 28mm frame on my Hexar RF: Not really a problem.

Old 11-01-2015   #88
Rayt

I use Leica diopters on my M's and they don't scratch my glasses. They are -0.5 and pretty weak.

Old 11-01-2015   #89
Prest_400
Multiformat

I have glasses and the main annoyance is them being a barrier and higher eye point, having difficulties to see the whole VF. No scratches problem at all, but I'm not using any camera with a metallic eyecup.
With the OM-1 it's OK, as I can see the whole image fairly well, although sometimes I have to put a bit of pressure into the glasses to see the whole better.

My GW690III seems to have a lower eyepoint and the glasses don't allow me to see the extreme edges of the framelines in horizontal, but in vertical it's quite worse. I'm thinking of using disposable contact lenses for those days I want to shoot, as the VF looks lovely without any glasses getting in between. The problem is that everything is blurry enough to not be useable.

Old 11-02-2015   #90
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
My GW690III seems to have a lower eyepoint and the glasses don't allow me to see the extreme edges of the framelines in horizontal, but in vertical it's quite worse. I'm thinking of using disposable contact lenses for those days I want to shoot, as the VF looks lovely without any glasses getting in between. The problem is that everything is blurry enough to not be useable.
The Fujis take the whole group of Nikon F2/FE/FM/F3 (non HP) compatible dioptres - there are rubber coated versions of these, and you can still get them in pretty much every strength.

Old 11-02-2015   #91
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
The Fujis take the whole group of Nikon F2/FE/FM/F3 (non HP) compatible dioptres - there are rubber coated versions of these, and you can still get them in pretty much every strength.
I know... However, I am nearsighted and would not see anything out of the VF. Otherwise it should be glasses on/off most of the time and quite an annoyance.

I'm used to glasses and so and only find them a minor hinderance, but it's a good excuse to get rid of them, at least for a while.
I'm not that strongly nearsighted (-2), and people tell me that's not much... but enough to have really nice bokeh everywhere.

Old 11-02-2015   #92
harpofreely

I voted "no problems" but that's a bit of a hedge - really it should be "no problems, any more." I started with an M2, couldn't see the 35mm lines, and thought the 50mm lines and rangefinder patch were too small. It took me some experimenting to arrive at what works for me: M3, with goggled 35mm Summicron for 35mm. The M3's 50mm frame lines are perfect for me; I can see them in their entirety, and not much more. I'd already trashed some glasses on SLRs, so I started right out with a thin adhesive foam ring on my M3 viewfinder.

- Henry David Thoreau

Old 11-02-2015   #93
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

I use diopters on all my cameras. I am nearsighted but can see well enough to not trip over anything. So put my glasses on top of my head.

I have never actually focussed an RF camera, I used them full time for many years in the '70s, and set lenses at 5.6. I find rangefinder focussing too fussy and slow for my taste, but love the clear view!

No vote in the poll for taking glasses off.

Old 11-02-2015   #94
Manuel Patino

I wear glasses and sometimes focusing through the VF can bet a PITA. I chose the first answer, but my glasses do not get scratched that I can notice. It's just that it was the closest answer for me. Yes, wearing glasses and looking through the RF viewfinder can be a challenge. I did purchase one of those Breton magnifiers but it did not really help me. Perhaps I don't know the best way to use it.

I do experience a lot of difficulty seeing the frame lines of the wide angle lenses with the M240 so I always get more in the frame than I thought... But that is what the cropping tools in LR or the other programs are for One day I'm going to get the surgery correction and then I will probably see the world through the VF as it truly is

Old 11-07-2015   #95
fixbones
.......sometimes i thinks

I wear glasses and gets along pretty well with RFs.
I can get by easily with focusing and framing 50mm with my M4
Framing with 35mm is just OK. 28 mm is impossible
I generally go for harder lenses on my glasses therefore more scratch resistant

Having said that, whenever I wear my contact lenses.
Looking through the viewfinder is like phwoaaarrr! I can see the world

Old 11-09-2015   #96
Cyriljay

I am using glasses for reading and it is getting more and more worse . But looking through a RF docent's need for me to focus so I do not use my glasses to use all of my Manuel focusing cameras.

Old 11-12-2015   #97
Ronald M

Leica eye pieces have rubber rings for protection for some time now.

In years past, I have scratched many a plastic lens,, however lenses today have hard coatings and are relatively scratch proof.

Wide lens with RF remain a problem. Take glasses off and use diopter correction.

No problems with rangefinders
Old 11-14-2015   #98
dtcls100

No problems with rangefinders

The rangefinders I use are the Mamiya 6 (6x6) and the Olympus 35SP. The Mamiya has a rubber eyepiece that takes diopters, so I just flip my glasses up when taking pics. No problem.

The Oly 35SP has a plastic eyepiece frame that doesn't scratch glasses. Because it doesn't take diopters, I just keep my glasses on. Again, no problem.

Old 11-14-2015   #99
newspaperguy

I discovered that my left eye is strong enough to focus without my glasses on.
Prior to that, I soundly scratched many a plastic lens, especially with some of my old Russki cameras and finders. There is however, a very cheap solution that I posted here about four years ago:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...9111.SEQ.0.jpg

Those are "Dr. Scholls" (sp?) corn pads, don't use the genaric... adhesive not as good.

My five -star rated children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

is now available for Kindle and other readers.

This semi-animated version of the hardbound edition
may be just perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old,

Available from Amazon.com, of course.

Old 11-14-2015   #100
Pioneer

My eyeglasses are made of real glass. No scratches for me.

However, I do believe that wearing glasses influences my enjoyment of lenses wider than 35mm. At about 28mm I begin to lose sight of all the framelines.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 01-15-2016   #101
ssmc

I would like to vote #3 but that's only partially true - I can shoot through a viewfinder without them but now (sadly) I need them to see all but the largest controls in less-than-good light due to age-related presbyopia (as someone commented when watching me struggle to adjust settings on a DSLR, "you need longer arms, mate")

Having a close friend who has suffered (and I mean, suffered) all his life with defective close vision, to the extent of having both corneas transplanted and lasered back into shape, and he still needs glasses, I am truly grateful for the eyesight I have!

Old 01-15-2016   #102
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
My eyeglasses are made of real glass. No scratches for me.

However, I do believe that wearing glasses influences my enjoyment of lenses wider than 35mm. At about 28mm I begin to lose sight of all the framelines.
I also have real glass lenses, but its the coating that gets mangled by the metal eyepieces.

Some Fuji gear; Speed Graphic (gathering dust); Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 01-15-2016   #103
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
For some folks this is a non-issue. For others, the difficulties are really and something we have to live with. I started using rangefinders in 2005. Even over this short time, I'm aware that my eyesight is getting worse, and that rangefinder focusing (even with my excellent Leica M) is becoming more difficult.. . ..
I voted option four because I live with and don't think about it too much. But my eyesight is not getting any better that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcons View Post
I have thought of selling my IIIf, too, now that it is now replaced by the Bessa R4M. I primarily bought the latter for its much bigger VF, and built-in framelines.

However, I can't let the IIIf go, I've gone quite attached to it.
I would never let my IIIf go as I have found it (a) the easiest camera to focus on and (b) the most reliable in producing good results. Have Bessa-T and R and tried M6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Before I finally gave up on rangefinder cameras, I was almost always resorting to using accessory Voigtlander viewfinders. . . ..
No point is using a M then. Thee III series can stand up to declining eyesight. I have the 25mm f/4 Snapshot Skopar: screw in, zone focus and frame through the Voigtlander auxiliary viewfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
I sold my lovely Canon P because I could not see the 35 mm frame lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creenus View Post
I don't care. I just deal with whatever scratches may ensue. I have used glass lenses before as they last longer and scratch less than plastic, but they are heavier.

I shoot a iiig, an M5 and a M6, and they all scratch to some degree.
I have no scratches with my IIIf. I think this is primarily a Leica M issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspaperguy View Post
I discovered that my left eye is strong enough to focus without my glasses on.. . . .
Good for you! Pure envy here I have suffered from pretty strong myopia since childhood, though it is worse in my left eye (fortunately).

Old 01-16-2016   #104
Chromacomaphoto

Great thread.

Re. ruining your glasses: Luckily good quality glasses are cheaper where I live than they ever have been so I have several pairs in different styles. Remember how expensive glasses were 20 years ago? There just weren't any decent and stylish cheaper options back then. I never used to like wearing glasses (been wearing them since I was seven), but I almost like it as I get a little older.

That said, I know that nearly all of them are scratched up quite a bit. Even a .72 finder is a challenge for me and I prefer a 35 on a Leica which means all of my street stuff involves very loose framing (because I just can't see some of it!). As for the oft touted traditional Leica advantage of being able to see what's outside of the frame and coming into shot, yeah right. Love the comment about owning an M for a year before even discovering it had 35mm framelines! I can relate.

It's easier if I shoot 50mm but I don't enjoy that focal length as much. I have been known to wear contacts if going out with the intention of just purely shooting street for a few hours but it always seems a pain to have to do that just for the sake of shooting plus I prefer the way I look in glasses nowadays anyway.

I think this is one of several reasons as to why I shoot my TLR's more and more. Ground glass waist or chest level finder action rocks for glasses wearers. Even using the sports finder on the 'Flex is fine for my glasses as long as I am careful. I find SLR's a bit easier but I always lose those Nikon rubber eyering inserts and I don't realise they are gone until I get home. By that time I've been scratching my glasses up all day anyway.

Helen, if my shots looked like yours, I'd be ok ruining my glasses too.

Old 01-16-2016   #105
jsrockit

I wear glasses and make do with any camera worth the time to use.

I can't see
Old 01-16-2016   #106
randolph45

I can't see

On vacation in NYC I took my customary extra pair of glasses for emergency use(bending over the Brooklyn Bridge and loosing them would be possible)
I like to read the local paper on trips and I was having trouble with the ear piece so I pulled out my other pair and BAM the print was BLACK and not gray.The coating had slowly failed with out me noticing.
I do have mild trouble with rangefinders and glasses combos ,but my glasses do end up looking bad after two years use anyway.

Old 03-16-2017   #107
Pistach
Dilettante artist

I too use dioters.
So it seems to me that the poll is not correctly formulated

Old 03-16-2017   #108
Pistach
Dilettante artist

Edit: Diopters

Old 03-16-2017   #109
kossi008
Photon Counter

Didn't vote , as I fall somewhere in the middle between the -900% fun and no problems at all categories...
It did help my decision NOT to buy a Leica 0.72x camera; my solution is the Zeiss Ikon...

No diopters available in my strength, so that's not an option... (my wife finds it remarkable how someone with such bad eyesight can be so obsessed with sharpness )

Old 03-16-2017   #110
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

I have always used a diopter when possible. For some reason not a choice.

Old 03-16-2017   #111
Ronald M

I scratched many a pair of glass glasses back in the day. Tried tape and O rings without much success. Astigmatism coupled with nearsighted shut out diopters.

Now FINALLY Nikon has rubber around eyepieces. Leica has added rubber around camera eyepiece. The diopters have a proper built in O ring. I use a +1 diopter on the Leica and my regular glasses. The +1 allows distance portion of eyeglasses to focus to 3 feet and regular glasses fix astigmatism. Nikon has user adjustable eyepiece.

This set makes me a happy camper.

Old 03-16-2017   #112
one90guy

I voted eyeglasses no problem, but forgot on my Canon P the 35mm frame line is almost impossible to see. but I bought a hot shoe mount viewfinder just for that reason. Love the camera to much to ever get rid of it.

Must add, since getting the Canon have never shot 1 frame due to surgery in February. But it has been fondled and lots of make believe photos in the house and sitting on the porch.

David

Old 03-16-2017   #113
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I've been wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade, progressives since about a dozen years ago. Sure, they get in the way now and then, and I almost never see the 28mm frame lines in an M finder. Eh? who cares?

I can focus any camera—RF, SLR, EVF, Ground glass—with perfect accuracy and precision anyway. And get joy out of it. I've learned how not to scratch my glasses too.

G

Old 03-16-2017   #114
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I've been wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade, progressives since about a dozen years ago. Sure, they get in the way now and then, and I almost never see the 28mm frame lines in an M finder. Eh? who cares?

I can focus any camera—RF, SLR, EVF, Ground glass—with perfect accuracy and precision anyway. And get joy out of it. I've learned how not to scratch my glasses too.

G

Ditto, but the high eyepoint F3 was really a revelation to me. In my old age I am barely nearsighted thanks to new in-eyeball lenses set for computer work.

Old 03-16-2017   #115
Pentode

Aside from reading/close work, I need to do nearly everything with my eyeglasses on, so I don't really think about it much. I've always used RFs with glasses so I have no sense of perspective - no other experience to compare it to.

Old 03-16-2017   #116
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
Ditto, but the high eyepoint F3 was really a revelation to me. ...)
Indeed... the F, F3hp, Leicaflex SL, and R8 viewfinders were the best SLR viewfinders I ever found due to my needs for glasses.

G

Old 03-16-2017   #117
bayernfan

a poll option for camera diopter would be welcome.

my vision is not terrible (-2.5), however, i do wear glasses for the most part. when walking i'll have them on and when I happen upon a scene, pop them up on my head, and use the diopter for critical focus / composition.

Old 03-16-2017   #118
Mr. Fizzlesticks

With RFs I just use the lens one down from max. On the Hexar RF it is the 35 and 50. On the M3 it is the 90 and 135. Works ok.

Aki-Asahi used to sell leather donuts that were peel and stick. I use them on the M3 and any other metal eyepiece. If you clean the eyepiece with alchol before you mount them, they would stay. Still fall off eventually though. He sold them in a sheet of maybe 6 or so. Don't know if he still does, but they are the best solution aside from replacing the eyepiece with something newer.

Contacts are great. Pain to use though, especially tiresome after decades of use. I just use glasses these days.

It is not the camera in your hand dingleberry; it is the brain in your head.

Old 03-17-2017   #119
pagpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
I use diopters on all my cameras. I am nearsighted but can see well enough to not trip over anything. So put my glasses on top of my head.

I have never actually focussed an RF camera, I used them full time for many years in the '70s, and set lenses at 5.6. I find rangefinder focussing too fussy and slow for my taste, but love the clear view!

No vote in the poll for taking glasses off.
+1, up there above. I used to use scratch protectors and found them wanting. I now use diopters and that solves several problems: no scratched lenses, easier to see wide frame lines, less disposable income. I simply flip my glasses to my forehead when I need to shoot.

Old 03-17-2017   #120
music_healing

I wear glasses... cant use contact..

shoot everything from 25-90 in RF...

dont feel any problems...

for 25-28 I simply use Voigtlander R4M
for 28 up .. no problems with standard RF in 0.72 x
try 0.58 two times.. but the quality of the RF in M6 and MP .. both dissapoint me .. R4M beat those two

Sincerely
William Jusuf